• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Canada to offer temporary residency to travelers stranded by U.S

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reuters http://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...=Feed:+Reuters/worldNews+(Reuters+World+News)

"Let me assure those who may be stranded in Canada that I will use my authority as minister to provide them with temporary residency if they need it, as we have done so in the past," Hussen said.
Earlier in the day, more than 200 Canadian technology company founders, executives and investors called on Ottawa to immediately give temporary residency to those displaced by Trump's order.

Mr.Mike

We should also prepare to take in DREAMers as refugees. This is a group of people that would integrate very easily so we should be able to take a huge amount without much trouble. And they're young, so we might be able to escape the demographic crisis of having to pay for an aging population. But also not so young that we'd have to worry about taking on a huge number of kids to educate without also seeing a big increase to the tax base.

Shoeless

Stuff like this makes me extremely happy to be a Canadian.

It's funny though, my wife has a slightly different take on it. She figures that since Trump is a narcissist that is obsessed with ratings and getting the adoration of the crowd, the fact that stories like this keep happening and making the rest of the world fall in love with good looking, charismatic Justin Trudeau is more or less building up venom for our PM from Trump who can't stand the idea that people might genuinely like this "wimp Canada guy" over him.

She actually wishes he'd stay out of the spotlight, so that it doesn't put the crosshairs on either him or us.

Stuff like this makes me extremely happy to be a Canadian.

It's funny though, my wife has a slightly different take on it. She figures that since Trump is a narcissist that is obsessed with ratings and getting the adoration of the crowd, the fact that stories like this keep happening and making the rest of the world fall in love with good looking, charismatic Justin Trudeau is more or less building up venom for our PM from Trump who can't stand the idea that people might genuinely like this "wimp Canada guy" over him.

She actually wishes he'd stay out of the spotlight, so that it doesn't put the crosshairs on either him or us.

Lol, is your wife seriously thinking that you should think about Trump's feelings on Trudeau being so nice?

That's so Canadian

Shoeless

Lol, is your wife seriously thinking that you should think about Trump's feelings on Trudeau being so nice?

That's so Canadian

Well, she's being a bit more mercenary about it. I'm trying to calm her down that Trump isn't going to all all Nazi Germany and "annex" Canada, the same way Germany annexed Austria, but she's convinced that it'll happen since we'd be an easier target for oil than Iraq.

So, to her way of thinking, anything that gives Trump an excuse to dislike Canada even more also gives him an excuse to invade and pull a Russia/Crimea thing of "Well, they wanted to be a part of the US anyway."

Mr.Mike

Well, she's being a bit more mercenary about it. I'm trying to calm her down that Trump isn't going to all all Nazi Germany and "annex" Canada, the same way Germany annexed Austria, but she's convinced that it'll happen since we'd be an easier target for oil than Iraq.

So, to her way of thinking, anything that gives Trump an excuse to dislike Canada even more also gives him an excuse to invade and pull a Russia/Crimea thing of "Well, they wanted to be a part of the US anyway."

As long as America doesn't completely become a dictatorship we should be safe by virtue of the fact that it would be very difficult to annex Canada without giving us representation in Congress. We are far too culturally similar (and white) for that to be tolerated. And the only people who would ever consider such a annexation also really don't want to add 20 liberal Senate seats.

The next fear would be a trade war I guess. While Canada is a much smaller economy, the parts of the US that we trade with the most are also the parts that happen to have given Trump his victory. And we are about as rich as the Americans, side stepping rhetoric of jobs being outsourced to countries with cheaper labour.

Oppo

We should also prepare to take in DREAMers as refugees. This is a group of people that would integrate very easily so we should be able to take a huge amount without much trouble. And they're young, so we might be able to escape the demographic crisis of having to pay for an aging population. But also not so young that we'd have to worry about taking on a huge number of kids to educate without also seeing a big increase to the tax base.

i agree, this is a great idea. i'd support such a policy.
or even some sort of expedited work permit, if not refugee status.

kswiston

Canada isn't an easier target than the Middle East for oil. Think things through.

Shoeless

It's not as if the US doesn't already have ready access to our oil anyways...

Yeah, I keep telling her it's not reasonable or sane for him to invade Canada, and she keeps replying with "It wasn't sane or reasonable for him to be elected by the most powerful country in the world either, but that happened, nothing is off the table anymore."

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

US already has access to all the oil we drill in Canada and then they refine it and sell us the same oil. Yes let that sink in if you already didn't know that.

Mr.Mike

America doesn't even really need anyone else's oil. Especially if Trump lets the frackers loose the US can supply way more than it even needs.

If the US invades a country it will be for the sole purpose of having a bloody war, because Bannon is a huge asshole, who wants a war to "unite" the country under a President Trump, and to have an excuse to consolidate power under the executive. Not for spreading democracy, and not even for the sake of stealing the oil.

And for those purposes, an invasion of Canada would be useless. We would just immediately surrender. And then we would make it harder for Bannon to achieve his goals.

kswiston

I hope we can repay Canada someday for taking in American refugees during these troubled times.

This is just us paying you guys back for taking Justin Bieber off our hands.

America doesn't even really need anyone else's oil. Especially if Trump lets the frackers loose the US can supply way more than it even needs.

If the US invades a country it will for the sole purpose of having a bloody war, because Bannon is a huge asshole, who wants a war to "unite" the country under a President Trump, and to have an excuse to consolidate power under the executive. Not for spreading democracy, and not even for the sake of stealing the oil.

And for those purposes, an invasion of Canada would be useless. We would just immediately surrender. And then we would make it harder for Bannon to achieve his goals.

There wouldn't be an immediate surrender. It would also put the United States at war with Western Europe, Australia, and possibly some of the Asian States. And that's assuming that Russia would be on board with the plan, which they probably wouldn't be.

Canada is what America pretends to be. You know the whole "give me your sick, your poor, etc".

Not that Canada is perfect (the treatment of indigenous people is problematic).

Mr.Mike

There wouldn't be an immediate surrender. It would also put the United States at war with Western Europe, Australia, and possibly some of the Asian States. And that's assuming that Russia would be on board with the plan, which they probably wouldn't be.

I don't know what we could possibly do to hold off an American invasion. Fighting would just lead to damage of our infrastructure, deaths, and a loss of sympathy from the American public. Our best strategy would be to work our soft power as much as possible to make sure we get representation in Congress ASAP, and in general the best possible deal we can in this strange new reality.

Linkura

This is a fucking fantastic idea. Like seriously one of the best ideas I've ever heard.

Also thank you, Canada, for being a real first world country and doing what we can't because we're currently run by fascists.

Derwind

Canada is what America pretends to be. You know the whole "give me your sick, your poor, etc".

Not that Canada is perfect (the treatment of indigenous people is problematic).

Agreed, as a Canadian, I will say while Canada is great in many areas it also has a closet full of bones like any other nation. The historic treatment of First Nations people is horrifying once you dig up some of the case by case accounts of the people.

This is just us paying you guys back for taking Justin Bieber off our hands.

If the USA seriously was going to invade us, we wouldn't even last long enough to surrender. Immediately our communication grid would go down. Within the first few hours, All of our cities would be occupied. Our Ocean Borders blockaded. Our Arctic submarined, Our Military Bases reduced to rubble. We wouldn't see it coming. The war could be over before a single shot was fired.

Our only hope would be if our Military Leaders realized what was going on and managed to get to the nearest population centers to blend in and begin the process of guerilla warfare, unfortunately our bases are located hours away from our cities and it would take Fighter Jets and satellites minutes to find and destroy the convoys

Nobody would be coming to our aid because it would mean provoking the largest military force in the known universe, a force which has just decided it wanted to annex their closest neighbor.

Mr.Mike

Our forces would blend in very well, not just in our own cities but in American cities too. We could do a stupid amount of damage using guerrilla tactics. But to what end?

I suppose if the US had indeed gone full dictatorship our forces might be able to serve as the foundation of an armed resistance. But without a large percentage of the US population supporting a violent overthrow of the government, I don't know what we could achieve.

Lebon14

I'm personally happy to welcome them in.
However, if you guys seen the papers' comment section here in Quebec... it's all but hatred. It makes me angry that I have to deal with such a racist province.

kswiston

I don't know what we could possibly do to hold off an American invasion. Fighting would just lead to damage of our infrastructure, deaths, and a loss of sympathy from the American public. Our best strategy would be to work our soft power as much as possible to make sure we get representation in Congress ASAP, and in general the best possible deal we can in this strange new reality.

Who is supporting a Trump led invasion/occupation of Canada?

The government itself can't do a ton, but the US had trouble enough occupying Iraq, and Canada has about the same population spread over more than 10x the land even if you discount the entire northern half of the country (much of which is Arctic tundra or near arctic boreal forest). Canadians have more wealth, more privately owned firearms, and a nearly 9000km (5500 mile) land border with the United States. We have close to 1 million citizens living in the US, and there at least 600k American citizens who were born in Canada. American companies are totally integrated into the Canadian economy, with many of them owning Canadian subsidiaries. Canada ranks #1 for US Exports and #2 (about tied with Mexico) for US imports. It would be a logistical nightmare before you even consider the mutual defense treaties.

Parch

Our forces would blend in very well, not just in our own cities but in American cities too. We could do a stupid amount of damage using guerrilla tactics.
It would be the largest and longest guerrilla war in history.
Who is supporting a Trump led invasion/occupation of Canada?
Nobody. The rest of the world would support Canada.

Mr.Mike

It would be the largest and longest guerrilla war in history.Nobody. The rest of the world would support Canada.

I wonder, is this a scenario that Canadian forces drill for? I suppose at the very least somebody would be playing the opposing forces in military exercises.

If this is something we're legitimately concerned about, maybe we should start refocusing our training and spending towards fighting weird guerrilla wars against our best friends. And drop spending on heavy equipment that we would probably quickly lose in a conflict anyway.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
If the USA seriously was going to invade us, we wouldn't even last long enough to surrender. Immediately our communication grid would go down. Within the first few hours, All of our cities would be occupied. Our Ocean Borders blockaded. Our Arctic submarined, Our Military Bases reduced to rubble. We wouldn't see it coming. The war could be over before a single shot was fired.

Our only hope would be if our Military Leaders realized what was going on and managed to get to the nearest population centers to blend in and begin the process of guerilla warfare, unfortunately our bases are located hours away from our cities and it would take Fighter Jets and satellites minutes to find and destroy the convoys

Nobody would be coming to our aid because it would mean provoking the largest military force in the known universe, a force which has just decided it wanted to annex their closest neighbor.
The citizenship would never stop resisting, and they'd be the annoying type of guerrillas that blend in with your own people.

Mr.Mike

Canada stays winning!
Until the cons with O'leary get elected, lol.
:(

nDhjZ1q.png

O'Leary is still a huge asshole. But at least we should be safe from this aspect of Trumpism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom