• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Code Name S.T.E.A.M. (IntSys 3DS) Assets (Box, Screens)

GRW810

I think there's a lot of peeved people in here stripping because this game wasn't Metroid or Majora's Mask or Mother.

Pikma

Banned
Lol how dare people want new Nintendo IPs to be visually appealing.

how dare some people actually like the art style of the game, and how dare people keep their judgement for when they see actual footage because, I don't know, all 3DS games look different in motion or something.

When is the video supposed to go live

Video? there's no video, it'll be shown tomorrow in the Treehouse livestream, it starts at 9:30 PST but I doubt it'll be the first thing they'll show. We're probably going to have to wait till noon but idk, it lasts until 17:00 PST so it'd be really hard to tell.

Heroman

Banned
250px-Paper_mario_sticker_star_box-art.png

but Sticker star is the best paper Mario game

I think that in the future this game may be mentioned as one of those that would have been benefited from coming on a later platform, in this case the 3DS successor. I'm not saying anything about another company, keep it at Nintendo.

We'll see better tomorrow (or today, depending on your timezone).

Tomohawk

Why are people acting like those who don't find the art style appealing are against new ips. The game is still a ways off so it could change, but that doesn't mean people can't express opinions on what was given to them.

Why are people acting like those who don't find the art style appealing are against new ips. The game is still a ways off so it could change, but that doesn't mean people can't express opinions on what was given to them.

Because people are claiming they vomited over it or that it looks like a DS game, which is such absurd levels of hyperbole (or a sign of serious addiction), that it's hard to have a discussion about how fucking fun this thing sounds.

EDIT: There's also the A-Grade twats who decided they hated this game the second they realized this wasn't going to be the remake that they some how hyped themselves up into believing was going to be announced. I think at least some portion of the 'lol, ugly, will not play' comments are coming from Majoras Maskers.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Some of you guys are crazy

This is Intelligent System. Pushmo didn't exactly look like The last of us either, still a FANTASTIC game

Artstyle could maybe work in motion... Since it's 2015 hopefully they have the wisdom to gauge the reactions to the box art and uninspired title, so that it doesn't become a commercial failure that would discourage them to make new IPs...

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
I was at the roundtable, and I must say: in one hour, the game grew from a resounding "meh" since the initial reveal to a must-buy status after hearing the developers talk about it. They all knew exactly what they were talking about, communicating perfectly what they were striving for, their influences, the strengths of the game, and so on.

Besides, in Intelligent Systems we trust.

Edit: Oh, and the game looks great in action.

Another edit: I see people aren't fond of the art style. I wasn't at first too, but after they threw the explanations and a couple of funny in-game jokes at us, I was convinced. It's supposed to be inspired by Jack Kirby's art.

Jethro

Can't wait to see this game in action at the Treehouse.

A new strategy game by Intelligent Systems is always welcomed.

Taker666

It has to be said ...the box art is terrible.

I really think the game itself would benefit from a more muted colour scheme...Steampunk is a genre where more industrial greys and browns seems to fit. They should have gone for a more serious Fire Emblem cutscene character design (with steampunk clothing of course).

Tookay

We can acknowledge that, visually, it looks like shit.

And we can still be hyped over the concept.

These don't have to be mutually exclusive concepts.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

there is nothing wrong in disliking it visually
But I'm stunned by people claiming it's a DS game, deciding that it is shitty because it's not Metroid, toning it down as a "C+" low budget game just because doing so they could still deny "Nintendo new IPs" existence

Me too, I don't like the chara design (while other aspect seem good to me), and from the screen it doesn't seem visually impressive, technically
That said, I know that 3DS games often look horrible in screen, so I'm waiting the Treehouse demo to see it in motion; I know the developers; I've read the details; I've heard the comments from GameXplain; I know they presented it as an importan project; so: I really think that this will have good production value, good gameplay and so on.

I was at the roundtable, and I must say: in one hour, the game grew from a resounding "meh" since the initial reveal to a must-buy status after hearing the developers talk about it. They all knew exactly what they were talking about, communicating perfectly what they were striving for, their influences, the strengths of the game, and so on.

Besides, in Intelligent Systems we trust.

Edit: Oh, and the game looks great in action.

Another edit: I see people aren't fond of the art style. I wasn't at first too, but after they threw the explanations and a couple of funny in-game jokes at us, I was convinced. It's supposed to be inspired by Jack Kirby's art.

Now, let's see how many people will believe this part...as if it's the first 3DS game looking shitty in screens and very good in motion...

Nicktendo86

A new turn based game from the makers of advance wars is really exciting, but yeah it *looks* bloody awful. Hope it looks much better in motion...

Edit: Brazil's comments have me excited.

This looks like shit. Smartphone games from 2010 look better. And that is the big game?
Where is F-Zero, Wave Race, Metroid???

Damn... Nintendo..

magnetic

It´s the main characters face, it ruined my first impression completely.

Reminds me of this guy:

I personally would have preferred a slightly sleeker visual style, with more intense colors - I actually kinda like the colors on the STEAM cover, with the nice orange/purple color contrast, but the screens look very dim and muddy, and I don´t know how much "being in motion" will change that.

Something like this:

I think the fact that everything looks so muted and brownish makes it look completely non-Nintendo, who almost always have a great feeling for bright, primary colors.

Sadist

I want to see it in motion actually.

Artstyle reminds me of Batman: Brave and the Bold. That's not a bad thing. Protagonist looks like an angry Aquaman. OUTRAGEOUS

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Feel the same way when I saw ALBW revealed art style in screens put me off , then I played it and wow it was fantastic and played to the strengths of the 3DS, I believe this game will so the same thing , day one for me.

Game sounds bonkers enough an unique enough to be great also I love AW.

RiggyRob

Hoo, went to bed happy knowing it was an Intelligent Systems game but those pics look rough. Need to see it in motion first, but I think I'd have preferred it if they went the TW101's prototype comic-book style.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I am bummed by them not annoucing the trinity of Majoras Mask, Mother 1-4 and Metroid 3DS, but this also looks really cool and is sure to be a quality title. And while the new IP thing isnt important for me, the new mechanics thing certainly is, and this game looks like it will have a few of those, so I for one am looking forward to this!

Jintor

I personally would have preferred a slightly sleeker visual style, with more intense colors - I actually kinda like the colors on the STEAM cover, with the nice orange/purple color contrast, but the screens look very dim and muddy, and I don´t know how much "being in motion" will change that.

Something like this:

Well, Awars Dark Dawn. But no-one liked that game's colour style. (Art style was okay... actually quite sharp looking)

Funny, when I first heard 'steampunk fight aliens' I was wondering if it was a precursor to w101

Top Bottom