• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Network Stress Test client available to download on NA PSN

Guess I'm doing something else tonight. :(
I don't wanna give up, but I think I'm out of luck too.
Every time I wanted to check my email to see if I got in I just said to myself "I doubt I won" and didn't bother.
I check today and see that I won the lottery... And I wasn't busy yesterday either so I could've played it. Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck.

Sassen

So, did people who were getting the error when entering the code to psn get in? I had the client installed already and cant get into the servers now. wasn't around last night so just wondering.

I had the client from when they accidentally released it and it works for me.

That's not it, you just need to register your PSN ID to get it whitelisted on From's servers. Check the email, there should be instructions. You won't pass for today's session but should work tomorrow.
Yeah I did this. Looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow (I'm busy on sundays though fuck)
Thanks for the help tho

Fhtagn

Anyone else notice there's a grab attack with a non-stupid hit box in this beta? Hallelujah!!!

that's interesting. I'm in the NA beta so I cant check right now, but is the number of estus + ashen estus the same for each character?

I had 10 and 3 as the knight and 6 & 7 as the cleric so I might be on to something... Or not.

Fhtagn

Yeah, I did notice that. No magic Smash Bros. Melee Marth grabbing going on like all the other games.

I got caught by it immediately because it does ignore shields, but once I knew to look for it, I only got caught once more, and I def saw it whiff past me pretty darn close and not vacuum-grab me. Made me very, very happy.

Talonz

I really do hate the framerate of this game. It's pretty jarring after playing Dark Souls 2. It's totally un-needed too. Dark Souls 2 looks great on PS4. DS3 can be toned back and look awesome too. I might wait to pick it up on PC till I can afford a new gaming PC. 60 fps is the best way to play this.

silva1991

My main complaints PVE wise are:

1- most enemies have the same color of the environment even the dragons.

2- I looked around alot and I didn't notice any new areas with different look sadly which probably means it won't have DaS1 world design greatness. :(

pvp from Peev's videos is shaping up to be good.

VGA222

Banned
I wonder if Digital Foundry will do an article on the network test. I would guess not since its under NDA, but enforcement of the NDA seems to be pretty lax considering the youtube videos up on the game.

bigol

2- I looked around alot and I didn't notice any new areas with different look sadly which probably means it won't have DaS1 world design greatness. :(

I remember you couldn't see other areas from undead Burg bonfire in dark souls 1, it was just a burg,like this is. If you looked down you could see the little road that lead to Capra demon, but that's it.

This is just a little section of the area, can't really judge based on that.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member

Ehh it's still in development and this is a stress test. The game reminds you that the test is for multiplayer. I hope that didn't violate NDA.

I think they're hammering the stress test and not "Hey this is a demo". I can bet lots of people ignored sending them feedback because of it. They weren't selling this as a demo or preorder bonus either, so who knows.

This could have been an early build that they used their networking features on to test it. This is what a 1/10 of what the game is? To me, this is what you use to pitch the idea of the game to the publisher.

silva1991

I remember you couldn't see other areas from undead Burg bonfire in dark souls 1, it was just a burg,like this is. If you looked down you could see the little road that lead to Capra demon, but that's it.

This is just a little section of the area, can't really judge based on that.

you're right about the undead burg part.

I will still keep my expectations in check though.

Are the iframes are lenient as in Bloodborne? Or close?

I frames is as good as any Miyazaki game from what I've played.

no DaS2 iframes issues.

Overall i would say it played really well and i really appreciate that we get to try this out months in advance of the full release. I just hope the graphics are polished up a bit.

Positives

Animations
Enemies
Location, although had a strong whiff of bloodborne about it!
Controls - sublime using the ds4
Unexpected scenarios
General gameplay - faster and more fun than dark souls 2, thats for sure!

Negatives

Framerate isn't the best, but even in its current state is acceptable
Graphics - a lot of blurry textures. Not what i expect a ps4 game to do. Some nice effects though...
It felt a little easy to get through areas, but thats a combination of my previous souls experience and the fact that we got good weapons from the off. I would consider myself fairly average in terms of ability.

So, if there was one change i would hope it be that the graphics were improved significantly. Bloodborne looks better imo.

At least the full game won't be looking worse like in dark souls 2! ;)

I hope we get a further beta before christmas.

After two 3 hour sessions, so far I'm liking the PVE, though I feel the backstab is still too easy and efficient against pretty much all mobs. The knights had a shield bash to prevent that, but all you need to do is circle from the sword side instead or just bait and roll stab.

There's not much to be said about the level design since it's a fairly small and linear area, but what I didn't particularly care for is the grey color scheme with little contrast. I felt Bloodborne had that problem too, everything just blends in too much.

There's some lag issues and frame rate issues. I did get an invade of 4v1 on the rooftops with the abyss monster hollow and the fps dropped to slideshow levels. That said I'll be playing on PC.

PVP seemed ok, at least the backstabs seem to work alright so far. Hopefully in the final game you can invade 1v1, because now it's all ganks, 2v1, 3v1, 4v1, 4v2 and the host has a 40% health bonus. Not exactly fair. The only fair fights would be in fight clubs against whites.

Anyone else feel the graphics are a bit average? Blurry textures all over the place, although the scale is great. Plays faster than the previous dark souls games, but feels like bloodborne has infuenced this heavily.

Well it certainly doesn't look as good as the initial screenshots:
image_dark_souls_iii-28577-3267_0003.jpg

Souls has been all about the atmosphere, as always it might not be the prettiest of franchises but damn there hasn't been an entry where I don't get blown away.

That dark souls 2 beta vertical slice looked better than this and that's embarassing. Personally the series should go ps4 exclusive to ensure the graphics are to a high standard.

Ferr986

That dark souls 2 beta vertical slice looked better than this and that's embarassing. Personally the series should go ps4 exclusive to ensure the graphics are to a high standard.

With that reasoning you could say that the series should go PC exclusive if you're that much into graphics. Other than some rough texturing here and there, game looks close to BB, and its still far away from releasing.

Also, that DS2 vertical slice didn't happen for a reason.

Shin-chan

This isn't going to be a popular comment. I don't think the Xbox is holding the game back, it's just From has never been technically proficient. That said, this doesn't look like the jump from Demons Souls to Dark Souls (going from Bloodborne to this). But then Bloodborne was probably given much more care than Demons Souls was back in the day.

I do think Bloodborne has a much more unique art design that stands out more and is just more interesting in general (totally subjective). Then again this is the starting area (I assume anyway). Its no more plain than the Burg or Boletarian Palace, but this is the fourth time we've done this.

Shin-chan

I hope we can make her swords with an L2 AoE move like she has. Or maybe the fire circle with R1 and AoE with R2, while holding L2.

Boss weapons have a lot of potential with this new system so I hope they utilise it fully.

Lanrutcon

Why stop there if you want to ensure the graphics are to a high standard? If you're going to make crazy statements, don't make em half-assed.

convo

It's nice that we can finally throw ps3 and 360 versions of these games into the trash for all eternity. Dark Souls 2 is a 360 game, that's why it was so easy to make scholar a 60 fps port.
Also do people expect a fidelity less than Bloodborne? Get out of pre-school people.

So, basically lets make it a PC exclusive while we're at it then...... seriously, that's easiest the silliest thing I've heard for a while.

Top Bottom