• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bethesda registers Fallout 4 trademark

BakedYams

Slayer of Combofiends
The majority will probably say FO3 is better than FONV. I agree with the prior statement, FO3 was certainly full of spunk and depth in terms of exploration. The story shined in a few moments but had so much potential to really take the player in and hook them in for life! Sadly Fawkes doesn't believe they did a good job...

Horse Detective

Why the long case?
The majority will probably say FO3 is better than FONV. I agree with the prior statement, FO3 was certainly full of spunk and depth in terms of exploration. The story shined in a few moments but had so much potential to really take the player in and hook them in for life! Sadly Fawkes doesn't believe they did a good job...
The majority of Gaffers favor FNV.

Derrick01

Banned
I wonder what game engine will they use

this is exciting :D

I'm going to laugh if they once again try to claim it's some big new engine but then it turns out to just be gamebryo with a name change.

Horse Detective said:
The majority of Gaffers favor FNV.

I wish but we don't have THAT many people with good sense. I've seen F3 beat NV on here at least once before on a poll.

Derrick01

Banned
Thanks for the laughs guys. I'm replaying Fallout 3 for the fourth time and it's very clear that Bethesda know what they are doing. I can't wait to explore the wasteland they create for Fallout 4.

I'll be very happy if VATS is expanded upon in F4. Playing F3 on hardcore with survival mods & with purely pseudo turn-based combat is the way to go.

Not true. The minority always speaks the loudest. On that note: GAFers that rolled an Obsidian fanboy class simply have a few less points in their intelligence rating and continually post nonsensical things.

Bethesda fanboys on the otherhand have a higher Agility rating and avoid those threads.

Edit for clarity: I'm a level 30 Bethesda fanboy

You didn't have to edit for clarity, these obsidian fanboys who "have a few less points in intelligence" could easily figure it out. Not that a bethesda fan would even know what that is since it's an element from RPGs.

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but it just hit me how strange it will be that the Playstation version of a Bethesda RPG might have better performance than the Xbox version. Let's just hope Xbone players don't have to put up with what PS3 players did this gen.

JDSN

Banned
Not true. The minority always speaks the loudest. On that note: GAFers that rolled an Obsidian fanboy class simply have a few less points in their intelligence rating and continually post nonsensical things.

Bethesda fanboys on the otherhand have a higher Agility rating and avoid those threads.

Yikes, whats this Pop-Gafish rubbish doing in this thread?

But then again going by your concept of "Intelligence" inspired by Fallout 3 is just means repeating a lot of dumb shit back to people like in this poignant scene:
owfyJYm.jpg

daman824

I'll be a bit peeved if Bethesda doesn't implement some of the new things in New Vegas like factions. But It's probably just going to be another elder scrolls with guns after skyrim sold through the roof. Why do more work than you have to?

spirity

I'll be a bit peeved if Bethesda doesn't implement some of the new things in New Vegas like factions. But It's probably just going to be another elder scrolls with guns after skyrim sold through the roof. Why do more work than you have to?

Fallout 3 (and indeed NV and Skyrim) are so packed with content that "why do more work that you have to" seems like a really cheap shot. There's literally hundreds of hours of entertainment in these games, and they were produced by developers that kept adding stuff far beyond what would normally be acceptable in other games.

bjork

GAFers that rolled an Obsidian fanboy class simply have a few less points in their intelligence rating and continually post nonsensical things.

You need a tag that links to this because this is one of the worst things I've ever read on this forum.

daman824

Fallout 3 (and indeed NV and Skyrim) are so packed with content that "why do more work that you have to" seems like a really cheap shot. There's literally hundreds of hours of entertainment in these games, and they were produced by developers that kept adding stuff far beyond what would normally be acceptable in other games.
Maybe Bethesda can only make one type of game. Elder scrolls games are good. But I want more differences between their fallout games and their elder scrolls games besides vats and guns.

New Vegas went in the right direction. Hopefully Bethesda keeps moving the franchise forward in the same way. Stuff like factions, craftable weapon upgrades, and the branching single player path showed promise and could be expanded on greatly. Another thing New Vegas did right was it focused less on the apocalypse and more on how society lives and rebuilds after the apocalypse. Different factions fighting for political control over a rebuilding society was waaay more interesting than a kid purifying some water with his dad. And the strip is way cooler than any city in F3. Remindes me of the bigger cities in the old fallout games. Megaton is tiny in comparison. New Vegas should be used as the base (gameplay and feature wise). And Fallout 4 should expand and build from there.

But I'm afraid Bethesda will just look at the review scores for Skyrim and Fallout 3, and then the scores for New Vegas, and then make a Skyrim/ Fallout 3 hybrid.

Martian

So if this is real: my guess is we will learn about the starting of the war. I havent read much anywhere about the origins, and all these clues seem to suggest Boston was sort of a hub for communications. Suggesting they knew where hits were reported first and which country fired a nuke first.

Also Bethesda: bring me my Fat Man back please. New Vegas felt empty without it

BigDes

So if this is real: my guess is we will learn about the starting of the war. I havent read much anywhere about the origins, and all these clues seem to suggest Boston was sort of a hub for communications. Suggesting they knew where hits were reported first and which country fired a nuke first.

New Vegas had the Fat Man in it

RavenSan

Off-Site Inflammatory Member
I honestly have a hard time choosing between FO3 and FNV. They were both great for different reasons. I mean, gun to my head, I'd probably side with FNV. But I loved the atmosphere and surroundings of FO3.

Just my two cents. Either way, I'm beyond stoked for FO4, and can't wait for an "official" announcement.

The Fat Man was in New Vegas. There was even a unique version in GRA and gave the Fat Man family different kinds of nukes to use.

smh (talk about butchering table top rpg terminology), this isn't something to be proud of. Nice tag fishing I suppose.

Patryn

I've been going back to Skyrim recently, and last night on a whim I popped in Oblivion to compare and contrast. I really had forgotten just how many systems were ripped out to streamline that game, and that kind of worries me.

I really, really hope that Bethesda doesn't ditch the SPECIAL system, which is something that I kind of fear now that I think about it. Given Skyrim, they obviously feel that at least for the Elder Scrolls giving the player control of their base stats is too much work, but I feel that removing SPECIAL would really cripple Fallout.

In a weird way, I'm also hoping that they keep in weapon durability, simply because that feels very intrinsic. I just hope that they follow New Vegas's example and allow us to repair using gear from the same family and not just a piece of identical equipment.

Hopefully we'll have a hint to these answers by this time next week.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
Fallout 3 had a great character development system. It was simple, easy to understand, had a high degree of variety, had a nice pace of increment, and I found no way to break the system (unlike Oblivion.) It also looked sharp and legible on the Pip Boy so that it kept you in the game. As a lifetime D&D and RPG player I give it high marks.
The way skills and perks are implemented in FO3 means pretty much every build becomes a master at everything. Throw in an over-abundance of skill books and bobble heads and you have a scenario where what you choose to develop doesnt matter because your character will get everything anyway.. and soon.

Obsidian tweaked the character development in New Vegas and I didn't think it was for the better. They gave perks once every two levels instead of every level. I presume it was because they thought characters were getting too powerful but it dulled the thrill of levelling up your character. With Skyrim, Bethesda went back to a perk or new special ability per level and so I assume they tweaked the system for balance yet again.
The perk per level approach was not only detrimental to the character building but most of it was boring. Thats right i said boring. A decent amount of the perks are nothing more than +5 skill with consecutive levels (+5/+10/+15) which is useless when you are drowning in skill points with even average Intelligence. A character with 5 Int in FO3 will have a flat extra 50 points by 20 compared to FO:NV.. at 10 Int that character will have an extra 100. Throw in skill books everywhere and bobbleheads and you have the character advancement mess that is FO3.

As for the sense of thrill of leveling up because of one perk per level, i am of the opinion that removing the bland perks and reorganizing some of them to achievement-based perks much more effective. That i get +% damage to bugs because im experienced in killing them is more satisfying imo.

So in my mind Bethesda has shown that they are improving on the statistical aspect of their RPGs. I don't expect big changes and if I had to wager I would say the character sheets will still be Pip Boy compatible as opposed to a new and flashy character sheet like the Skyrim constellations (which I thought was very beautiful and creative.)

I'm really looking forward to Fallout 4. These kinds of ambitious, open-world/multiple approach games tends to get the biggest boost from new hardware.
Skyrim is just another example of Bethesdas streamlining. They gutted the attribute system of TES in favor of an ultra-simplified Health/Magic/Endurance system. i agree that the skill tree constellations look pretty but the tree skills themselves are as basic and boring as it could get. im glad you and others are excited but i see no evidence that Bethesda is improving on the rpg aspect of their rpgs.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I've been going back to Skyrim recently, and last night on a whim I popped in Oblivion to compare and contrast. I really had forgotten just how many systems were ripped out to streamline that game, and that kind of worries me.

I really, really hope that Bethesda doesn't ditch the SPECIAL system, which is something that I kind of fear now that I think about it. Given Skyrim, they obviously feel that at least for the Elder Scrolls giving the player control of their base stats is too much work, but I feel that removing SPECIAL would really cripple Fallout.

SPECIAL is iconic enough that I can't really imagine Bethesday removing it fully. Now, if they neuter the skill tree to match TES's 'gain points for using' system or something, that can fuck right off.

In a weird way, I'm also hoping that they keep in weapon durability, simply because that feels very intrinsic. I just hope that they follow New Vegas's example and allow us to repair using gear from the same family and not just a piece of identical equipment.

I was just thinking of this the other day, and this worries me as well.

Personally, I'd think that weapon repair/maintenance is so central to both FO:3 and NV, with the absurd difference in weapon damage/dps compared to weapons in skyrim, which focused on the blacksmithing tree to get the most damage boosts, that there wouldn't be any risk of taking it out.

But this is Bethesda we're talking about.

We're stuck waiting, in any case. 5 more days and counting.

I hope they rework the skill system, I hate the approach Bethesda has in their RPG games.

Rework it in what way? Like entirely?

I thought Obsidian's plateaus (25,50,75) for full usage worked better than the wholly incremental increases that Bethesda used for damage, accuracy, and stability multipliers, as I never really seemed to get a noticeable difference from, say, 50-80 or whatnot.

SPECIAL is iconic enough that I can't really imagine Bethesday removing it fully. Now, if they neuter the skill tree to match TES's 'gain points for using' system or something, that can fuck right off.

I was just thinking of this the other day, and this worries me as well.

Personally, I'd think that weapon repair/maintenance is so central to both FO:3 and NV, with the absurd difference in weapon damage/dps compared to weapons in skyrim, which focused on the blacksmithing tree to get the most damage boosts, that there wouldn't be any risk of taking it out.

But this is Bethesda we're talking about.

We're stuck waiting, in any case. 5 more days and counting.

I thought Obsidian's plateaus (25,50,75) for full usage worked better than the wholly incremental increases that Bethesda used for damage, accuracy, and stability multipliers, as I never really seemed to get a noticeable difference from, say, 50-80 or whatnot.

Those plateaus were in Fallout 3 as well.

The options of NV and story of F3 = amazing
Child please, that was, is, and forever shall be awful.

I just want to know if Bethesda will step back from certain parts of the of the game or if I have to wait for a New Vegas iteration. Edit: Not that my rig can handle what FO4 will look like, I'm a few years away from a new Steam machine.

Child please, that was, is, and forever shall be awful.

I just want to know if Bethesda will step back from certain parts of the of the game or if I have to wait for a New Vegas iteration.
Edit: Not that my rig can handle what FO4 will look like, I'm a few years away from a new Steam machine.

I find this kind of opinion really stupid. If it wasn't for Bethesda CREATING Fallout 3, there wouldn't be any New Vegas.

NV fans REALLY need to stop the Bethesda hate, it's getting quite pathetic, it's embarrasing.

I liked both games btw coz I like games.

Derrick01

Banned
I find this kind of opinion really stupid. If it wasn't for Bethesda CREATING Fallout 3, there wouldn't be any New Vegas.

NV fans REALLY need to stop the Bethesda hate, it's getting quite pathetic, it's embarrasing.

You may have some point in there but you lost me when you said you have to like both to like games. I like games too, that's precisely why I don't like Fallout 3. It's a poor RPG no matter how you break it down, not only New Vegas but pretty much everyone else who makes RPGs can do it better.

Step back?
Will Bethesda be in charge of writing, characters, lore, scenarios- the fictional and abstract content of a game that makes it actually different from others in its genre? Will they be in charge of character mechanics, traits, and those interactions- like speech spamming my way to the top in every scenario no matter what?

I find this kind of opinion really stupid. I do not feel emotions when someone on the internet doesn't like my preferred video game company.

I'm glad some of you enjoy paying (by the end) near 80$ for a POS like FO3, but some of us like to be a little more discerning

derFeef

I am no gamedesigner, but make it feel rewarding and less on rails, it's completely streamlined and make the games feel less challanging with every iteration. Let me make decisions that stick, let me specialize, I don't want to be a jack of all trades - that's not a good RPG system if you feel like you can tackle every situation.

Fjordson

Will Bethesda be in charge of writing, characters, lore, scenarios- the fictional and abstract content of a game that makes it actually different from others in its genre? Will they be in charge of character mechanics, traits, and those interactions- like speech spamming my way to the top in every scenario no matter what?
Of course they're going to be in charge of all those things. Why wouldn't they be? Fallout 4 is going to be made by Bethesda. That's just a fact. Not partially developed or outsourced. It's going to be made by Bethesda. Just like the rest of Bethesda's games over the past two decades.

I like New Vegas as much as anyone, but I wish people would accept reality when it comes to this series.

I would never rate Fallout 3 higher than New Vegas simply because of the awful underground metro sprawl fests.

Only thing I didn't like about Fallout 3... well, other than one bobblehead that you only have one shot to get. Missed a trophy because of it :/

I dreaded the metro traveling; not because it was scary or oppressive, but because it was so goddamn boring.

spirity

You may have some point in there but you lost me when you said you have to like both to like games. I like games too, that's precisely why I don't like Fallout 3. It's a poor RPG no matter how you break it down, not only New Vegas but pretty much everyone else who makes RPGs can do it better.

Are you going to buy it? Serious question, are you going to buy Fallout 4, made by Bethesda? You know the sort of game it will be - the game you hate. So you won't buy it, correct?

Here's a really good attempt at putting together the entire survivor2299 deal so far by a redditor. The quotes are the transmissions via morse code, ciphers, etc that we have gotten from survivor2299.com so far. The parentheses are what he believes may be happening.

thezendik said:
My attempt at a storyline.
October 21st, 2077
(Air Raid Sirens go off. The Great War begins and lasts two hours)
“Calling any station. Calling any station. Calling any station. This is OZ (Bridgeport). Please stand by.”
“Bridgeport, this is Concord (MA), message: Quabbin Reservoir is hit, repeat, Quabbin Reservoir is hit, over.”
(Boston is hit by a nuclear warhead. The NCRA was in the process of being updated with a situation report)
"National Catastrophe Relief Auxiliary Unit, Boston 314, 7 Emergency Message: NEW YORK STAGE 7 WASHINGTON STAGE 7 LOS ANGELES STAGE 7 AUSTIN STAGE 7 CHICAGO STAGE 7 NEW ORLEAN STAGE 7 LAS VEGAS UNKNOWN MIAMI STAGE 7 DALLAS STAGE 7 DENVER STAGE 7 SAN DIEGO STAGE 7 SAN FRANCISCO STAGE 7 BOSTO-"
(A vault technician opens 119 to any survivors of the initial attack. IT is possible 7667 is the code needed to enter the Vault)
“Calling all stations, calling all stations, calling all stations, this is Vault Technician 2510730 one six emergency Vault-Tec shelter for survivors in Quabbin, number 119, repeat, emergency Vault-Tec shelter for survivors in Quabbin, number 119, over”
(The radio operator who attempted to reach the NCRA realizes Boston is now gone and that there is no hope)
“Calling all stations, calling all stations, calling all stations. Boston is gone, I repeat, Boston is gone. No Hope. Frequency 3450 Return Transmission. Goodbye America.”
(Six days pass, and the Nuclear Winter occurs)

TIME ELAPSES
July 4th, 2299

(The Survivor heads to the Institute for help)
”MY DEAR SISTER. I’M HEADING TO THE INSTITUTE. GOD KNOWS WHAT HAPPENED TO THIS PLACE NOW. THIS OLD BASTARD WILL HELP US. HE MUST HELP US. –0321–”
(The Institute refuses to help the survivor. He decides to venture to Black Row.)
THE INSTITUTE IS SEALED. THEY WON'T HELP US. I'M HEADING TO BLACK ROW. -NGQHT 5120-
(In the meantime, Vault 119 is being attacked)
"Calling all stations, this is overseer 119 emergency enemy unknown, SOS. Vault 119 Quabbin 7667, repeat, SOS, Vault 119 Quabbin 7667 enemy unknown."
(The attackers manage to breach the vault doors. The vault dwellers retreat to level 4.)
"Calling all stations, this is Vault Overseer 119, anybody near Quabbin? SOS Vault door breach, repeat, SOS Vault door breach, enemy unknown, level 1, 2, and 3 gone, survivors on (service lift to OR in secure location) level 4"
(The attackers manage to kill the overseer (whose code is 15334), who probably attempted to defend his vault dwellers and hold off the attackers. The attackers now attempt to breach Level 4)
"Calling all stations, this is Vault 119, SOS, Level 4 is under attack, Overseer is dead, repeat, SOS, Level 4 is under attack, Overseer is dead. We won’t make it."
(The Survivor has reached Black Row. They send our a Quick Response Force to help at Vault 119.)
"Calling Black Row Out Station. Ground is safe. Too Late. Level 4 breach. No survivors, 899 corpses. We are leaving Vault 119. Over, back to you."

EDIT 1: I like the idea of OTST meaning Out Station. And while I don't know what TL means (since "To Land" and "Total Loss" also make sense), I am sticking to "Too Late".
EDIT 2: I am pretty torn. On one hand, the stasis idea is supported by the fact that the Tranquility Lane music played on the original number. However, I also am starting to think that the Survivor was not around during the Pre-War messages. It is possible that the Survivor is the descendant of someone who was saved by the Vault Technician - perhaps the offspring of the Vault Technician themselves! Maybe that is the irony. Your great grandfather or whatever opened the Vault to save people (900 to be exact) and now, 222 years later, you are tasked with saving the Vault Dwellers under attack. However, you fail, and your sister is killed. You are now attempting to track down those responsible for the attack.
EDIT 3: Not that I think I need to clarify this, but you are the 900th person.

LINK

Top Bottom