• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom to announce a big title for PS4 at E3, possibly Resident Evil

To be fair, most people are into the characters and their virtual movie star iconography more than anything, the story is just some horror/conspiracy/spy shit that happens to them. But it's obsessively followed, researched and catalogued by many.

And to be honest, I still find it all very entertaining myself. It doesn't have to be Shakespeare.

You can still have all that with the reboot. Take the original storyline and hire someone who can write. I know capcom has basically made RE a co-op game, but I don't see why they can't properly incorporate the mechanics they have into a new game.

Why can't we have a single player campaign that is more inline with actual survival horror, but add a completely separate co-op campaign that follows two BSAA agents taking down isolated outbreaks to satisfy Capcom's need to include heavy gunplay into the series? Is it really that hard to do?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
I'm actually really surprised people can actually request an RE reboot after all the crying and complaints that came along with DmC.

I'm genuinely curious. What makes you so sure a reboot will solve everything? If you don't like the current direction, how can you be sure that direction might not stick around for the reboot too?

Neff

You can still have all that with the reboot. Take the original storyline and hire someone who can write. I know capcom has basically made RE a co-op game, but I don't see why they can't properly incorporate the mechanics they have into a new game.

Why can't we have a single player campaign that is more inline with actual survival horror, but add a completely separate co-op campaign that follows two BSAA agents taking down isolated outbreaks to satisfy Capcom's need to include heavy gunplay into the series? Is it really that hard to do?

To be fair there is a fairly specific formula for RE's universe, and they've been more or less consistent with it throughout. If they were going to employ 'someone who can write' they'd probably have to pay a premium and also have to teach them the rules of this universe (it's true that they did actually do this with Biohazard 2, although from the translation you'd never know it). What's more, people all over the world are still buying these games in droves without pro writers, so there's really little point in hiring one. People play RE for the beautiful graphics, atmosphere, scares (if any), action and well-loved characters. The plot is usually disposable pulp nonsense, and that's fine for most.

If it's really RE7 I'm hoping it's not a reboot. I want more of what RE6 offered. 4 campaigns, each as long as a single RE game from the past and no tank controls. I also loved the dodging/melee.

Dahbomb

Taking place before or after 2?
If there was a legitimate DMC5 then it would be after DMC4 and before DMC2.

DMC2 has always been referred to "that game that takes place way into the future". I feel like they either need to address the issue head on by making DMC5 a game that leads into DMC2 (and then they can remake DMC2 properly as DMC6) or they should just come out and say that DMC2 is not part of the main timeline/series. But they are never going to sweep DMC2 more than they have already so we are pretty much stuck with that game as far as story canon goes.

Honestly speaking it wouldn't shock me to see yet another DMC reboot in the near future only this time internally handled. Capcom doesn't know what to do story wise with the game. Dante has been written into a corner and is basically the Superman of the series (can't be killed, has no power level equivalent), Capcom has pretty much said so before which was one of the reasons for including Nero.

As bad as the DMC situation is, it's at least as bad with RE. That game is probably going to get rebooted in some form as well.

KoopaTheCasual

seriously, if it's either Resident Evil 7 or Devil May Cry 5 and it's a PS4 exclusive - I will need a PS4.
There's no chance in hell that either of those would be a PS4 exclusive. Capcom is broke and needs people to fund their games, but not that broke that they'd fragment the audience on two of their biggest IPs.

Endo Punk

I'm actually really surprised people can actually request an RE reboot after all the crying and complaints that came along with DmC.

I'm genuinely curious. What makes you so sure a reboot will solve everything? If you don't like the current direction, how can you be sure that direction might not stick around for the reboot too?

If its anything like DmC reboot the direction isn't the problem. As long as an outsourced developer is handling it all the shit the franchise doesn't fix will be accepted as a breath of fresh air, you know, just because.

Honestly speaking it wouldn't shock me to see yet another DMC reboot in the near future only this time internally handled. Capcom doesn't know what to do story wise with the game. Dante has been written into a corner and is basically the Superman of the series (can't be killed, has no power level equivalent), Capcom has pretty much said so before which was one of the reasons for including Nero.

That's an easy problem to fix. Just make the story involving a gang of super demons who want to rule the earth and they bring a super army. or something. Basically increase the difficulty of the foes so that even Dante will break a sweat, or just bring back Nero.

People that think RE will go exclusive to Sony are kidding themselves. They are hurting for cash, cant afford not going multiplat unless Sony fronted a SIGNIFICANT budget....

I hope they redeem the waning franchise though, hopefully they learned from RE6 like Squeenix is slowly coming back to realize (i.e. Bravely Default/ FFX HD sales)

chemicals

DMC2 has always been referred to "that game that takes place way into the future". I feel like they either need to address the issue head on by making DMC5 a game that leads into DMC2 (and then they can remake DMC2 properly as DMC6) or they should just come out and say that DMC2 is not part of the main timeline/series. But they are never going to sweep DMC2 more than they have already so we are pretty much stuck with that game as far as story canon goes.

As bad as the DMC situation is, it's at least as bad with RE. That game is probably going to get rebooted in some form as well.

i think this is sad. I agree that its probably the most likely scenario.. But booooooohhhhhh. I love dmc4 and re6. I dont feel comfortable with the whole japan-esque trend of "everything has to be rebooted 6 times." i like continuity. Even my beloved TENCHI tv show got rebooted like 12 times. I hate that crap.

BadWolf

I'd be cool with Nero continuing as the lead or better yet both characters be playable like in 4. Dante was really powerful there but it still worked out great, it was fun watching him treating the whole thing as a joke, fit his character and power level.

Just don't half ass their play routes again.

There's no chance in hell that either of those would be a PS4 exclusive. Capcom is broke and needs people to fund their games, but not that broke that they'd fragment the audience on two of their biggest IPs.

They might if they got a lucrative enough of an offer.

Plus, with Sony ahead in the West and basically the only game in town in the East, they wouldn't be losing a huge amount.

Also, I suspect that many of the early adopters this generation own both systems anyway. Most of the people that I know that own a XB1, own a PS4 also.

chemicals

They might if they got a lucrative enough of an offer.

Plus, with Sony ahead in the West and basically the only game in town in the East, they wouldn't be losing a huge amount.

i really would jump ship for dmc5 or re7. I think a lot of people feel as i do. You all will probably mock me, but i was done with resident evil (fan since first game) because of re4 and re5. They just didnt feel like re to me... But damn re6 is a sweet game. Played through 2 of the campaigns (leon and chris) and i must say i'm really impressed with the way each of those campaigns were nice and long... And the combat is so good that the length didnt bother me. I honestly feel like the capcom guys played a ton of western games and through their brilliance was able to take things from the west and crank everything up a notch. I dont know about you guys but re6 is a lot more compelling to me than gears of war anything - gears of war cant compete against the narrative (however strange as it may be) of re which has been part of me since whenever re1 first came out on psx.

Chamber

love on your sleeve

Superman is still published every month friend. I don't see why we have to pretend DMC requires anything more than a standard villain of the week style plot. Let Dante be Superman and just crush fools in a stylish manner.

SargerusBR

I love Pokken!

Bring back Daddy Vergil along with Uncle Dante and Nero, all 3 playable with unique gameplay and unique storyline.
18385266_p4.jpg

Oersted

And then there's the matter of E3. Set for June, the publisher plans to show off a major game of some sort for the PS4. Fans are getting increasingly hyped up for the event, as they take it to mean that a new Resident Evil game is on the horizon. Resident Evil 6, the last game in the series, sold over 5.6 million units and it's expected that a potential 7 would sell equally as well if such a thing were to come out.

That doesn't sound like a conformation, it sounds like a summary of rumors. Eh?

Dmc5 or RE....as much as fans are split on some of capcoms stuff, they are still some of the most phenomenal franchises I've ever played and speak to the gamer who seeks a challenge through his own dexterity and wits...Sony if no other Japanese big company, should work with capcom this generation...the monster hunter deal needs to go away and capcom get back in bed with Sony, great things happened when they did.

Monster hunter, dmc5, re7, dragons dogma, street fighter on ps4???!!!!! Tell me it doesn't fill your soul with goosebumps .. My goodness

Dahbomb

Superman is still published every month friend. I don't see why we have to pretend DMC requires anything more than a standard villain of the week style plot. Let Dante be Superman and just crush fools in a stylish manner.
That's just not interesting. DMC1 and DMC3 differentiate themselves from DMC4 (and I guess DMC2) by having Dante face a threat that is equal to or stronger than him. In each game he levels up both in game and in the story. The start of DMC3 Dante would never have beaten Vergil for example, same for DMC1 Dante and Mundus. That character progression is what makes these character action games go from great to excellent. It's different for Superman which is a comic as DMC is a game.

Plus if we still think of DMC2 as canon then Dante still has more untapped potential in his DDT (Desperation Devil Trigger). My guess is that another event had to have happened for him to get that ability. No way is he going to unlock that potential fighting chump demons.

Elios83

Can't be excited before Capcom shows the goods.
They need to regain my trust after all the disappointments and the bombas of the recent years...not to mention their latest master troll with Deep Down being a free to play random dungeon generator :/
Resident Evil must return to the atmosphere of RE2 with a bit of the old RE4 prototype as well, coupled with modern gameplay and storytelling like seen in The Last of Us.
If they have to copy a game, at least copy the right one.
But probably at this point they'd be more competent at making an other Dragon's Dogma rather than a new Biohazard.

That's just not interesting. DMC1 and DMC3 differentiate themselves from DMC4 (and I guess DMC2) by having Dante face a threat that is equal to or stronger than him. In each game he levels up both in game and in the story. The start of DMC3 Dante would never have beaten Vergil for example, same for DMC1 Dante and Mundus. That character progression is what makes these character action games go from great to excellent. It's different for Superman which is a comic as DMC is a game.

Plus if we still think of DMC2 as canon then Dante still has more untapped potential in his DDT (Desperation Devil Trigger). My guess is that another event had to have happened for him to get that ability. No way is he going to unlock that potential fighting chump demons.

The only reason Dante was emotionally invested in his journey those two games is because of family history, but you can't use that as a motivation all the time. Itsuno and his team just have to create badass antagonists and everything will be all good. That and make enemies that will give us a run for our money.

dugdug

Banned
Wasn't there a rumor ages ago about Dragon's Dogma 2 being a PS4 exclusive?

Did that just turn into hat Vita DD dungeon crawler that never came out?

Rambone

I just want Dragons Dogma 2, on PS4. I'm sick of Resident Evil games, Deep Down might have some potential but need to see more. I really wouldn't mind a Dino Crisis remake.

If it is another resident evil I hope Leon is the sole protagonist. I could also go for a new character but that would just add more to the already convoluted resident evil lore.

Chamber

love on your sleeve
The only reason Dante was emotionally invested in his journey those two games is because of family history, but you can't use that as a motivation all the time. Itsuno and his team just have to create badass antagonists and everything will be all good. That and make enemies that will give us a run for our money.

This. The guy is a demon hunter by trade so villain of the week style story telling fits the universe just fine.

Beyond that, I'll never buy that Itsuno's Dante is the same character as Kamiya's so I'm not too concerned with his supposed character progression.

Yeah I didn't realize how many others loved Dragon's Dogma until I read this thread. It's so nice to know it wasn't just me who considers it Capcom's best game in ages. If not a Dragon's Dogma 2 I'd love that Dragon's Dogma extended edition version for my PS4 or for streaming once that service is out. I never played that version.

But again, Dragon's Dogma 2 plz.

I love how the enemy design looks like it is straight out of the Advanced Dungeons and Dragons 2nd edition Monster Manual.

Top Bottom