• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Big shipment of PS4 at Target today?

Yukiari

Live FREE or die, I'm in Nashua, so NH GAF representin', lol.

They better stay away from our stores once I get my Income tax return, because PS4, here I come... They drive like Massholes anyway....

Sweet, someone else that knows what a Masshole is.... even though I used to be one of them. It's funny I used to work at Bestbuy store 360 in Vermont. I drop by once a week now to check on PS4 stock,

Abdiel

Abdiel, can you comment on the Sunday sales of XBone in your district? 10 for the whole district on a Sunday doesn't sound like very much. Is that typical for this time of year for a new console? Any idea how many other consoles were sold that day, for comparison?

Saturday and Sunday tend to be big sales days... Saturday cause it's the *primary* weekend day, and Sunday because it's when all the sales start for the week. 10 across the whole district... Eh. No, it's not a lot. Whether that's cause there's no special sales this week, or if demand has really slowed, I don't want to speculate in a way that throws fuel on the 'war'.

Thanks NeOak!

I've edited my original post, but the linked pictures in the thread won't be an issue, the 'danger' is taken care of for now, and I won't use that account for further linking. I appreciate the warnings and looking out for me, everyone.

Everyone that quoted your post still has the original URL in the links, so you're probably going to want to PM a mod to get them to remove those pics.

qko

I need an explanation of how the actual sales data that shows more XBones being sold "average per week" is not reliable.

mechward

Neo Member
I need an explanation of how the actual sales data that shows more XBones being sold "average per week" is not reliable.

If it is simply taking the total amount of consoles sold and dividing that by number of weeks since launch it's not representing the amount of consoles being sold right now. They might have sold literally zero consoles after launch day for all we know.

CuznLarry

Banned
For us, xbone demand hit a dead halt mid december, we have many and they just dont sell now. Neither console has any January sales to write home about, but in PS4s case that is because we really havent received any.

All right! Day over, and I managed to get updated pictures.

Here's the (lack of) PS4 Numbers.
20140112_144856.jpg

Nothing district wide. The order numbers aren't even necessarily accurate, because they aren't in transit, and the most recent shipment they all received were well over 100 per store. DC for the area lists 124 units. 124! Gah. I know Sony is shipping them all over, but the demand through our stores is clearing us out immediately on availability.

Xbox One, updated from yesterday.
20140112_144838.jpg

Sold about 10 district wide since the last photo I posted. The DC listing on another page is still around 6000 units.

So! Yeah. Again, the weekly sales numbers are not to be taken as gospel, or even sort of an actual metric of what the stores have sold... The use of that number is for adjustments, or End of Life/At Risk product... as in, if you haven't sold one in 3 months, and you have x product, how much needs to be sent back to the warehouse, etc.

One of the other guys was talking about how their DC system works, and ours is similar, the numbers in that screen are not used by our DC teams. They have their own internal metrics and reports that are far more accurate and reflect much more important divisions than our quick reference inventory system.

Cheers! Hope your weekends went well.

EDIT: I removed the original links, but I also edited the info on the original account to keep any identifying information from showing up. I'll make sure it's not an issue with any further info I post.

wow, that's a pretty striking difference.

If it is simply taking the total amount of consoles sold and dividing that by number of weeks since launch it's not representing the amount of consoles being sold right now. They might have sold literally zero consoles after launch day for all we know.
Right. So if, for example, we look at the 10 XBones they sold Sunday, assume they'll sell an equal amount Saturday and 5 every other day, that's 45 sales for the week. Across the entire district. At that rate it'll take them 133 weeks to deplete what's already in the distribution center, after they spend about 12 weeks depleting what's already in the stores.

#SampleSizeOfOne #TechnicallyCorrect

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Right. So if, for example, we look at the 10 XBones they sold Sunday, assume they'll sell an equal amount Saturday and 5 every other day, that's 45 sales for the week. Across the entire district. At that rate it'll take them 133 weeks to deplete what's already in the distribution center, after they spend about 12 weeks depleting what's already in the stores.

#SampleSizeOfOne #TechnicallyCorrect

Damn at that math.

Rixa

The demand is high elsewhere too. I live in Finland and called today to my local Gamestop where Ive reserved PS4 (and partly paid it by games) in november 12. They said that they dont know the date when they get more consoles (last shipment was to launchday 29.11.13).

They are expecting to get more consoles in january / february, Nordiskfilm is the distributor for Gamestop. So Iam still waiting mine :), can be long wait.

Btw PS4 costs here 449€ (with taxes) which is about 614$.

Bundy

Banned
Went to our store on saturday (I'm currently living in germany).
They had 80 Xbones in their store (two pallets / and yes, I counted them).
No PS4 in sight! Asked the store manager about PS4's. He smiled and said: "No chance" They had four shipments since the release and all they could do is cover the pre-orders.
He told me they will get a new shipment next week. But I have to be there as soon as they open the gates, because "they will be gone in maybe 10 - 30 minutes".

Watkins

The demand is high elsewhere too. I live in Finland and called today to my local Gamestop where Ive reserved PS4 (and partly paid it by games) in november 12. They said that they dont know the date when they get more consoles (last shipment was to launchday 29.11.13).

They are expecting to get more consoles in january / february, Nordiskfilm is the distributor for Gamestop. So Iam still waiting mine :), can be long wait.

That Nordisk Film crap is awful. I simply won't buy one here because of them taking their huge cut and increasing the price 55€ a week before launch.

I will try to import one from germany, where I can get the maximum bundle (camera, extra controller, a game etc) for the same price as we pay for the very basic version (at least in Sweden).

I will just have to wait for it to become available first...

Bundy

Banned
That Nordisk Film crap is awful. I simply won't buy one here because of them taking their huge cut and increasing the price 55€ a week before launch.

I will try to import one from germany, where I can get the maximum bundle (camera, extra controller, a game etc) for the same price as we pay for the very basic version (at least in Sweden).

I will just have to wait for it to become available first...
Sorry, but as I've heard from a few sources I have -> Germany (amazon.de) won't receive any "PS4+Killzone+2controllers+camera" bundles anymore. That bundle was never planned for germany, but amazon germany made a mistake and offered it for pre-order, so Sony had to ship some to them (which was the reason for the delay of the bundle in germany).

It would be really interesting to see how Sony distribute consoles between different countries with this kind of demand everywhere.

So many stories of Xbox One being like the Wii U. So many people (including one of my friends) bought a bunch of Wii U's and couldn't sell them so ended up returning. Same thing happening with X1. I really want to know how they got their sales so high and if they're double dipping on numbers (remember how Nintendo says Wii Sports is highest selling game of all time selling like 90 million copies even though it's free in every wii). I wouldn't put it past Microsoft.

manzo

Depends where you buy it. A few of my friends managed to order and snatch theirs from Net Anttila. Both ordered their machines on 30th of December, received the machines just before Epiphany. Gigantti gets a batch of 80 machines per every second week, so just be there early enough and you'll easily get yours.

ascii42

So many stories of Xbox One being like the Wii U. So many people (including one of my friends) bought a bunch of Wii U's and couldn't sell them so ended up returning. Same thing happening with X1. I really want to know how they got their sales so high and if they're double dipping on numbers (remember how Nintendo says Wii Sports is highest selling game of all time selling like 90 million copies even though it's free in every wii). I wouldn't put it past Microsoft.

Wii Sports isn't free in every Wii, just most of them. Mine came with Mario Kart. I had to buy Wii Sports myself.

Either way, I wouldn't be too concerned about them double dipping on numbers. Returns of launch systems will be reflected on their December and January sales, much like they were with the WiiU.

For us, xbone demand hit a dead halt mid december, we have many and they just dont sell now. Neither console has any January sales to write home about, but in PS4s case that is because we really havent received any.

There's always next Black Friday.

Seriously though the thought of Wii U like dropoffs in January is unnerving. Did you sell more of The One in December than November?

Rixa

Depends where you buy it. A few of my friends managed to order and snatch theirs from Net Anttila. Both ordered their machines on 30th of December, received the machines just before Epiphany. Gigantti gets a batch of 80 machines per every second week, so just be there early enough and you'll easily get yours.

Yeah, had a reason to this.

Returned 40 used (and mostly crappy) PS3 games and got about 217€ away from console price. Still got at home over 40 PS3 games (17 of the are US imports with ESBR rating = Finland uses Pegi so GS wont take them). Othervise Ive ordered PS4 from amazon (de / fr / co.uk). Only drawback to this (and I did know it when I ordered PS4) is the waiting.

Sony: This is waiting. ;)

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
December npd should be fairly boring but January npd is going to be super weird. I wonder if the ps4 will have much stock at all.

January is going to be chaotic with maybe limited PS4 stock and declining XO demand

It will likely stabilize in February where we will get a more clear picture before a boost in March

lherre

Accurate
Went to our store on saturday (I'm currently living in germany).
They had 80 Xbones in their store (two pallets / and yes, I counted them).
No PS4 in sight! Asked the store manager about PS4's. He smiled and said: "No chance" They had four shipments since the release and all they could do is cover the pre-orders.
He told me they will get a new shipment next week. But I have to be there as soon as they open the gates, because "they will be gone in maybe 10 - 30 minutes".

More or less the same in spain

In fact in media markt the price of xbone alone (without games) is 469 instead 499.

I will check in some minutes the new shipment for today of ps4. The last week was sold out.

Mandoric

Banned

It was reliable but very weasely for November - Xbone was out for one week, PS4 was out for two weeks, and Xbone sold more than half the amount PS4 did, so it technically did more per week available.
Let's accept that both systems were sold out for a week or two after launch, and only trickled back onto shelves afterward slowly afterward.
For Sony, launching on November 15th, this meant that in the third week of November they sold a bit over a million, and in the fourth week they sold basically nothing, for an average of 550k or so.
For MS, launching on November 22nd, this meant that in the fourth week of November they sold 900k, and then the month ended - they averaged 900k, and then were out of stock for the beginning of December.

noobie

Banned
It was reliable but very weasely for November - Xbone was out for one week, PS4 was out for two weeks, and Xbone sold more than half the amount PS4 did, so it technically did more per week available.
Let's accept that both systems were sold out for a week or two after launch, and only trickled back onto shelves afterward slowly afterward.
For Sony, launching on November 15th, this meant that in the third week of November they sold a bit over a million, and in the fourth week they sold basically nothing, for an average of 550k or so.
For MS, launching on November 22nd, this meant that in the fourth week of November they sold 900k, and then the month ended - they averaged 900k, and then were out of stock for the beginning of December.

So to get the actual sales now.. we need to multiple XBOX weekly average by 5 and PS4 weekly average by 6?

lherre

Accurate
I have been in Media Markt and it has a few ps4 (it suppose that today we have a "big" shipment in Spain).

image1_zps87bac7af.jpeg

Xbox one in comparison

image_zpsea5feae7.jpeg

gtj1092

I have been in Media Markt and it has a few ps4 (it suppose that today we have a "big" shipment in Spain).

image1_zps87bac7af.jpeg

Xbox one in comparison

image_zpsea5feae7.jpeg

Wow at that stack of xones. Can't wait to see Microsoft's quarterly report. Want to know how many they shipped.

Is that a red ps3?

Tsundere

Banned
December npd should be fairly boring but January npd is going to be super weird. I wonder if the ps4 will have much stock at all.

It's not like production is ramping down or anything. On the contrary, they're probably producing more units as time goes on, and with less "big launches" for the next few weeks, all the production will go to re-supply.

Sorry, but as I've heard from a few sources I have -> Germany (amazon.de) won't receive any "PS4+Killzone+2controllers+camera" bundles anymore. That bundle was never planned for germany, but amazon germany made a mistake and offered it for pre-order, so Sony had to ship some to them (which was the reason for the delay of the bundle in germany).
Haha what! Amazon mistakenly offers a bundle they don't have and Sony are then obligated to send them some? Damn Amazon has some pull.

BFIB

I didn't realize this thread was still moving so quickly.

Hopefully some of you were able to score a PS4 from a Target store over the weekend.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
It's not the same launch pack (day one edition with free fifa and black box), this is a regular pack with fifa 14.like the cod ghosts one.

Xbox one alone - 469 euros

Xbox one with fifa 14 - 509 euros
I see. In Germany it's 30 EUR more for the FIFA bundle so you pay for it, but it's a reduced price.

Mandoric

Banned
So to get the actual sales now.. we need to multiple XBOX weekly average by 5 and PS4 weekly average by 6?

We don't need to multiply anything by anything, the actual sales are the actual sales.

Comparing weekly/daily rates in November is just disingenuous because launch day sales are the key driver of both, making up a couple hundred days worth of preorders condensed into one, and are spread out over 15 relatively dead other days for PS4 but only 8 relatively dead other days for Xbone.
A far more useful measure of comparative demand would be launch-aligned total sales, comparing the same number of days for each system. (MS would probably have won this at the time that statement was made, too - Xbone had a far better supply situation and was able to saturate its core more quickly, so the deliberate choice to be disingenuous is pretty weird.)

Finally made my trip to a local target here in St. Louis (Fenton location) and they had 6 PS4s, 6 Ones, 1 U, and 1 Vita.

First time I ever saw a PS4 in the wild. It was an amazing site that I hope to live and tell my grandchildren about some day.

komplanen

Big Finnish online retailer Verkkokauppa.com got a big-ass shipment today according to their website tracking. So basically how it works is that when ever a number is larger than 25 it'll just say "over 25" and there's no way of telling whether it's 2000 or 26. Anyways they got five shipments today all marked 25+ but their available stock still says -25 which is the maximum it'll go below 0. Kinda impossible to tell what their numbers are but it was definitely a big shipment no matter what.

noobie

Banned
look like places other UK and USA have also started getting sizable stocks of PS4..
so supply in UK & USA getting more than the demand?

Top Bottom