• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cloud announced for Smash Bros

ffdgh

[QUOTE="D";185697494]Don't get me wrong I think it's dope as hell to have Cloud and I'm looking forward to playing with him, I just feel like Sakurai should have maybe put in more deserving Nintendo reps before putting him in, that way having him there doesn't feel like he took some more deserving characters spot[/QUOTE]

Aside from inklings, dixie(Apologies King K), wolf(who is likely coming back), Ridley(too big :p ) and Ice climbers( ;_;) I can't really think of anyone else who "deserves" to be in. Cloud didn't take anyone's spot since sakurai can add almost whoever he wants.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Aside from inklings, dixie(Apologies King K), wolf(who is likely coming back), Ridley(too big :p ) and Ice climbers( ;_;) I can't really think of anyone else who "deserves" to be in. Cloud didn't take anyone's spot since sakurai can add almost whoever he wants.

That's true. It just depends on how many more characters Sakurai chooses to add before he's done completely.

Zomba13

yuYghye.gif

Dark Samus is the obvious new Metroid rep. She isn't Ridley, she looks like Samus and Sakurai can just make her/it a clone! Could even give it an SA-X costume where it's literally just Samus!

Ivan 3414

I thought that gamexplain's cloud trailer analisis was pretty bad. I say that because, not only did they talk way to much, they also assigned multiple moves to the wrong input (that's an assumption, sure, but it seemed pretty obvious to me :p).

GimR's analisis on the other hand... it's short (6 minutes if you skip the first 50 seconds, which aren't about the analisis), concise and extremely informative!! Ignoring the long intro, that analisis respects your time way more than other analisis that people have posted (while containing way more info).

Anyway, the video: https://youtube.com/watch?v=R-PtKZCjkQo

(a cloud analisis may be old news, but the video is good)

The Gamexplain video is completely different sort of video. It gave canonical background to Cloud's moveset. GimR's video isn't going to do shit for you if you don't give a shit about frame data.

DrArchon

In regards to Dark Samus, I'd love for her to be the new Metroid rep, but I'm not going to pretend that she'd even close to likely. She was in two games (technically three I guess) and there's no sign that she'll appear in any future Metroid games. Plus, didn't Sakamoto go on record questioning how canon the Prime games are in regards to the series?

If Dark Samus were to somehow get in, I'd imagine it'd be as a last minute clone like Dark Pit. Could they make a unique moveset? Easily. But they could've done that for Dark Pit and Ganondorf as well.

Eteric Rice

I wonder if this is really going to be the last Smash Bros? It seems like Sakurai is trying to get everyone in to make all those crazy wishes come true.

I mean, Sakurai deserves a break of course, but I hope we get a new one maybe 7 or 8 years from now.

L Thammy

What if instead of having Dark Pit and Dark Samus, we instead had Shadow the Hedgehog
and Metal Sonic
and Mecha Sonic
and Silver Sonic
and Rocket Metal Sonic
and Ashura the Hedgehog
and Darkspine Sonic
and Scourge the Hedgehog

I wonder if this is really going to be the last Smash Bros? It seems like Sakurai is trying to get everyone in to make all those crazy wishes come true.

I mean, Sakurai deserves a break of course, but I hope we get a new one maybe 7 or 8 years from now.

Who knows? Sakurai designs every Smash Bros to be the last. Maybe he'll come up with another idea that he just has to do.

Fandangox

Wii U/3DS came out 6 years after Brawl, so that may be the waiting time for the next one.

ffdgh

What if instead of having Dark Pit and Dark Samus, we instead had Shadow the Hedgehog
and Metal Sonic
and Mecha Sonic
and Silver Sonic
and Rocket Metal Sonic
and Ashura the Hedgehog
and Darkspine Sonic
and Scourge the Hedgehog

Who knows? Sakurai designs every Smash Bros to be the last. Maybe he'll come up with another idea that he just has to do.

You kid but I was legitimately hoping for a dark spine alt lol. Oh well atlease we got fierce deity.

DrArchon

This could very well be the last Sakurai Smash, but there's no way this is the last Smash period. The games make too much money for Nintendo to abandon if Sakurai calls it quits. They'll find someone else to lead the development of the next one if they have to.

Whether or not it would be as good as a Sakurai Smash, well there's no way to know that.

Gravidee

In regards to Dark Samus, I'd love for her to be the new Metroid rep, but I'm not going to pretend that she'd even close to likely. She was in two games (technically three I guess) and there's no sign that she'll appear in any future Metroid games. Plus, didn't Sakamoto go on record questioning how canon the Prime games are in regards to the series?

If Dark Samus were to somehow get in, I'd imagine it'd be as a last minute clone like Dark Pit. Could they make a unique moveset? Easily. But they could've done that for Dark Pit and Ganondorf as well.

It would be great if they could make her unique. A moveset exactly like Samus's makes no sense even though they look similar in appearance and have an arm cannon. For starters, she would probably hover instead of run. Up B could either be flying, or something like a cross between Samus's screw attack and Sonic's homing attack.

Cerium

This could very well be the last Sakurai Smash, but there's no way this is the last Smash period. The games make too much money for Nintendo to abandon if Sakurai calls it quits. They'll find someone else to lead the development of the next one if they have to.

Whether or not it would be as good as a Sakurai Smash, well there's no way to know that.
What Sakurai really brings to Smash is his cache throughout the industry; he can call up any company and ask for any character and he's likely to get it. Except maybe the modern Konami. People really respect this guy and trust him creatively. He'd be really hard to replace in that regard.

Toxi

Banned
It would be great if they could make her unique. A moveset exactly like Samus's makes no sense even though they look similar in appearance and have an arm cannon. For starters, she would probably hover instead of run. Up B could either be flying, or something like a cross between Samus's screw attack and Sonic's homing attack.
Up-B could be her pseudo shinespark from Prime 2.

But I really want to see if they can incorporate her clones from Prime 3.

dark-samus-o.gif

Gravidee

Up-B could be her pseudo shinespark from Prime 2.

But I really want to see if they can incorporate her clones from Prime 3.

dark-samus-o.gif

I imagine they could either be an offensive/defensive decoy, like Zelda's phantom, or appear as part of Dark Samus's final smash along with Aurora Unit 313.

It is bullshit. Seems kind of childish to speculate some war over 3rd party characters. PSABR probably didn't even have half the budget of Smash 4.

To think that Sakurai spent his time making decisions on this game and adding 3rd party characters to spite a last gen party brawler whose developers were cut loose is silly.

Yeah I figured it was bullshit. Sounded like something some idiot fanboy would concoct.

Mit-

Mit- said:
His Limit Break upsmash seems to trigger a Little Mac style OHKO. I thought at first it'd be a reference to an eject attack (some kind of whirlwind that removes players/enemies from the battle), but later found there are no such wind moves in FFVII (though I'm fairly certain there are in other games).
Finishing Touch

Yes! You're absolutely right. How have people not been talking about this??? It clearly triggers a OHKO animation similar to Little Mac. So cool. Fucking Sakurai man. This is why so many third party characters are in this game. His attention to detail when it comes to properly designing and paying homage to a character is as good if not better than the very publishers who own the characters.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Would you tell yourself a year ago that Cloud will be in this game? To this day I can still feel the surrealness.

Ryce

I think the move to HD and the design for two completely different systems took a lot of time. Next smash development should be easier.
It only took two-and-a-half years to make the Wii U and 3DS versions. We didn't get them until 2014 because Sakurai was working on Kid Icarus beforehand. I suspect he'll want to do something new in the next few years before coming back to Smash Bros.

MisterHero

poor snake :(

The 3rd Capcom character should be Demitri from Darkstalkers

his final smash would be Midnight Bliss and everyone would finally get Girl Link

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Would you tell yourself a year ago that Cloud will be in this game? To this day I can still feel the surrealness.

Nope. If you told me that we are going to have Smash Bros with Cloud, Ryu, Sonic, Pac Man and Mega Man. I wouldn't believe you and laughs at you for being delusional nutjob. :p

Ōkami;185736983 said:
Good fanart is taking too long to show up.

Poor Snake. He's pouting in background. RIP Snake.

Anyone else think his face looks a bit off? There are a lot of versions of him (Original, KH, Dissidia, AC) and those all look good to me as far as the face is concerned.

Ōkami;185736983 said:
Good fanart is taking too long to show up.

Funny how they're all associated with the characters they mentioned in some way.

Ryu: Kyo is the main character of King of Fighters, another fighting game series
Mega Man: Jill is another Capcom character
Cloud: Both Tomb Raider and FF7 were on the PS1 and are both owned by Square-Enix
Sonic: Recently did a crossover with Angry Birds
Pac-Man: Pac-Man, Rayman

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
Funny how they're all associated with the characters they mentioned in some way.

Ryu: Kyo is the main character of KOF
Mega Man: Jill is another Capcom character
Cloud: Both Tomb Raider and FF7 were on the PS1
Sonic: Recently did a crossover with Angry Birds
Pac-Man: Pac-Man, Rayman

Well, Square-Enix also owned Tomb Raider now since they bought Eidos.

random25

On a different note, I miss the BitF comic strips. We now have a lot of new characters, and it would be fun if the creator will make something out of the newcomers.

gabbo

If I get Earthworm Jim, they can shelve it for 10 years and Id be fine (have another team do a story dlc).

Pokemaniac

Sakurai has said in interviews that he treats every game he works on as it it was the last one in the series, so stuff like this is kinda just his normal MO.

Don't forget that there was some sort of "legal issue" about getting Snake into PSASBR. It was never elaborated on, but it sounded to me like there may have been some non-compete section in the deal to put Snake in Brawl, keeping him out of similar crossover games. Not only is Cloud "rubbing it in Sony's face," but if they're really working on a Power Stone-inspired PSASBR 2, this would mean that they couldn't get Cloud, even if Square wanted them to.

I don't know if that's hilarious, or a dick move on Nintendo's part. At least PSASBR can still get Lightning.

This is what people convinced themselves was true because they couldn't fathom why he wouldn't be in PSASBR.

It is rationalization, not reality.

Aizo

Banned
You don't understand, this has nothing to do with fun. This is serious. This is about the integrity of Nintendo as a company, and about a little thing I like to call honor. I don't know how much the rest of you know about Nintendo fan culture (I'm an expert), but honor and shame are huge parts of it. It's not like it is with Square-Enix where you can become successful by being an angsty asshole with a big sword. If you screw a Nintendo fan over at Nintendo, you bring shame to yourself, and the only way to get rid of that shame is repentance and calling out for Gaia.

What this means is the Nintendo fans at GoNintendo, after hearing about this, are not going to want to purchase the Cloud DLC, nor will they purchase any of Nintendo's games. This is HUGE. You can laugh all you want, but Nintendo has alienated an entire market with this move.

Sakurai, publicly apologize to whoever's running Nintendo now and cancel the Cloud DLC or you can kiss what remains of your hands goodbye.
Good ol' Gaf memes. If I didn't get this one, I'd think you're insane.

Top Bottom