• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Survey

Zalman

1. Repetitive
2. Boring
3. Stagnation
Close to mine:

CHY2ujXUAAA41Q8.png:large

rakhir

Ok, so i have just realized while doing this survey what is one of the main reason that the games don't click for me as the first ones.

The main conflict of the whole franchise, Assasins vs Templars, got completely fucked up in AC3.

The both groups are basically the same, you don't even realize you are playing as a templar for the first few hours of it, and want to do basically the same things with ancient technology.
The future timeline got completely destroyed in AC3 with really stupid shit, and because of that every part of historical characters quests involving anything 'alien' related is laughable. I don't care now about any artefact they manage to recover, because it doesn't matter in the long run.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If only I could be bothered to load up Unity and screenshot the area with those exact same building architecture, long runs of terraced four story buildings with wide streets. You're right though, obviously it's more modernised (obviously seeing as it's set nearly a century later) but it's the same design of building, down to the chimney stacks. Ah well, I concede, sorry you took the fanboy comment to heart so much.
I did some researching, and looking at some paintings/photos of the era it seem that chimneys in Paris and London looked quite similar, and are still used today even.
Here's a painting of the late 19th century Paris.
place_du_havre_paris.jpg

Now here's a photo of London, top left to be more specific
edwardian-london-28.jpg

And the highest point we saw in the syndicate demo.
dhwirg.png

Asset reuse makes sense in that context but they clearly added some new chimney models as well. Added smoke effects fit the era more too.

Here's a way more modern photo as well.
somewhere_out_there.jpg

They certainly used the same pseudo lego building tech from Unity that allows them to make believable cities more efficiently. There's a video where they give a quick outline on how it works.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I guess this thread just turned into "Syndicate is not copying Unity!" one. I don't feel strong to either way, but oh well.

I just talked about how it became a huge collectathon, how it got repetitive and stale. But should've definitely talked about non-lethal take downs, like Splinter Cell.

Amen. I said this plus return the Real World segments with a 3rd person character (which includes actually having an adventure story for the real world, not just hacking boring computers). I also said return to the "Those That Came Before" story arch. I also said, to return the Truth Glyph puzzles.
You and I are friends now. *high five

As people have mentioned, isn't the "Red Dead Redemption 2" mention kind of strange? Do they know something? Although they do also have listed "A new Elder Scroll", the rest are all games we know are coming out

Inspector Q

Man, it's kind of a bummer to see what has happened with the AC series. I loved AC2 and really enjoyed ACB. After that, though, it has kind of steadily fallen in my eyes.

When they asked me about what features from other game series I would want in AC, I told them to look to their own past titles for inspiration instead of trying to copy others.

Instead of completely axing competitive multiplayer, work on it and make it better. It had a unique concept, but with each passing game, you can tell they were just rehashing it over and over again. Still, don't remove it completely, just improve upon it.

Same with the modern day story. Don't remove the damn thing from the game. Give us another protagonist that we can follow to connect the games from one to the other. Can't believe how they ended Desmond and Vidic...what a joke, lol.

Also suggested that they bring back the glyhps/truth puzzles. Those things were amazing in AC2 and ACB. More meaningful side content like that is welcome.

I am at a point now where I have no problem waiting for AC games to hit a low price on a Steam sale or something like that. Whereas in the past I would have been all over the AC games day one. The newer games haven't really caught my eye and without the competitive MP to keep up the replay value, I see no reason to purchase early anymore.

Here's hoping they step up their game at some point, but I am not sure they are giving their devs enough time to do it...

First of all, this game has had more than two years of development.

An open world game of the scale they make needs even more time to develop. It doesn't matter that they spend multiple years on the game....its still a development cycle that is queued up in a line between future and current releases. This is why features get cut that were in previous games and bugs are rampant. There is no time for a real postmortem after they release one game. To truly look at and take what they got right or wrong into consideration, because the next game is already 75% into development. It's ridiculous.

I don't think this survey is going to effect Syndicate in anyway. It's PR. The game is out in freaking October. Unless Ubisoft wants to reveal some exclusive truth at E3 and finally admit they lost track of things and are delaying AC till they really feel that it is ready.

TheYanger

I wanted to type bullshit there. but I tried to be constructive. Single words made it hard to convey, so I used Padded. There are so many fun missions in these games...seperated by miles of bullshit ones that nobody likes.

Just done the survey and I was completely honest without being a dick about it, although I barely give a shit about the series any more. It did make me laugh that choosing The Witcher 2 deselected all the other choices, and the second trailer wasn't even available to watch so I gave that the minimum rating! Idiots should really get their shit sorted before running a survey like this.

My guess is that Syndicate is probably tracking very poorly for pre-orders so they're panicking and trying to work out why, without actually realising that people are just fucking bored with the series and its annualisation is finally becoming a problem. I mean, fuck, it's way more than once a year now if we count stuff like Liberation HD, Rogue and Chronicles.

Crossing Eden

An open world game of the scale they make needs even more time to develop. It doesn't matter that they spend multiple years on the game....its still a development cycle that is queued up in a line between future and current releases. This is why features get cut that were in previous games and bugs are rampant. There is no time for a real postmortem after they release one game. To truly look at and take what they got right or wrong into consideration, because the next game is already 75% into development. It's ridiculous.

I don't think this survey is going to effect Syndicate in anyway. It's PR. The game is out in freaking October. Unless Ubisoft wants to reveal some exclusive truth at E3 and finally admit they lost track of things and are delaying AC till they really feel that it is ready.
Well Unity took four years, two of which were a shot in the dark due to unreleased specs and no solid creative director. By the time Unity came out this game was in full production, something that's always forgotten is the huge amount of manpower that they have. And the Quebec studio is handling the lead development so that Montreal now has more time for the next one. The SP focus and iterative nature of this one should ensure less bugs as well. And considering they addressed the main complaints of 3 when 4 came out, as in missions were way too linear, so the assassinations in four took place over wide areas, but had wayyyyy to many ailing missions, Unity came out and only had two at most during the campaign. Although it's an open world game so there will be some bugs. It's inevitable. I mean look at the state of the Witcher 3 after multiple delays compared to say The Order 1886 where everything was polished to hell and back. Now if they were yet again building an entirely new version of the engine I'd agree with the worry of this title not getting enough development after only 2.5 years.

That's my main concern.

The impact of the responses to an AC game is only gonna be addressed two to three titles later if they keep pumping them out every year.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Well Unity took four years, two of which were a shot in the dark due to unreleased specs and no solid creative director. By the time Unity came out this game was in full production, something that's always forgotten is the huge amount of manpower that they have. And the Quebec studio is handling the lead development so that Montreal now has more time for the next one. The SP focus and iterative nature of this one should ensure less bugs as well. Although it's an open world game so there will be some bugs.It's inevitable. I mean look at the state of the Witcher 3 after multiple delays compared to say The Order 1886 where everything was polished to hell and back.

"some bugs" lol... Unity is filled with bugs, and TW3 is nothing better, both games have tons of bugs and glitches.

Kojima Productions shows that it's possible to make a polished open world game.

IGN: "Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is shaping up to be the most polished open world stealth game I’ve played"

And that was a preview build so the excuse "it's an open world game so there will be some bugs.It's inevitable." is silly.

If a developer like Kojima Productions cares enough they will polish the game to the teeth no matter how big the game is.

megalowho

Formulaic
Repetitive
Frustrating

I doubt this actually does much, the pipeline for the series seems too set in stone to do the drastic changes/risks the series needs for me to get back into it, but hey, might as well fill it out and give my two cents.

Sakura

Wow Syndicate looks pretty boring based on those trailers they showed.
The survey in general is shitty. Why can't I select Witcher 2 without it bugging out? Why is Witcher 3 on games I plan to purchase when it's already out and I've already said I played it?

I kind of gently tore them a new asshole. I wasn't rude or anything, but AC used to be so good that it's miserable seeing what it's become. Everything they do is seemingly to silence complaints without getting it. People complained about no females in Unity? They add Evie in Syndicate but she's barely playable and feels tacked on in the extreme.

I went off on the companion apps, the lack of 1080p, the bugginess, the repetitiveness, etc. Black Flag was the best one!

Can't
Animate
Women

I was honest for all of it. Tired of the main characters. Tired of the combat. Tired of hearing about a new one like every six months. Would like more of a focus on exploration and removing pointless collectables. A huge overhaul on how the combat works. Removing the annoying futuristic scifi crap from the series. Especially text in game. Better writing, etc etc.

I haven't played one since 2 but from everything I see I'm not missing much.

Crossing Eden

"some bugs" lol... Unity is filled with bugs, and TW3 is nothing better, both games have tons of bugs and glitches.

Kojima Productions shows that it's possible to make a polished open world game.

IGN: "Metal Gear Solid 5: The Phantom Pain is shaping up to be the most polished open world stealth game I’ve played"

And that was a preview build so the excuse "it's an open world game so there will be some bugs.It's inevitable." is silly.

If a developer like Kojima Productions cares enough they will polish the game to the teeth no matter how big the game is.
I don't think one of the single maps will be as big as Witcher 3 or as dense as Unity. Both have received a lot of patches since release. Heck Witcher 3 is still getting patched. Funnily enough the only bug i've received so far in W3 is a texture loading bug on one rock in Novigrad. Like, are you seriously trying to deny the notion that huge open world games usually have more glitches than linear games? Using one game as an example compared to the sheer number of other games, which btw had shorter development times and had known release dates for awhile.

I was brutal on my survey.

But I was honest, I loved AC1-Revelations but the series is so damn...stale by now.

Do something different! Make a linear, narrative driven game! ANything!

I could tell they were trying to see if people wanted more open world games by their questions unfortunately.

I don't even mind bugs or technical issues, or even boring gameplay sometimes if the narrative and characters are genuinely good, like the Witcher 3. Ubisoft's giant fuck you to the modern day story of AC1-3 rubbed me the wrong way as well.

Wagram

I spent a lot of space telling them how much of a failure Unity was for a series that is known for poor QA on launch. It was bad to the point where my faith in the series is basically at an all time low.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
I don't think one of the single maps will be as big as Witcher 3 or as dense as Unity. Both have received a lot of patches since release. Heck Witcher 3 is still getting patched. Funnily enough the only bug i've received so far in W3 is a texture loading bug on one rock in Novigrad. Like, are you seriously trying to deny the notion that huge open world games usually have more glitches than linear games? Using one game as an example compared to the sheer number of other games, which btw had shorter development times and had known release dates for awhile.

In what world is MGSV a linear game? well how about those games don't have shorter development times? how about Ubisoft takes a year or two or even longer off and tries to move the series forward like TPP does? Do you know when the last console Metal Gear came out?.. in 2008. Can you imagine an asscreed game being in development this long? without a doubt it would turn into a much better game.

A previewer compared MGSV a bit to AC but you know what he said makes TPP so much better? the game has heart, something that's been missing in asscreed since AC2.

About the release date... that's why you wait before announcing a release date, you should be absolutely 100% sure you can make this release date and not delay the game a million times like it happened with The Witcher 3. Again Kojima did exactly this, they took very long to announce a date but now we finally know the game comes out in September 1st and will not get delayed.

About your dense city in Unity... look i could now say yeah but asscreed doesn't have a mother base which you can fully customize, upgrade and in real time send you armory or items while you're on a mission etc.

Crossing Eden

Came for Crossing Eden. Was not disappointed.
One of the most annoying things in particular about ubi threads on gaf is the sheer amount of drivebys, false information, and blanket statements that get made. Meanwhile I support the things I say with video examples, gifs and pictures.
"Architecture is exactly the same. All AC games look the same"

"No it's not and no they don't here's why"

"Well you're just a fanboy anyway."

Everytime.

In what world is MGSV a linear game? well how about those games don't have shorter development times? how about Ubisoft takes a year or two or even longer off and tries to move the series forward like TPP does? Do you know when the last console Metal Gear came out?.. in 2008. Can you imagine an asscreed game being in development this long? without a doubt it would turn into a much better game.

A previewer compared MGSV a bit to AC but you know what he said makes TPP so much better? the game has heart, something that's been missing in asscreed since AC2.

About the release date... that's why you wait before announcing a release date, you should be absolutely 100% sure you can make this release date and not delay the game a million times like it happened with The Witcher 3. Again Kojima did exactly this, they took very long to announce a date but now we finally know the game comes out in September 1st and will not get delayed.

About your dense city in Unity... look i could now say yeah but asscreed doesn't have a mother base which you can fully customize, upgrade and in real time send you armory or items while you're on a mission etc.
I never said that it was linear, I said that's not that comparable to Unity or Witcher 3, which are "worlds" instead of small-large levels like in TPP if the previews are to be believed at least. And i guess chopping off the intro to the game and charging 30-40 bucks for it doesn't count as a console release. And again, you're taking a very rare situation and using it as a metric for the industry, time and budgets exist, do you really think that 2015 was the original release date konami had in mind when kojima pitched them the project, most games do't even have the luxury of getting let alone being allowed to not say anything about the release date and delay it behind the scenes several times before deciding "the game is ready let's now announce a release date after saying this game." I can't imagine that he didn't go over budget. Also, define upgrading in real time, will we actually see the construction of motherbase in real time? Or will we select options and then see the changes in-game, because it's no different from what we've seen in Unity if that's the case. And I can't imagine working at Ubisoft and seeing comments like yours on neogaf that imply that you're passionless about your job because your teams are large amount to handle annual release dates. Its an incredibly toxic and misinformed mindset.

RootCause

It's going nowhere. It's been surpassed by games with just one entry(Middle Earth), and other games combat have been getting better while AC does nothing.

Trickster

collectathon
repetitive
ambitious

The ambitious one might seem strange, but I think that in a lot of ways the series does seem to strive for some impressive things. Visually Unity could look absolutely incredible, combined with the size of Paris and masses of people, shit like that seems pretty ambitious. Too bad it didn't work out very well.

Monocle

Everyone encourage them to trim the fat (fewer pointless collectibles and generic sidequests) and have longer dev times for numbered sequels. Please.

RootCause

Everyone encourage them to trim the fat (fewer pointless collectibles and generic sidequests) and have longer dev times for numbered sequels. Please.
Don't forget to improve combat, and add different enemy types. That too can add more variety to the gameplay.

SRTtoZ

Oh I did. I went in heavy. Lets see if they actually read it instead of some random intern picking from random surveys.

Vibranium

Banned
Might as well....l0l

OymcmUo.png

I tried to be a little nicer and simply asked for Steam achievement tracking alongside my uPlay ones. I was shut down by their uPlay team guy before but I'm not giving up on that one.

Anyways, I also asked for more meaningful side quests like Brotherhood, I may return to the series once there's more in that department and they series cuts down on collectibles. Make less equal more in terms of stuff you discover.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member

Lets first wait until MGSV is out before we decide how linear and polished it is or isn't, aye? IGN preview doesn't mean squat.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Yeah, this franchise is not pulling me in any more.

• Cliff-hanger-y (Something like that)
  • Repetitive
  • Unsatisfying

Artex

Banned
I told them how I really feel.
They are all legitimate criticisms.

-Too much hand holding and not enough discovery.
-A dumb story that should have just followed different assassins through different time periods. Such a waste of a cool concept.
-too many collectibles.
-too much crap on the hud.
-atrocious combat again and again.

The games are big budget stink bombs that could be so much more. I know the developers might take offense to this but if you imagine this franchise on the hands of more talented developers it could be so cool.

Walpurgis

Banned
Since they were looking for games to copy, I told them to copy The Witcher 3. With their resources, they should be able to release that shit annually.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Repetitive
Parry
Long-Winded

I also complained about the boring chase quests, the tiresome dialogue, and the inability to find importance in the game's world.

I tried my best at telling them that I haven't really enjoyed this series since Revelations.

The quests are so dull to me. I hate the conversations in the games and I want more out of it. I told them I might buy it, but I'm not sure. They got rid of Desmond and it feels like it's a game for newcomers and people who just think it's cool or something.

I also said the mocap characters are starting to look like wax models.

IMO you get more out of the newer AC games if you got paid to play the AC games or you got it for free or you're 16 and your parents came home with a copy.

Seventy70

I said I wanted more sandbox elements. I really hate how they script every single detail about it. I want to make my own fun sometimes. Let me go around killing people and fucking around.

Hollow

Repetitive
Stagnant
Dated

Those were my 3 words.
It's funny how similarly everyone's choice in words was. Hopefully Ubisoft gets enough feedback to make some desperately needed changes to the series.

Also posted some ideas for the series I had in the "what other action/adventure game features would you want to see" section of the survey; as well as saying they shouldn't be asking for implementations from other games but just ideas that could be added to AC. Stealing concepts from other games is how you get terrible clones and I'd rather they just try to come up with more original ideas for their own game.

Top Bottom