• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Network Stress Test client available to download on NA PSN

it's just me or backstabbing is pretty hard to do in pvp? You can roll out of it easily. at least, that's what I saw. which is a very good thing if it stays like that.

Yeah the slight delay before you get locked into the animation makes pulling off backstabs in pvp very difficult.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
anyone has a link to that hour and half video or whatever it was? want to watch it at work

Dambrosi

Banned
Right, I've taken care of all three bosses
(the big black blob-thing, the Dancer and the Frigid Knight)
, is there anything else to do with the 25 minutes I have left?

This beta is way easier than DS2's btw, anyone else think that?

Fhtagn

Ah okay thanks...easy to find? I remember in the DS2 beta I made a beeline for the zwei. Love those swords.

Actually since I only have one shot to play, what are the essential things to do and see?

If you are steady and methodical you should be able to solo your way to the boss door in about an hour; there is a hidden key and a locked door which are worth finding for a bonus mini-boss. Each class has a unique main weapon but everyone will find the greatsword and the dual falcion weapon as long as you pick everything up.

It's just the right size to spend an hour solo and then co-op and pvp the rest of the time, depending on how many times you fight the boss.

Dambrosi

Banned
Ah okay thanks...easy to find? I remember in the DS2 beta I made a beeline for the zwei. Love those swords.

Actually since I only have one shot to play, what are the essential things to do and see?
I don't think you have enough time to do much of anything anymore, sorry. Test ends in 14 minutes.

At least try to get past the dragon and get to the big fat cleaver-wielding knight at the fountain.

If you are steady and methodical you should be able to solo your way to the boss door in about an hour; there is a hidden key and a locked door which are worth finding for a bonus mini-boss. Each class has a unique main weapon but everyone will find the greatsword and the dual falcion weapon as long as you pick everything up.

It's just the right size to spend an hour solo and then co-op and pvp the rest of the time, depending on how many times you fight the boss.

Cool, thanks. I tend to be extremely methodical in my exploration in these games (hate leaving an area unexplored) so this helps.

I don't think you have enough time to do much of anything anymore, sorry. Test ends in 14 minutes.

At least try to get past the dragon and get to the big fat cleaver-wielding knight at the fountain.

USA test is supposed to be later tonight unless something changed (hope not).

Dambrosi

Banned
Cool, thanks. I tend to be extremely methodical in my exploration in these games (hate leaving an area unexplored) so this helps.

USA test is supposed to be later tonight unless something changed (hope not).
Oh, I see.

EDIT: Aaaaaaaand it's over.

There aren't going to be any more test dates, right? So it should be safe to delete the beta client?

Aaaaannd the EU beta is over. :(

If you invaded or were summoned by x_Lyze I hope you enjoyed the 1v1 PvP. I was hosting duels all evening.

Gbraga

Thank you again, GwyndolinCinder, got to play it thanks to you!

I hope they make the Greatsword a bit better in the final game! The boss fight reminds me more of Bloodborne than Dark Souls.

Very glad to know that tongue but hole and Don't give up, skeleton! are still possible. Best thing of the beta.

Invasions didnt work very well today for me. It took long. Coop was fast though.

You could get pretty fast invasions if you try using the orb right in the Frostbite arena.

Invasions didnt work very well today for me. It took long. Coop was fast though.

I'm going to guess there were a lot more people invading than there were people summoning. When I summoned for my fight club an invader immediately followed.

You could get pretty fast invasions if you try using the orb right in the Frostbite arena.

So you could PvP in that place? I only killed the boss once, and when I checked my orb going out I couldn't use it. Probably because I was almost at the elevator and no longer in the arena proper.

I was hosting at the Dancer door. Nice area and no shortage of summons and invaders.

Ferr986

Thank you again, GwyndolinCinder, got to play it thanks to you!

I hope they make the Greatsword a bit better in the final game! The boss fight reminds me more of Bloodborne than Dark Souls.

Very glad to know that tongue but hole and Don't give up, skeleton! are still possible. Best thing of the beta.

Absolutely! Thanks a lot to Gwyndolin to give me the opportunity to try the beta! /bow. May the flames guide thee.

I was trying the first bonfire. I though fight clubs were hosted there.

Yeah but then there was that nasty little troll move that if you make it to the lift before the other player you can basically trap them down there by staying on the button and they have to suicide.

Kolx

Is it confirmed that folks who downloaded from the PS+ can play, or do I need a key?

For the previous two days you need to be registered in the server in order to play. The client is not enough. Idk about the the upcoming session even tho it'll probably be the same.

I got a lot more invasions this time, and it was a lot of fun. I found that the best way to get the highest amount of pvp was to just summon some people and run them through from the first bonfire to the second. That would usually be two reds invading, and after that mayhem I could just use the red orb and it would work no problem. If I only did invasions it could take a long time before I got anything, probably because there are more invaders than people summoning.

Some notes about the character classes:

Knight:
I started with this, and it's probably the easiest to use, and with a greatsword you could just 2hr1 stunlock in pve and pvp and I think it might even give hyper armor during the swing. The short sword was also quite powerful and easy to r1 spam in pvp. The sword art seemed pretty good too, but I found the greatsword sword art a lot more fun, and you could time that better.

Northern warrior:
The axe was brutal in pvp with 2hr1 stunlock combo. The swordart r2 was quite powerful, but a bit difficult to time and usually it was a trade. Otherwise the axe moveset was a bit simple.

Cleric:
This was probably my least favorite class, mostly thanks to the boring mace moveset. It had a sword art that gave you hyperarmor for a few seconds which could be useful for some anti-gank scenarios, but otherwise the range of the mace is poor. The hyperarmor also worked with the casts, and the lightning spear seemed to track very well against people who tried to roll behind my back.

Assassin:
The spear was actually pretty good in pvp, and using the 2HL2 to catch people rolling away or commiting to a long animation was very useful. Usually spears have really boring poke poke tactics, but at least this time there's some variation to it with the timings. Out of the spells the only really useful spell was the magic sword, though fighting against a gank with mage spamming magic was pretty much impossible.

While the greatsword was a powerful and easy to use, the scimitars were unfortunately quite weak. They really needed stuff like sacred oath and resins to deal significant damage, even if you could get the l2r2 swordart to connect.

I liked the change of resin buffs only lasting a few seconds and fast to use, though maybe the time could be slightly longer.

Sanctuary

I still say it looks a bit washed-out. I was paying attention to the look of it a bit more today and I think it as lovely and detailed looking as Bloodborne, but it seems someone turned the contrast down, they need to whack it back up and make it Darker.

From all of the early preview videos up to what's more recent, it always had this really generic, NYI texture and lighting quality going on to me. It really does look way too washed out, and it doesn't help that it's so two-tone most of the time either. It's not just missing shadows to make things pop more, it's missing color in general.

That dark souls 2 beta vertical slice looked better than this and that's embarassing. Personally the series should go ps4 exclusive to ensure the graphics are to a high standard.

That dark souls 2 beta vertical slice looked better than this and that's embarrassing. Personally the series should go pc exclusive to ensure graphics are to a high standard.

See? I can do stupid too.

120v

i think it looks great. not quite the leap from DS2 (downsampled) that i'd wanted but on PC firing on all cylinders no doubt it'll be amazing

Gbraga

I hope the different amount of estus is just for balancing purposes in this test, I don't wanna hunt for shards again D:

How is the sorcerer so far?

It's alright, I guess. Never been a big fan of magic in the Souls games, and was wondering if the additions to the gameplay in this game would change my mind, but I guess not.

burgerdog

i think it looks great. not quite the leap from DS2 (downsampled) that i'd wanted but on PC firing on all cylinders no doubt it'll be amazing

It is an absolute huge leap over Dark Souls 2. The amount of detail that this and Bloodborne have over DS2 is insane. Don't just focus on the resolution of the game.

Aikidoka

What does the Manual Attack Aiming setting do exactly?

edit: i guess it's elf-explanatory but only matters with the greatsword.

Coda

I love how magic is a refillable bar now with the accompanying Ash Estus flasks. It makes being a magic user in DS III way more enticing.

Fhtagn

That was definitely a shock.

So if I've done that and the Frigid Dancer boss, what's left to see in this test? Fhtagn mentioned a hidden boss.

edit: ah, found it. Much narrower confines to fight in.

Oh good, you found it!

Anti-climactic ending for me; died to the boss with one minute left, so I ran around killing hollows to see how many I could get down in what time remained. 14 is a pretty good number I'd say.

Also:

I noticed and confirmed by experimenting: camera angle affects the angle of the one handed long sword r2 thrust. Looking at the ground thrusts towards the ground, looking up thrusts into the air. Only affects certain attacks; has no effect on the follow up R2.

Also, yes, the Dark Souls Long Sword moveset is back! So stoked; the r2 thrust into r2 slash was badly missed in Dark Souls 2.

Odds are good I'll import in March because I can't wait any longer to see the rest of this game.

Despite my issues with the graphics it is clearly going to be a top title. I do appreciate the fact that we got such an early try at this game, which was likely a build from the summer.

I look forward to the various graphical and gameplay tweaks for the the final build!

Damn it's over and I barely got to play. Rushed through the level to get to the boss and didn't even get to finish that. Didn't try PVP either but its good to here that its not Backstab Souls II.
Man this game's gonna be great. The framerate is OK, but coming out of smooth 60 fps MGSV there's quite a difference.
Can't wait.
Fake edit: I realized I still haven't played Bloodborne. YESSSSS

Also:

I noticed and confirmed by experimenting: camera angle affects the angle of the one handed long sword r2 thrust. Looking at the ground thrusts towards the ground, looking up thrusts into the air. Only affects certain attacks; has no effect on the follow up R2.
Camera angle has always affected attack angles in the souls series, unless ive just been imagining it lol. 99.9% sure i havent been imagining it though.

takriel

lol, nice 20 days later response.

they're ''dead-ends'', so fucking what? New londo ruins is a dead end when you finish the level, tomb of the giants is a dead end! Linear game confirmed! Hemwick isn't even a ''dead-end'' because you can go to a new location from there. (after you find that huge shortcut + some sort of secret area) and if you actually played the game you'd know that there are more than 2 optional areas. if you say that you don't have the freedom of Dark Souls, then, sure, to some extent I can agree, but linear? That's just bullshit. so, yeah, no.

What, yours or mine?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that the optional areas in Bloodborne are great and all, but they are dead-ends. So fucking what you ask? What I wanted was the option to take different paths that let you progress differently for some time. Not just do one area and then come back to the main path. Dark Souls 1 had that, even from the beginning. That's what was missing in Bloodborne for me. Still a superb game, though.

Edit: Sorry for double post!

ps3ud0

Hoping like BB theres another test phase, only got to play on one session and that was only very quickly - so never really explored or met the boss nor bothered to summon/invade.

Damn you Rocket League!

ps3ud0 8)

Oh good, you found it!

Anti-climactic ending for me; died to the boss with one minute left, so I ran around killing hollows to see how many I could get down in what time remained. 14 is a pretty good number I'd say.

Yes, thanks for alerting me to it!
I found those knights with capes surrounding the boss door to be somewhat annoying until I realized that the greatsword knocked their asses down.

Like others, I am lukewarm on the pine resin being of such a limited duration. But no doubt we'll get used to it.

The game itself felt snappy and quick, sort of like Demon's, but it's always hard to say in these builds where you have no control over your equipment and stats and so on.

Anyway I am optimistic, moreso than I was after playing the DS2 network test, even though I did end up satisfied with the final version of that game, too.

Top Bottom