• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n Blast (Arcade) announced by Raw Thrills and Nintendo. Out Jan 2017

Synth

All I'll say is that it is Sega.

YES! Basically guaranteed to be something I've been waiting for.

Watch it be fucking Manx TT Superbike 2 or some bullshit

EDIT:
Or goddamn Sega Touring Car. If it's that, I'll cut you Glowsquid.

IIRC, It was a port of the arcade version of Big Buck Hunter Pro. At the time Raw Thrills/Play Mechanix was moving on to Big Buck Safari and then Big Buck World. At the moment they are on Big Buck HD Wild, which should be the case until 2018, maybe longer.

Hmm, what about House of the Dead 2 and 3 Wii? I've heard those are ported from PC, and that HOD1 wasn't included for some reason. Any thoughts? Maybe the code for HOD1 was too outdated? But didn't Gunblade NY run on the same board and that got ported just fine?

Fake edit: HOD1 runs on Model 2 where as Gunblade NY runs on Model 2B CRX... does that make much difference?

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Hmm, what about House of the Dead 2 and 3 Wii? I've heard those are ported from PC, and that HOD1 wasn't included for some reason. Any thoughts? Maybe the code for HOD1 was too outdated? But didn't Gunblade NY run on the same board and that got ported just fine?

Fake edit: HOD1 runs on Model 2 where as Gunblade NY runs on Model 2B CRX... does that make much difference?

Those are all Sega where's it's a different set of rules than Raw Thrills. While I've talked with some higher up Sega R&D people at trade shows, they generally don't deal much with ports. They do hint at stuff that they would like to do but Sega Japan generally has different plans.

Although one shocking thing they told me about once is that the company lost the Daytona USA source code. In the case of HOTD1, there's a possibility that it was also lost, given it was the same era. Not sure how you have that happen to some of your biggest games. It created a problem when Sega tried to bring Daytona back in 2009 with Sega Racing Classic. SRC was running off of a modified emulator to remove the Daytona stuff (which they had lost the license to). Since they couldn't furnish the original source, they couldn't sell into places like Italy, which require the source by law or something along that line.

Those are all Sega where's it's a different set of rules than Raw Thrills. While I've talked with some higher up Sega R&D people at trade shows, they generally don't deal much with ports. They do hint at stuff that they would like to do but Sega Japan generally has different plans.

Although one shocking thing they told me about once is that the company lost the Daytona USA source code. In the case of HOTD1, there's a possibility that it was also lost, given it was the same era. Not sure how you have that happen to some of your biggest games. It created a problem when Sega tried to bring Daytona back in 2009 with Sega Racing Classic. SRC was running off of a modified emulator to remove the Daytona stuff (which they had lost the license to). Since they couldn't furnish the original source, they couldn't sell into places like Italy, which require the source by law or something along that line.

No kidding? Wow. That would explain it, and also why HOD1 hasn't been re-released since the 90's I think. I think Sega said they couldn't put it on Wii due to technical issues, but maybe they just said that to cover the potential source code loss.

I remember reading folks say they lost a lot of Saturn source codes but wasn't aware of arcade source codes also missing. Might be due to floppy storage. I read an interview with Chris Stamper from Rare at DK Vine saying they couldn't retrieve the source code from DKC1 due to not even remembering how those files even worked... for the ones they even found, so they had to do all of the GBA ports from the ground up I think.

Edit: Here:

http://www.dkvine.com/features/stamped_dkcgba.html

I think we've come a LONG way from those days! :p

Arcadehero

Neo Member
No kidding? Wow. That would explain it, and also why HOD1 hasn't been re-released since the 90's I think. I think Sega said they couldn't put it on Wii due to technical issues, but maybe they just said that to cover the potential source code loss.

I remember reading folks say they lost a lot of Saturn source codes but wasn't aware of arcade source codes also missing. Might be due to floppy storage. I read an interview with Chris Stamper from Rare at DK Vine saying they couldn't retrieve the source code from DKC1 due to not even remembering how those files even worked... for the ones they even found, so they had to do all of the GBA ports from the ground up I think.

That would make sense, especially if they liked to use weird file formats or the floppies weren't properly stored. Guess I can't blame them for not wanting to talk about it although it would be interesting to know just how many games have been lost at the source (probably a big number I would imagine).

Can confirm that Sega lost the HotD source code. It's the reason why we'll never get another port of the game aside from the Saturn one.

Regiruler

It's possible sega lost house of the dead? Lord Christ almighty.

Could they not just retrieve an arcade machine and rip the assets from that and build a new port? M2 could be great at that since they know the innards of machines like few others.

Xellos

Neat! Hope my local theater gets one of these machines.

And as silly as "750 ti supercomputer" sounds, it's still a decent little chip and more than good enough for Cruis'n. Probably pretty cheap at this point, too.

Arcadehero

Neo Member
Could they not just retrieve an arcade machine and rip the assets from that and build a new port? M2 could be great at that since they know the innards of machines like few others.

I imagine there are certain things they could rip from the ROMs. It worked enough for Sega Racing Classic, however no one really liked that game as Daytona without LET'S GO AWAY sucks. They did get everything up-rezzed to 720p though and changed out a few assets (anything with Daytona on it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PdpIgxH4LU

drotahorror

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOEDZru-gms

Some gameplay footage of the London track from Team VVV
skip to 1minute if you don't want to check out the machine. Skip to 1:30 for shoulder/non shaky cam.

Looks sick to me, hope it comes to the Switch.

Game looks really busy and that's what I like about arcade racers. Sort of gives me a Motorstorm Apocalypse vibe with all the destruction going on.

Het_Nkik

I played this at Belmont Park in Mission Beach.

It's ugly and dumb and it seems like everyone's speed is crazy inconsistent on straightaways but it's pretty fun.

illadelph

Hopefully I can find this. I don't think I ever saw F-Zero AX in person. I did play a few shitty Mario Kart GP machines, though.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
There's no brake pedal...lol what.

You don't really need one in a Cruis'n game...

In slightly releated news, Namco is shipping the North American version of Maximum Tune 5 now. Once they start going online, Namco will put up an online game locator.

deleted

There's a lot going on, but at the same time, it looks very clean.

Looks like a higher resolution, lower end budget arcade racer from the PS360 era. It looks kinda bad, it looks kinda stupid, but it looks like a lot of fun!
Would love for this genre to get a small push and appear on consoles again.

Quasicat

On the trailer, it said Raw Thrills…but I’m not sure if that is the developer or if that also counts them as the publisher. Either way, this could open the doors for Raw Thrills to get their stuff on consoles. I’ve played a few of their titles, but really liked the TMNT arcade game they made and would love to see them start publishing more of their arcades over.

Cravis

On the trailer, it said Raw Thrills…but I’m not sure if that is the developer or if that also counts them as the publisher. Either way, this could open the doors for Raw Thrills to get their stuff on consoles. I’ve played a few of their titles, but really liked the TMNT arcade game they made and would love to see them start publishing more of their arcades over.
H2Overdrive...

happy erection GIF by neomagazinroyale

Top Bottom