• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cabal me excited - Destiny 2 Gameplay today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kill3r7

Yeah the only thing I'm worried about as well. Hopefully Bungie will know what to do and have a way to deal with them. Hardware ban or something idk. Only thing bad about pc gaming is the amount of cheaters lol

This will be Bungie's biggest test on PC. Thankfully PvE is what drives the endgame content but I would have no interest playing trials on PC.

Hahs

Can't say I've ever been this excited for some gameplay footage, but here I am. Probably setting myself up for a huge disappointment but fuck it, PC Destiny is going to be glorious. I know it.

Think they will allow folks at the event to broadcast on twitch or will we be waiting a few days until we see footage? Regardless, can't wait to hear the impressions, what Bungie has changed, and how fireteams will work moving forward.

Anyone on GAF been invited to the event?

Hype train has been boarded and leaving the station.
god I wish I had an invite..was gonna pre order for beta access.. still might if possible

Cyriades

3TP3JuS.png

https://twitter.com/steinekin/status/864924713142722561

hmm, maybe some of the info is false

Stein has a Scorpio image in his avatar... I'm sure he's praying it to be false. Just imagine you were hyping Scorpio for a year.. then Sony swoops in and kill all the thunder in one day.

nOoblet16

Pro and Scorpio are much closer to PS4 / X1 than those last two compared to the PS3 and X360. If Bungie made a truly scalable engine there is little reason why it couldn't be 60 fps now.
You are assuming because Destiny 1 was a cross gen game it wasn't pushing PS4Bone at all and as such a sequel that is built for current gen can hit 60FPS. Two massive flaws in that logic:

1) Don't you think a game that's cross gen, looks worse and has smaller/less dense areas has a better chance of running at 60FPS than what we Destiny 2 ends up being ? If the first game can't hit 60 then what chance does a sequel, built to take advantage of modern rendering features with bigger areas and better visuals, has at hitting 60FPS? I mean wrath of the machine even pushes the consoles so far to cause frame drops below 30 due to the higher enemy count (which is why ROI doesn't exist on PS360)

2) Do you also not think that whatever advantages a new engine brings, while being natively developed for current gen, would be exhausted on bigger areas and better visuals? You cannot get bigger areas, better visuals AND 60FPS at the same time while using the same machine that manages 30FPS in Destiny 1 with little remaining overhead. For that to happen Destiny 1 would had to have a severely unoptimised rendering code on the current gen consoles to a crippling level.

Dynasty8

The wired PS4 HORI controller is amazing. It's my preferred PS4 controller for FPS. The triggers are perfect. I'd highly recommend it, but keep in mind it is missing some features like the light bar and integrated speakers.

Stuff I actually prefer to turn off. Sounds like a good fit for me considering it's around $40-$50 compared to the Razer/Nacon which are over $100+. Would you say the overall feel is similar to the Xbox One controller (not the Elite, but the regular)? I consider the X1 controller to be the greatest controller ever (IMO). Love the analog sticks, the triggers, and everything else about it.

MrBenchmark

Stuff I actually prefer to turn off. Sounds like a good fit for me considering it's around $40-$50 compared to the Razer/Nacon which are over $100+. Would you say the overall feel is similar to the Xbox One controller (not the Elite, but the regular)? I consider the X1 controller to be the greatest controller ever (IMO). Love the analog sticks, the triggers, and everything else about it.
Very similar other than the triggers being digital. It is very very light and has a nice long cord.
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjufrbgHr7UmgaZ9lizwGjsmhRMSnQ

https://1drv.ms/i/s!AjufrbgHr7UmgaZ7d2UIOdAtZfL1Gw

rgnine

People taking the "My friend played D2, here's some leaks" bait again. It's hilarious how gullible this community is.

Hahs

You are assuming because Destiny 1 was a cross gen game it wasn't pushing PS4Bone at all and as such a sequel that is built for current gen can hit 60FPS. Two massive flaws in that logic:

1) Don't you think if the first game wasn't demanding it would have already been hitting 60FPS? Its clearly not the case, I mean wrath of the machine even pushes the console so far to cause frame drops due to the higher enemy count (which is why ROI doesn't exist on PS360)

2) Do you also not think that whatever advantages a new engine brings, while being natively developed for current gen, would be exhausted on bigger areas and better visuals? You cannot get bigger areas, better visuals AND 60FPS at the same time while using the same machine that manages 30FPS in Destiny 1 with little remaining overhead. For that to happen Destiny 1 would had to have a severely unoptimised rendering code on the current gen consoles to a crippling level.
Agreed, but regardless I can't invest in this thinking it'll be bug-free.. just hoping for less patches/nerfs/overall fixes..the honing should become less, and less after all these hours

EDIT.... not eventually indefinite of course

crespo

Neo Member
I would love to see them drop the full cross-play, 60fps bombshell tomorrow.

No!
STOP!
HYPE - settle down!
F*ck!

Tomeru

Yup super manly that years of working and playing coupled with my right hand having nerve damage from having several stroke would make something uncomfortable to me. Just so manly you've figured me out.

It is my opinion that the problem is not the ds4, but you. And I have facts to back that up:

Yup super manly that years of working and playing coupled with my right hand having nerve damage from having several stroke would make something uncomfortable to me. Just so manly you've figured me out.

Look over what you post before you act surprised at the responses.

lol you didn't realize anyone liked the DS4 over the Xbox controller? Amazing.
DS4 is by far my favorite controller.

That's not what I said. I didn't realize people thought the DS4 is superior for shooters. There's a clear difference. I don't mind the DS4 overall it's just a poor substitute for shooters.

When was this decided? I'm not saying you're wrong. I'm just curious as to when it was decided that the controller on the Xbox One is the superior controller for first person shooters?

As for the other guy...suggesting that the game will play best on the PC or Scorpio and any other avenue makes a person delusional. I'm just super tired of this myopic bullshit. Just enjoy the fucking game and leave console wars bullshit out of it. Couching it behind "Rawr! Microsoft is the best and Sony sux and you're delusional if you think otherwise but THAT'S JUST MY OPINION GUYZ!" is horse shit of the highest order.

Somewhere...sometime on the internet it was decided that opinions are all green lit no matter how ridiculous it is. Like religious zealots who want to ignore science and fact and "believe what they want to believe because it's just their opinion".

No...they're fuckin' wrong. Just like MrBenchmark and his console wars bullshit.

If controller size is the contributing factor regarding "superiority" this is the only controller for me...still waiting for a remake...

http://imgur.com/p4hfKND

If you dropped this thing on a small child it was a trip to the hospital. You could also throw it at small children and if you were skilled it would boomerang right back to you.

#goodolddays

Well I'm being hyperbolic of course but in all seriousness the DS4 is an inferior shooter controller. In my opinion at least. I'm sure there are those that disagree but then again there's those who said the Gamecube controller was acceptable and we all know how wrong those people are.

As for what you linked to, ironically it resembles the prototype DS3 Sony debuted with the prototype PS3. Pretty funny.

Siege.exe

That's not what I said. I didn't realize people thought the DS4 is superior for shooters. There's a clear difference. I don't mind the DS4 overall it's just a poor substitute for shooters.

Well I'm being hyperbolic of course but in all seriousness the DS4 is an inferior shooter controller. In my opinion at least. I'm sure there are those that disagree but then again there's those who said the Gamecube controller was acceptable and we all know how wrong those people are.

As for what you linked to, ironically it resembles the prototype DS3 Sony debuted with the prototype PS3. Pretty funny.

Now now, let's not say anything we can't take back

Carn82

1) Don't you think if the first game wasn't demanding it would have already been hitting 60FPS? Its clearly not the case, I mean wrath of the machine even pushes the console so far to cause frame drops due to the higher enemy count (which is why ROI doesn't exist on PS360)

Let me get things straight first: I don't really care if it ends up 30 or 60, and there is no technological reason why Destiny 2 can not run at 60 FPS (I wouldnt be suprised if they push PvP to 60 FPS tho). But for the sake of argument:

1 & 2: Without access to any kind of proper profiling tools it's hard to say, but given the fact that, excluding WROTM, the game ran without very few framedrops and was pretty much identical across PS4 and and the less powerful X1 (with vsync engaged) makes me think that yes, there already was some overhead. Now, Bungie seemed to have pushed the D1 engine to "its limits" with Rise of Iron (and only in certain scenarios) but there are many ways to improve framerate AND graphical fidelity. Things will still be CPU bound, but something like adaptive resolutions and a bigger memory pool can surely help. Also, rendering technology doesnt sit still, and it wouldnt surprise me if Bungie's engine team has optimised certain things to shave off the necessary ms to improve frametimes. I know these games arent 'MMO Shooters' like Destiny, but if you look at an 'open world game' like MGS5, and shooters like Battlefield 1; I see very little reason why Destiny 2 "can not" be 60 FPS. Also, a big part of Destiny's visual appeal is the art style; which is more abstract/stylised than 'photorealistic'. For example, does the game 'need' something like a real time 'time of day' lighting support, or can stuff be baked in? It all comes down to if Bungie wants it to be 60 FPS.

Still I believe Sony and MS want a form of parity between their regular and enthusiast consoles, so whatever the framerate(s) ends up being, it will be the same for PS4 / PS4 Pro and X1 / Scorpio

Lots of "No 60fps, no buy" nonsense for sure gonna happen.

Ima be completely honest, I'm one of those people.

I plan on getting the PC version because of that very reason plus being able to change the FOV. So ima be keeping my ear to the street and observing with a sharp eye.

I liked the game a lot, but the close up field of view and the 30 frames kept me from playing a lot. It may not seem like a big deal, but when all the games you play are on PC running at 60 frames and the ONLY game I own on console runs at 30 frames, its like a big shake up on my head and eyes and I sometimes get headaches when playing destiny.

Im so used to playing at 60 and jumping to 30 feels weird.

couldnt even enjoy the prey demo on PS4 because of this.

MrBenchmark

It is my opinion that the problem is not the ds4, but you. And I have facts to back that up:

Look over what you post before you act surprised at the responses.
Still doesn't change the fact that the competition both MS and Nintendo and third parties offer more comfortable options and still doesn't make my opinion any less valid other people have similar issues. But hey cool come at me some more about what I feel is or isn't comfortable.

Vimes

I still prefer anger over no emotion at all.

We went from:

"HOLY SHIT!!!! I GOT THE FAAAATEEEEBRRRIIINGER"

To:

"I got the gloves"

"Did they come with the thing?"

"Yeah"

"Cool"

"Cool"

Bruh. Same.

I spent all of summer 2015 trying to get the Fatebringer. Literally from May to August, I was running 3 raids a week for it. Finally got it mid-August and was fucking jubilant. I never got that experience with the Gjallarhorn since I got it randomly one day before I even knew what it was (so glad I didn't break it down), but I was online with friends who would randomly get it and it was always amazing hearing their reactions.

I miss that.

You guys get it. I just started gradually playing less and less after year one. Starting with TTK the game just became a bland stream of boring rewards.

Fbh

Well I guess it's nice being able to be excited about seeing more of the game without losing sleep over it being 60fps or 30fps.

Had a lot of fun with destiny 1. If this is bigger and better then I couldn't care less about the framerate (as long as it's not sub 30fps)

I appreciate you all going ahead and giving me a preview of the future so I can get used to it.

Game is announced to be 60fps

Game releases

Digital Foundry releases their analysis where they say it runs at 60fps 99% percent of the time but there is one particular scene which is like 2 minutes long where Scorpio drops to 50fps and Ps4 pro drops to 40fps

Massive meltdowns in the thread with people calling Bungie liars, acting as if the game was running at locked 40/50fps and refusing to buy the game because it's not 60fps

Well I guess it's nice being able to be excited about seeing more of the game without losing sleep over it being 60fps or 30fps.

Had a lot of fun with destiny 1. If this is bigger and better then I couldn't care less about the framerate (as long as it's not sub 30fps)
Every time someone says " I couldn't care less" in the correct way an angel gets his wings.

specdot

This will be Bungie's biggest test on PC. Thankfully PvE is what drives the endgame content but I would have no interest playing trials on PC.
You mean you don't want to test your PvP 1337 skiilz against xXMr.360noscopeStealYurGurlxX in glorious 4K at 120fps?

This is exactly where I'm at. D1 lacked neither fun nor frames. Not that I won't welcome more of both.

Snake201

Neo Member
- 60fps (from multiple first hand sources)
- PS4 and PC Cross-Save (not Cross-Play), and Microsoft is holding back the Cross Save for XBox
- Optimized for PS4 Pro, the next PS4, and Scorpio
- More exclusive PS4 content, again. Ugh.

Edited for the sake of clarification: The folks who told me these things might be wrong, but I'm sure the game runs at 60.

What does (Microsoft is holding back the Cross Save for XBox) even mean? Will Destiny 2 have a Windows 10 XPA version like COD Infinite Warfare?

sn00zer

Literally just finished Destiny base game for thw first time and did it entirely in coop with my dad. Looking to get into the expansions soon. It was one of my favorite gaming experiences ever and now I'm weirdly excited for Destiny.

Drop in drop out MMO was one of those things I never quite appreciated until I discovered how easy it was to game with my Dad.

void666

Banned
Guess i'm in the minority here. But i'd rather have the best possible looking game running at rock solid 30 fps than having a meh looking game with variable fps.

E92 M3

Guess i'm in the minority here. But i'd rather have the best possible looking game running at rock solid 30 fps than having a meh looking game with variable fps.

Yeah, just at Halo 5 as your prime example. The art and graphics are so sterile in that game. But hey - 60 FPS -_-

LiK

Destiny is a far better looking game than Halo in terms of design and art, imo. Let's see how it looks tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom