• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Batman Arkham Origins - New Screenshots - Confirms Batcave

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
third one look like something from Dead Space, I just wish they went all the way and make Bruce thinner (they are copying the Batman Mask from the movies after all) this bodybuilder type Batman belong to the comics.

The best part of this series is how much it actually feels like a comic book. I absolutely love how well they caught the feeling. I would say the games fit well into the current Detective Comics world created by Layman.

I'm super super hyped for this game. Between this, GTAV and the cross-gen ports I'm strongly considering canceling my Xbox One pre-order and forgoing next gen for another 12 months.

rmanthorp

SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY SO READY.

I tried to stay in check what with Rocksteady not driving this one but MAN. BATMAN!!!

REV 09

GMG has a 25% off deal for this. Can be purchased for $37.50.

I recently bought BF4 from them and got $12 credit...applied to AO and got it for $25.50 after the discounts. pc gaming : )

Derrick01

Banned
GMG has a 25% off deal for this. Can be purchased for $37.50.

I recently bought BF4 from them and got $12 credit...applied to AO and got it for $25.50 after the discounts. pc gaming : )

Oh damn I'm getting in on that. Great deal now that it's using Steamworks.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
The best part of this series is how much it actually feels like a comic book. I absolutely love how well they caught the feeling. I would say the games fit well into the current Detective Comics world created by Layman.

The feel of being Batman is great (Detective work and villians and all) but the bodybuilder model is just feel wrong, thinner Batman wont removed that feel, just look at Batman Beyond or Nightwing look absolutely badass in comic or cartoon, bodybuilder type is really not needed.

Chariot

Aww shit. I though at the first moment than its the Weeper in the pictures. :(
Still hyped for this game. Already preorderd via GMG.

in another parallel universe maybe, Infamous destroys Prototype in combat, city design and story and Crackdown shat all over prototype in it's platforming and upgrading system, Prototype 1 was unbalanced, repetitive and rushed mess.

Maybe you were just bad at it.
Prototype was great, the movement felt good, the combat was elaborate and fun with a good learning curve to it.
The only shitty thing was picking up guns to shoot, which thankfully you rarely had to do.
prototype is a much better game than infamous (talk about repetitive, how about those sewer missions and the whole no fun allowed repetitive chorefest that was the first half of infamous)

Pagusas

Elden Member
It looks like they may have improved with Character models finally. I could not stand how ugly and space marine like they made Asylum and City look. Batman looked like some steroided up freak (and the texture work was gritty to the point of looking terrible). It looks like they toned everything down and made it look nice for this.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
really? Hulk was average and Prototype was total and utter garbage, this is actually bad news.

I actually...agree...with Toto?! I think I need to lie down...

EDIT: With that said, I'm actually looking forward to Origins. Looked awesome at E3.

DieH@rd

Banned
Who is making this game?

Warner Bros. Games Montréal, studio that ported B:AC to WiiU, and they maybe worked on DLC for AC. Same thing is happening in Bioware, new studio that worked on ME2/3 DLC is not creating Mass Effect 4.

This fees up original studio to work on something more ambitious.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Can't wait be almost the perfect game to end this generation for me personally. Loved the first 2 games.

It looks like they may have improved with Character models finally. I could not stand how ugly and space marine like they made Asylum and City look. Batman looked like some steroided up freak (and the texture work was gritty to the point of looking terrible). It looks like they toned everything down and made it look nice for this.

Isn't Origins actually worse in that regard ?!

1367172541-batman-arkham-origins-art-1.jpg

I think in City the skin of Beyond had the best build
0019771.jpg

Awesome to hear they are bringing the Batcave back and its bigger and better. Nice idea to have that as a hub to launch the challenge areas. Would be cool to customize Batman's suit, read up and research the different enemies and locations from the bat computer.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Isn't Origins actually worse in that regard ?!

I think in City the skin of Beyond had the best build
0019771.jpg

It looks like the bulk of batman is made of actual armor and not muscle. That was always my problem, how they made him look like a tank in spandex (Along with the terrible skin textures). I just tend not to like that art style though, so I dont really fault the game as others do like it. Same reasons I found Gears of War to be ugly.

It looks like the bulk of batman is made of actual armor and not muscle. That was always my problem, how they made him look like a tank in spandex (Along with the terrible skin textures). I just tend not to like that art style though, so I dont really fault the game as others do like it. Same reasons I found Gears of War to be ugly.

A friend of mine shares your opinion, though I don't see any armor around his thighs, they feel like leather, sure his wrists and legs are covered in bulk armor, but that's about it.

what are the bulletpoints of new shit of this over the last one?

I know there are kungfu warrior types now that require multiple counter prompts, what else?

Derrick01

Banned

I know there are kungfu warrior types now that require multiple counter prompts, what else?

In the video I linked (I only watched half of it) they showed a new gadget that's like the batclaw but you're able to fire it to use it as a connection between two points so you can cross. You can also use it on enemies, examples used were hitting 2 enemies and making them snap together and then using it to tie up an enemy and hang him from a ledge.

I guess the best way to describe it is like Just Cause 2's grappling hook.

There's also a much more involved crime scene investigation that's in the video too. I can't tell exactly how complex it'll be but it's far more than AA/AC where you just highlight an area in a really small closed off square section and press X.

SJRB

Gold Member

Check out one of the E3 gameplay videos they did, it shows you quite a lot of new stuff in terms of combat, gadgets and investigation.

Sober

There's also a much more involved crime scene investigation that's in the video too. I can't tell exactly how complex it'll be but it's far more than AA/AC where you just highlight an area in a really small closed off square section and press X.
To take a cue from you Derrick, it's probably not going to be actual detective work, but slightly more elaborate scenes you get to work with, I guess. If you really want to be pessimistic about it, it's just extra padding. At least I thought of it like that from the E3 video.

hmmm, if you are asking just to know, then there are also Armored Enemies, More Gadgets, Bigger Map, better boss battles ((inspired by Dr.Freeze fight in City)), I believe also some sort of Towers to enable Batman to fast travel, not sure but I think Batman needs to activate them or something.

Not that big of a leap.

Derrick01

Banned
To take a cue from you Derrick, it's probably not going to be actual detective work, but slightly more elaborate scenes you get to work with, I guess. If you really want to be pessimistic about it, it's just extra padding. At least I thought of it like that from the E3 video.

The example in the video was fine if they're all like that. What I didn't really like was what appeared to be clues in detective vision to kind of lure the player in the right direction, since the area you had to investigate was really big and around corners of buildings. I don't want any help.

Nilaul

It will most likely be another stormy night, with mercenaries trying to kill Bats before Black Mask's deadline.

But daytime missions would be interesting, stealth would be harder, and perhaps they could force you to do a few missions without the suit, while making sure no civilian spots you.

Nilaul

You do realize that Batman only operating at night is a huge, if not mandatory, aspect of the character, right?

In the day time however he does other stuff, usually some detective works and If I remember stuff to do with his company.

Also having a limit on your night missions could spice things up, after all the sun rises sometime.

ash_ag

You do realize that Batman only operating at night is a huge, if not mandatory, aspect of the character, right?
True that. It's interesting to see Batman operate during day though. Some Batman Incorporated issues had that, and I liked the vibe...

Batman Arkham Incorporated must happen.

Derrick01

Banned
In the day time however he does other stuff, usually some detective works and If I remember stuff to do with his company.

Also having a limit on your night missions could spice things up, after all the sun rises sometime.

I want to play as Bruce Wayne in the day and manage his business empire, using the funds to pay for Batman's shenanigans.

That sounds more like a PC exclusive though :p

SJRB

Gold Member

The entire game takes place during Christmas Eve, while a blizzard is sweeping through Gotham City.

Nilaul

Bruce Wayne in the day.

Batman in the night.

We need nextgen to make this happen?

No but it requires a even bigger budget, they would have to recreate day textures for the buildings. Different world mechanisms for the day, movement of population etc.

The only new combat additions they've shown are martial artists (who seem like an evolution of the assassins in AC, they'll counter your counters and dodge your attacks) and bigger armoured guys (they seem a bit like Abramovicis and Titans morphed into one - no charging, but they have uncounterable attacks and you have to do an Ultra Stun on them to make them vulnerable and a Beatdown to break off their armour). You're also ranked after every fight, with what looks like the Challenge Room scoring system brought over into singleplayer. Other than that, combat looks exactly the same, but I'm sure there'll be new Quickfire Gadgets and special moves.

Investigations look really cool this time around. The batcomputer constructs an augmented reality simulation of the event that you can scrub back and forth through and walk around inside. through. The one shown in the demo is a chopper crash, where you have to rewind the explosion to see where the shrapnel goes, and then track it down in the real world.

I'm more excited for this game than anything else at the moment. The Arkham games are some of my favourites ever, and I absolutely loved IHUD so I can't wait to see how Origins turns out. I finally got my Campaign Gold achievement in AC a couple of weeks ago, so I'm 100% ready.

Bravocado

No but it requires a even bigger budget, they would have to recreate day textures for the buildings. Different world mechanisms for the day, movement of population etc.

As fascinating as Bruce Wayne actually is (the mask Batman wears in daylight), I don't think he lends himself well to gameplay, nor would it be very believable storywise, either.

Matches Mallone, on the other hand...

Top Bottom