• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Survey

The feel of Unity definitely feels different from the american saga. I'd honestly have trouble with AC3-4 if i were to attempt to play them. And playing a game, and watching a game are two very different things. I tend to do the former before deciding whether or not a game is good. I most definitely enjoyed Watch Dogs as well since it lets you play however you want, which after coming out of Grand Theft Auto 5 was a god send, the much better movement system and gunplay certainly helped in that regard.
That's because playing Unity is like trying to ride a bicycle with no handles and a flat tire. The America games are like riding an actual bicycle.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Again, things like level design is better experienced by being played, first hand experience regarding any subject is better than just watching a video. That includes the idea of good level design. How does this level play, you haven't played the game. So you wouldn't know compared to someone who actually has. Try to form your own opinion based on first hand experience. Oh and here we go with the rockstar comparisons. The incredibly scripted mission design in Rockstar games is terrible for replay value. And poor world building? Before Unity Watch Dogs was a great example of how to do an open world city with next gen tech. The civilians having conversations, seeing things like car crashes leading to arguments, the little snippets of life that we could see by viewing webcams, people playing the same minigames as you and playing with toys, all of that is a part of world building. And when you're game is an open world TPS game, you'd better be sure to make sure that the actual shooting mechanics and movement feel great instead of having ridiculous amounts of auto-aim and tons of animation priority.

Firstly, I'm pretty sure that you were the one who started with the rockstar comparisons. Secondly, yes, GTA does have a lot of scripted missions. As does watch dogs/AC etc. GTA also does give you a lot of freedom at times, which I guess could also be said about UBI games. And yes, you made some good points about the world building comments, but like a lot of things in ubisoft games, it often feels half baked. See the aforementioned ambulance, the repetitive encounters, the fake reflections in the windows etc.

And yes, you're allowed to gripe about GTA, but the world rockstar created feels far more real and lived in than any ubisoft world. I also find your complaints about the movement a little rich when, over the course of at least six mainline creed entries, knee high obstacles were an issue for your badass parkouring assassin. Oh, and the lack of any real stealth system until the 7th entry in a series where you are meant to be an assassin is really pitiful.

No game is perfect. Truth be told, I've become pretty disenchanted with the aaa game industry as a whole, but assassin's creed really sticks out like a sore thumb for me. I love the idea behind it and I want to love it, but after too many entries, little change and so much wasted potential, I'm done. Over the course of the 7th generation, I gave ubisoft close to $500 of my own money for a series of games with declining quality, and I'm sick of it. You want me to play unity so badly? Send me a copy. That's the only way I'll play it. After years of frustration with dwindling quality and wasted potential, I've decided to vote with my wallet. Ain't giving them a penny until they actually try hard and earn it.

I'll close out my post by saying that I think you and a small group of others on gaf misunderstand people who feel like I do. We're not hating on ubisoft for no reason. We believe in the potential this series has, but we're not seeing any real attempts by ubisoft to realize that potential.

Jetman

I understand a lot of GAF'ers sullen negativity with the series. I'm personally not as critical with most games in general.
Interesting arguments here, and I don't really have anything to add, just glad for CrossingEden's one-man defense force for making me not feel so guilty for loving the games and series.

iNvid02

lol yeah i have a terrible habit regarding capitlization. it stems from having a shitty keyboard that beeped when the caps lock key was pressed, and not knowing you could capitalize using shift.

Keyboard-smash-o.gif

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I understand a lot of GAF'ers sullen negativity with the series. I'm personally not as critical with most games in general.
Interesting arguments here, and I don't really have anything to add, just glad for CrossingEden's one-man defense force for making me not feel so guilty for loving the games and series.

No need to feel guilty for liking AC, it's a great series with some legitimately brilliant games. The reason GAF hates on it so much lately is Unity, almost everything to do with it was a mess from start to finish. If Syndicate is good it will go some way to clearing AC's name.

Jetman

No need to feel guilty for liking AC, it's a great series with some legitimately brilliant games. The reason GAF hates on it so much lately is Unity, almost everything to do with it was a mess from start to finish. If Syndicate is good it will go some way to clearing AC's name.

Cool, and yeah, Unity was the first AC I didn't pick up right away thanks to all of the reactions from the glitching, chests only opening if you had an outside app that wasn't working at the time, etc. so I do appreciate some level of criticism, and my expectations of it are a bit tempered because of that. (Bought Unity on the cheap, wont start it yet until I 100% Rogue)
The rest of the criticism against the entire series can , for me personally, be levied against Call of Duty, Batman, any sports game, and a ton of RPG's. If I play an AC game, I know what I'm getting, just the same as if I played any of those others.

Epcott

I asked for MGSV & FFXV like weather effects, GTA Online inspired multiplayer, and countryside environments (Witcher 3) to break up the repetitive city exploration.

Then I nearly flipped when it mentioned Red Dead Redemption 2 at the end as what I'm looking forward to.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Firstly, I'm pretty sure that you were the one who started with the rockstar comparisons. Secondly, yes, GTA does have a lot of scripted missions. As does watch dogs/AC etc. GTA also does give you a lot of freedom at times, which I guess could also be said about UBI games. And yes, you made some good points about the world building comments, but like a lot of things in ubisoft games, it often feels half baked. See the aforementioned ambulance, the repetitive encounters, the fake reflections in the windows etc.

And yes, you're allowed to gripe about GTA, but the world rockstar created feels far more real and lived in than any ubisoft world. I also find your complaints about the movement a little rich when, over the course of at least six mainline creed entries, knee high obstacles were an issue for your badass parkouring assassin. Oh, and the lack of any real stealth system until the 7th entry in a series where you are meant to be an assassin is really pitiful.

No game is perfect. Truth be told, I've become pretty disenchanted with the aaa game industry as a whole, but assassin's creed really sticks out like a sore thumb for me. I love the idea behind it and I want to love it, but after too many entries, little change and so much wasted potential, I'm done. Over the course of the 7th generation, I gave ubisoft close to $500 of my own money for a series of games with declining quality, and I'm sick of it. You want me to play unity so badly? Send me a copy. That's the only way I'll play it. After years of frustration with dwindling quality and wasted potential, I've decided to vote with my wallet. Ain't giving them a penny until they actually try hard and earn it.

I'll close out my post by saying that I think you and a small group of others on gaf misunderstand people who feel like I do. We're not hating on ubisoft for no reason. We believe in the potential this series has, but we're not seeing any real attempts by ubisoft to realize that potential.
The world of GTA feels more modern than any ubisoft game, but if certainly doesn't feel more lived in. Again, things like civilians arguing with each other, a wife kicking out her husband for cheating, walking back into her apartment, and then throwing his clothes on the ground outside. Stuff like interior simulation
Watch-Dogs-gif.gif

and the fact that there are more interiors in general.

None of these things are half baked. Other developers aren't really trying these things in the first place. And again don't even get me started on the crowd AI of Unity being the best in the industry right now in terms of attention to detail and believability just by sitting down and watching them. How often do you see people having conversations in GTAV? When do you see couples holding hands? Or recognizing each other on the street, having a full conversation, hugging and then saying goodbye. Or four guys carrying their drunken friend home on their shoulders? Or walking into a pub to see everyone singing and dancing<---and also hearing this around the corner. Or a house party to see people having conversations? Stuff like that is incredible. And again, even if AC had problems with navigation before it always felt better to me than GTA. Especially in GTAV, where getting into cover while you're getting shot at can get you killed because of the animation priority. Especially in GTA online. And then there's Watch Dogs, a new IP that had more responsive movement and shooting than any other open modern world game at the moment.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9-jdbdzUHNk

and the most open mission design both with main missions and side missions. Imagine what they'll be able to do when the next entry is next gen only. And yes both ACU and WD have set pieces, it would be odd for a triple A game these days to not have them, but they're very far and few between especially in comparison to how scripted the main missions of GTA are.

RootCause

Speaking of watch dogs. It was a breath of fresh air. Gunplay was fantastic, and the world felt nice. The hacking mechanics were nice too, it was fun checking in their life. Some short comings, but those could be ironed out in a sequel. The driving was its weakest part, so. Hope they focus on that for the next game.

Top Bottom