• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeon explained (+Bundle)

Gbraga

Looks like I'm gonna have to brush up on my DeS lore. I enjoyed Demon's Souls but didn't care for its backstory half as much as Dark Souls.

Personally I don't either, I think Dark Souls' story was a lot more interesting.

So you enjoy areas you've memorized and can breeze through? That's not what most people look for in a souls game/Arpg.

Well, yes. It's not like I'm using hacks (or hexes Kappa) or anything like that, I have to be good at the game and overcome its challenges in order for this to work.

If I'm careless, any random enemy will still kill me. I have to play it right to get shit done the way I want to.

I don't even use transient curses in New Lond Ruins in some of my playthroughs anymore, you can imagine how well that goes when I make a couple of mistakes :p

I still get my ass handed to me by some bosses every now and then.

RK9039

I'm pretty sure one of the NPCs says
Umbasa
in one of the trailers as well.

Hopefully we get
Anti-magic field
in this game, I loved the effect of that buff.

Missed opportunity for some sick art on that PS4

ps4-sonderausfuehrungen-bloodborne-grafik-liegen-derzeitigem-wissensstand-leider-nur-japanischen-bundle--152491.jpeg

I'd rather have the plain black PS4 tbh.

KarmaCow

I really disagree that it adds replayability. Souls games always had tons of it. And, at least in my opinion, the large majority of it came exactly from the brilliant level design and how you deal with it in future playthroughs.

Most of what makes me keep replaying Dark Souls is the fact that my initial 80 hours playthrough is now barely 5 because I know the level design, I can now clear the Catacombs running for a few seconds and rolling twice, I can clear Anor Londo in a couple of minutes without fighting any mobs, this kind of thing is a big part of why I love those games so much, the dungeon changing every time I play goes against that.

Again, it's one optional dungeon, so I don't mind, but I can't agree with this vision (that From Software themselves seem to share) that it's this kind of thing that will keep people playing for years. Dark Souls didn't have it, people are still playing it. It's not about "every time being like the first time", it's the exact opposite, having a completely different experience by knowing exactly how the game works.

Rushing to the Solaire Bonfire in Anor Londo, running up the stairs, turning back, jumping and landing right in front of the O&S fog wall? This kind of shit is amazing.

A problem I have with multiple playthroughs of Souls games it that once you complete it once, you know the extent of the level. Places like Tomb of Giants which was once a vast pit of darkness filled with deadly enemies turns into about a 10 minute jog. Optimization and experimenting with new builds to tackle the same encounter does offer replayability but it's like going back to your old house growing up and seeing how small everything really is when you're older. I'm sure something similar will happen with the Chalice Dungeon once you can abstract out how the pieces will fit together but at least not knowing exactly what will be ahead means the borders of the levels aren't visible as well.

Man

Sony is making all the apologies for Demon's Souls betrayalton by giving Bloodborne everything it deserves. Worldwide release, bundles, promotion.

Gbraga

A problem I have with multiple playthroughs of Souls games it that once you complete it once, you know the extent of the level. Places like Tomb of Giants which was once a vast pit of darkness filled with deadly enemies turns into about a 10 minute jog. Optimization and experimenting with new builds to tackle the same encounter does offer replayability but it's like going back to your old house growing up and seeing how small everything really is when you're older. I'm sure something similar will happen with the Chalice Dungeon once you can abstract out how the pieces will fit together but at least not knowing exactly what will be ahead means the borders of the levels aren't visible as well.

I completely agree, I guess the only difference is that while you find this problematic, I find it amazing :)

It's part of the sense of accomplishment, imo. The fact that the level design even allows for this kind of skip is sooo goooood. Mechanical shortcuts that you unlock are cool, but rolling and jumping to skip entire dungeons is even more brilliant.

Endo Punk

It's truly a fantastic idea. I may have to push some games into 2016 because I can definitely see myself spending a lot of time in the dungeon.

Right, procedural means there is a method to it. After a while you'll get an idea of how it operates. You won't know layouts for certain, but avoiding things and generally being more prepared is something you can learn.

Gbraga

God everything about this game sounds fucking sublime.

I'm only scared of the framerate. Only this year I played Demon's for the first time, after playing the series on PC.

It was rough, let me tell you. Especially 2-3, I was actually afraid my PS3 was about to die.

AngryMoth

Chalice dungeon sounds great. I'm interssted to know whether it will have unique bosses though otherwise I'll likely end up putting it off until I've beaten the game

Gbraga

In regards to Demon Souls stuff in Bloodborne

Nanomachines is always the answer

I should probably assume that as well, can't get my hopes up for prerelease story theories. Remember when we thought "When the giants crossed the sea" in the Dark Souls II alpha/beta was about
the Anor Londo gods who left?
And then the game came out and the lore was kind of a mess >_>

There were some really good side stories, though.

RK9039

In regards to Demon Souls stuff in Bloodborne

Nanomachines is always the answer

I think it's really cool they're doing that, I'm really interested to see what kind of connections there are to Demon's Souls.

I haven't watched many videos or read a lot of news about this game, unlike with Dark Souls 1 and 2, so I have really no idea what they're doing with Bloodborne.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Oh gosh... could I really buy a new system just for one game?

Are there any other PS4 non-LTOU exclusives the help me justify getting Bloodborne?

All over my face and deep inside me!!! 2 more long, agonizing moths left to endure. There is going to be so much dust on my PC and other games by the time Im done with this game.
sde0Atg.gif

Alo0oy

Banned
With Dark Souls being more challenging in a clever way, his statement doesn't really make much sense.

Cheap PR' trick by referring to Demon's Souls now that there are 2 sequels released since then.

ehhh, no? Dark Souls had "checkpoints", usually right before the boss area, which meant that you didn't have to do the entire level if you die, your flask refills at every check point too so you're never out of healing items, you also play with only half your health in soul form in Demon's Souls.

Demon's souls is definitely more "exploitable" though (by farming grass), & had a puzzle boss in each world that is pretty easy in subsequent playthroughs.

Even if you ignore the above, black world tendency Demon's Souls is far far more challenging than Dark Souls.

& I'd go even further & say that even ignoring the whole difficulty thing, Bloodborne is closer to Demon's Souls because the entire game is inspired by a level found in Demon's Souls.

Draft

Are there any other PS4 non-LTOU exclusives the help me justify getting Bloodborne?
No. Also TLOU is available on the PS3.

PS4 is a wasteland aside from Bloodborne. It's going to hurt dropping that $600 to play but what can I do?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946963

See if anything in that thread suites your fancy.

Personally, I'm excited for No Man's Sky, Wild, the Tomorrow Children, Rime, and Abzu.

No. Also TLOU is available on the PS3.

PS4 is a wasteland aside from Bloodborne. It's going to hurt dropping that $600 to play but what can I do?

$600?

ehhh, no? Dark Souls had "checkpoints", usually right before the boss area, which meant that you didn't have to do the entire level if you die, your flask refills at every check point too so you're never out of healing items, you also play with only half your health in soul form in Demon's Souls.

Demon's souls is definitely more "exploitable" though (by farming grass), & had a puzzle boss in each world that is pretty easy in subsequent playthroughs.

Even if you ignore the above, black world tendency Demon's Souls is far far more challenging than Dark Souls.

& I'd go even further & say that even ignoring the whole difficulty thing, Bloodborne is closer to Demon's Souls because the entire game is inspired by a level found in Demon's Souls.

Uhh, I'm pretty sure they are making the comparisons with Demon's Souls because it's the other game they collaborated on with Sony. It wouldn't make sense to bring Dark Souls when Sony had nothing to do with that.

$400 system, $60 Bloodborne, $60 PSN+ to play online, then the man taking his 6%, damn near $600 just to play one game. Bummer!

Do you need PS+ to play this online? Seems like that would hurt the game.
Let's hope they went the Destiny way of allowing "random" MP.

RK9039

PS+ means I'm going to be missing out on my favourite part of these games, hopefully there's some limited online features for us.

ryseing

Second Son/First Light are good, but not system sellers by any means.

DriveClub has shaped up quite well post the horrendous launch.

Pretty cool to see the
Umbasa
thing. Any other connections we know about other than the Maiden's VA? I haven't followed this as much as I should've.

Laconic

Banned
Conventional wisdom says this should be sarcasm, but something about it reads sincere.

The only thing I use mine for is the occasional loot binge, in Diablo 3.

Nothing else on the system compels me.

Not even the other games that I actually own.

PS+ means I'm going to be missing out on my favourite part of these games, hopefully there's some limited online features for us.

Ditto.

It is the same for Diablo 3, for me... but at least I have couch cop-op for that.

$400 system, $60 Bloodborne, $60 PSN+ to play online, then the man taking his 6%, damn near $600 just to play one game. Bummer!

Unless you're live in a state that taxes Amazon purchases, you should get it all there. I just did a test and everything came out to $510 shipped on Amazon for me. There will probably be a bundle in the US as well to save you a couple bucks. Still a big purchase for one game, but I'm willing to bet there will be more than just Bloodborne for you to play.

Do you need PS+ to play this online? Seems like that would hurt the game.
Let's hope they went the Destiny way of allowing "random" MP.

I would assume so. How does Destiny handle MP without PS+? I was under the impression that you needed PS+ for every MP game unless it is F2P.

If MP means that much to you, you could just get a 3 month sub for $18.

Jabba

Banned
Going to really dig deep just like Ninja Gaiden, to see if I still posses any vidya game skill from my youth to actually finish this. :)

Top Bottom