• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 leaked, Oct 18, Harlem Hellfighter DLC

What are you most excited to hear about today?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrawnton

Yeah I'm placing my bets on this. It moves them away from the trappings of actual WW1 and Alternate-WW1 sounds a lot better in marketing than the other conflicts at that time. There's also a clearly American guy on the cover which makes it more possible.

You also escape the fantasy/cyberpunk angle of it if it's just a continuation of a war and is still grounded in historical reality.

Plum

I do like how the big franchises are actually trying out some new settings for once. Even though FC:p was just Far Cry Without Guns it was a breath of fresh air, I'm hoping this is too.

Surfinn

This look/feel identifies a consumer with the franchise they have (I'm assuming) come to love. Calling it "lack of creativity" is pretty off-base. What they look for in a key-image is not something incredibly creative or amazing, they want something quickly identifiable to relate to consumers.

all uncharted covers are incredibly similiar.

drake in dramatic pose / dangerous situation. uncharted logo large and featured
Like I said, look at the colors used alone. The covers are vastly different from what the BF series offers and don't suffer because of it.

The logo/main characters is what people recognize.

LiK

why the hell are they making people wait so long for a trailer? no wonder everyone is just leaking stuff and revealing info on Twitter.

DesertFox

What's with people thinking the WW1 setting = boring game. This is a videogame, WW1 can be the theme without them staying 100% true to it.
It's not WWI that's the problem, it's the question of how the hell are they going to make the Battlefield formula fit in that setting.

My favorite thing to do in BF4 is hop in a chopper and provide air support and drop players off at capture points.

That role can't exist in a WWI game. What aircraft will there be? Biplanes?

Sure, WWI is in interesting setting, it's just not interesting for a Battlefield game in my opinion.

Fersis

It is illegal to Tag Fish in Tag Fishing Sanctuaries by law 38.36 of the GAF Wildlife Act
Man i hope it's not just a trailer but straight up gameplay

Scrawnton

I like how it is World War One though because the war was gong on 100 years ago. It's a better time than ever to use WW1 as a setting for a Battlefield game.

It doesn't have to be a piece that glorifies the war. It could be one that entertains, educates, and also pays respect.

At first, I was adamant about this being an alt-WW1 since regular WW1 doesn't get enough representation but if this is, in the larger sense, the antithesis of the current trend of gaming (non-white character fronting what may not be a spin-off, displaying WW1 weaponry, looking swagger as all hell, not using the traditional numbering system), then I'll count it.

There's a ton of cool things they can do with this. The Harlem Hellfighters angle is awesome! I'd love to fight in the Alps. This could be really cool, especially with those Battlefront graphics.

It's not WWI that's the problem, it's the question of how the hell are they going to make the Battlefield formula fit in that setting.

My favorite thing to do in BF4 is hop in a chopper and provide air support and drop players off at capture points.

Sure, WWI is in interesting setting, it's just not interesting for a Battlefield game in my opinion.

That's the most coherent argument against that we've had yet. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. I think them saying that they are "getting back to their roots" is going to play into this,

Plum

why the hell are they making people wait so long for a trailer? no wonder everyone is just leaking stuff and revealing info on Twitter.

You think this is tedious? You must have forgotten the Far Cry: Primal "reveal". More than a day of a slowly zooming in cave painting which then slowly zoomed out. The game was leaked like 10 hours in.

But yeah, they should just reveal it already.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
gonna be the twist!

Fighting the aliens was the whole point of Starship Troopers!

Also it'd be a lot of fun to blend the very right wing pro-militaristic, meritocratic thematics of the book with the total lampooning of xenophobia, propaganda, and the military complex from the film, but Call of Duty: BioShock is probably not happening.

moai

This sucks. No choppers, no cool tech. They could at least go back to wwII. I hope it is an alternate history with advanced tech or im out.

Infinity Ward can have all the spaceships they want but DICE have made a game where the cover man is holding a C96 and therefore receive all my money.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
I would *love* Starship Troopers CoD, but sadly I don't see any aliens or the very important tonal overtones of that book.

If you ask me, the tonal overtones are all there, the series is just remarkably not at all self-aware about it. Black Ops 2 maybe came closest.

Blues1990

That role can't exist in a WWI game. What aircraft will there be? Bi-planes?

Verdun: 1914-1918 says hello, mate.

You'd be surprised how claustrophobic it was when a mustard gas cloud had landed, and not only did you have to avoid gunfire from enemy forces, the gas mask you worn had limited your field of vision.

By taking artistic/historical liberties, I guess, which is my point.

LiK

You think this is tedious? You must have forgotten the Far Cry: Primal "reveal". More than a day of a slowly zooming in cave painting which then slowly zoomed out. The game was leaked like 10 hours in.

But yeah, they should just reveal it already.

i actually didn't pay much attention to Primal, phew.

This sucks. No choppers, no cool tech. They could at least go back to wwII. I hope it is an alternate history with advanced tech or im out.

fight with courage!

What wrong with it aside from guns being in it?
Its weighted gambling. It's been proven that you are more likely to get new weapons when you pay real money than using in game currency.

Don't they have something similar set up in Battlefield 4? Wouldn't surprise me.
Nope. You could but battlepacks yes, but they only contained cosmetic items. Everything else could he unlocked through normal gameplay.

Tecnniqe

Banned

Poster looks like something out of Wolfenstein to me so i expect alternate history stuff to be the thing here

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
If you ask me, the tonal overtones are all there, the series is just remarkably not at all self-aware about it. Black Ops 2 maybe came closest.

Okay yes, that's fair. Ideally I want something that's totally self aware and pulling from both implementations (on opposite sides of the political spectrum) of the plotline, since that'd fit both directions the series has gone, and would actually be an interesting product to discuss.

Se_7_eN

WW 1 is going to be VERY refreshing from the modern / futuristic setting of most shooters today.... So damn excited!

whyman

Battlefield formula and BF4 dont go together. The true Battlefield formula can only be found in Battlefield 1942, Battlefield Vietnam and Battlefield 2. You can find signs of it in Bad Company 2. The rest is trash, its not Battlefield after 2 really. They tried to hard to go after COD. I hope this changes things. I have been playing the series from the launch of 1942, it's time to bring back the real Battlefield formula.

DesertFox

You'd be surprised how claustrophobic it was when a mustard gas cloud had landed, and not only did you have to avoid gunfire from enemy forces, the gas mask you worn had limited your field of vision.

By taking artistic/historical liberties, I guess, which is my point.
True, an alternate reality with some additional tech spliced in could make it very interesting.

This reveal will be interesting. I thought 2143/Futuristic was a lock...

doesn't really sound like much fun to play.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom