• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Cruis'n Blast (Arcade) announced by Raw Thrills and Nintendo. Out Jan 2017

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
For those who aren't aware, Raw Thrills was founded by Eugene Jarvis, one of the all-time legends of arcade videogames. He gave the world Defender, Stargate, Robotron 2084, Blaster, Narc, Smash TV and Cruis'n USA, among others. He's about as big as they get in this industry and the fact that he's still doing his thing is a miracle.

I am greatly looking forward to Cruis'n Blast. It's going to be awesome fun and the world needs more awesome arcade games.

This thread confuses me greatly.

It's like you lot aren't watching the same video as me. You know, the one in the OP of the game that looks worse than a dreadful FTP mobile racing game with 'gameplay' from 2008.

Honestly if this wasn't Nintendo and didn't have the crusin brand (and those games were trash back then anyway), no one would be excited for it. You're all just suckers for branding and marketing.

Imagine this being the game you're looking forward to in 2021. Of all the games on offer, this is what you'll choose to spend time and money on? Horrible looking, generic boring dated and limited gameplay, trash graphics and an art style that looks like a student project.

But hey, it's crusin.

MastaKiiLA

For those who aren't aware, Raw Thrills was founded by Eugene Jarvis, one of the all-time legends of arcade videogames. He gave the world Defender, Stargate, Robotron 2084, Blaster, Narc, Smash TV and Cruis'n USA, among others. He's about as big as they get in this industry and the fact that he's still doing his thing is a miracle.

I am greatly looking forward to Cruis'n Blast. It's going to be awesome fun and the world needs more awesome arcade games.
Holy shit! He was behind Smash TV? In that case, the man is an absolute legend. One of my all-time favorite arcade games. Up there with TMNT and Daytona USA.

//DEVIL//

It's like you lot aren't watching the same video as me. You know, the one in the OP of the game that looks worse than a dreadful FTP mobile racing game with 'gameplay' from 2008.

Honestly if this wasn't Nintendo and didn't have the crusin brand (and those games were trash back then anyway), no one would be excited for it. You're all just suckers for branding and marketing.

Imagine this being the game you're looking forward to in 2021. Of all the games on offer, this is what you'll choose to spend time and money on? Horrible looking, generic boring dated and limited gameplay, trash graphics and an art style that looks like a student project.

But hey, it's crusin.

But Sadly that is the point with most of Nintendo games. you look at games like the Wario for switch.. if you remove that IP and put random character, I wouldn't buy it for 1$.

the same goes for many Nintendo games sadly. which is why games like Wave Race for example never was popular enough for a franchise. now make a Wave Race with Mario IP ? millions copies sold day 1.

This is where Sony sucks. outside a couple of games they don't have proper IP to count on. maybe Kratos ? Drake ? ( does that idiot even count ?)

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member

But hey, it's crusin.
dude, you can drive a freaking shark with a laser in this game, meaning your opinion is invalid...

...but please give us more of your negativity. it sure pushes us to new heights. oh, and please spare me the gibberish about being a sucker for branding and marketing.

dude, you can drive a freaking shark with a laser in this game, meaning your opinion is invalid...

...but please give us more of your negativity. it sure pushes us to new heights. oh, and please spare me the gibberish about being a sucker for branding and marketing.
I'm not being negative, I'm just being honest. More honest that most people in this thread.

This game is a turd. It looks like rubbish and it likely plays like rubbish and if you get more than 2 hours enjoyment out of it then you probably qualify for some sort of disability allowance.

I thought I'd balance out the nonsense with some reality.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
But Sadly that is the point with most of Nintendo games. you look at games like the Wario for switch.. if you remove that IP and put random character, I wouldn't buy it for 1$.
WarioWare is a great franchise.
Entertaining, moody, and charmingly designed.
The concept is unique too.

This place, as of lately, is surely full of inbred manchildren with the need of spreading their hot takes as if they were gospel.
"oh, you like this piece of entertainment. oh well, now I will tell you why you wrong. lololol"

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I thought I'd balance out the nonsense with some reality.
Your reality isn't gospel.

It's just your take. Stop pushing it onto others who enjoy what they are seeing. I have my reasons why I enjoy over-the-top arcade racers that are simple-minded fun.
You have yours to dislike them. No reason to make this about "uhh yall are suckers for branding and marketing and I am so special for saying this uhhh. My opinion has so much value lololol"

Your reality isn't gospel.

It's just your take. Stop pushing it onto others who enjoy what they are seeing. I have my reasons why I enjoy over-the-top arcade racers that are simple-minded fun.
You have yours to dislike them. No reason to make this about "uhh yall are suckers for branding and marketing and I am so special for saying this uhhh. My opinion has so much value lololol"
Facts exist dude. Some things aren't opinion.

The sky looks blue, Biden is President, this game has dated graphics and gameplay.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The sky looks blue, Biden is President, this game has dated graphics and gameplay..

Wanna know another fact? Most people in this thread are here for a reason - because they like this game.
You are here because you want to shit-talk.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
And I get frustrated at things I don't understand.

It's over-the-top arcade racing with a very decent amount of tracks and a ridiculous roster of cars/vehicles. It is silly, cheesy, fun, and entertaining.
It may not be deep or "high art", but it does what it supposed to do. If it controls nicely and has varied track designs, this is definitely something I'd play every now and then for a few laps. I also hope for online play and 60 FPS would be great too.

You may not like it, but that is no reason to shit up a thread and tell people who do like how the game looks that they're suckers and have a disability.

blacktout

Honestly I'm here because I don't understand why people are saying this looks good when it doesn't. And I get frustrated at things I don't understand.

I'm definitely influenced by nostalgia. Today we get a fair number of racing sims, open world racing games, and simulation racers, but true arcade racers that are all about offering absurd spectacle and silly fun with approachable controls are all but extinct. I grew up on games like OutRun, Cruis'n USA, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, and Diddy Kong Racing where the appeal wasn't so much their precise simulation mechanics or tactical depth as it was pushing forward to see the spectacle. Most of these games had inventive tracks and wild vehicles you could unlock and screw around with. One of my favorite games from the Wii era was Excitebots for the same reason. This game scratches the same itch—Flip off a cliff and fly by the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio! Watch the earth open up and swallow a field of 747s! Fly a UFO! Fuck it, race a dinosaur!—and, given the pedigree of Raw Thrills and Nintendo, there's a good chance this will be a polished experience with responsive controls and not the sort of janky, microtransaction-riddled mess that you get with a similar game that was designed by some fly-by-night studio looking to milk the mobile audience.

Last edited:

NeptuneCL

The Cruis´n games had never been so good...., they are actually on the "average" side, but at least for fun, the game delivers....

It's over-the-top arcade racing with a very decent amount of tracks and a ridiculous roster of cars/vehicles. It is silly, cheesy, fun, and entertaining.
It may not be deep or "high art", but it does what it supposed to do. If it controls nicely and has varied track designs, this is definitely something I'd play every now and then for a few laps. I also hope for online play and 60 FPS would be great too.

You may not like it, but that is no reason to shit up a thread and tell people who do like how the game looks that they're suckers and have a disability.

I'm definitely influenced by nostalgia. Today we get a fair number of racing sims, open world racing games, and simulation racers, but true arcade racers that are all about offering absurd spectacle and silly fun with approachable controls are all but extinct. I grew up on games like OutRun, Cruis'n USA, Star Wars Episode 1 Racer, and Diddy Kong Racing where the appeal wasn't so much their precise simulation mechanics or tactical depth as it was pushing forward to see the spectacle. Most of these games had inventive tracks and wild vehicles you could unlock and screw around with. One of my favorite games from the Wii era was Excitebots for the same reason. This game scratches the same itch—Flip off a cliff and fly by the Christ the Redeemer statue in Rio! Watch the earth open up and swallow a field of 747s! Fly a UFO! Fuck it, race a dinosaur!—and, given the pedigree of Raw Thrills and Nintendo, there's a good chance this will be a polished experience with responsive controls and not the sort of janky, microtransaction-riddled mess that you get with a similar game that was designed by some fly-by-night studio looking to milk the mobile audience.
Good posts and good points.

I, too, have enjoyed an arcade racer in the past but that was when you played what you were given and liked it. (Diddy Kong Racing was my jam though and I totally took that seriously lol).

I see what you might be looking for in this and can understand you wanting it. I don't think it'll deliver though, and I'm not sure the genre ever really has, but at least I understand now.

blacktout

I don't think it'll deliver though, and I'm not sure the genre ever really has, but at least I understand now.

If I'm being completely honest, I'm worried about this too. I'm reassured by Nintendo's involvement and the large number of tracks and vehicles in the trailer, but the Cruis'n brand isn't exactly prestigious and I'm afraid the game might be mechanically flawed—it doesn't have to be deep, but it does have to be fun—in a way that kneecaps it. Still, I'm going to try to stay hopeful until I get a reason not to be.

Last edited:

Xellos

Wow, I did not expect this port. Never did see this at my local theater so I’m looking forward to trying this out.

Also kind of looking forward to seeing how closely Switch can match the 750 ti supercomputer graphics from the arcade lol. Might need the Switch Pro for this one.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
One thing that's weird to me is how the tracks look pretty decent while the cars look completely flat and awful, like they forgot to turn on the lighting for them.

Last edited:

Gamer79

Predicts the worst decade for Sony starting 2022
Would love this game but sadly no online. The no online part is a deal breaker for me. Love me some competitive online racing.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Wow, this thread is dead.
I just picked this up to play with my son. Never a huge fan of Cruisin', but this game is super fun.
Hopefully it does well. It's super over the top, colorful, ridiculous and worth having the song stuck in your head!!
It's a five year old arcade announcement thread. Of course it's dead.

Top Bottom