• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeon explained (+Bundle)

hiryu

I might be able to play this game forever. Souls games are already my favorite games ever and they are adding some areas in that are similar to roguelikes. Binding of Isaac is another one of my favorite games so I imagine Bloodborne is going to be amazing.

$400 system, $60 Bloodborne, $60 PSN+ to play online, then the man taking his 6%, damn near $600 just to play one game. Bummer!

Don't forget:

$30/month for electricity
$1000 for a new sweet TV that can handle the nice PS4 graphics
$200000 for a house to play it in.

More people should call Sony out on this bullshit.

cheesekao

$400 system, $60 Bloodborne, $60 PSN+ to play online, then the man taking his 6%, damn near $600 just to play one game. Bummer!
Look around for some bundles. IIRC there are some bundles with free PS+. Even then, I don't really recommend buying a system for only one game.

Hystzen

Kind of expecting a bug or exploit where you create a easy dungeon that gives high quality loot or a super game breaking weapon lol. From always have a exploit or game breaking mechanics before patches roll out

Don't forget:

Angry Customer: Fuck you Sony! I have to buy a house! This is Bullshit!
Sony: What?
Angry Customer: I'm going to SUE!! *hangs up*
Sony: What... what just happened?

Auctopus

With Dark Souls being more challenging in a clever way, his statement doesn't really make much sense.

Cheap PR' trick by referring to Demon's Souls now that there are 2 sequels released since then.

Not to mention DeS is the easiest of the three.

Draft

Don't forget:

I actually own all that already. Except $30 electricity which would be an amazing dream.

RK9039

This Chalice dungeon thing sounds it might have some random elements to it.

If MP means that much to you, you could just get a 3 month sub for $18.

I could, but I probably won't. Maybe when I get bored I might get tempted, I really do like the PvP in the Souls games and this one seems no different.

Gbraga

PS+ means I'm going to be missing out on my favourite part of these games, hopefully there's some limited online features for us.

Having to play for multiplayer sucks, but not being able to play The Last of Us or Bloodborne's PVP (please have PVP) would suck even more.

Zaventem

With Dark Souls being more challenging in a clever way, his statement doesn't really make much sense.

Cheap PR' trick by referring to Demon's Souls now that there are 2 sequels released since then.

This isn't a PR trick. Sony owns both games so why would you even mention Dark Souls a 3d party one?

No. Also TLOU is available on the PS3.

PS4 is a wasteland aside from Bloodborne. It's going to hurt dropping that $600 to play but what can I do?

Yup, I'm in the same boat. Hopefully there's a bundle in the US. And unless I can get PS+ for free, there's no way I'm supporting that "service" just to play online.

SharkJAW

I've managed to stay blind to most Bloodborne stuff other than the leaks in the beginning and, though I what this is, it's only making me more excited.

I really disagree that it adds replayability. Souls games always had tons of it. And, at least in my opinion, the large majority of it came exactly from the brilliant level design and how you deal with it in future playthroughs.

Most of what makes me keep replaying Dark Souls is the fact that my initial 80 hours playthrough is now barely 5 because I know the level design, I can now clear the Catacombs running for a few seconds and rolling twice, I can clear Anor Londo in a couple of minutes without fighting any mobs, this kind of thing is a big part of why I love those games so much, the dungeon changing every time I play goes against that.

Again, it's one optional dungeon, so I don't mind, but I can't agree with this vision (that From Software themselves seem to share) that it's this kind of thing that will keep people playing for years. Dark Souls didn't have it, people are still playing it. It's not about "every time being like the first time", it's the exact opposite, having a completely different experience by knowing exactly how the game works.

Rushing to the Solaire Bonfire in Anor Londo, running up the stairs, turning back, jumping and landing right in front of the O&S fog wall? This kind of shit is amazing.
What about the fact you can save and share the best iterations after beating them? Wouldn't that allow for your "attack the same problem a different way" gameplay? It would even give you the option of going back to solo a co-op run you made with your buddies, or vice versa.

Mihos

Gold Member
Procedurally generated dungeons! Aww yeah!

this scares and excites me.....

tumblr_n4zo8tpcxU1qine8ko1_r1_400.gif

Yup, I'm in the same boat. Hopefully there's a bundle in the US. And unless I can get PS+ for free, there's no way I'm supporting that "service" just to play online.

FYI, that "service" is providing two very good PS4 games (Transistor and Rogue Legacy) and one potentially good, brand-new PS4 game (Apotheon) in the month of February at no extra charge. You aren't just paying to play online.

Gbraga

What about the fact you can save and share the best iterations after beating them? Wouldn't that allow for your "attack the same problem a different way" gameplay? It would even give you the option of going back to solo a co-op run you made with your buddies, or vice versa.

Yes, the share function is a brilliant take on it, I'm sure some other indie game did it before, but it was a genius idea anyway.

I still wish they went deeper in the share integration, and made it possible for you to invade people from the Live from Playstation thing. You just choose some fool who's streaming the game and click Invade. That would be so cool.

FYI, that "service" is providing two very good PS4 games (Transistor and Rogue Legacy) and one potentially good, brand-new PS4 game (Apotheon) in the month of February at no extra charge. You aren't just paying to play online.
Well you're renting them from a very select number of titles, but essentially it's just pay-to-play online if the limited titles are of no interest to you.

Just bitter because it's going to be a very long time before I get a PS4 :(

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=946963

See if anything in that thread suites your fancy.

Personally, I'm excited for No Man's Sky, Wild, the Tomorrow Children, Rime, and Abzu.

$600?

The Order: 1886 in 3 weeks.

Second Son/First Light are good, but not system sellers by any means.

DriveClub has shaped up quite well post the horrendous launch.

I'm curious about all these games, but none of them are really must haves for me.

Still... Bloodborne...

Bold One

People really need to keep their expectations in check, Demons Souls was a nice surprise, but the Hype behind this game especially on this forum could be its downfall.

Nice to hear the Lady in Black again though

I've looked at PS+ over the months. It's mostly old games I've played years ago or have no interest in playing, or year old indie games that any savvy consumer could have gotten for real cheap many times throughout the year and actually own them forever. And then of course there are games that just aren't very good or on an outdated platform (PS3).

If I had PS+, it would just be to play online, and I'm against that.

This makes me weep for the future more than a mobile game or micro-transaction ever has. :/

Procedural dungeons are not a new thing... I wouldn't even put them in the same league as mobile gaming or micro-transactions.

Games that have procedural dungeons:
Diablo I/II
Daggerfall
Rogue
Persona 3/4
Dark Cloud

What exactly is the problem with them? Plus it's just one optional dungeon.

People really need to keep their expectations in check, Demons Souls was a nice surprise, but the Hype behind this game especially on this forum could be its downfall.

Nice to hear the Lady in Black again though

I'll never understand this line of thinking. What does people's hype on a gaming forum have to do with how well a game turns out? Especially with the precedent of Demon's/Dark Souls under their belt.

Procedural dungeons are not a new thing... I wouldn't even put them in the same league as mobile gaming or micro-transactions.

Games that have procedural dungeons:
Diablo I/II
Daggerfall
Rogue
Persona 3/4
Dark Cloud

What exactly is the problem with them? Plus it's just one optional dungeon.

The only one I've played on that list is Persona, and the dungeon crawling is the worst part about those games. I just prefer hand crafted experiences.

thebloo

You guys think they'll include microtransaction options so that people can get quicker access to the procedural dungeons?

No, but I do think they'll release DLC for the Chalice. I have no idea what he said in Japanese, but the translation seemed to imply post launch content.

I've looked at PS+ over the months. It's mostly old games I've played years ago or have no interest in playing, or year old indie games that any savvy consumer could have gotten for real cheap many times throughout the year and actually own them forever. And then of course there are games that just aren't very good or on an outdated platform (PS3).

If I had PS+, it would just be to play online, and I'm against that.

Huh? Transistor came out last year! Rogue Legacy came out in 2013 on PC, but just came to PS4/PS3/Vita last year! Apotheon ain't even been released yet!!! There is zero chance all of these meet your criteria.

And heck, I bought Rogue Legacy on PC during the end of year Steam Sales for $2.24, the lowest I've ever seen it. But I bought multiple PS+ years when they were discounted to $30, so my monthly average for the service is $2.50! How could a "savvy consumer" purchase what PS+ offers for cheaper?

All this derailing is silly. PS+ is well worth the cost. Don't avoid Bloodborne's locked online features because of an unfounded antipathy towards PS+.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not to mention DeS is the easiest of the three.

Is it, though? I played DkS first, and while it was absolutely challenging (in a very good and rewarding way) I never felt like I was stuck. Died many, many times, but got through it without ever feeling like giving up. Then I started playing DeS, and after the first few easy areas shit got TOUGH. Got stuck at that boss with the tongue, and haven't played it in quite some time now. The big dragon/demon thing was also a big nope. No idea what to do there. I guess this is just me not having figured those bosses out, but they feel more impenetrable than most of DkS to me.

(I WILL beat it before BB is released. Think I'm gonna jump back in tonight, actually.)

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
The only one I've played on that list is Persona, and the dungeon crawling is the worst part about those games. I just prefer hand crafted experiences.
So do I, but remember that it's only a small optional part of the game, and honestly, the Chalice dungeon sounds like an actually interesting take on procedural dungeons. I know it's the first time I've ever been excited for a random generated dungeon anyway. :D

Is it, though? I played DkS first, and while it was absolutely challenging (in a very good and rewarding way) I never felt like I was stuck. Died many, many times, but got through it without ever feeling like giving up. Then I started playing DeS, and after the first few easy areas shit got TOUGH. Got stuck at that boss with the tongue, and haven't played it in quite some time now. The big dragon/demon thing was also a big nope. No idea what to do there. I guess this is just me not having figured those bosses out, but they feel more impenetrable than most of DkS to me.
DeS is definitely the easiest, no contest. You can get so strong as to break the game and one-shot several of the bosses, and that's without that much effort.

Gbraga

So do I, but remember that it's only a small optional part of the game, and honestly, the Chalice dungeon sounds like an actually interesting take on procedural dungeons. I know it's the first time I've ever been excited for a random generated dungeon anyway. :D

When you put it that way... While randomly generated level design would make me go NOPE in any other game, Bloodborne actually has me saying "meh, I'll give it a try, I guess", which is already a lot more than it usually would be.

You're 100% right.

Can't wait for Fashion Beast :p

I'll always prefer a crafted, thoughtful experience. But I've come to learn to enjoy the experience of having something new to play through each time in games like Diablo, and Spelunky, so I really appreciate that they're trying to give us the best of both worlds with this approach. I do hope there'll be a lot of variety in the types of layouts the Chalice Dungeon can have.

DeS is definitely the easiest, no contest. You can get so strong as to break the game and one-shot several of the bosses, and that's without that much effort.

Very subjective. After ~500 hours and countless builds in each of the 3 games I still find DeS the hardest. It's easy to break the game in all 3, and I'd argue that Dark Souls is the easiest since it has Power Within which is basically a free +40% damage buff that requires no stat or soul investment.

Top Bottom