• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

Parsnip

Actually it seems like there was a second patch about 5 hours ago, at least on Steam. Version number stayed the same though.

they have proven themselves highly incompetent. how many times can they introduce software with the same goddamned bugs?

I agree that they've fucked up more than once...badly (I was livid when they introduced that flickering puddle SLI bug in Unity earlier this year). However, this does not give you the right to call *anybody* "monkeys".

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
My version is stuck on 1.21. Any way to prompt the update?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
oh, the game is so jaggy with just fxaa. much more so than unity.

Doesn't look that bad to me, but I could see why some people would want a higher IQ. I prefer the higher frame rate, personally (only running a 970).

Doesn't look that bad to me, but I could see why some people would want a higher IQ. I prefer the higher frame rate, personally (only running a 970).

Yeah this is one of the few games where the higher framerate loses alot of its benefit due to the controls being super laggy regardless of framerate and the animation being jank city.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Looks quite poor, especially after unity. Full of glitches, bugs, awkward transitions etc
Although there are some animation issues, they're quite good, (actually they won an animation award which is pretty neat >_>).
BCKVsnK.gif

yZmbNfy.gif

I would refer to FO4 as "jank city." You're right that they're not as good as Unity tho but then again there's less animation priority and as we saw they improved majorly from that first build they showed to the public.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It's a shame Evie gave up her cane for brass knuckles in the Jack the Ripper DLC.

Can I 60 fps this @ 4k with 980TI sli and i7 4790k 4.6 ghz? or no sli support?

SLI support is there, but multi-GPU utilisation is quite poor.

Corpekata

Banned
I get animation wonkiness all the time in street fight type encounters. Fight clubs are especially bad.

I've also had a carriage or two seemingly touched by the Hand of God by the way they flip the fuck out just standing there sometimes.

Not surprised they won an award for animation. I progressed in the game a bit more last night and seen 3/4 new animations that were pretty incredible.

icecold1983, are you running TXAAx4 when trying to play Syndicate? I found in Unity and Syndicate MSAA x4 is a killer, causes much lag and jank but I only have a lowly 970. I'd be surprised a 980ti could do MSAAx4 seamlessly. I didn't watch the video, sorry.

Not surprised they won an award for animation. I progressed in the game a bit more last night and seen 3/4 new animations that were pretty incredible.

icecold1983, are you running TXAAx4 when trying to play Syndicate? I found in Unity and Syndicate MSAA x4 is a killer, causes much lag and jank but I only have a lowly 970. I'd be surprised a 980ti could do MSAAx4 seamlessly. I didn't watch the video, sorry.

I was running 2x txaa but im not playing anymore untill they fix the aa they just broke

Although there are some animation issues, they're quite good, (actually they won an animation award which is pretty neat >_>).

I would refer to FO4 as "jank city." You're right that they're not as good as Unity tho but then again there's less animation priority and as we saw they improved majorly from that first build they showed to the public.

Some animations in a vacuum are good, but as whole its janky imo. Just because fallout is worse doesn't make this good. The majority of the animations also randomly speed up and slow down. Its very off putting.

I also dont understand how despite animation having lower priority, the controller response is so much worse and less precise than unity.

Kezen

Banned

Agreed and many people underestimate the challenges that come with open world games. The number of objects you can collide with must be hell for animators, I'm really impressed even though they are not perfect.

Unity also had great animations, in fact most Ubisoft games I can think of had really good animations, I fondly remember Sam Fisher from Splinter Cell 3.
The crouching animation changed the closest you were from an enemy, it was stunning back in 2005.
What a technological triumph this game was.

I get animation wonkiness all the time in street fight type encounters. Fight clubs are especially bad.

I've also had a carriage or two seemingly touched by the Hand of God by the way they flip the fuck out just standing there sometimes.

I've seen carriages randomly fall from the sky and crash to earth in the middle of nowhere more than once. It's a bug I can really get behind.

Crossing Eden

Some animations in a vacuum are good, but as whole its janky imo. Just because fallout is worse doesn't make this good. The majority of the animations also randomly speed up and slow down. Its very off putting.

I also dont understand how despite animation having lower priority, the controller response is so much worse and less precise than unity.
I definitely wouldn't say that it's not good. It's a lot less grounded than other AC games. And the issue you may be having is that there are less commands to input than in Unity. So things like inputting a jump right before you hop off of a ledge aren't possible, which is imho a change for the worse because I'd rather be able to make a mistake and kill myself than be relatively safe. They need to give back the full control of the character while having very little animation priority. This is the best video that demonstrates how much control we had.

I definitely wouldn't say that it's not good. It's a lot less grounded than other AC games. And the issue you may be having is that there are less commands to input than in Unity. So things like inputting a jump right before you hop off of a ledge aren't possible, which is imho a change for the worse because I'd rather be able to make a mistake and kill myself than be relatively safe. They need to give back the full control of the character while having very little animation priority. This is the best video that demonstrates how much control we had.

The animation in that video is what id expect a generational improvement to be over syndicate. So disappointing :/

Crossing Eden

The animation in that video is what id expect a generational improvement to be over syndicate. So disappointing :/
Unity was pretty ahead of it's time, (and ofc needed more time for polishing), I'm more disappointed in the hit to the facial animation in the cutscenes to be completely honest. It is this studio's first full game and they were fairly ambitious with the world so it's what it the expectation I had especially as the game went on. Makes you wonder how Montreal's title will be next year considering this gave them an extra year.

Unity was pretty ahead of it's time, (and ofc needed more time for polishing), I'm more disappointed in the hit to the facial animation in the cutscenes to be completely honest. It is this studio's first full game and they were fairly ambitious with the world so it's what it the expectation I had especially as the game went on. Makes you wonder how Montreal's title will be next year considering this gave them an extra year.

They gave them an extra year and it still is coming out with in the 1 year sequel cycle?
Does that mean they were originally going to have 2 AC games in 1 year? WTF

Dreavus

They gave them an extra year and it still is coming out with in the 1 year sequel cycle?

They already had a year like that with Unity and Rogue releasing at nearly the same time last year. Unity just ended up getting the lion's share of the attention.

Is everyone using HBAO+ Ultra. I can't decide if I like the look of it compared to regular HBAO+. The shadowing seems sort of...heavy handed, if that makes sense.

Otherwise this game is absolutely gorgeous and runs great.

Crossing Eden

Nah. These are things that are planned years ahead of time. The Montreal studio wanted more time to experiment during development so the next one might be a bit of an overhaul or they're working on the next overhaul. Montreal wasn't planning to release an AC title this year. I don't think they'll ever be releasing multiple main titles a year again. Which has the caveat of not being able to have a WD level delay because another title is coming the next year. ._.

Is everyone using HBAO+ Ultra. I can't decide if I like the look of it compared to regular HBAO+. The shadowing seems sort of...heavy handed, if that makes sense.

i dont use it because i dont think its worth the 25% hit to performance it incurs. more often than not it doesnt even provide that large of a visual improvement. its really scene and lighting dependent. regular hbao+ is a solid improvement across the board and the performance hit is much smaller.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

HBAO+ Ultra makes the game look a hell of a lot better in my opinion. Photo realistic at times.

I had to drop it down to normal HBAO+ in the
World War I
sections since HBAO+ Ultra causes the game to crash at times in that area, but the difference was quite stark. The game looked a lot flatter with normal HBAO+.

Nvidia have a good HBAO comparison guide.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-syndicate-graphics-and-performance-guide

Also seems to be a 5% performance hit over HBAO and 10% between no AO and HBAO ultra, not 25% lol according to Andrew's testing. Not noticed a large hit myself either but will check later, seemed like a very minor hit when trying weeks ago.

Performance: HBAO+ costs less than 2 frames per second for a tremendous improvement in image quality, while HBAO+ Ultra costs just 4 frames per second for an even greater improvement, making it a must-have almost all systems.

Nvidia have a good HBAO comparison guide.

http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/guides/assassins-creed-syndicate-graphics-and-performance-guide

Also seems to be a 5% performance hit over HBAO and 10% between no AO and HBAO ultra, not 25% lol according to Andrew's testing. Not noticed a large hit myself either but will check later, seemed like a very minor hit when trying weeks ago.

25% for me. Maybe running with pcss ultra and 4x aa causes bottlenecks in parts of the gpu where enabling hbao+ ultra incurs a small fee. I was running shadows at high and 2x aa

CmdBash

Does forcing aa work in this game? Do I need to have a flag in nvidia inspector to make it work? Don't how the ingame fxaa blurs everything when I want msaa only.

WillyFive

I keep getting BSOD everytime I boot this game up. I'm up a creek without a paddle here. It runs really nicely too at very high settings too, until it explodes.

25% for me. Maybe running with pcss ultra and 4x aa causes bottlenecks in parts of the gpu where enabling hbao+ ultra incurs a small fee. I was running shadows at high and 2x aa

I'm getting up to a 10% reduction worst case when enabling HBAO+ ultra over HBAO. Tried 2xtx and 2xmsaa as well.

spent a lot of time with the settings and thought i had it good , but i just got in to london (After the lengthy pre-london opening acts) and my fps has dropped.

I'm running 1440p G-Sync
2 x 780Ti
4770k @4.4
16GB RAM

What setting should i be going for if i want a good IQ but no drops under 30?

I dont care about achieving a solid 60fp at all times, 30 and fluctuating above is fine, just not below 30.

Kezen

Banned
spent a lot of time with the settings and thought i had it good , but i just got in to london (After the lengthy pre-london opening acts) and my fps has dropped.

I'm running 1440p G-Sync
2 x 780Ti
4770k @4.4
16GB RAM

I dont care about achieving a solid 60fp at all times, 30 and fluctuating above is fine, just not below 30.

high environment
Medium textures
High shadows
HBAO+
FXAA

The game does not support SLI as far I'm aware so you are only one one 780ti, 1440p with modern AAA games is very demanding.

I'm running 1440p G-Sync
2 x 780Ti
4770k @4.4
16GB RAM

youre not going to be able to play with good IQ on a kepler card

My game is doing two annoying things:

1. Crashing right after I complete missions. It appears to save my progress just fine as I can start the game back up again and it'll pick up right where it crashed. Not really sure what to try to make the crashes stop.

2. Every time I start the game it sets the Active Input to Mouse + Keyboard instead of Auto, so I need to use the keyboard to change it back in order for my controller to be recognised. Is this a common issue?

cyen

My game is doing two annoying things:

1. Crashing right after I complete missions. It appears to save my progress just fine as I can start the game back up again and it'll pick up right where it crashed. Not really sure what to try to make the crashes stop.

2. Every time I start the game it sets the Active Input to Mouse + Keyboard instead of Auto, so I need to use the keyboard to change it back in order for my controller to be recognised. Is this a common issue?

The first point that you mentioned happens to me alot of times. AMD card?

WillyFive

I played a little bit again yesterday and it didn't BSOD or crash that time. Only thing I did different was that I did not make the character run around during the loading screen, I simply kept him stationary.

So the game is on sale on Amazon, and I was thinking of picking it up.

I can't figure out if there is good SLI support or not. I have SLI 970, and I wanna run this game at 2560x1440p and 60fps. Is that gunna happen or no?

iNvid02

are the murder mysteries really not coming to PC until after the ps4 exclusivity window expires in March? I feel like the gold editions usually came with everything even if it was labelled exclusive or timed in some way.

Top Bottom