• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

jony_m

Game is not well optimized but HBAO+ Ultra is really worth turning ON.

On a 4690k/980ti I had to settle for 1440p/45-60fps to keep it ON:

Ultra/Highest Env+textures
HBAO+ Ultra
High shadows
MSAA2x+FXAA
AF16

It sat around 52-55 on most cases but also hit 60 frequently. Downgrading to HBAO+ kept me above 60fps on a more constant basis.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Indeed. I think HBAO+ Ultra has a huge effect on the overall image. I dropped AA down to FXAA in order to keep it on.

belmonkey

Is it just me, or is this guy always underselling the PC versions? He always maxes every game out with every performance killing option and talks about how good the PS4 is in every platform comparison? Maybe it's just me.

I can't help but think his use of an AMD GPU and CPU together is doing performance a disservice as well due to higher CPU overhead with AMD GPUs.

empyrean

Sorry if its been mentioned or asked but has anyone ran this in windows on a 5k iMac (late 2015 with the 4gig m395x), obviously not expecting 5k resolution (1440p would be nice) nor am i expecting ultra settings but want to know that its playable before i took the plunge.

Again, wtf is going on in that video. Nvidia Gameworks features on max settings and 1080p on a single 970 vs the PS4???

What a shitty comparison.

Parsnip

Älg;188296667 said:
What is he claiming?
Maybe claiming isn't the right choice of word.
Lets just say that his "expert analysis" doesn't quite align with what most people (me included) with similar rigs are experiencing.

Saints Row 2 is what comes to mind for me.

Arkham Knight, too, of course.

Saint Row 2 really crosses line from badly optimized to straight up broken.

sgs2008

Have there been any improvements to sli scaling since launch ? Has anyone come up with better sli bits than the default ones ?

Video seems to be down and I didn't watch it yet. Is there a reupload somewhere?
I assume they took it down because it was blatantly spreading false information. I don't think there's a re-upload, but essentially, they claimed that the PC port was poorly optimised because everything on max (incl. game works stuff) and the 2x temporal AA on a single 970 had poorer performance than the PS4.

Like, really... of course it will.

I assume they took it down because it was blatantly spreading false information. I don't think there's a re-upload, but essentially, they claimed that the PC port was poorly optimised because everything on max (incl. game works stuff) and the 2x temporal AA on a single 970 had poorer performance than the PS4.

Like, really... of course it will.

thats not what he said. he showed perf at maxed settings but that wasnt his base of comparison to the ps4. it was just there as another info point.

So with the frame rate capped for 30FPS I've managed to enable HBAO+Ultra, MSAA 2x+FXAA and PCSS while my 970 still has a bit of headroom to spare.

NXGamer pulled his video? lol Did he give any explanation or did he just do the "internet journalism" thing and pull it without saying a word or retraction?

Is there a fix for the weird frame rate on the character (cloth?) animations?

Not yet.

iNvid02

Is there a fix for the weird frame rate on the character (cloth?) animations?

i inquired about this because i can't handle it lol, one of the community managers told me it's been passed along to the dev team and awaiting a response from them. if they choose to fix it, i don't expect it until 1.04 after new year.

Dr Dogg

Well Cloth Animations/Physics has been added to the list of know bugs on Ubi's forums (I guessing thanks Esco). Oddly at about the same time my support ticket for the same (and a few other) issues got the status changed to 'On Hold'. So at least they're aware of it and not attributing it to the crazy vsync 'solution' I first got.

CHC

Well Cloth Animations/Physics has been added to the list of know bugs on Ubi's forums (I guessing thanks Esco). Oddly at about the same time my support ticket for the same (and a few other) issues got the status changed to 'On Hold'. So at least they're aware of it and not attributing it to the crazy vsync 'solution' I first got.

That's good news! I doubt it will remain as a bug forever, I'm sure they're working on something.

Watching the NXgamer newer video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_QPUYq_b8

I'm getting about 20-30fps more at 1080p console settings on my 970. Also he runs a 2gb card at 1080p instead of 900p which is odd. With things like AC and Batman, you can't really test and old PC card from 2012 with 2gb of ram. For Witcher 3 and Fallout you'll be fine as they don't really exceed 2gb.

And quell surprise, MSAA is a killer in this engine. Exact same with Unity.

7870 would be a disaster with only 2gb of vram. Not only that PS4 is running at 900p.

yes but the 7870 is faster than the ps4 and especially the xbone. even at 900p the 7870 fared worse in his testing

Watching the NXgamer newer video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri_QPUYq_b8

I'm getting about 20-30fps more at 1080p console settings on my 970. Also he runs a 2gb card at 1080p instead of 900p which is odd. With things like AC and Batman, you can't really test and old PC card from 2012 with 2gb of ram. For Witcher 3 and Fallout you'll be fine as they don't really exceed 2gb.

youre getting 80 to 90 fps with a 970?

yes but the 7870 is faster than the ps4 and especially the xbone. even at 900p the 7870 fared worse in his testing

youre getting 80 to 90 fps with a 970?

Which point in the video does he show testing the AMD 7870 at 900p?

I'd rather he test a NVidia 3-4gb PS4 equivalent or even a GTX 660 or something. We know AMD are slow out the gate and have some issues. We see with eurogamers Fallout 4 AMD cards suffer.

Yes I'm getting 80-90fps console settings 900p on 970. Given its around 2.25x faster it's going beyond really along with higher LOD and AF. Do we know if the population is scaled back a touch on console? EDIT, FXAA is usually higher quality as standard as like in Unity.

I disagree with him about the extras in this redone video. PCSS does add a considerable difference and he likes the HBAO. TXAA needs MSAA and it's a performance killer as in AC Unity. If you're like icecold (TXAA lover) I guess its there for shimmer removal but I don't think it's some NVidia feature to be hailed or has anything to do with NVidia if it costs a lot as its the Deferred render and engine really tanking with MSAA, something we see across the board. So much a do about nothing really.

Game runs superb if don't use MSAA and can resist selecting PCSS ultra and stick with "just" PCSS. If you don't see much use in NVidia PCSS then console High shadows bring back even more frames.

Which point in the video does he show testing the AMD 7870 at 900p?

I'd rather he test a NVidia 3-4gb PS4 equivalent or even a GTX 660 or something. We know AMD are slow out the gate and have some issues. We see with eurogamers Fallout 4 AMD cards suffer.

Yes I'm getting 80-90fps console settings 900p on 970. Given its around 2.25x faster it's going beyond really along with higher LOD and AF. Do we know if the population is scaled back a touch on console? EDIT, FXAA is usually higher quality as standard as like in Unity.

I disagree with him about the extras in this redone video. PCSS does add a considerable difference and he likes the HBAO. TXAA needs MSAA and it's a performance killer as in AC Unity. If you're like icecold (TXAA lover) I guess its there for shimmer removal but I don't think it's some NVidia feature to be hailed or has anything to do with NVidia if it costs a lot as its the Deferred render and engine really tanking with MSAA, something we see across the board. So much a do about nothing really.

Game runs superb if don't use MSAA and can resist selecting PCSS ultra and stick with "just" PCSS. If you don't see much use in NVidia PCSS then console High shadows bring back even more frames.

towards the end he tests the 7870 at 900p. you originally said 20 to 30 more fps at 1080p on your 970.

towards the end he tests the 7870 at 900p. you originally said 20 to 30 more fps at 1080p on your 970.

He shows it for a few seconds and its running at 35-37fps which is much higher than most of the footage using the 7870 at 1080p and very reasonable performance, not a disaster.

I just rechecked my 970 testing as I did both 900p and 1080p and yes it's around 80fps 1080p and at 900p I get more in the 90s.

I guess the video now serves as a strangely worded mash up warning to not use MSAA/TXAA, and exceed video ram now.

Watching some more, PS4 is average 28fps. 7870 is averaging 33fps at 900p in the brief glimpse. Yes I know we don't have PS4 uncapped. XB1 dips even more so must be close and Unity on console was 20-30fps. Don't be silly and say PS4 is running this at 40-60fps.

Guess what, 7870 is about 20% better than a 7850. PS4 sits between a 7850 and 7870.

Using his own video for frame rates:

28fps + 20% is 33.6fps and PS4 is actually a bit better than a 7850 so we could say 10-15 but I'll be very generous and not even take that into account. What we have is bang on what you'd expect and to be honest I wasn't expecting it to that bang on and would not even be bothered if it took better hardware to match console.

I'm just using the video and the clips and setting he's used mind. The video is a mish mash of clips and points spliced together. Would be better if he showed a long test of PS4 and 7870 game play at 900p. I can't see any 7870 disaster, not anything really to concern anyone and my playthrough of Syndicate on my 970 is about what I'd expect and in-line in terms of fps looking at all the comparisons we've seen for the last two years which is 7850/70 about matching the PS4 and 970 running the game at 60-80fps, ie 2.25x the performance of PS4. We see this game after game.

Something a bit dodgy about running a 7870 1080p for most of the video. He seems to have an inflated view on the performance difference. It's about 15-20% and not going to handle 44% render cost, plus he knows the render cost as said in the video.

Barzul

This game is absolutely beautiful. I'm playing at 1440p with a 970 and i7 4970k.

Textures on high, environments on medium, shadows on medium, FXAA for AA. Don't know if I should wait for a few more patches. Hovering on 45-55fps.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
If they don't patch the cloth by the time the DLC hits, probably just grin and bear it through the game.

I bought the game but haven't started it yet, I'm just going to wait until it has seen a bunch of patches, which will give the DLC time to drop in price as well.

empyrean

Just in case anyone else is playing on a Mac. I can play at a decent frame rate @ 1440p on the setting of "high" with v-sync enabled. Games looks very nice indeed. Late 2015 iMac with a 4Gig m395x

This game is absolutely beautiful. I'm playing at 1440p with a 970 and i7 4970k.

Textures on high, environments on medium, shadows on medium, FXAA for AA. Don't know if I should wait for a few more patches. Hovering on 45-55fps.
What?? That fps is completely fine...

Kezen

Banned
Forcing AF not longer works for me. Forving 16xAF in other games like Unity works fine but it does not engage in Syndicate.

Strange.

Forcing AF not longer works for me. Forving 16xAF in other games like Unity works fine but it does not engage in Syndicate.

Strange.

its due to a bug in the nv Ctrl panel that has been there for quite some time. syndicate shares an exe name with some flight game, so youre actually applying 16x af to that flight game. use nv inspector to properly access the syndicate profile.

Kezen

Banned
its due to a bug in the nv Ctrl panel that has been there for quite some time. syndicate shares an exe name with some flight game, so youre actually applying 16x af to that flight game. use nv inspector to properly access the syndicate profile.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks a lot, I'm going to try that.
It's a bit weird though because the path is correct in the driver control panel.

Ah, that explains it. Thanks a lot, I'm going to try that.
It's a bit weird though because the path is correct in the driver control panel.

keep in mind, that 16x af doesnt work quite like youd expect on various surfaces due to the way lod works in syndicate along with the over blown lighting.

Corpekata

Banned
Sorry if this has been addressed, but what settings would I need to get 60fps at 1080p with a 4690k (4.5 Ghz) and a 980?

Tone down shadows probably to just PCSS or High. Environment at max is also very taxing at the highest setting with not a ton of visual improvement so I turned it down so I could enable HBAO+ ultra. Should be able to get HBAO+ Ultra and one of the better antialiasing at 1080 with that rig.

I'm on a 980ti at 1440p though. Those are my settings for locked 60, save for AA, which I had to tone down to FXAA, probably going to try injecting SMAA when I start playing again shortly. So a 980 at 1080 ought to be able to tweak a setting or two higher than me I'd wager.

Sorry if this has been addressed, but what settings would I need to get 60fps at 1080p with a 4690k (4.5 Ghz) and a 980?

a perfectly locked 60? or just an avg 60 most of the time?

environment - very high
shadows - high
texture - high
AO - hbao+

thats youre starting point. depending on how overclocked your gpu is, you might be able to squeeze in 2x txaa. thats the best combo of performance and IQ imo. pcss destroys performance and causes coverage issues with any of the AA methods.

dex3108

So they actualy did it :D

Assassin's Creed® Syndicate v1.31

• Added DLC Jack The Ripper support
  • Added additional parameter to AC.ini for disabling cloth motion 30FPS limits
  • Fixed crash in multi-monitor mode in London
  • Fixed FXAA with enabled MSAA
  • Fixed changing of display in fullscreen mode issues
  • Fixed flickering panel in World Map
  • Fixed various render issues
  • Fixed several online issues
  • Minor UI improvements

Durante

People complain a lot about Ubisoft's PC ports, but they are still in the top 25 percentile IMHO. Too bad I don't care for most of their games.

Strange.
You should have 16xAF on globally anyway ;)

Kezen

Banned
People complain a lot about Ubisoft's PC ports, but they are still in the top 25 percentile IMHO. Too bad I don't care for most of their games.

You should have 16xAF on globally anyway ;)

I should problaby do that indeed.
I agree with your statement regarding Ubi games on PC, by no means perfect at launch (if such a thing even exists) but they are usually very good soon after.

Syndicate is a very good PC version.

Top Bottom