• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid "Call of Duty Ghosts performs smoothly on Xbox One"

FordGTGuy

Banned
but you can look at a video and make a judgement for yourself. Whereas you have to have faith in the author who wrote the article. You should take both with a grain of salt, but who thing is physical evidence, and the other is an opinion.

I don't have faith in the author at all I just know that they could have been playing different builds and in different circumstances which can change the end result.

Already saw it.

I never said it looked bad. But for an exclusive game that should be taking all the power they can currently squeeze out of the XB1, it SHOULD be 1080p at 60fps.

Maybe they just lowered the resolution and framerate to make it look good, I dunno.

They did run it at 1080p but lowered it to 900p to increase the overall graphical fidelity and the effects on screen. I seriously haven't seen any other gaming coming up doing as much on screen with 50+ soldiers and enemies sharing the same fidelity as the main character and the world explodes around them at a locked 30 fps.

KOMANI

KOMANI
so you have people saying the PS4 has some framerate drops....and people saying it doesnt....

anddddd

we have people saying the Xbone has framerate drops...and people saying it doesnt....

...sounds about right....

no. we're saying BOTH have framerate drops. But some are in denial.

Uh I'm not ignoring it and that evidence proves nothing as it can't prove the Destructoid writer wrong, the only thing that would is actual footage of what he played.

The Youtube footage could easily be a old build, different gamemode or a different map and all three could make a huge difference.

Why do people keep saying this? It apparently runs great on X360 but that's about it.
Old build, why would you think that?
Didn't people say this last time and then change their mind because they didn't trust the DF capture equipment?
Which posters are you talking about?

Sanke__

Did i miss something or has there not been one single report of the the ps4 version not running "smoothly" except during "set pieces" in singleplayer. I feel like im taking crazy pills over here.

Grinchy

Banned
As a guy who loves reading console warz posts, I desperately hope this game runs like crap on PS4 while staying 60fps at all times on Xbone. That would just be such an awesome turn of events. I can't wait for DF analysis.

KOMANI

KOMANI
I don't have faith in the author at all I just know that they could have been playing different builds and in different circumstances which can change the end result.

in that case... we should wait until after the day 1 patch, which is supposed to "fix" certain versions.

Lunzio

Tis a shame that we simply cannot wait to make judgments before the games can actually be put side by side (instead of hearsay by one guy here and there).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Didn't people say this last time and then change their mind because they didn't trust the DF capture equipment?

I'd say wait for anyone who has a better eye for this than someone who doesn't really understand or analyze frame rates consistently enough to have valid opinion on the matter.

Demon Ice

Banned
The Youtube footage could easily be a old build, different gamemode or a different map and all three could make a huge difference.

And in two of those three examples you provided, that would mean the final product does not maintain its framerate.

Also, I'm glad you appreciate the map makes a difference, which makes it odd that you chose to quote an article where the writer admitted to only having played a single round of multiplayer.

daman824

It's funny to see people still choosing a platform for a game that should be off EVERYONE's radar.

Game is garbage and is a step down in every way from the previous entries.
I only buy treyarch iterations of call of duty. They seem to have their act together and the difference between ghosts and black ops 2 is striking. The biggest reason I prefer their games is because their map design in all of their past games actually makes sense and isn't just a huge mess.

unbias

COD is never "smooth"... That said he better be right, because if people buy that game, based on his words, and the game isnt smooth? Ya, he will be an asshole. Hopefully he isn't just getting sucked into the hype, otherwise he just did a big nono as a 3rd party press person, imo.

FordGTGuy

Banned
And in two of those three examples you provided, that would mean the final product does not maintain its framerate.

Also, I'm glad you appreciate the map makes a difference, which makes it odd that you chose to quote an article where the writer admitted to only having played a single round of multiplayer.

Why wouldn't I admit it?

It would only be common sense that what the game is rendering can change the overall performance of how it runs.

The problem is that it doesn't disprove his statements either, we are just going to have to see more of it.

That's the SP. MP is 60fps.

Well I wouldn't compare RYSE singleplayer to Killzone multiplayer, although after seeing footage of both games singleplayer I do think RYSE looks more impressive but Killzone looks great and has better lighting effects. Two completely different games and it's hard to compare them directly with each other.

KOMANI

KOMANI
As a guy who loves reading console warz posts, I desperately hope this game runs like crap on PS4 while staying 60fps at all times on Xbone. That would just be such an awesome turn of events. I can't wait for DF analysis.

"you're a mean one... MR GRINCH"

nib95

Banned
It runs at an unlocked framerate that's capped at 60, but it never stays there.

Erm, so does pretty much every 60fps game on consoles. And according to the devs, it runs at 60fps the vast majority of the time.

I think you're confusing the SP with the MP.

Accident

Think harder! RAGE is locked 60 fps...to the point where it drops res to hold it. Call of Duty is not.

Oops, I never played Rage :p But in my opinion, COD has always had a very solid frame rate online.

Ok.
ibz4KQ3aABtCnT.gif

Somebody needs to find a video encoded by the same user and see if it stutters like that one.

Should be mentioned that most of the frame rate complaints for the PS4 version were SP related, and evidently could be related to a checkpoint/saving bug. Should also be mentioned that we have a video of the Xbox One version's mutiplayer, and there are some heavy frame rate drops in it...

But yea, I guess that DF comparison can't come soon enough!

EDIT: The vid in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teejnxOa9jg&feature=youtu.be

Ahahaha... no... lmao. "smoothly"

Killzone doesn't run at 60fps.

The multiplayer footage I've seen seemed pretty consistent, don't think there's been direct feed single player footage for a while though so who knows. They've said it's 30 FPS uncapped which could be quite bad in practice. They released that forest gamescom trailer in 60 FPS a while back but that was obviously doctored.

Already saw it.

I never said it looked bad. But for an exclusive game that should be taking all the power they can currently squeeze out of the XB1, it SHOULD be 1080p at 60fps.

Maybe they just lowered the resolution and framerate to make it look good, I dunno.

I don't really think there should be any requirement for 60 FPS on a console, although I certainly would have preferred it be 1080P. In any case, I've been the most impressed by Ryse on a graphical level but Killzone is quite pleasant and I'm looking forward to it.

It doesn't compare to games that were released 3 years ago.

What games were you playing 3 years ago? Ghosts does not look poor at the max settings, certainly an unoptimized mess but it has some impressive moments and great texture work. There are certainly much more ambitious, interesting games though. Ghosts is very much stuck in the past from a gameplay perspective.

Atlas157

They did run it at 1080p but lowered it to 900p to increase the overall graphical fidelity and the effects on screen. I seriously haven't seen any other gaming coming up doing as much on screen with 50+ soldiers and enemies sharing the same fidelity as the main character and the world explodes around them at a locked 30 fps.

Crytek must be doing some black magic making it look like that because Dead Rising 3 has the same amount of enemies (or more) on screen, with less detail than Ryse, but running at 720p at 30fps.

Or it could just be Capcpom being shit at optimization.

ClearData

I'm not a developer but I would think that the frame rate drops in COD Ghosts single player on PS4 could be resolved with a post release optimization patch? If the game can run smoothly on the Xbox One I couldn't imagine it is the PS4 hardware that is holding back the game. Some of the reports don't make the distinction that this issue doesn't effect the COD multiplayer on the system, which is odd. Some reports make it seem like it is a general issue pervasive in the entire game.

Metfanant

no. we're saying BOTH have framerate drops. But some are in denial.

i agree...im just saying these are the tidbits we're getting from all our "inside sources" some say this, others say that...

im sure both have very similar framerates just like BF4...and the current gen CoD's....

i will be interested to see a goos framerate analysis...my hunch is (like BF) the PS4 will have a few FPS advantage, but if the Xbone performs better im curious to hear why IW stuck with 1080p on the PS4 instead of 900p...surely if its "mostly" steady at 1080p, 900p could have been nearly locked...

It runs at an unlocked framerate that's capped at 60, but it never stays there.

neither does CoD, or BF, or Forza, or Gran Turismo, or any of the other "60fps" games....Geurilla made a big mistake being honest when they said its 60fps most of the time...should have just said "60fps" like all the other devs and their games that are not locked at 60fps...

FordGTGuy

Banned
Crytek must be doing some black magic making it look like that because Dead Rising 3 has the same amount of enemies (or more) on screen, with less detail than Ryse, but running at 720p at 30fps.

Or it could just be Capcpom being shit at optimization.

RYSE has about 50-100 on screen at once while Dead Rising 3 has thousands.

So when does word get out on Xbone COD single player performance?

Don't see the point of the article if its comparing multiplayer to singleplayer set-pieces.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
The multiplayer footage I've seen seemed pretty consistent, don't think there's been direct feed single player footage for a while though so who knows. They've said it's 30 FPS uncapped which could be quite bad in practice. They released that forest gamescom trailer in 60 FPS a while back but that was obviously doctored.

I don't really think there should be any requirement for 60 FPS on a console, although I certainly would have preferred it be 1080P. In any case, I've been the most impressed by Ryse on a graphical level but Killzone is quite pleasant and I'm looking forward to it.

What games were you playing 3 years ago? Ghosts does not look poor at the max settings, certainly an optimized mess but it has some impressive moments and great texture work. Certainly much more ambitious, interesting games though. Ghosts is very much stuck in the past from a gameplay perspective.
The high bitrate KZ: SF multiplayer footage is what I'm talking about. It does not hold a solid 60.

If the average GAFfer can't tell with KZ then how do we expect a random journo to tell the difference with CoD?

RYSE has about 50-100 on screen at once while Dead Rising 3 has thousands.
Is there any [gameplay] video of this? It's all very well for Capcom to say this. But I don't really think one can even fit 1000 characters into a frame with a typical third person field of view.

FordGTGuy

Banned
So it's Capcpom being shit at optimizations.

Maybe but it's hard to say that RYSE has the same amount going on screen at the same time as DR3. In fact I don't think any next-gen title has anything going on screen at the same time as DR3 with a open world that is eight times the size of DR1&2 combined.

Is there any [gameplay] video of this? It's all very well for Capcom to say this. But I don't really think one can even fit 1000 characters into a frame with a typical third person field of view.

Was a direct quote from the devs that they can put 1000s on screen without a performance hit and there is some footage with a ton of zombies shoulder to shoulder on a long freeway.

IGN said they were playing one time and turned to a alley and the entire alley was shoulder to shoulder and just looked insane.

Atlas157

Maybe but it's hard to say that RYSE has the same amount going on screen at the same time as DR3. In fact I don't think any next-gen title has anything going on screen at the same time as DR3 with a open world that is eight times the size of DR1&2 combined.

What if an indie game can do physics of hundreds of thousands of blocks at the same time?

I think that would be impressive to see.

The high bitrate KZ: SF multiplayer footage is what I'm talking about. It does not hold a solid 60.

If the average GAFfer can't tell with KZ then how do we expect a random journo to tell the difference with CoD?

Seemed pretty steady and free of tearing but perhaps I should take another look.

If nothing else there's a major difference between 60 FPS with some drops when compared to that video features horrendous stuttering. Hard to confuse the two.

Gifs usually have reduced frames or else the file size explodes. And even when none were removed there's no telling if it's slightly sped up or slowed down

Just hoping that we stay with the actual videos when it's about fps and not start throwing gifs around

I'd say the video makes it look way worse, actually.

Top Bottom