• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Assassin's Creed Unity - PC Performance thread

Hopefully patch 5 fixes SLI for better performance.

Good news for Sli users. The texture flickering has been fixed. As far as performance goes, the latest patch also seems to have increased my performance by a few fps. I'm not on the latest nvidia drivers tough, wich are said to further increase the performance.

So how is it? I'm still conflicted about buying this game.

Didn't test too much but I ran around and it seems to run even better than patch 4 but nothing major... I don't have SLi so I don't know if it's fixed. All Companion App chests are now unlocked which is veeery good. Tho I never had any game breaking bugs in Unity, to me it's finally starting to be the game it should have been from the start. If you have a powerful PC you'll be fine.

paolo11

Good news for Sli users. The texture flickering has been fixed. As far as performance goes, the latest patch also seems to have increased my performance by a few fps. I'm not on the latest nvidia drivers tough, wich are said to further increase the performance.

Nice. What settings you got and what's your rig?

Getting slightly better performance during gameplay though I am still having random unexplainable stuttering/drops that match drops in GPU Usage. These seem to be less common though.

The SLI texture flickering is gone but now I'm getting some randomly "line" flickering across the screen. Seems to only happen though if certain particle effects are present or certain lighting (time of day, etc..) conditions are met. Clouds seem to flicker as well.

All ingame settings maxed.

i7-5930k
2 980 SLI
347.52 Drivers
1920x1200 Res

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Patch 5 is now up on PC. Downloading now, let's see what changed...

Tessellation is still absent, unsurprisingly, and just as I suspected earlier, Ubi was sitting on the patch for no real reason at all:

9 days ago said:
Changed depots
branches/tu5/buildid: 521007 › 522235
about 6 hours ago said:
Changed depots
branches/public/buildid: 473295 › 522235

Just fired this up for the first time in quite a while.

Nice to see I got Dead Kings DLC for free. And all the chests are now unlocked. I hope that's an admission that locking the content behind apps and outside webpages was a horrible idea. People barely have enough time to play the actual game, never mind get caught up in all that other bs.

As for performance, with a 970 and everything maxed, soft shadows, msaax4, the game runs very smoothly. It just hit me again what a stunningly beautiful game this is on PC with all the bells and whistles.

I reckon I will start this one over at some point and give it a proper go.

paolo11

Getting slightly better performance during gameplay though I am still having random unexplainable stuttering/drops that match drops in GPU Usage. These seem to be less common though.

The SLI texture flickering is gone but now I'm getting some randomly "line" flickering across the screen. Seems to only happen though if certain particle effects are present or certain lighting (time of day, etc..) conditions are met. Clouds seem to flicker as well.

All ingame settings maxed.

i7-5930k
2 980 SLI
347.52 Drivers
1920x1200 Res

What's your AA settings?

Murtrod

Performance has actually worsened. The stuttering has become uncontrollable.

However, it was such a small update to justify an entire improvement in the engine. Also, what about this? He mentions "PC-specific fixes that address performance, connectivity and general stability issues will be available when the PC update releases today". Will there be another update or am I just starting to hear and see things?

I'm in denial.

Edit: 55.2 MB, Eirulan.

b0bbyJ03

Just fired this up for the first time in quite a while.

Nice to see I got Dead Kings DLC for free. And all the chests are now unlocked. I hope that's an admission that locking the content behind apps and outside webpages was a horrible idea. People barely have enough time to play the actual game, never mind get caught up in all that other bs.

As for performance, with a 970 and everything maxed, soft shadows, msaax4, the game runs very smoothly. It just hit me again what a stunningly beautiful game this is on PC with all the bells and whistles.

Are you playing with a locked frame rate? I've got a 980 and can't hold 60 fps even without soft shadows.

tumblr_mvgla8xLsk1ra11u8o3_250.gif

Bull.
No way you're running this game with "everything maxed" & MSAA x4 on a 970 "very smoothly", especially not at 60fps (which would be "very smoothly").
In-game AA and PCSS tanks the performance completely, even on 980.

Are you playing with a locked frame rate? I've got a 980 and can't hold 60 fps even without soft shadows.

I doubt I'm getting 60fps. Wasn't even running Fraps, but it probably hovers around 40-45. That's perfectly fine for me. As long as it's smooth and feels responsive, I'll take the hit for the extra eye candy.

Murtrod

tumblr_mvgla8xLsk1ra11u8o3_250.gif

Bull.
No way you're running this game with "everything maxed" & MSAA x4 on a 970 "very smoothly", especially not at 60fps (which would be "very smoothly").
In-game AA and PCSS tanks the performance completely, even on 980.

Two 680's with in-game AA off, Shadows at low, and tons of settings forced in Inspector, all to the lowest point.

Running it sub 22 FPS average.

Nah. There is no way someone is maxing this at acceptable frames.

The game runs very well at 1440p. The framerate/stuttering is still dreadful on 4K though (obviously).

I think I'm going to give up on 4K for now and come back to it in the future. I'll take the resolution hit for better performance :)

i7 2600K @ 4.7GHz
8GB RAM
Samsung EVO SSD
GTX 780 TI SLI

Eirulan

Thx for the answers :)

@970 Performance.
I'm running it everything maxed at an almost stable 60 fps, TXAA. Even with 2xMSAA+MFAA (which is just as good as 4xMSAA) I'm on 60 most of the time.
MSI Geforce 970 GTX Gaming 4G (or rather 3.5G ^^)

Edit: sorry - I meant FXAA
TXAA: 40-45-ish...

What's your fps, friend? Is it constant? Are you still getting frame drops in certain areas?

I haven't played super close attention to it (I will next time) but it seems to be staying north of 60 most of the time.

I only played for about an hour after the patch, did 2 story missions (somewhere in sequence 10). I didn't notice any location specific drops.

R_Deckard

pinocchio-o.gif

paolo11

I haven't played super close attention to it (I will next time) but it seems to be staying north of 60 most of the time.

I only played for about an hour after the patch, did 2 story missions (somewhere in sequence 10). I didn't notice any location specific drops.

The framedrops occur outside the entrance of the cafe, inside Notre Dame and the busy streets of Sobborne.

The framedrops occur outside the entrance of the cafe, inside Notre Dame and the busy streets of Sobborne.

Just got done playing for a while, noticed some drop near the cafe (only place I visited), into the higher 40's.

Here is a MSI Afterburner Hardware Monitoring Report for anyone interested.

Ignore the CPU temps, MSI seems to report them about 10 degrees lower than every single other monitoring software does, including the BIOS.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get it, I have MSI 970 GTX Sli and with FXAA/MSAAX2 at 1080p, the game is around an average of 40-60 FPS depending on the people on screen. My CPU is fine as it's at 4.1 GHZ I7.

This game really aggravates me on its optimization. Don't tell me I am the only one with a sli configuration who gets slightly pissed about how poor job this port is?

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
I don't get it, I have MSI 970 GTX Sli and with FXAA/MSAAX2 at 1080p, the game is around an average of 40-60 FPS depending on the people on screen. My CPU is fine as it's at 4.1 GHZ I7.

This game really aggravates me on its optimization. Don't tell me I am the only one with a sli configuration who gets slightly pissed about how poor job this port is?
There was a reason why Nvidia used AC to showcase Gsync.

FLAguy954

I do, you have SLI. I seriously don't understand why anyone would burden themselves with two or more GPUs in Crossfire/SLI.

Murtrod

I do, you have SLI. I seriously don't understand why anyone would burden themselves with two or more GPUs in Crossfire/SLI.

Ummm performance gains? Sure, a lot of devs don't focus on SLI optimization, but I can assure you, the extra GPU power is well worth the money spent. And a lot of times, it works. This is just a horrendous port that has been neglected and forgotten. Dying Light right now runs like butter because I have two GPU's and I run @1440p.

DX12 might make me finally Sli in the future but so far Sli/Crossfire is a recipe for headaches.

Yea, some games can certainly be a pain, especially on release day, but most of the games in my ~200 steam library play nice. For the ones that don't, I just play with one 980. Sli is pretty much required for 4k, tho.

SliChillax

Yea, some games can certainly be a pain, especially on release day, but most of the games in my ~200 steam library play nice. For the ones that don't, I just play with one 980. Sli is pretty much required for 4k, tho.
Yeah definitely, I feel like I'm in the sweet spot with a 980 and 1440p at the moment.

So, I imagine another patch is in the works, right? Because my performance suffered even more in patch 5.

Who knows, maybe or maybe not.
If you have 2GB GTX680s you're probably VRAM limited but I can't say for sure since I ditched my 680 SLi setup just before Unity came out...
Are you running the game with textures and everything else on low and still having shitty performance? Have you tried disabling SLi and trying with one card?

Murtrod

Who knows, maybe or maybe not.
If you have 2GB GTX680s you're probably VRAM limited but I can't say for sure since I ditched my 680 SLi setup just before Unity came out...
Are you running the game with textures and everything else on low and still having shitty performance? Have you tried disabling SLi and trying with one card?

I just think it's related to SLI. Serious incompatibility.

I'm done. They aren't gonna fix it. Such a shame. It was actually a decent game overall.

Edit: I should also thank you guys for the help and suggestions/reassurance haha

Ullus

I must be cursed by satan or something, no mater what I try, the game always crashes after about 20 minutes of gameplay, even got a replacement graphics card since the first one showed artifacts, but game still crashes.

Kezen

Banned
I must be cursed by satan or something, no mater what I try, the game always crashes after about 20 minutes of gameplay, even got a replacement graphics card since the first one showed artifacts, but game still crashes.

What does your event logger have to say ?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So, I imagine another patch is in the works, right? Because my performance suffered even more in patch 5.

If there's no 1.06 branch on Steam three weeks from now I don't think there ever will be (1.05's appeared roughly two-and-a-half weeks after 1.04 hit).

Top Bottom