• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Syndicate PC Performance Thread

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
of course not, my current setting is:

Environment: very high
Texture: high
Shadow quality: PCSS
AO: HBAO+
AA:FXAA

in the city its below 40-60 and when driving a carriage its below 50.
PCSS+HBAO+ are major performance hogs. Turning shadows to high should help.

UrbanRats

I'm currently playing on a 970, and i get pretty decent 60fps (didn't run FRAPS, i'm eyeballing it).
It dips of course, but not to alarming levels (although every once in a while it has micro stuttering, here and there, but nothing on the level of like, Watch Dogs).

I play on 1080p.

Env: Very High.
Text: High
Shadow: Medium
AO: HBAO+Ultra
AA: MSAA2x+FXAA

I found it a good compromise between image quality and performance.
I could probably lock it to 30 and push some downsampling and get better shadows, but it's not worth it, playing with 30 feels like going through molasses.

So yeah, lower the shadows.

DrAg0nBoY

So GAF I have a question. I am curently starting to play Unity on my Geforce 650 GTX and the game is playing at 15 to 20 frames. It is not great but it can't be helped (I know it is not even the minimum graphics card).

Now I would just like to know if I would have the same framerate or perhaps even lower when I try Syndicate? I know it is not on the minimum list, but I know the game is more optimised than Unity. Thanks for the answer.

yeah. change from PCSS to "high" and you should be able to keep 60+ most of the time.

ViviOggi

So GAF I have a question. I am curently starting to play Unity on my Geforce 650 GTX and the game is playing at 15 to 20 frames. It is not great but it can't be helped (I know it is not even the minimum graphics card).

Now I would just like to know if I would have the same framerate or perhaps even lower when I try Syndicate? I know it is not on the minimum list, but I know the game is more optimised than Unity. Thanks for the answer.
Should probably run slightly better, they toned down the crowds a lot as well. You can check Youtube for fps tests with that card. I skipped over a few and they were around 20-40fps. Make sure to look for daytime outdoor scenes though, that's where your performance will get rekt.

dr_rus

Did you try lowering the resolution? Syndicate runs about the same as Unity when GPU is the limiting factor.

bodine1231

The game is pausing for me for about a second every few minutes and I see my frames drop to zero,then it starts back up and zips back to 60. It's making the game completely unplayable.

DrAg0nBoY

Should probably run slightly better, they toned down the crowds a lot as well. You can check Youtube for fps tests with that card. I skipped over a few and they were around 20-40fps. Make sure to look for daytime outdoor scenes though, that's where your performance will get rekt.

Yeah I was looking at some youtube videos, but just wanted to know if somebody has some experiences with the game on that GPU :). Thanks anyways.

Did you try lowering the resolution? Syndicate runs about the same as Unity when GPU is the limiting factor.

Nope, that's the only thing I haven't done. Will probably do it, if the fps drops below playable. Thanks for the suggestion.

So I updated this today (finally back to my PC) and put in the line in the .ini file which worked but the game crashed leaving the loading screen, and now it won't get past the initial boot screen

DrAg0nBoY

I know this is not the Unity thread but thanks for this recomendation. I lowered the resolution as low as possible so at 1280x720 and now the game runs at 30 fps or higher (well I just tried it at the beginning of the game) and the menu screen is now at 25 fps and not at 10 as it was before.

So thank you again for that tip.

Can anyone help ?

I'm having weird aspect ratio issues running at 1680x1050 (16/10) Fullscreen. The game is stretched horizontally as you can see below. I noticed that going to windowed mode with Alt + Enter fixed the issue but I certainly don't want to play in a window :|

output_vafmemsfoda.gif

Latest AMD drivers by the way. Is there a profile to activate or a .ini trick to disable ? Stretch option anywhere ?

EDIT : Solved ! AMD VSR (Virtual Super Resolution) was the culprit. Disabling it fixes the issue :
https://steamcommunity.com/app/368500/discussions/0/451848854981120095/

sanstitre50qxh.jpg

ogbg

One thing to note for a few this might be an issue for. As well as detecting your system config at launch and adjusting settings to suit (badly I might add) it also seeing to take the aspect ratio of your highest resolution into consideration for when adjusting the safe area for UI elements. Now despite my native resolution being 3840x2160 my display also handles 4096x2160 which isn't 16:9 so prerendered cutsceens don't expand to the full display width, all my UI elements are slightly squashed and the tutorial overlays don't meet the edges of the screen. GTA V did this and it was a right pain to sort out but if you can make a custom resolution of 4096x2304, seeing that is 16:9 hopefully that will sort this mess out.

I'm having this exact problem. Does the custom resolution fix work?

b0uncyfr0

Can any 290x/390x user post their settings. Im trying to get a locked 50-60 fps but it just isn't happening.

Im forced to run it at 30 fps for now until performance improves.

Can any 290x/390x user post their settings. Im trying to get a locked 50-60 fps but it just isn't happening.

Im forced to run it at 30 fps for now until performance improves.

Seems like the support for this title is finished. Perf is likely finalized

Drop environment detail down 1 notch from max, hbao+, high shadows and fxaa should get you there at 1080p

b0uncyfr0

Drop environment detail down 1 notch from max, hbao+, high shadows and fxaa should get you there at 1080p

Excellent. Whats the scenario with AA? Im more than happy to run 1440p and reduce the damn jaggies if possible. Whats the best combination so far?

I tried the in-game FXAA and whilst its blurry ; it really is good at ridding jaggies. SMAA injected via sweetfx does a decent job but its not good enough. It doesn't get rid of enough lines to make it usable.

Excellent. Whats the scenario with AA? Im more than happy to run 1440p and reduce the damn jaggies if possible. Whats the best combination so far?

I tried the in-game FXAA and whilst its blurry ; it really is good at ridding jaggies. SMAA injected via sweetfx does a decent job but its not good enough. It doesn't get rid of enough lines to make it usable.

At 1440p try shadows medium and ssao. Dunno if it will get you to 50-60 tho. Aa wise id go with the ingame fxaa. Its the lesser evil in this particular title

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wish they patched this constant crashing, so annoying.
Performance are fine for me, otherwise.

Are you sure your RAM isn't error-prone? The game began crashing on me with increasing regularity following a RAM upgrade and, after letting Memtest run overnight, I eventually deduced that the culprit was the RAM. Indeed, after replacing the 16GB kit with another, the game didn't crash on me so much as once.

Parsnip

For whatever it's worth, only crash I had with the game was when I was using the first version of hattiwatti's freecam injector.
They have been working on title update 4, but who knows if there are any fixes in that or just hooks for the Last Maharaja mission pack.

WillyFive

I wish they patched this constant crashing, so annoying.
Performance are fine for me, otherwise.

The game crashes constantly with me too, not sure what it could be. Performance is very smooth at very high settings, but anytime I move the camera to look out in the distance (not looking at a wall) the game just crashes.

Are you sure your RAM isn't error-prone? The game began crashing on me with increasing regularity following a RAM upgrade and, after letting Memtest run overnight, I eventually deduced that the culprit was the RAM. Indeed, after replacing the 16GB kit with another, the game didn't crash on me so much as once.

Same thing happened to me. Crashes started when I added an additional 8 GB. Once I removed it then it went back to normal.

just bought this today, game crashes every time i hit enter at the title screen. any fix?

edit: looks like its afterburner causing it.

Nvidia has just released driver 361.91 WHQL which added or updated the following game SLI profiles:

• Assassin's Creed Syndicate - SLI profile changed (with driver code as well) to make the application scale better
• Bless - SLI set to SLI-Single
• Need for Speed - profile EXEs updated to support trial version of the game
• Plants vs Zombies Garden Warfare 2 - SLI profile added
• XCOM 2 - SLI profile added (including necessary code change)

http://www.nvidia.com/download/driverResults.aspx/98556/en-us

SomTervo

After the new driver I'm getting a bit of a dip in FPS. Feels like it's swinging between 45 and 60 rather than a near-solid 60. Feels far more inconsistent.

Could be that when I turned VSync on last week it didn't take effect until I next booted the game yesterday, but it's too stark a difference IMO.

PS haven't had a single crash

SLI scaling has definitely improved for me.

went from 22 fps to 42fps in the same location/time of day by turning on SLI.

GPU usage is around 97% most of the time in SLI now. Before it would dip into 60-70% in 4k.

Also, PCSS and PCSS Ultra no longer seem to break SLI scaling

no SLI -

SLI enabled

patch 1.4 dropped. txaa and pcss are still broken. lol ubi

I haven't played this in awhile, but was the grass pop-in always so agressive? Feels worse somehow.

Either way, they should give us some LoD options on PC. I hate how NPCs just materialize right in front of you

24923461950_6aeb4928a5_o.gif

Plum

Time to give this a bump. Got the game today and whilst it runs great with PCSS turned off the crashing is unbearable.

It happens during cutscenes, during loading screens, in menus and when changing resolution. Could it really be my RAM messing it up like some above have implied? If it is I don't really want to have to pay £60+ just to get the game running properly.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
How does this run these days? Still haven't played it yet, been waiting for it to be solid.

How does this run these days? Still haven't played it yet, been waiting for it to be solid.
It was always fine tbh. There are a few CPU bound areas and the cutscene are a hell of a lot more stressful on the GPU than gameplay so a 60fps in game doesn't mean a 60fps in cutscenes, but apart from that it's fine.

Running it off an SSD should help mitigate any streaming stutter, although that is an issue that affected consoles too.

Any tips on running with PCSS shadows on and not having framerate drop? I mean, it runs "OK" but if I drop it down to HIGH with most other settings maxed out, it runs flawlessly.

Any settings you recommend lowering to allow for smoother framerate with PCSS without much of a drop in quality?

My rig:
EVGA GTX 980 SC
i7 6700k
16 GB DDR4 Ram
BENQ 24" (gaming at 1080p resolution)

Here are my current settings:
hhPb.jpg

Any tips on running with PCSS shadows on and not having framerate drop? I mean, it runs "OK" but if I drop it down to HIGH with most other settings maxed out, it runs flawlessly.

Any settings you recommend lowering to allow for smoother framerate with PCSS without much of a drop in quality?

My rig:
EVGA GTX 980 SC
i7 6700k
16 GB DDR4 Ram
BENQ 24" (gaming at 1080p resolution)

Here are my current settings:
hhPb.jpg

i wouldnt combine pcss and the hardware aa solutions. pcss breaks the msaa coverage and perf tanks

Chris_C

So I picked this up during the steam sale. So far I'm happy with the performance, but I can't seem to get it capped to 60fps with RivaTuner. Anyone know why?

This is the only game as far as I know that makes my PC fans go loud, and not to mention the side of my case gets very hot. Has this happened to anyone else?

Maybe because it's pushing the GPU 99%.

It's wierd it never happens to anyone other games I have.

Top Bottom