• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassins Creed unity Patch 4 On Hold (Paris map being "refurbished")

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Oh, boy...

This is going to be a massive downgrade isn't it?

And the PC version will obviously be hit, too. The graphics are really just about the only thing going for the game. Hope they don't get hit too hard.

Code:
const int numMaxNPCs = 5000; // 10000;

On my PC at least, the size of the crowd barely seems to affect the frame rate.

DirtyLarry

Still have my unopened copy from Best Buy's B2G1 sale. Figure I will open it sometime early next year. Have plenty to play in the interim.

These reaction gifs are perfection in how evocative they are. Honestly, UBisoft needs to really look at themselves. EA maybe awful as well, but the culture over there is clear going through a transition that we can see (and hopefully for the better). Ubisoft needs to wonder how they let their biggest franchise, with the most significant entry to date, release in such a state that it's being patched an entire month later.

GameSeeker

This is the kind of game where you need to wait a year for Ubisoft's final patch (patch 10 maybe?) and then buy the game for $10.

Sohaim

Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us, and your feedback over these past weeks has indicated that it is important to you as well.
seriously? people are not stupid, i am pretty sure everyone knows that Ubisoft was aware of the problems Unity had.

-Cwalat-

Rigorous quality control is of paramount importance to us

giphy.gif

Basically they are cutting a lot of polygons out of the models and probably removing effects as well.

Probabally.

I think part of the problem is not the GPU rendering/shading the models as it is the CPU simulating the lighting and physics while trying to push a ton of polygons.

KorrZ

Hopefully this doesn't mean significant graphical downgrades. Just cut the NPC count in half. While it is impressive when you're actually playing the game, I would rather sacrifice that then to dumb down the graphics.

brau

Hopefully this doesn't mean significant graphical downgrades. Just cut the NPC count in half. While it is impressive when you're actually playing the game, I would rather sacrifice that then to dumb down the graphics.

Agreed. The tons of people on screen tend to just get in the way.

AndyD

aka andydumi
They already said they won't and gave some bullshit reason. The real reason they won't is because the "1000's of NPCs" on the screen at once was part of the gimmick for selling the game

They kind of painted themselves into a corner but the real question is whether reducing the NPC count would actually solve their issues at all. Some are suggesting that it would not.

what reason would be to downgrade PC graphics? the top gpus can play this game maxed out right? if they did that it would be worse than a shitstorm.
If they downgrade the console version to fix performance version, they could push this change to PC players too - like they did for Watch_Dogs city geometry and lights

JimPanzer

well ubi, you almost had me buying the game if the patch delivered. now with that quality-control comment I'll wait till it drops to 10$.

just the fact that your game needs a patch contradicts this statement ffs. why would they say something like that? to avoid debates and stuff, I guess - right?

Morts

I'm really curious to see what "refurbished" means in this case. This game has been endlessly entertaining despite my not having bought it yet.

chadskin

A couple of Q&As from the comments:

#1:
Q: When can we expect to get our free game?
A: The redemption website is almost finished and there will be news on how to get the free game very soon.

Q: "refurbish the paris map"...downgrade incoming?
A: We have never downgraded the graphics.

Q: Why announce it if you're gonna postpone it !!?
A: At the time we mentioned the date of Patch 4, that was the correct information. And more importantly, the truth. Things are always in flux when it comes to patches, and this was one of those times where it had to be delayed.

Q: I haven't been able to play online for 26 days. Is this something you have figured out and know that it will be in the next patch or is it still an enigma to you?
A: We believe that Patch 4 should resolve the bulk of the known issues, which includes online play. The objective with Patch 4 is for it to be the last patch we would need to apply, although we will retain devs to handle anything else that might come up or remain to be fixed.

That is not something we can promise, however, since all code contains some bugs.

As for Patch 4's release:
We hope to have it ready in the next couple of days, but that is just a very rough estimate.

omonimo

Banned
Mmm. They never speak clearly of significant fps improvement just of common issues .How much significant we are talking about? I'm not convinced at all.

The Lamp

Lol they shipped a broken game in November and they're still trying to fix it. They obviously didn't care what condition they launched it, they just wanted to get sales in time for Black Friday. Rigorous quality control my ass.

Sohaim

Q: "refurbish the paris map"...downgrade incoming?

A: No.

A: We have never downgraded the graphics.
HAHAHAH, watch dogs anyone? jokes aside i dont think Ubisoft has the courage to donwgrade the game now.

Monster Zero

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen the term refurbished used in content to actual game context, has that ever happened? What does that mean??

K' Dash

A bummer since I've been holding off on playing until they get performance better on PS4. I like what I've played so far (about 5 hours worth), and I look forward to going back.

Same here.

I'm balls deep playing Super Mario Galaxy 2 anyway, I can wait.

thelastword

Banned
So it appears that the patch still wasn't up to snuff. Ubisoft better make sure this thing is 30fps locked or they'll be looking like bigger fools than they already are. Don't know if that's possible though.

how can Ubisoft deny the obvious downgrade is beyond me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_9dMN9kJh8

5 seconds of google. ON PC(like I said) the game looks almost exactly like the reveal video. Few things changed here and there but overall looks damn near the same. I'm no apologist and could not care if Ubi went under, but these "downgrade" people yelling, only have a point when taken from their perspective. Doesn't mean it's that way across the board.

edit: I should say that, that video is based on a few ini changes and not a crazy heavy mod or anything.

Sohaim

5 seconds of google. ON PC(like I said) the game looks almost exactly like the reveal video. Few things changed here and there but overall looks damn near the same. I'm no apologist and could not care if Ubi went under, but these "downgrade" people yelling, only have a point when taken from their perspective. Doesn't mean it's that way across the board.

edit: I should say that, that video is based on a few ini changes and not a crazy heavy mod or anything.
i have tried many mods and no mod can bring back those explosions, hell look at the overall effects(even the lighting), no mod will bring it back.
Forget Ubisoft. How can someone like Krappadizzle says the unveil video looks damn near the final product is beyond me.
me too lol, not even moded.

SweetFX.

Top Bottom