• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeon explained (+Bundle)

Wereroku

Chalice dungeons meant to replace new game+?

No apparently just a side quest sort of thing. Won't have any effect on the main game and just mostly to give people longevity and more coop. I can't remember the name but one JRPG I played a little bit ago had something like this. A 100 floor randomly generated dungeon that you could play multiple times to level or have fun or collect good gear.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The only thing we need to know is how long the singleplayer campaign is. I can't shake a slight worry that the procedurally generated dungeons are there to compensate for a shorter singleplayer experience. I just want my mind put rest on this issue.

From the Taipei Games Show

10959985_923723360993pkuws.jpg

10960079_863169953725v0ufy.jpg

hype!

Gbraga

I really disagree that it adds replayability. Souls games always had tons of it. And, at least in my opinion, the large majority of it came exactly from the brilliant level design and how you deal with it in future playthroughs.

Most of what makes me keep replaying Dark Souls is the fact that my initial 80 hours playthrough is now barely 5 because I know the level design, I can now clear the Catacombs running for a few seconds and rolling twice, I can clear Anor Londo in a couple of minutes without fighting any mobs, this kind of thing is a big part of why I love those games so much, the dungeon changing every time I play goes against that.

Again, it's one optional dungeon, so I don't mind, but I can't agree with this vision (that From Software themselves seem to share) that it's this kind of thing that will keep people playing for years. Dark Souls didn't have it, people are still playing it. It's not about "every time being like the first time", it's the exact opposite, having a completely different experience by knowing exactly how the game works.

Rushing to the Solaire Bonfire in Anor Londo, running up the stairs, turning back, jumping and landing right in front of the O&S fog wall? This kind of shit is amazing.

Wereroku

I really disagree that it adds replayability. Souls games always had tons of them. And, at least in my opinion, the large majority of it came exactly from the brilliant level design and how you deal with it in future playthroughs.

Most of what makes me keep replaying Dark Souls is the fact that my initial 80 hours playthrough is now barely 5 because I know the level design, I can now clear the Catacombs running for a few seconds and rolling twice, I can clear Anor Londo in a couple of minutes without fighting any mobs, this kind of thing is a big part of why I love those games so much, the dungeon changing every time I play goes against that.

Again, it's one optional dungeon, so I don't mind, but I can't agree with this vision (that From Software themselves seem to share) that it's this kind of thing that will keep people playing for years. Dark Souls didn't have it, people are still playing it. It's not about "every time being like the first time", it's the exact opposite, having a completely different experience by knowing exactly how the game works.

Rushing to the Solaire Bonfire in Anor Londo, running up the stairs, turning back, jumping and landing right in front of the O&S fog wall? This kind of shit is amazing.

I prefer new experiences to learning how to break the game. So the chalice dungeon sounds awesome since you can generate a whole new level with no guarantee that you will be able to beat it even if you have been playing for 80hrs.

i hope it's harder than they say. sometimes their hard isnt our hard ;P

I am betting you can make the chalice dungeon super difficult or broken difficult with the right combination of items.

Gbraga

I prefer new experiences to learning how to break the game. So the chalice dungeon sounds awesome since you can generate a whole new level with no guarantee that you will be able to beat it even if you have been playing for 80hrs.

I'll give it a try. The fact that you can share dungeons and also that it stays the same during your playthrough (or doesn't it?) definitely makes it a lot more appealing to me, though.

E92 M3

The only thing we need to know is how long the singleplayer campaign is. I can't shake a slight worry that the procedurally generated dungeons are there to compensate for a shorter singleplayer experience. I just want my mind put rest on this issue.

I'm expecting it be as long as the other games.

Moongazer

I like how they are experimenting with procedural generation with the Chalice Dungeon. Will be very interesting to see how they handle it and whether this will lead to more gameplay with procedurally generated elements in future Souls games.

Wereroku

I'll give it a try. The fact that you can share dungeons and also that it stays the same during your playthrough (or doesn't it?) definitely makes it a lot more appealing to me, though.

Yep it only changes when you want to change it. Otherwise you can keep the same one around as long as you like. Or at least that is what they have said so far.

I like how they are experimenting with procedural generation with the Chalice Dungeon. Will be very interesting to see how they handle it and whether this will lead to more gameplay with procedurally generated elements in future Souls games.

Depending on how well it works I could see them using the concept in a level for one of their future games. Or hell maybe it will lead into a new shadow tower game.

Dark Souls 3 F2P procedurally generated 3 player "MMO" believe

I really disagree that it adds replayability. Souls games always had tons of them. And, at least in my opinion, the large majority of it came exactly from the brilliant level design and how you deal with it in future playthroughs.

What you need to understand is that not everyone wants to just speedrun the game forever. (Edit: Just noticed that sounded kind of rude, I didn't mean it that way) Since it is optional, both kinds of players are given what they want. This isn't going to overtake the structured design you want.

For me, I love to replay DS1, but I'd also love if some things could be different every time I played.

Gbraga

What you need to understand is that not everyone wants to just speedrun the game forever. Since it is optional, both kinds of players are given what they want. This isn't going to overtake the structured design you want.

For me, I love to replay DS1, but I'd also love if some things could be different every time I played.

I do get it, which is why I don't have a problem with this being one optional dungeon, but, as others said, maybe this is them testing waters for making more of the game procedural in the future, which would make me worried. I'm really not a fan of this kind of game.

I wouldn't be whining on every thread or anything like that, it's just that I really love Dark Souls and wouldn't want it to not be for me anymore.

EDIT: Don't worry, no offense taken, haha.

Sounds great and should really add a ton of replay value to the game. Lately when I've been playing Dark Souls with friends we've been seeing how fast we can make it through a level and beat the boss. While I love everything about Dark Souls, this gets realllllly old after awhile and it would be nice to have a new level to play with good rewards. This seems like it solves that for me.

Can't wait for this game! Had it preordered even before I had a PS4.

Umbasa...

Wish there was some type of limited edition controller. But if it's was a similar to design to the limited edition ps4, I will pass..

MrWisker

Loving the idea of the Chalice Dungeons. What better way to really show off the skills you develop within the game by setting out into an unexplored dungeon with other high level players.

Biggest plus for me - no more summons running through the level and killing all enemies.

Servbot24

Banned
As long as the random dungeon is just a bonus area I'm fine with it.

I would weep if the beautiful hand-crafted level design from Souls ever gave way to procedural levels.

Gbraga

No way umbasa is just an easter egg in this game

An old wooden amulet resembling the Old One.

It can utilize both miracles and spells.

The symbol of God was nothing more than the Image of the Old One.

I'm thinking the same. The lack of magic in Bloodborne can easily be explained with Demon's Souls as well.
Depending on which ending is canon...

The idea that it might have something to do with Carim also seduces me.
Chester's attire, Gwynevere being involved, the twisted crows that might indicate Velka's related, the whole using technology to fight curses thing that happens in Carim.

I'm not sure which would be more interesting to me.

mattp

I really disagree that it adds replayability. Souls games always had tons of it. And, at least in my opinion, the large majority of it came exactly from the brilliant level design and how you deal with it in future playthroughs.

but...you can still have all that same level of replayability PLUS this new stuff

i don't see the issue here

I do get it, which is why I don't have a problem with this being one optional dungeon, but, as others said, maybe this is them testing waters for making more of the game procedural in the future, which would make me worried. I'm really not a fan of this kind of game.

I wouldn't be whining on every thread or anything like that, it's just that I really love Dark Souls and wouldn't want it to not be for me anymore.

Hey, I get cha. That's why a lot of changes in DS2 bothered me, the bonfires and Warping completely changed what I loved about DS1.

Although, I really doubt they are going to move into fully procedural design at any point in the near future, I can see why you would be concerned.

Auctopus

Looks like I'm gonna have to brush up on my DeS lore. I enjoyed Demon's Souls but didn't care for its backstory half as much as Dark Souls.

So you enjoy areas you've memorized and can breeze through? That's not what most people look for in a souls game/Arpg.

Sounds awesome. I love Path of Exile's end game map system.

This actually sounds really cool....makes me wonder about Deep Down though...wasn't it supposed to be big on doing randomly generated dungeons like this?

This looks like it might finally pull me away from Destiny and Diablo III. The aesthetic, the challenges, now Chalice Dungeons... I love procedurally generated games to death. I can't wait!

Top Bottom