• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls 3 Network Stress Test client available to download on NA PSN

That dark souls 2 beta vertical slice looked better than this and that's embarassing. Personally the series should go ps4 exclusive to ensure the graphics are to a high standard.
Okay, but this is the stupidest shit. If it's not on xbox then there's just a platform without a 900p version. It's not going to make the ps4 version suddenly jump to 4k or some shit.

Despera

Banned
So I PvP'd a bit last night (a lot of fun since everyone are on an equal footing) and it seems that a few hosts are using the first bonfire area as an arena for phantoms to battle it out. Of course there's always that one player who's unable to read the situation and fucks the arrangement up lol

Eusis

That dark souls 2 beta vertical slice looked better than this and that's embarassing. Personally the series should go ps4 exclusive to ensure the graphics are to a high standard.
This isn't the 8-bit through 32-bit days where specializing with one platform really could get better results than hitting multiples. It sounds to me like it's so easy to support all three that you may as well if you don't have a deal keeping it from other platforms and it's not something designed around a unique interface anyway, IE Kinect, KB/M(/Steam Controller), or the DS4's own quirks.

Conezays

Enjoyed playing briefly again last night, but had a hilarious experience.

Two others and I were getting to the boss door when all of a sudden the camera zoomed in on the distance for me. I then proceeded to levitate above the fence near the boss door. My companions and I threw items, rolled around, etc. to no avail; I was stuck hovering in the air. I wish I got a chance to co-op the boss, but it was amusing nonetheless.

This is stupid. By your logic the game should be PC only.

PS the IQ in bloodborne is shit and has serious framerate issues so going ps4 only makes zero sense.

This is the dumbest, saltiest thing I've read today. Not even going to tweet it out because it's too dumb.

The PS4 is dogshit compared to a dedicated GPU on a Mac so why shouldn't it be exclusive to OS X? Oh yeah, because it's equally as dumb.

Tingle

I played this stress test last night, and I loved it. I picked up several weapons along the way, and tested out all of them The dual schmitars seemed really weak to me, I wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to be using them, but I enjoyed the greatsword and spear a lot.

Also, does anybody know what the L2 attack did on the magic staff? It gave me some sort of buff, I'm not sure what it was doing though.

I played this stress test last night, and I loved it. I picked up several weapons along the way, and tested out all of them The dual schmitars seemed really weak to me, I wasn't quite sure how I was supposed to be using them, but I enjoyed the greatsword and spear a lot.

Also, does anybody know what the L2 attack did on the magic staff? It gave me some sort of buff, I'm not sure what it was doing though.
I loved the scimitars. They were super when you wanted to get tore in with 4 other people for DRIZZT MODE.

Jito

Banned
This is pretty great, definitely an improvement over DS2 in atmosphere already.

One thing I'm not liking is the return of instant backstabs, wish they'd used the charge up from BB.

Edit: Holy shit I'm in love, that "thing"!! What in the fuck.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
One thing I'm not liking is the return of instant backstabs, wish they'd used the charge up from BB.

Keeping the Dark Souls-style animations but requiring a charge attack (perhaps with less wind-up time than in Bloodborne) would've been a good compromise, I think.

hm northern warrior is truly the best. love the axe.

anyone know what's up with gold pine resin? why so short? applying is almost instant, maybe they just want to balance it that way. still kinda sucky since you have to select from items.

Santiako

hm northern warrior is truly the best. love the axe.

anyone know what's up with gold pine resin? why so short? applying is almost instant, maybe they just want to balance it that way. still kinda sucky since you have to select from items.

The axe is by far the best weapon of this demo, IMO. It's really fast and strong.

ps3ud0

Enjoying this so far, like the speed increase while keeping it Souls-like. I missed DS2 both last gen and this; with this on the horizon I think Im gonna forget DS2 exists

ps3ud0 8)

I liked the axe too. At first I was using the magic-user, but I just hated the spear.

The axe has a charged R2 attack too, I didn't notice if the other weapons did also? The catalyst also did something when I pressed L2 but only did it by accident in the heat of battle so didn't know what it was (another charge, a buff?)

I had fun with it, but I felt like I'd had enough so didn't keep playing until the end. I still say it looks a bit washed-out. I was paying attention to the look of it a bit more today and I think it as lovely and detailed looking as Bloodborne, but it seems someone turned the contrast down, they need to whack it back up and make it Darker.

Jito

Banned
Wow that boss is really impressive, so many different attacks then it pulls out the second sword. Really liking what I've played so far!

Gbraga

Does anything change in the Dancer battle if you kill her buddy first? Never tried it in that order, but I think I'll do it once.

Game4life

Banned
The Boss fight is another From Software design masterpiece. So unique and visually arresting. Her movements are awesome.

No one does enemy design quite like From. No one.

Shin-chan

Not sure if I'll go back this evening. I've beaten the boss a few times in solo and co-op and I'm already pretty pleased with it. It feels a little pointless at the moment, with no rewards for exploration and combat.

I also don't really have any major issues to report, if that's the purpose of the beta. Other than the frame rate and lag in PvP (though not in co-op) I haven't had any issues. Maybe I'll give the cleric a go, but I never use miracles or sorcery in Souls anyway.

Maybe a little ott before. Scale is magnificent and that boss was brilliant, but could not beat it. Day one and what i really love is how familiar, but fresh it is. Feels a lot more original than dark souls 2!

Finalow

Yeah no, it is pretty linear. Let's take your example with Cathedral Ward. Upon your first arrival there, you can either go to Old Yharnam or use the Emblem to open the big gate. Old Yharnam is a dead-end, so sooner or later you'd find your way back to the big gate. From there on, you can go to Hemwick's or straight to Amelia. Again, Hemwick's is a dead-end. So you got two "optional" areas that result in a dead-end and then proceed to Amelia. After that, it becomes pretty linear again with the Woods, Byrgenwerth, Hidden Village, etc. There's two optional areas with a dead-end, and that's it.

It's not as interconnected as I thought, to be honest. I hope in Dark Souls 3 you'll be able to take different paths at the beginning that don't result in dead-ends, but rather make you progress differently, much like Firelink in Dark Souls 1.
lol, nice 20 days later response.

they're ''dead-ends'', so fucking what? New londo ruins is a dead end when you finish the level, tomb of the giants is a dead end! Linear game confirmed! Hemwick isn't even a ''dead-end'' because you can go to a new location from there. (after you find that huge shortcut + some sort of secret area) and if you actually played the game you'd know that there are more than 2 optional areas. if you say that you don't have the freedom of Dark Souls, then, sure, to some extent I can agree, but linear? That's just bullshit. so, yeah, no.

Finalow

it's just me or backstabbing is pretty hard to do in pvp? You can roll out of it easily. at least, that's what I saw. which is a very good thing if it stays like that.

Top Bottom