• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Crash Bandicoot N. Sane Trilogy Trailer Shown at PSX

So is this essentially a "trace" of the original? I know they said they used the original gemoetry of the levels to have them exact, but is all the movement also been copied over and traced?

Tapejara

So is this essentially a "trace" of the original? I know they said they used the original gemoetry of the levels to have them exact, but is all the movement also been copied over and traced?

In the Blog post they say:

Dan Tanguay said:
We played them to the point that we broke controllers from mashing the jump button too much. We studied original concept art and commercials for inspiration. And we went even further back to understand the material that originally inspired Naughty Dog, including Who Framed Roger Rabbit? and Looney Tunes.

With all of that in mind, we started our work. Using the original level geometry from Naughty Dog as a guide, we rebuilt the Crash gameplay from scratch, capturing its simplicity and precision.

So it sounds like they tried to be as accurate as possible to the gameplay of the originals.

It's playable in demo form at PSX, right? Any GAFfers have gameplay impressions?

So it sounds like they tried to be as accurate as possible to the gameplay of the originals.

It's playable in demo form at PSX, right? Any GAFfers have gameplay impressions?

Yes its playable at PSX, haven't seen any gaf impressions.

Sounds like they havent kept any original code then. That's fine but i'm just worried we might have another sonic 4 on our hands when it comes to physics and movement.

it just has to "feel right" to me.

18-Volt

I'm still sour that this is not coming for Vita. We can't even play original PS classics on Vita! At least Sony should allow us to.

SZips

Finally got around to watching these videos. It's looking pretty damn good to me! Pretty much what I expected the game to look like.

Looks fantastic from what I've seen.

Though it's worrying that they chose not to show any of 2 or 3: they were made on a completely different engine than Crash 1 and their gameplay feels notably different (faster). I really hope VV's remakes reflect that.

Tizoc

Looks fantastic from what I've seen.

Though it's worrying that they chose not to show any of 2 or 3: they were made on a completely different engine than Crash 1 and their gameplay feels notably different (faster). I really hope VV's remakes reflect that.

2 and 3 were likely still in development and thus they weren't ready to be shown, but had enough of Crash 1 to show.
I'm still sour that this is not coming for Vita. We can't even play original PS classics on Vita! At least Sony should allow us to.

The whole Vita thing is up to Activision.

The spin animation could use more work TBH. Looks primitive.

If anything, the spin should be a smear. Like this:
c6e9f3976e7619213dfbae701f19bbc7.gif

This is my gripe with the remaster right now - technically it looks very nice, but it looks way stiffer than the original in spots, mostly because the animation seems to kinda lack some of the Looney Tunes-esque smears and stretching the original had. Hopefully they can fine tune that stuff.

Tapejara

Games are published under "Sony Computer Entertainment" banner so I thought it was Sony's doing.

Every PSOne Classic is published by SIE - excluding the import titles that are handled by Monkey Paw and Hamster. Despite this, it's possible that Sony's licensing of third party PSOne Classics only extends to PS3 and PSP, which requires separate publisher sign-off for Vita compatibility (remember PSOne Classics on Vita are just the PSP versions, as you can see by the warning screen that pops up whenever you boot one up).

Nicky Ali

lol, I was actually thinking of doing something like this.
At the risk of being that guy on the internet who boosts up the colours and contrast on a video to make it look how he thinks it should look, here's me doing that:

crash_boosted4yoxj.gif

Fingers crossed the final product looks a bit brighter/bolder. The footage shown looks kinda drab in places, especially in some of the outdoor areas.
If the game is releasing for Q4 2017, I imagine they'll (hopefully) touch up the visuals before release.

So I was bored and made my own "what should Crash look like in HD".

I also drew in toon outlines because why not?

pbmRWC3.jpg

And here's a comparison with how the current game looks.

Vavc3l4.jpg

What do you think?
I quite like this, although Crash himself just ends up looking like a weird hazy orange blob in the process.

I've seen people mention this, but I really want to emphasise it - as utterly pedantic as it is - WTF is going on with that font? It looks like some sort of generic Indiana Jones typeface; hopefully it's a placeholder.
Surely it can't have been that hard to get the original font?

Fbh

Looking at some more footage.
It looks pretty good. The only thing I'm not sold on is the Crash model. From some angles he looks great, but in many of the close-ups he looks really weird.. more like some guy in a crash suit than an actual character

More like an in game version of this:
hqdefault.jpg

Than a HD version of the original.

Harmen

I think the B-roll footage looks great. Sure the colouring could be a bit more faithful, but I think that is not inherently better. Really looking forward to this and props to Sony and Activision for listening to the fans and actually putting in some work.

BHK3

Banned
Few complaints

Crashes model seems to be on the right track but his upper body looks too big, someone mentioned the live action guy in the suit design and it reminds me of that as well

The wumpas seem to sit for a good second before being collected, disturbing the flow of the game

Crashes stands on the boxes also for a split second before it registers him as stomping on the boxes, hopefully that'll be ironed out

Biggest complaint of all, what I feared would happen, the game has no charm. It really looks like someone went into cryengine or unreal engine 4 and just remade a few levels.

All of these things will mess with the 'feel' of the game. Crash 1 is the most simplest so if they don't get correct now, then 2 and 3 are gonna feel terrible once you start throwing boogie rocket boards, jet skis and motorcycles in it. Like why does donkey kong country returns look so much more vibrant compared to this?

brawly

At the risk of being that guy on the internet who boosts up the colours and contrast on a video to make it look how he thinks it should look, here's me doing that:

crash_boosted4yoxj.gif

Fingers crossed the final product looks a bit brighter/bolder. The footage shown looks kinda drab in places, especially in some of the outdoor areas.

You can easily do this on your tv though. I did something similar last time I watched Man of Steel.

AHA-Lambda

One thing I'm curious about; I wonder why this is not a Sierra-branded game since Crash and Spyro came from Sierra/Vivendi.

Geometry Wars 3 retained the branding at retail:

Would've been cool personally. Then again, Mind Over Mutant and Dawn of the Dragon were last second re-branded as Activision games (box only, I don't think the code even mentions Activision, they weren't in the logo intros to my knowledge).

I believe Sierra now is not the same entity as Sierra from back then.

Sierra now is basically a subsidiary of Activision used just for indie titles.

Even if they are tracing most of the gameplay, I really hope they fix the driving sections in the third game. Those have not aged well.

It's too bad CTR isn't part of this. At the same time, it's amazing that it's happening, and I'm looking forward to playing through the games again.

PaulloDEC

Few complaints

Crashes model seems to be on the right track but his upper body looks too big, someone mentioned the live action guy in the suit design and it reminds me of that as well

The wumpas seem to sit for a good second before being collected, disturbing the flow of the game

Crashes stands on the boxes also for a split second before it registers him as stomping on the boxes, hopefully that'll be ironed out

Biggest complaint of all, what I feared would happen, the game has no charm. It really looks like someone went into cryengine or unreal engine 4 and just remade a few levels.

All of these things will mess with the 'feel' of the game. Crash 1 is the most simplest so if they don't get correct now, then 2 and 3 are gonna feel terrible once you start throwing boogie rocket boards, jet skis and motorcycles in it. Like why does donkey kong country returns look so much more vibrant compared to this?

I feel like most of the issues people have with the visuals stem back to the style of lighting they're using. Compared with something like DCKR it seems very... naturalistic maybe? The models and art are pretty cartoony, but they're lit in a semi-realistic fashion.

You can easily do this on your tv though. I did something similar last time I watched Man of Steel.

Sure, but I'd prefer not to have to have a dedicated TV setting for one game :p

It's too bad CTR isn't part of this. At the same time, it's amazing that it's happening, and I'm looking forward to playing through the games again.

I'm actually happy for CTR to come later, if the trilogy sells well. It'll be good for Vicarious Visions to have these games as a warm-up.

Tapejara

The only good thing about the having to build these games up from scratch is that it means that if CTR does eventually come, it'll probably be easier to implement online rather than trying to retrofit it into twenty year-old code :p.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
The only good thing about the having to build these games up from scratch is that it means that if CTR does eventually come, it'll probably be easier to implement online rather than trying to retrofit it into twenty year-old code :p.

Well CTR is a bit of a different beast than the original trilogy, no? How much could they reuse from this set besides art assets?

strafer

I love Crash Team Racing. Wish I still had my copy.

BHK3

Banned
I feel like most of the issues people have with the visuals stem back to the style of lighting they're using. Compared with something like DCKR it seems very... naturalistic maybe? The models and art are pretty cartoony, but they're lit in a semi-realistic fashion.

It looks realistic, but too clean. It looks cartoony, but not cartoony enough. The lighting itself is very flat, why is the beach lit the same way as when you enter the jungle surrounded by trees? Body stretching and funny faces were everywhere in Crash, that doesn't seem to be the case here. What will make or break this remaster is the temple levels. If they don't get that right then all of Crash 2 is going to be a atmosphereless slog and Crash 3 is gonna seem super weird.

Tapejara

Well CTR is a bit of a different beast than the original trilogy, no? How much could they reuse from this set besides art assets?

I meant that it might be easier to implement online while also building CTR from the ground up like they're doing here. It's their own codebase on a modern engine so it's probably easier to code networking features into it rather than retrofit it.

I love Crash Team Racing. Wish I still had my copy.

It's such a good racer. It's on PSN (at least in NA) if you have a PS3 lying around.

I loved this reveal, I do think the colours need to pop a bit more but it's mostly great. I'll definitely be picking this up.

I can imagine them turning their attention to CTR only if this game does well enough.

strafer

It's such a good racer. It's on PSN (at least in NA) if you have a PS3 lying around.

Just looked at the store and it's there; cheap too. I keep forgetting that the store has PS1 games.

I actually bought Crash 1 and 3 on PSN a way back but havent installed them.

This might be a good time to play through it again.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I can imagine them turning their attention to CTR only if this game does well enough.

I'd love to see CTR redone. The one thing that has always bothered me about the original is that, unlike MK64, you can't race in cups with a mixture of friends and bots, which, needless to say, wouldn't be an issue for a remake.

Igama

Neo Member
It's better than I expected to be honest, I really like how Crash looks. Now I want to see some Warped footage.

I will be a happy man if we get Crash Team Racing after this.

The spin animation could use more work TBH. Looks primitive.

If anything, the spin should be a smear. Like this:
c6e9f3976e7619213dfbae701f19bbc7.gif
Just put smears all over your TV to help. Maybe some Dorito dust finger smears since it's roughly the same color as Crash.

There, helped you out of a jam

AyzOn

Neo Member
Not sure if they mentioned it anywhere yet, but is there even a tiny tiny tiny chance that its coming to pc?

Mikey Jr.

Jesus Christ at people complaining about the tiniest minutia.

We are getting fucking crash 1,2 and 3 completely redone from the ground up and very very faithful to the original.

"herp a derp, I hate his eyebrows!" "I hate trivial X y z thing!"

Top Bottom