• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead Rising Unplayable in SD, No Solution Forthcoming by Chris Kohler

koam

Skilotonn said:

Damage control?

I already thought my last post went over your head, this one just confirms it...

Again, the text problem sucks for SDTV users, and Capcom should've done/should do something about it (and from most of these posts, it's not as bad as the topic makes it), but my point is why buy a HD console when you can't appreciate it on the TV you own? How in the hell is that damage control?

Because some people don't give that much of a shit about graphics? Some people just want to play new games? If you want to apply that logic, why make a HD console when your console can't even play HD movie. Oh snap.

koam said:
I hope you're being sarcastic.
no i'm not. my wife graduated over a year ago, all her friends had laptops and they never left their desks. when i used to visit her friends in halls, i'd walk past room after room with laptops on desks. they're more expensive, almost no one uses them for their portability and they're very theft friendly. desktop pcs are cheaper, more powerful and much less likely to get stolen.

what's to be sarcastic about?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Flo_Evans said:
how bout this: I will send anyone that is unable to play dead rising a perfectly good 15" CRT. I have like 4 of them. You just pay for shipping and buy a VGA cable.
The comical part is that they obviously have a monitor of some sort considering they can post to GAF whenever they please. I sure as hell didn't have an HDTV and spent the better part of half a year with a 360 hooked up to my PC monitor and good times were had by all.

The issue at hand is that Capcom's being lazy and they don't value the costs associated with grabbing the original team to recode/replace the text, create a patch, then go through the process of patch validation and assisting MS with distribution. The catch is that they're willing to spend $3M to further market the game. Hopefully disgruntled fans will keep up the outcry to make this issue noticeable to a majority of game developers out there who hopefully will take a second look to make sure small issues like font size and small details are noticeable on an SDTV. Implementing that is pennies compared to the costs of fixing the issue.

thefro

plagiarize said:
no i'm not. my wife graduated over a year ago, all her friends had laptops and they never left their desks. when i used to visit her friends in halls, i'd walk past room after room with laptops on desks. they're more expensive, almost no one uses them for their portability and they're very theft friendly. desktop pcs are cheaper, more powerful and much less likely to get stolen.

Granted these were the CS/IT students, but I saw a lot of them taking notes with Laptops and surfing the net/playing games during classes last year.

GilloD

Banned
plagiarize said:

Because every now and again it's easier to stick my Powerbook in a bag and take it with me than hoping wherever I get to has a computer. And college is not a great barometer for this kind of thing. Take a walk past any Starbucks or park in a major city; they're PACKED with laptops.

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Rugalz said:
Where do you think the testers sit? In conference room 10 ft away from TV? :p Most testers are probably on not that big of screen but sitting like 1-2 ft in front of it...
I sincerely doubt this wasn't picked up by at least MS Q&A, but if this was developed by Japanese team I can quite picture how the thing went.

Testers found the issue.
Management: "Can you fix it?"
Programmers: "Yes if we can have 3 months to write the SDTV text renderer".
Management: "3 months?"
Programmers: "Current renderer can only render 16x16 pixel text. I hardcoded the x=16, y=16 in 34342 places in our codebase. That takes a lot of time to change."
Management: "Ok **** it."

MS: "This isn't playable on SDTV, fix it."
Management: "We're Capcom, We're Japanese, We make japanese games"
MS: "Right, ship it"

bill0527

koam said:
The other major problem is that HDTVs still aren't ****ing standardized yet. HMDI is still getting revisions, only 5% of sets even support 1080p. I bought my TV about 3 years ago and it doesn't have HDMI because it didn't exist yet.

TV manufacturer's have adopted a new business model since the advent of high defintion. Remember back in the day when TV technology didn't change for about 25 years? Those days are gone. Manufacturers have adopted the PC business model in that they want you to spend a couple of grand every 3-5 years on a new TV and they're trying to accomplish this by making the technology in your TV obselete as fast as possible.

I bought my HDTV in January 2003. Yes just 3 and half years ago. I paid $2200 for it. It is horriby out of date right now. My TV does not have DVI, HDMI, or even 720p. At the time I purchased my TV, 720p was only found on sets that cost $7k or more. DVI was just hitting on the market and was also only found on those top of the line TV sets and HDMI was not even on the drawing board.

The point is, if you're waiting for standards to become finalized, you will be waiting forever.

But the good news is, if you don't want to commit to spending that kind of money, I've found a very nice and affordable solution for everyone. And I do believe that its affordable for anyone who can lay down $400-$600 for a next-gen console.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116010

+

http://www.ebgames.com/product.asp?product_id=802129

or give yourself the full next-gen experience by going widescreen

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824009091

GilloD said:
Because every now and again it's easier to stick my Powerbook in a bag and take it with me than hoping wherever I get to has a computer. And college is not a great barometer for this kind of thing. Take a walk past any Starbucks or park in a major city; they're PACKED with laptops.
not wanting to derail the thread any further... but are you suggesting i base what percentage of people are buying laptops on how many people are using them in areas where normal PCs couldn't be taken to?

that'd be like me saying 'but my local lan cafe is full of desktops with no laptops in sight!'

some people use them properly yes, but i see laptops as like 4x4 cars. people don't buy them because they need them but because they're 'cool'.

since we're talking about being frugal though, if you can afford a 360 and the extra money for a laptop... etc.

alls i know is that theft of such things has risen quite dramatically and that when i was walking around campus i didn't see people using their laptops. if you use your laptop as a laptop and aren't short of money, no reason not to get one.

if you're a poor frugal student and you're only going to leave it on your desk on the other hand...

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
This is bullsh!t. I know that all tv will eventually be HD. But I'm not about to go out a purchase an HDTV just to play a fukkin videogame. Like religion, I hate it when something is shoved down my throat.

Gherkin

Banned
eXxy said:
My parents have an HDTV, I've played my 360 on it; I have a decent-sized TV capable of 480p in my apartment's living room, and I'm not about to start hiding in my room just so I can masturbate to HD-resolutions like the rest of the GAF elite. I realize HD is fantastic, leaps and bounds above SDTV, but nowhere on Dead Rising, nowhere on my 360's box, does it say 'HDTV required for 360 experience' -- 360 is supposed to be the catalyst for moving HDTVs, not making them a requirement to enjoy the experience.

Boo ****ing hoo

221662920_053236bf18_o.jpg

Maybe you should take out a loan poor guy

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
koam said:
Because some people don't give that much of a shit about graphics? Some people just want to play new games? If you want to apply that logic, why make a HD console when your console can't even play HD movie. Oh snap.

I can easily say that if you don't give a shit about graphics, then you shouldn't have made the jump - there are still plenty of current-gen games coming out...

On the other hand, I can also say that there are SDTV's that look just fine with the 360, and even with Dead Rising, with readable text, as I have quite a few friends with 3-4 year old or even newer SDTV's that Dead Rising look fine on, and the text is legible...

My post is mainly for the handful of people whose TV's are so old/bad that they can't read a damn thing in DR - if you could have afforded a 360, raise a bit more and buy a cheap/decent monitor...

And about not being able to play HD movies? What are the Marketplace trailers in then? And I know I can watch movies in 720p with my VGA cable... nevermind the fact that it's actually a console first, and a DVD player like 5th or 6th...

Oh snap indeed.

loosus

Banned
Fafalada said:
Programmers: "Current renderer can only render 16x16 pixel text. I hardcoded the x=16, y=16 in 34342 places in our codebase. That takes a lot of time to change."
Management: "Ok **** it."
:lol

Oldschoolgamer

The physical form of blasphemy
Skilotonn said:
I can easily say that if you don't give a shit about graphics, then you shouldn't have made the jump - there are still plenty of current-gen games coming out...

Not if you're a Xbox or GC only owner...

the wii controller renders most games nearly unplayable but you won't hear our favorite wired-brand nintendo shill remarking on THAT

Fredrik said:
Is it really that big of a problem?

Dead Rising, 480i.
http://img48.imageshack.us/img48/4102/deadrising480inw0.jpg[/IMG]

If the letters are good readable like that, I f***ing laugh at everyone who says that these letters are too small.

I´m doing my research on the weekend.

Drinky Crow said:
the wii controller renders most games nearly unplayable but you won't hear our favorite wired-brand nintendo shill remarking on THAT

It may be hard to believe, but there used to be a time when Drinky's anti-Nintendo trolling was actually sometimes funny. *sigh* Not that I care much for Chris Kohler, but that's not really a subject for this thread (or forum).

Ranger X

I've seen at the job on some 32 inch but in composite and it was unreadable.

Verdict for SDTV users = buy component cables.

hmm i have a 27 inch sdtv using svideo I never noticed any issues (then again I didnt play DR that long till I sent it back)

and I dunno 3 people all crowding around a pc monitor to play a 360 in vga just seems too cumbersome when it you lounge on a couch/chairs to play it on a normal (GASP non HDTV!!11) setup

then again I lol'd at vga dreamcasters back in the day too

i'm only funny when you agree with me, apparently.

fortunately, i always agree with myself; therefore, i am always funny from the only perspective that matters. remember, kids, i ain't here for you!

Ranger X

Drinky Crow said:

fortunately, i always agree with myself; therefore, i am always funny from the only perspective that matters. remember, kids, i ain't here for you!

Nah you're wrong. You are clown and therefore you're supposed to entertain us, period.
Troll Dead Rising please.

Fredrik

Klaxon said:
If the letters are good readable like that, I f***ing laugh at everyone who says that these letters are too small.

I´m doing my research on the weekend.
Well, the letters are definitely small, no question about it, the photo I posted is zoomed up quite a bit, but personally I don't have any problems reading the text. The pic that were posted in the first post is as fake as they get, somone was just trying a bit too hard to get his point across.

deadrising480ifullscreenev0.jpg

Edit: Added a full screen photo, a bit dark but you get the idea.

Well this is exactly what Microsoft needed:

A killer game that alot of 360 owners find to be unplayable and costs 60 bucks.

If MS let this one slip past just to have a holiday hit, they should rethink what they are trying to accomplish. This can't be good for their public image just like really buggy consoles can't be too good for them either.

I wonder why they say a patch isn't feasable. Sounds like crap to me. It is a shame this happens to a good game.

GhaleonEB

Fredrik said:
Well, the letters are definitely small, no question about it, the photo I posted is zoomed up quite a bit, but personally I don't have any problems reading the text. The pic that were posted in the first post is as fake as they get, somone was just trying a bit too hard to get his point across.
That's exactly what it looks like on my TV.

J-Rzez

I went from a 27" SDTV to a 30" HDTV during my Dead Rising time... I was actually a lil' tuff to read the text in the game... After playing it on the widescreen HDTV is was a totally different game... the text wasn't "squished" and blurry... I think the only reason I was able to read the text on my SDTV was that I sit within 5' of my TV's... always have... thus my third arm... or not...

hyp

capcom is working with samsung and sony to help sell HDTVs... viral marketing in dead rising ftw.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Drinky Crow said:

thank you drinky, but your princess is in another castle.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
hyp said:
capcom is working with samsung and sony to help sell HDTVs... viral marketing in dead rising ftw.

a) Capcom should fix it.
b) It is readable on my one SDTV through S-Video (14 inch)
c) Unplayable? WTF kind of exaggeration is that?
d) Capcom should still fix it.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
what a dumb thread, filled with hysterical morons who are completely over-reacting.

Oh wait, I'm on GAF. Par for the course apparently.

hadareud

The Translator
I just tried it on my 4:3 tv, I don't even know how big it is. Probably around 25 inch. The text is small but not unreadable. PAL telivision, scart cable (which is not quite as good as component btw).

I guess this also has something to do with the NTSC standard you americans are using.
Who said that PAL sucks :D

Anyway, the point stands, fix it Capcom

Rummy Bunnz said:
I played the game through component on a 2 year old CRT that's 3 feet away from me and it was ruff. It's nice that some of you had no problems, but suggesting that people should spend a ton of money on a new tv or shut up is pretty juvenile. Unfortunately I see that sort of thing a lot around here - there doesn't seem to be a single microtransaction, buggy game, hardware failure, multiple SKU, or console launch thread that doesn't have some variation of "just shut up and spend more money" posted in it somewhere.

American gamers are predominantly white middle class guys whose hobbies and jobs are all defined by the new stuff = status = good myth. I'd appreciate it if there was less "screw you, poor dudes!" crap on here, but it hardly surprises me....

It is funny to watch how many people on GAF literally cannot process the idea that someone might only have the money to buy a new game console or a TV, or that such a person might possibly deserve to play video games at all.

koam

Skilotonn said:

On the other hand, I can also say that there are SDTV's that look just fine with the 360, and even with Dead Rising, with readable text, as I have quite a few friends with 3-4 year old or even newer SDTV's that Dead Rising look fine on, and the text is legible...

My post is mainly for the handful of people whose TV's are so old/bad that they can't read a damn thing in DR - if you could have afforded a 360, raise a bit more and buy a cheap/decent monitor...

And about not being able to play HD movies? What are the Marketplace trailers in then? And I know I can watch movies in 720p with my VGA cable... nevermind the fact that it's actually a console first, and a DVD player like 5th or 6th...

Oh snap indeed.

Please direct me to a current gen console that allows me to play Dead Rising and Oblivion.

I'm gonna take pics of my TV later and you'll see how awful it is and I have a decent Panasonic SDTV.

As for buying a monitor. No ****ing way. I'm not gonna sit on a computer chair in my room and play on a 19 inch monitor when I can be lying down on a sofa and playing on a bigger screen like I do with my other consoles.

What's the point of having 720p trailers when the default X360 drive doesn't support HD or Bluray movies. And like you said, it's a console first, it's meant to play games, not meant for everyone to upgrade their entire entertainment system just to be able to READ TEXT. The rest of the game is perfectly fine on a SDTV.

LuCkymoON

Banned
Nerevar said:
what a dumb thread, filled with hysterical morons who are completely over-reacting.

Oh wait, I'm on GAF. Par for the course apparently.

Seriously the only people having problems are the ones not using componet on SDTV. Guess what? Its the HiDef era now; atleast keep up with tech and use component over composite. Its included in the box with the 360.

I was able to get through the game just fine on my SDTV.
Of course I sit about three feet away from the screen whenever I play my X360(or any system for that matter).

Guess I'll use that PS3 money to invest into an HDTV. But if I did that I wouldn't be able to go into PS3-related threads and say bad things cause they'd be all like "Yeah that's cause you played the game right? Oh wait you don't have a PS3 you spent all your money on an HDTV and college classes you MORAN!"

bill0527

Dr. Kitty Muffins said:
Well this is exactly what Microsoft needed:

A killer game that alot of 360 owners find to be unplayable and costs 60 bucks.

As linked above, the majority of Xbox 360 owners are not finding it unplayable because the current majority of Xbox 360 owners have a HDTV/VGA solution.

Anyone having his console hooked up with anything less than S-Video needs to get with the times. Seriously.

My feelings exactly. Like I said, I went out to buy a new video card the other day and found out that I can no longer get a decent AGP card because everything has went PCI-E and I'll have to replace my motherboard also. Instead of whining and moaning about it, I just accepted it as progress and decided to wait until I can afford to upgrade the whole thing.

Flo_Evans

koam said:
Please direct me to a current gen console that allows me to play Dead Rising and Oblivion.

I'm gonna take pics of my TV later and you'll see how awful it is and I have a decent Panasonic SDTV.

As for buying a monitor. No ****ing way. I'm not gonna sit on a computer chair in my room and play on a 19 inch monitor when I can be lying down on a sofa and playing on a bigger screen like I do with my other consoles.

What's the point of having 720p trailers when the default X360 drive doesn't support HD or Bluray movies. And like you said, it's a console first, it's meant to play games, not meant for everyone to upgrade their entire entertainment system just to be able to READ TEXT. The rest of the game is perfectly fine on a SDTV.

it sounds like you want to complain more than you want to play the game. Not a single person took me up on my free CRT offer. So they are all going in the dumpster.

hyp

Stinkles said:
a) Capcom should fix it.
b) It is readable on my one SDTV through S-Video (14 inch)
c) Unplayable? WTF kind of exaggeration is that?
d) Capcom should still fix it.

they're doing dead rising fans a disservice by not fixing it. i just played this on my cousin's SDTV last weekend and although i could still read the text, it was inconvenient to say the least. nonetheless, they're going to sell another 500,000 copies and the same complaints will be heard as new SDTV dead rising owners experience this wonderbug.

capcom, do you really want to read another million e-mail complaints? bump the font size 1 or 2 ****ing points already!

Fredrik said:

http://img154.imageshack.us/img154/3546/deadrising480ifullscreenev0.jpg[/IMG]

Edit: Added a full screen photo, a bit dark but you get the idea.

Ok, I think I might have problems reading the names on the right, but as I said, I will check this up all by myself on the weekend.

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
MaestroRyan said:
isn't component mainly only for hdtv?

i've got a 27 inch sdtv, i'm picking up s-video cables. i should be fine.

Yeah, although pretty much all newer SDTVs have a component input. It's only going to be a slight bump in quality from s-video running at 480i, but it's still nice to have the additional input.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
koam said:

So you're telling me that you'd rather sit and stick with graphics that you KNOW look better (you're even playing Oblivion on a bad TV? Damn...) instead of making a little investment to get the true graphics? It's one thing to not be a graphics whore and hate on a game with poor visuals as long as it's fun, but to actually enjoy muddled graphics that don't even let you see what the game really looks like is beyond me... that was no problem with last-gen but to me, it makes no sense for next-gen gaming...

And what does the 360's drive have to do with the high quality of the trailers on Marketplace? That makes no sense, unless we had to buy trailers on a disc and pop it into my 360... which we don't...

And once again, the DR text thing sucks, but man, you're only ruining the games by playing them the way you do...

Oh, and by the way, can your TV even use component cables? Because I'm positive that if you used them, it would make a world of difference if you're not even using them to begin with...

Top Bottom