• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid "Call of Duty Ghosts performs smoothly on Xbox One"

nib95

Banned
1) The premise of the article is weak. He played one multiplayer match.
2) I do not take technical advice from people who can't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p.
3) Anyone who says "solid 60 fps" and Call of Duty is, usually, a momo.

4) I FUCKIN' LOVE PUGS

That, thread derailers, is how you trash a crap article.

Next person to troll the OP with garbage will be banned until Xbox Two comes out.

Lol. And yea, basically the bolded. Plus the fact that we've seen footage of the Xbox One multiplayer, that, isn't exactly smooth....but we shall see.

Zeth

Trust Digital Foundry? lool

That's the beautiful thing about it - could go either way depending on results! See: this thread. I feel like everyone is just grasping at straws since there's an embargo involved, but the game's performance on other platforms leads me to believe the Destructoid comments might be flawed.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm looking at a video of it dropping frames. Like, with my eyes. I am not confident in this player's ability to assess the framerate in 1 match.

I'll just wait for the DF comparison.

eyes30sg2.png

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Gifs of a site with a 30 FPS cap known to introduce stuttering to videos no less!

This doesn't make sense to me. The encode is forcing dropped frames under the exact same situations multiple times? I could believe a stutter here and there but this is replicable.

Krakn3Dfx

Seen the video, seen the Dtoid claims, dunno what to think.

We're not going to have a clear picture of what the hell is going on here until both versions are in the wild IMO. Even then, having played the PC version on an i7 w/ a 4GB GTX770 and 24GB of RAM and watching it stutter like hell, even in the menus...

fuck this game.

FordGTGuy

Banned
It's not like the video the GIF was taken from is any different, so yeah, sure, why not?

The framerate sucks, no need for denial.

It's not really denial, could be different builds or even a different map or gamemode but most of all the writer should have been able to clearly see that kind of drop when looking around and wouldn't have called it "solid".

Are you being serious man?

What's wrong with that observation?

The GIF is clearly showing a framerate drop by quickly looking to the right which would be a pretty common thing to do in this kind of game...

I was first one to post on that article because i'm a Dtoid regular. Kind of feel like I really brought the Resolutiongate issue back into the fold especially for the rest of the site.

I feel like he wasn't reporting well enough anyway. He didn't have a PS4 version for review so it was slanted from the start. It was clearly biased towards the Xbone.

daman824

Trust Digital Foundry? lool
Yep. People love to criticize them but aside from rushed capturing resulting in crushed blacks, they were incredibly objective in their comparison of BF4. I'll wait until the 12th before I make any performance judgement.

nib95

Banned
Gifs of a site with a 30 FPS cap known to introduce stuttering to videos no less! Certainly wouldn't doubt it having issues though given the performance on the PC and PS4.

If you want to play Ghosts at 60 FPS Microsoft has a console for that!

I have a question about the stuttering. Would YT add stuttering to one specific spot over and over again? Notice he pans left and right on top of that bus multiple times, and every time he does it, it slows down. Would a YT encoding error really repeat itself like that, always at that specific point?

Salex_

I don't trust that video or GIF as that is trying to prove that it lags whenever he looks left or right which the article writers should have clearly seen without a problem even in a single match.

Why are you ignoring all video evidence and reports from other people who actually played the game and noticed the frame drops? What's so special about this Destructoid writer?

Seen the video, seen the Dtoid claims, dunno what to think.

We're not going to have a clear picture of what the hell is going on here until both versions are in the wild IMO. Even then, having played the PC version on an i7 w/ a 4GB GTX770 and 24GB of RAM and watching it stutter like hell, even in the menus...

fuck this game.

O_O

This doesn't make sense to me. The encode is forcing dropped frames under the exact same situations multiple times? I could believe a stutter here and there but this is replicable.

Was specifically responding to his broad dismissal of judging by gifs by saying youtube is also known to have issues but as mentioned it seems to happen when movement happens so it's almost certainly an actual issue. At the same time there isn't much movement that I can see while he's still(ie background elements, gun sway) to really tell. Plus from what I listened to the person playing didn't mention the issues and that footage shows clear, game-breaking stuttering so I don't think that could be missed.

Certainly hope all is well!

FordGTGuy

Banned
Why are you ignoring all video evidence and reports from other people who actually played the game and noticed the frame drops? What's so special about this Destructoid writer?

I'm not ignoring the video but I don't think the Destructoid writer would call it solid when such a common movement would cause such a huge framerate drop.

Where are the other impressions of Xbox One gameplay?''

This is a console competition I want both versions to run well.

Alright, I watched the footage. It makes no sense for this game not to be running at a consistent 60 FPS. Jesus.

It is definitely not a pretty game, RYSE shows the Xbox One is capable of much more.

Fracas

#fuckonami
I don't know how much I believe this, given what we've seen from other sources.

As it's been said though, we may not really know until both PS4 and XB1 versions are out to determine any performance issues/advantages.

Krakn3Dfx

I'll take buttery smooth 720p over choppy 1080p any day

Pretty sure you're the only one using the word 'choppy'. There's a pretty wide gap between 'occasional drops in framerate' and 'choppy'.

Also, if Killzone is maintaining a more consistent framerate in 1080p and looking so much better doing it, clearly IW is just fucking up somewhere, probably due to trying to push out 5 versions of the same game and prioritizing the XBox versions more, due to sales expectations.

Also

Contributor

I'll wait to hear from something besides bloggers, given the videos we've seen.

Mr Moose

Okay, so are people not allowed to post game impressions that run contrary to loosely established "facts"? What relevance does the OP's personal bias have to the actual article?The X1 and PS4 versions of the game aren't even out yet, and a GIF posted with no context hardly proves the Destructoid writer wrong.

Wat?

Here's mine:

astraycat

It's weird, but he said it was silky smooth compared to previous gen CoD games. I thought all CoD games on consoles were 60FPS? Isn't it one of CoD's claims to fame?

diamount

Banned
Gifs of a site with a 30 FPS cap known to introduce stuttering to videos no less! Certainly wouldn't doubt it having issues though given the performance on the PC and PS4.

If you want to play Ghosts at 60 FPS Microsoft has a console for that!

Lol, too bad Mattrick is no longer with Microsoft. I can see him saying that.

SRTtoZ

I agree that the premise is kinda weak based on a single match but it's the most we have as far as impressions on Xbox One COD: Ghosts multiplayer. Also I don't think he said he couldn't see the difference as much as the difference didn't really matter to him because he was happy to see it was running smoothly after hearing about framerate issues.

There are 2 videos of XB1 MP footage that both show slowdown. Also, ALL versions, including the 360 version, go below 60 fps at SOME POINT during the game. If it happens more in other versions thats one thing, but people need to stop with the 60 locked CoD stuff which was never true.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
I'm not ignoring the video but I don't think the Destructoid writer would call it solid when such a common movement would cause such a huge framerate drop.

In the same way countless people on this board think all games are "smooth" and don't notice framerate drops.

nib95

Banned

Where are the other impressions of Xbox One gameplay?''

This is a console competition I want both versions to run well.

There's actually a Tweet from a journo who mentions indirectly that the Xbox One version runs worse than the PS4 version, and it would seem corroborated by the video footage we have of the Xbox One version running. I guess we'll know soon enough, but all evidence points to pretty much all versions being poorly optimised.

hawk2025

It's not really denial, could be different builds or even a different map or gamemode but most of all the writer should have been able to clearly see that kind of drop when looking around and wouldn't have called it "solid".

What's wrong with that observation?

The GIF is clearly showing a framerate drop by quickly looking to the right which would be a pretty common thing to do in this kind of game...

The guy couldn't see the difference between 720p and 1080p. Why do you put your trust on him being able to judge framerate drops after one match properly?

I don't quite understand it.

Demon Ice

Banned
I don't trust that video or GIF as that is trying to prove that it lags whenever he looks left or right which the article writers should have clearly seen without a problem even in a single match.

It doesn't lag every time he turns the camera.

It drops frames whenever he pans over an area of the map that has a long view distance and a decent amount of geometry to render.

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
Okay, so are people not allowed to post game impressions that run contrary to loosely established "facts"? What relevance does the OP's personal bias have to the actual article?The X1 and PS4 versions of the game aren't even out yet, and a GIF posted with no context hardly proves the Destructoid writer wrong.

LIES
wsueydC.jpg

Hyunashi

It should be noted that the X1 version runs at a much lower resolution and the X360 version runs smoothly, who knows what's going on at IW.

Yea at the end of the day it just seems like IW had way too much on their plate and not enough time. Saddening for the people that like the series.

Hypron

Rule #1: never listen to a journalist about a game's framerates unless the guy has a proven track record of getting things like that right.

I'll take buttery smooth 720p over choppy 1080p any day

It won't be smooth on Xbox one either in all likelihood.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Then why is it 900p/30fps?

Not really going to derail this thread but have you not seen RYSE? Just go check out the newest 50 mbps footage and you'll have a answer to that question. Resolution isn't a way to determine the overall power of a system it's what it ends up looking like on screen.

It doesn't lag every time he turns the camera.

It drops frames whenever he pans over an area of the map that has a long view distance and a decent amount of geometry to render.

Let's not create excuses for IW and watching those videos I doubt it's too much to render.

Tsundere

Banned

Uhhhh, the only version that didn't launch at the same time as the others is the Xbox One version. Plenty of people have the PS4 version already (including me).

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The digital foundry for this game is going to be hilarious. I expect a rage filled thread and disappointment on every version.

Top Bottom