• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bloodborne's Chalice Dungeon explained (+Bundle)

Xion_Stellar

People should stop referencing data that makes me feel uncomfortable because games get ported to platforms I don't like
Now I just have to see if the Pendant is in the game with a vague description of it's function (if any) and watch as players scramble around ike a headless chicken trying to find a use for the item or make wild theories/speculations about the item and since this game will never get a PC release nobody will ever be able to check the game data to see if the Pendant actually does something.

HOLY CRAP THIS IS SO AWESOME.

Man I remember seeing people suggest that the next Souls game should have a section with procedural generated areas, and everyone was all like "OH NO that's not what souls is about!" But I always thought it was an awesome idea. Glad they're going for it! That's crazy!

I know this isn't souls but still

I wonder if the procedural worlds are next gen in that they aren't basically random rooms strung together.

I mean, I guess that's what randomly generated rooms would be, but I hope it isn't apparent. I hope there's a sense of unpredictability.

Only other randomly generated game I played was Dark Cloud 2. Loved it so much, but that game had a simple kind of generated world. I still enjoy playing those worlds, but they were a series of basic geometric rooms

I wonder if there is some more complicated algorithm to create worlds that feel like they were designed.

For example, is it all a static world? Will there be puzzle rooms/secret doors/back entrances that are randomly generated, or is that too complicated?

I actually don't mind regardless. The bare minimum will satisfy me because this is an added bonus as opposed to the main course.

But I'm curious if they can innovate randomly generated worlds and lead another generation to follow in their footsteps.

Label

The Amiga Brotherhood
The only thing I am worried about is the performance. Cannot wait to get my hands on this though.

Gbraga

Not a Souls game.

Do we even know if it has NG+?

If it doesn't, that will be seriously disappointing, even though I have a lot more fun making new builds instead of NG+.

It's technically not a Souls game, but I'd be lying if I said I'm not expecting a Souls game.

I beat the Bed of Chaos on my first try and honestly forgot about him until I heard other people constantly complaining about the fight on forums. It was only on my second playthrough when I saw what people could have been frustrated about (but it still didn't take me that many tries)

Orinstein and Smough tho...

Gbraga

Least favorite section of any souls game by far. So anti-fun

It's so fucking awful that it's kinda funny

I beat the Bed of Chaos on my first try and honestly forgot about him until I heard other people constantly complaining about the fight on forums. It was only on my second playthrough when I saw what people could have been frustrated about (but it still didn't take me that many tries)

Orinstein and Smough tho...

It's more about being boring and poorly designed than hard. I will gladly get my ass handed to me by Kenan & Kel because it's an amazing boss fight, I enjoy dying there. Bed of Chaos, though? Even when I beat it on my first try, it's just not fun at all.

tcrunch

Bed of Chaos on roids, imagine that shit

bOTlkMV.gif

tcrunch

A bit OT but I was wondering if this game had weapon degradation and what the death penalty in this is.

Neither thing is known. If you die your messengers will have a little gravestone where you died and they sit around it and cry. People can click it to see how you died like in the previous games.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Neither thing is known. If you die your messengers will have a little gravestone where you died and they sit around it and cry. People can click it to see how you died like in the previous games.

Alright. Weapon degradation is a huge turn off to me. That single feature may decide whether I test my luck on a day one purchase or hold off.

Alright. Weapon degradation is a huge turn off to me. That single feature may decide whether I test my luck on a day one purchase or hold off.

Was it that big of an issue for you? In Dark Souls you could repair at any bonfire, plus repair powder was cheap as hell.

Gbraga

Dark Souls II weapon degradation or any degradation? I can see why the former would upset you (personally I actually like it a lot), but there's nothing wrong with Dark Souls' weapon degradation.

It was a huge issue in DS2.

Did they ever fix the "bug" where your weapons degraded faster the higher your FPS was on the PC version?

I don't think so, I hope they at least fix the hitting dead bodies degradation bug in the remaster, that needs to go away. The regular 60fps degradation, I actually enjoyed a lot. It goes well with the bonfire placement (since they repair weapons automatically) and four ring slots + 6 weapon slots + decent roll for more than 25% equip load. It was perfectly balanced, I think.

Did they ever fix the "bug" where your weapons degraded faster the higher your FPS was on the PC version?

Oh, that game sounded like a mess to me so I never played it. Since Bloodborne is being made by the same team as Demon's/Dark Souls I don't see why it wouldn't be handled the same way.

I still dislike it. But one procedurally generated dungeon with share functions and the ability to lock your current level vs an entire procedural souls game is very different.

Yeah an entire game of it wouldn't be favorable. I didn't read that OP too well again :p

Man this game will probably end up being one of the most streamed games ever. No Mans Sky when it releases will become #1 without question, as everyone will want to watch to see what others are exploring and seeing in their own portions of the universe, but until then .. this game is going to use up a lot of the earths bandwidth lol

convo

I don't think ,so it might for scholar of the first sin, but you can only hope. Also Bloodbourne is gonna be 30 fps anyway so that particular programming would be no problem.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Was it that big of an issue for you? In Dark Souls you could repair at any bonfire, plus repair powder was cheap as hell.

Dark Souls II weapon degradation or any degradation? I can see why the former would upset you (personally I actually like it a lot), but there's nothing wrong with Dark Souls' weapon degradation.

I've only played a bit of Demon's and the degredation is part of what turned me off. I could deal with it, but I like breaking stuff so it annoyed me. I really want to play this game for the art and atmosphere but I'm still on the fence if I'll be able to get into it.

Gbraga

I don't think ,so it might for scholar of the first sin, but you can only hope. Also Bloodbourne is gonna be 30 fps anyway so that particular programming would be no problem.

Hopefully.

I've only played a bit of Demon's and the degredation is part of what turned me off. I could deal with it, but I like breaking stuff so it annoyed me. I really want to play this game for the art and atmosphere but I'm still on the fence if I'll be able to get into it.

YOU MUST BE STRONG, ROBOPLATO-KUN TT_TT

Repair every time you're in the Nexus and it isn't a problem. It costs next to nothing to repair after normal use that I didn't even know anyone could have this problem. The only time it's an issue in Demon's is if some asshole is using the Scraping Spear in PvP *shakes fist*

Sammyzuko

Neo Member
I will calmly wait for reviews of this game to surface and then decide whether or not to purchase the PS4 bundle :p

Really? Seems like a pretty weird thing to gripe about since the degradation is so slow in Demon's and Dark 1. You have to repair, what, maybe every 3-5 hours of playtime? Dark 2 is a different matter though, especially PC. Much higher risk of weapons breaking in that game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Really? Seems like a pretty weird thing to gripe about since the degradation is so slow in Demon's and Dark 1. You have to repair, what, maybe every 3-5 hours of playtime? Dark 2 is a different matter though, especially PC. Much higher risk of weapons breaking in that game.

I'm really OCD about keeping stuff like that up to snuff. It was constantly nagging me every time I broke a barrel that I may not be able to fight later on because of it.

johntown

Banned
I am so glad he said the difficulty level was going to be on par and most likely harder than Demon's Souls.

I know some people may say after playing other souls games that it is not that hard but when the game first came out it was brutal.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I am so glad he said the difficulty level was going to be on par and most likely harder than Demon's Souls.

I know some people may say after playing other souls games that it is not that hard but when the game first came out it was brutal.

He didn't say that. He said the sense of achievement would be on par, if not greater, than Demon's Soul. That's not the same thing.

MMaRsu

Banned

The degredation in demon souls takes forever...Ive never had a weapon break though...

johntown

Banned
He didn't say that. He said the sense of achievement would be on par, if not greater, than Demon's Soul. That's not the same thing.

True but my interpretation of that meant difficulty level. You don't get a sense of achievement from beating something that is easy IMO.

If you don't think that is the same thing that is fine but that is what I took it as.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
The degredation in demon souls takes forever...Ive never had a weapon break though...
It's similar to my compulsive reloading in shooters. Intellectually I know it's not an issue but I can't stand not having my weapons be at their full potential before a fight. Considering the added emphasis on offense in this game, I feel like it could bother me even more.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
True but my interpretation of that meant difficulty level. You don't get a sense of achievement from beating something that is easy IMO.

If you don't think that is the same thing that is fine but that is what I took it as.

No, you get a sense of achievement from things like counter attacking to replenishing your health bar. The risk/reward system will give you a sense of achievement. All you get by just cranking up the difficulty is frustration. He made a point of differentiating between 'challenge' and 'achievement' for a good reason.

No, you get a sense of achievement from things like counter attacking and replenishing your health bar. The risk/reward system will give you a sense of achievement. All you get by just cranking up the difficulty is frustration. He made a point of differentiating between 'challenge' and 'achievement' for a good reason.

I think the regain system is more about the struggle for survival in Miyazaki's eyes. If you are getting wrecked by an enemy and see your health getting low your will to survive grows and you get more desperate. So you begin fighting back and fighting for your life. Struggling to stay alive and keeping your will to live intact.

I believe I read somewhere that was his thought process behind the idea. Where the health bar isn't really looked at like a health bar at all, but more of your current mental state. Something like that. Would have to scour around to find the actual wordage

Top Bottom