• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BF4 demo at AMD event was running one 290X card @ higher than 3K resolution

onQ123

Wait wait wait.. is that game running @ 11520x2160? Please tell me it is.. (24,883,200 pixels lol).

Yep!

33154_1_we_preview_dirt3_spanned_across_three_4k_monitors_via_the_r9_290x_full.jpg

We preview Dirt 3 spanned across three 4K monitors via the R9 290X
While Dirt 3 may be a little old, it sure looks fun when spanned across three 4K resolution monitors via an AMD R9 290X Crossfire setup

AMD GPU14 - Dirt 3 is one of my favorite off-road racing games, and it still packs a punch in the graphics department. While the game itself is a little old to be showing off at a next-gen GPU launch event, demonstrating it running across three 4K resolution monitors from a pair of AMD Radeon R9 290X GPUs in Crossfire mode is pretty sweet.

Shawn Baker said that this demo really showed off how exciting 4K and next-generation graphics really are. He said that the game appeared crisper than ever, and the R9 290X GPUs really kept the frame rates high so things seemed seamless and smooth. We can not wait to get our hands on this technology and bring our readers comprehensive reviews and guides to multiple monitor 4K gaming.

Read more at http://www.tweaktown.com/news/33154...ia-the-r9-290x/index.html#epHTtH0M7Q7xRdb9.99

Why is this a surprise? They were running it at 4k on 7990s at 60fps earlier this year.

Still a surprise for me; that's a single 290x which is between a 780 and Titan doing 4k. I would believe that API gives the 290x the performance needed to do 4k; but then again it does have a high memory bandwidth.

Mindlog

Do we have any guesswork on Astound Sounds/True Audio whatever's performance hit?

That's too many damned pixels. I'd happily trade some for Gen Audio/Aureal whatever's sound offering.

artist

Banned
Really starting to regret my GTX 760 right about now haha.
A little premature, enjoy your card. We'll see what AMD brings to the table in a few weeks.

Do we have any guesswork on Astound Sounds/True Audio whatever's performance hit?

That's too many damned pixels. I'd happily trade some for Gen Audio/Aureal whatever's sound offering.
There is no perf hit I believe, instead the performance is better as the CPU is offloaded from the audio duty. The 290 series and 260X have dedicated DSPs.

sk3tch

It's one thing to "run" the game at 5760x1080...but it's an entirely different thing to actually have it smooth and extremely playable. I've been running 5760x1080/120hz since early last year and I've used a ton of configurations (2x680, 3x680, 4x680, 1x690, 2x690, 1x7970, 2x7970) and now I am running 3x Titans and it finally plays BF3 maxed out at ~90 FPS or more consistently.

Seeing as the 290X is the new AMD hotness and it eeks out over a Titan, I don't see how a single 290X can be "playable" (at least by my definition and I would hope most peoples...~30 FPS or less is no good).

Either way, bravo and all of that...glad AMD is here to kick NVIDIA in the nuts in pricing (if they drop at $600 or less with the 290X) - I just hope their CrossFire drivers improve so yet another round of disappointment doesn't roll in (I swore never again after 2x6970 - yet I broke that...and now after 2x7970 I've sworn again...lol...probably will cave again).

If you only play in 1080p then I don't see the point. I know I know, being an enthusiast we don't buy new stuff because we need them but becuase it's fun to tinker and we allways strive to min max.

1600p. Even my OC'd 780 dips into the 40's and 50 with everything on Ultra.

No Love

Banned
Buying two of these for Crossfire. Keeping GTX 760 as a backup for games where Nvidia has special features/bullshit.

Minion101

Banned
It's one thing to "run" the game at 5760x1080...but it's an entirely different thing to actually have it smooth and extremely playable. I've been running 5760x1080/120hz since early last year and I've used a ton of configurations (2x680, 3x680, 4x680, 1x690, 2x690, 1x7970, 2x7970) and now I am running 3x Titans and it finally plays BF3 maxed out at ~90 FPS or more consistently.

Seeing as the 290X is the new AMD hotness and it eeks out over a Titan, I don't see how a single 290X can be "playable" (at least by my definition and I would hope most peoples...~30 FPS or less is no good).

Either way, bravo and all of that...glad AMD is here to kick NVIDIA in the nuts in pricing (if they drop at $600 or less with the 290X) - I just hope their CrossFire drivers improve so yet another round of disappointment doesn't roll in (I swore never again after 2x6970 - yet I broke that...and now after 2x7970 I've sworn again...lol...probably will cave again).

reaction.gif

nib95

Banned

3 x Titans. Wtf lol. Isn't that like $3000 worth of GPU?

x3sphere

It could have been 60 FPS, we don't know what kind of gains the Mantle API brings yet. I imagine they're pretty significant...

Naminator

Banned
Hard to believe.

Something like this wasn't shown or even mentioned at the reveal event?

Yeah, nothing strange about that right?

Anyways, I hope AMD gets a win this time around, maybe then Nvidia will get off their lazy asses and gives us an even better product.

But just because I hope for AMD to do good, doesn't mean I'm going to swallow every PR move that is thrown our way.

Hard to believe.

Anyways, I hope AMD gets a win this time around, maybe then Nvidia will get off their lazy asses and gives us an even better product.

But just because I hope for AMD to do good, doesn't mean I'm going to swallow every PR move that is thrown our way.

Not very strange when you realize that it was one of the worst reveals/conferences ever.

Eusis

It's a tech demo from david cage.

not like there will be any gameplay anyway just a serious of cutscenes with quick time events in between.
Also given the hardware it was running on it'd probably be either 60 FPS or 4K on this kind of hardware. There may've been potential arguments with the PS3 even if I doubted they REALLY held up (I kind of expect CPU wise the i5/i7 line closed the gap easily) but now that we're basically on specialized PC hardware brute force inarguably wins.

It's not as if being way behind means worthless or anything, but it is the cost of practicality, whereas the cost for an extremely high end PC that'd sport this or Titan is quite literally $2000+. Maybe $1200-1500 if you can get the rest of the PC cheap enough, but still.

Naminator

Banned
Not very strange when you realize that it was one of the worst reveals/conferences ever.

Yeah but come on dude, something like this not even being mentioned?

Did you watch the video with that dude from DICE talking about BF4 and Mantle?

x Billion Triangles
x million Transistors
9 times more draw calls

And lots of other borderline meaningless drivel, but "Ohhh hey BF4 runs smooth on a single card with triple monitor setup" is no where to be found?

You can't chuck that up on incompetence dude.

Meh, see no reason short of crazy futureproofing or becoming so obscenely rich that if these come with HDMI 2.0 I'd get the first good 4K TV with that input and string the cards together for 4K 60FPS Godhood.

Well, given that some of the quite recent graphics cards struggle to get 60fps on the very intensive new games, at 1080p, let alone 4K, you need that futureproofing. Also, only gamers who play at 4K are part of the master race.

Eusis

Well, given that some of the quite recent graphics cards struggle to get 60fps on the very intensive new games, at 1080p, let alone 4K, you need that futureproofing.
If you're willing to compromise on certain effects (notably AA) it's not so hard in a lot of games, and that "futureproofing" can easily be moot if you can get a comparable card for $200 in a few years, then completely annihilating it with another $200 card in another few years when 4K displays likely become the norm rather than the exception, or at least merely uncommon.

Arkam

Really starting to regret my GTX 760 right about now haha.

I would not worry.
760 is a great card that will serve you well.
There will always be 'new' cards.

That and I would wait for benchmarks before I get too excited about these new AMD cards.
Cant wait to see how they perform.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
PC elitism in here is disgusting to me.

You're in a PC thread brah.

Thing I like about PC gaming is how dynamic it is. Most of us complement people with better rigs. We're also supportive of people with making the most out of mid range stuff. It's more about gaming, whether you value customization or graphics.

290X with 6 GB option (if it exists) with an after market cooler is MINE MINE MINE. Now if only 4K monitors were cheaper. Silly mobile devices clogging up the innovation tubes.

demolitio

To those of you who have to have this card, I'll give you 50 bucks and a pack of gum for your current card. :D

Someday when I'm not bleeding money quite literally, I'll have a 4K monitor and a card that can handle it, but for now, my 6970 has to last.

nib95

Banned
It's annoying they haven't announced a price for this yet. If it's $449 to $499 I might bite.

Edit: Actually no I won't. That's far too rich for my blood especially given I only game at 1080p. Probably go for the 270X or 280X instead.

artist

Banned
Hard to believe.

tinfoilhattfumi.png

Hip Hop

Does having an Intel processor matter what kind of GPU you get?

Right now, I have a GTX 670. Upgrading to an AMD would not be a problem?

How would an i5 3570k play with something like a 290x?

kortez320

All this hype coming from AMD.

I have a hard time buying it.

If you were following hardware when and before Bulldozer came out you'll realize that a lot of this sounds very very familiar.

I'm not hating either. I loved ATI products back in the day I'm just saying that I'm not buying the amazingness of these cards til I see the benches and the price. I just have a hard time considering the die size and the fact that it's an arch update that this thing beats the Titan or the 780 for that matter.

And I have a really hard time believing that Mantle is going to come along and everyone is going to drop DX for it but that's a totally different thread.

Eusis

Well, they've been great with GPUs generally, though driver support's been spotty. But after the shit older cards like 560ti cards have been getting with nVidia updates I'm inclined to go with AMD next just because I shouldn't have 2 year old cards practically FROZEN driver-wise.

Top Bottom