• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to announce a big title for PS4 at E3, possibly Resident Evil

plainr_

PS4 desperately needs a good fighter. I would love a Ultra Street Fighter IV port. Live streaming would be great on PS4. Also I heard there is a 3 vs 3 online mode similar to King of Fighters which I hope fees popular.

Rival Schools deserve a comeback.

DedValve

Banned
You know, as early as it seems I actually could see Capcom going the yearly route with Resident Evil. It's not as if giving them 3+ years to develop improves the quality of the titles anyways.

Would this be the first japanese series to do a major yearly release?

Sephzilla

Taking place before or after 2?

Huh? Devil May Cry 4 was not a prequel, they can just continue on from there.

The (proper) Devil May Cry timeline goes as follows

DMC3 -> DMC1 -> DMC4 -> DMC2

I don't remember where I read this, so I can't link it but Capcom kind of retconned DMC2 and said that it exists way in the future of the Devil May Cry franchise, basically so that it won't affect any other Devil May Cry games.

Rolf NB

A Devil May Cry with Resident Evil characters set in the Lost Planet universe plz. Hunk doing crazy grapple air combos on enemy Vita suits.

Sephzilla

Ugh, is it really Resident Evil 7?

Here we go, Capcom will actually try this time and make a RE game that doesn't suck. But people wont buy it because they're sick of RE at this point, Capcom will turn around and say "See guys, nobody wants our old franchises anymore".

I could see Capcom saying something that stupid, honestly

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Could be dino crisis or onimusha with the rumors of them recently

Jawmuncher

You know, as early as it seems I actually could see Capcom going the yearly route with Resident Evil. It's not as if giving them 3+ years to develop improves the quality of the titles anyways.

Would be interesting to see Capcom take that route. Since as you said I don't think that's something any japanese company does. Though RE is the biggest retail title in the west from Japan now isn't it aside from a mainline Final Fantasy I think. I'm probably dead wrong on that but those are the only two that come to mind,.

BadWolf

The (proper) Devil May Cry timeline goes as follows

DMC3 -> DMC1 -> DMC4 -> DMC2

I don't remember where I read this, so I can't link it but Capcom kind of retconned DMC2 and said that it exists way in the future of the Devil May Cry franchise, basically so that it won't affect any other Devil May Cry games.

Interesting, had no idea.

Takao

Banned

Pro Evolution Soccer? Monster Hunter? Dragon Quest? Yakuza? Tales?

SykoTech

Meh. Not interested in Resident Evil.

Give me Mega Man on PS4. Or Street FIghter V or Marvel 4. Well, Marvel 4 probably won't be coming any time soon due to rights, so Capcom All-Stars then.

Or better yet, Power Stone 3.

Ugh, is it really Resident Evil 7?

Here we go, Capcom will actually try this time and make a RE game that doesn't suck. But people wont buy it because they're sick of RE at this point, Capcom will turn around and say "See guys, nobody wants our old franchises anymore".

I could see Capcom saying something that stupid, honestly

They're not sick of RE. They're sick of the deviation the series has taken from the true RE game.

Jawmuncher

They're not sick of RE. They're sick of the deviation the series has taken from the true RE game.

Funny thing is at this point RE has been an action series as long as it's been a "survival horror series" (Both have had 8 years in those genres).

The idea is that RE7 will sell poorly because RE6 was so unbelievably terrible and capcom will blame RE7 instead of RE6 like they should.

69% metacritic is the low for the main series but hardly the end all for the franchise. If AC can recover from AC3 i'm sure capcom will be fine with RE7.

DieH@rd

Banned

Jawmuncher

Isn't RE6 one of Capcom's best selling games to date though?

5.6 million sold. You could argue that the 2 million DMC4 sold shouldnt have causef for a reboot. But the case there was capcom being greedy and thinking westernizing it would increase sales. If anything DmC's sales have probably taken capcom off the idea of a current franchise needing a reboot.

KoopaTheCasual

I believe it sold well under RE5? You can't look at absolute sales, especially from a company with as many games and IPs like Capcom. You gotta look at how it does compared to the franchise, and how it trends.

I would really love an RE reboot. Even if they still decide to go more action based, the current story is (excuse my explicit description) dogshit. I couldn't play through more than half of it, before dropping it and just looking up cut-scenes to be done with it. Whatever they do with the gameplay, just please reboot the story. It desperately needs it.

Projected 7 mil by end if FY, sold 4.9 [most in initial preorder/pre-release hype period].
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-05-08-resident-evil-6-sells-4-9-million-disappoints
Not remotely surprised with it's sales trend. People were hyped for a new RE, then people played it. And negative word of mouth probably gravely crippled its legs.

Sephzilla

5.6 million sold. You could argue that the 2 million DMC4 sold shouldnt have causef for a reboot. But the case there was capcom being greedy and thinking westernizing it would increase sales. If anything DmC's sales have probably taken capcom off the idea of a current franchise needing a reboot.

Maybe. I actually think DmC's sales + reputation from the hardcore fans might have scared Capcom away from reboots. But I actually think it might scare them away from outsourcing projects more so.

Sephzilla

God willing.

I'm not against outsourcing IPs (worked for Metal Gear Rising), but it's just that Capcom picked some bad studios to outsource a couple of projects to. Lost Planet 3 went to devs who were just simply mediocre at best. DmC went to developers who just didn't mesh with what the franchise was known for.

Jawmuncher

Maybe. I actually think DmC's sales + reputation from the hardcore fans might have scared Capcom away from reboots. But I actually think it might scare them away from outsourcing projects more so.

Yeah that might be the case more so.
Since a REboot that would have had Itsuno on board probably wouldn't have been an issue.

Funny thing is at this point RE has been an action series as long as it's been a "survival horror series" (Both have had 8 years in those genres).

Which is precisely why people have practically forgotten what the RE series was about in the first place.

Hell, I am not even sure if Capcom can recall those games anymore.

I'll even bet there are many gamers out there playing the current RE titles who never played the first three games in the series. These gamers are probably under the misconception that this is the way these games have played right from the outset. Which is sad!

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I'm not against outsourcing IPs (worked for Metal Gear Rising), but it's just that Capcom picked some bad studios to outsource a couple of projects to. Lost Planet 3 went to devs who were just simply mediocre at best. DmC went to developers who just didn't mesh with what the franchise was known for.

I'm not entirely against it either, but Capcom has a reputation of outsourcing titles to cheap Western developers with horrible results. Granted, they outright said that they would move a lot of development in-house after this past year.

Jawmuncher

Which is precisely why people have practically forgotten what the RE series was about in the first place.

Hell, I am not even sure if Capcom can recall those games anymore.

I'll even bet there are many gamers out there playing the current RE titles who never played the first three games in the series. These gamers are probably under the misconception that this is the way these games have played right from the outset. Which is sad!

I still say the best course of action is to offer both style of games. Has been mentioned before but if they're scared of the older style a digital game would be a good way to test the waters for the most part. Then again Megaman 8 and 9 sold well on PSN/XBLA and yet they just gave up on it. So who knows what they want to do.

Neff

RE6 sold very well, it's their 3rd best-selling game. RE is their best-selling franchise.

What's more, fans are heavily into the universe and the continuity. It's old, diverse and complex. Commercially speaking, you wouldn't want to reboot it any more than you would want to reboot Star Wars, because the fans are an important part of the market. Remakes and alternate looks at the narrative are certainly possible, as we've already had those, but straight up canvas-wiping reboots are very unlikely.

emag

C'mon, we all know a port of Ultra Street Fighter IV for PS4 is incoming.

The next RE game should go all in on Mercenaries/Raid mode.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
I still say the best course of action is to offer both style of games. Has been mentioned before but if they're scared of the older style a digital game would be a good way to test the waters for the most part. Then again Megaman 8 and 9 sold well on PSN/XBLA and yet they just gave up on it. So who knows what they want to do.

I agree. All they have to do is be transparent with their fans and the media about it. Part of the reason why DmC was met with such hate and disdain is because it was intended to completely replace the mainline series rather than be a spin-off. It was impossible to get a straight answer from them regarding their intentions with DmC.

Resident Evil is Capcom's bnb. They will never not be making a new Resident Evil. They could rotate titles and teams the way EA does it with Call of Duty, and have one team devoted to the older style of play with new characters while the other is devoted to continuing the current story.

RE6 sold very well, it's their 3rd best-selling game. RE is their best-selling franchise.

What's more, fans are heavily into the universe and the continuity. It's old, diverse and complex. Commercially speaking, you wouldn't want to reboot it any more than you would want to reboot Star Wars, because the fans are an important part of the market. Remakes and alternate looks at the narrative are certainly possible, as we've already had those, but straight up canvas-wiping reboots are very unlikely.

That's one way of saying stupid, old, and convoluted.

I think most fans are sick of the current story and the ridiculousness that it has. I know I am.

Extremely front loaded first week sales. It has sold close to 5.6 million, which is about 1 million behind RE 5. The problem? The majority of the sales happened within the first few weeks, after people realized the game was crap, the sale dropped quickly.

The RE name was a big commercial success until RE 6 came and completely shattered and destroyed it.

No sir, you completely misinterpret the game. Good action game, bad survival horror game.

The next time you make a point to completely call out the game, actually state your opinion, because whether or not the game was actually good is subjective.

Although I can agree that most of REGaf will agree with you.

On a side note, I realized that you tend to be against my ideas in a few threads, so where will we reach some common ground here?

Jawmuncher

I agree. All they have to do is be transparent with their fans and the media about it. Part of the reason why DmC was met with such hate and disdain is because it was intended to completely replace the mainline series rather than be a spin-off. It was impossible to get a straight answer from them regarding their intentions with DmC.

Resident Evil is Capcom's bnb. They will never not be making a new Resident Evil. They could rotate titles and teams the way EA does it with Call of Duty, and have one team devoted to the older style of play with new characters while the other is devoted to continuing the current story.

With all of the outcry i'm surprised they haven't even dabbled in this yet.

I think most fans are sick of the current story and the ridiculousness that it has. I know I am.

The story was great at the RE2 point, that's where it started getting ridiculous.

Capcom's best bet is to pretend that the story for RE 3-6 never happened, or take a whooole different route with it in a way that fits canon.

Neff

To be fair, most people are into the characters and their virtual movie star iconography more than anything, the story is just some horror/conspiracy/spy shit that happens to them. But it's obsessively followed, researched and catalogued by many.

And to be honest, I still find it all very entertaining myself. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare.

With all of the outcry i'm surprised they haven't even dabbled in this yet.

It could work, considering all that's happening to Capcom and their losses, but I would tread lightly on the subject. Its not an easy route to take, RE is different from CoD in many ways, and as soon as a company gets its grubby little hands on it, I guarantee that Capcom'll lose out big time.

ishibear

is a goddamn bear

Speak for yourself. There's far too many RE fans invested in the story. It's one of the driving factors to the series after all.

It will be a great day in the RE fandom when people stop assuming that whatever they feel is the standard for everyone else.

I've said before; this fandom is a clusterfuck of insanity. No one fan wants the same for the series as everyone else and many don't know what they want at all.

If you don't like the story that's your decision but I'll be the first to tell you, you're certainly not capable of speaking for everyone else let alone the fictional majority that you hope agree.

Mr. X

Hadouken Cabs announcement.

It's a collaboration between SEGA and Capcom, Crazy Taxi with Street Fighter characters.

Top Bottom