• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destructoid "Call of Duty Ghosts performs smoothly on Xbox One"

I'm not a developer but I would think that the frame rate drops in COD Ghosts single player on PS4 could be resolved with a post release optimization patch? If the game can run smoothly on the Xbox One I couldn't imagine it is the PS4 hardware that is holding back the game. Some of the reports don't make the distinction that this issue doesn't effect the COD multiplayer on the system, which is odd. Some reports make it seem like it is a general issue pervasive in the entire game.

There are reported frame rate drops in multiplayer PS4 as well, not just single player.

ClearData

The high bitrate KZ: SF multiplayer footage is what I'm talking about. It does not hold a solid 60.

If the average GAFfer can't tell with KZ then how do we expect a random journo to tell the difference with CoD?

That's quite strange. What I heard was that multiplayer was 60 FPS locked and not variable with single player being a variable 30 to 60 FPS. I'll have to do more research on it I guess. Though I don't really care too much. I have my copy of Killzone SF sitting on my shelf ready to go on the 15th.

Gifs usually have reduced frames or else the file size explodes. And even when none were removed there's no telling if it's slightly sped up or slowed down

Just hoping that we stay with the actual videos when it's about fps and not start throwing gifs around
I believe ElTorro made the gif, based on frame by frame grabs to be representative (although I could be mistaken). I trust in his gif making abilities.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
It looks pretty awful on a PC with all the settings turned up, too.

depends on if one of those settings is 4xSSAA.

the furore over battlefield i can kinda accept. sure it's hypocritical seeing sony types do a 180 turn on arguments they've made against buying a PC for the last few years, but atleast BF4 is a real technical showcase and one of best looking games on any platform, with a scope to match.

this, on the other hand, i don't get. it's a mediocre rehash with clear technical shortcomings that's stumbling over its own sales targets in order to get out in time for launch. it doesn't look particularly good, it doesn't do anything particularly new, it's just become a dumb forum proxy battle over a stinky stretch of bogland that nobody wants to live on anyway.

Where are you getting these figures from? Can you link me to actual gameplay footage of Ryse with 50-100 enemies on screen at once?

The most recent footage has some large crowd scenes with you fighting alongside multiple legionaries(or something of that nature, my Roman history is limited) while there are many others in the background. Would say it's on the lower end of 50-100 but it's still quite nice.

The short clips don't seem to feature the bits I refer to, but it was in the 40 minute stream done earlier today.

I agree that the premise is kinda weak based on a single match but it's the most we have as far as impressions on Xbox One COD: Ghosts multiplayer. Also I don't think he said he couldn't see the difference as much as the difference didn't really matter to him because he was happy to see it was running smoothly after hearing about framerate issues.

I'll take Gerstmann's word over this guy's. Jeff even said that there was draw distance fog and a lower limit on how many bots you can add in the game. I doubt it would be "solid 60" if they needed to cut that many corners.

Prelude.

Well I wouldn't compare RYSE singleplayer to Killzone multiplayer, although after seeing footage of both games singleplayer I do think RYSE looks more impressive but Killzone looks great and has better lighting effects. Two completely different games and it's hard to compare them directly with each other.
Huh? I never even mentioned Ryse. I was just stating that KZ is 60fps.
And surely I wouldn't compare a FPS to Crytek's latest tech demo.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Where are you getting these figures from? Can you link me to actual gameplay footage of Ryse with 50-100 enemies on screen at once?

Watch the newest stream video from Twitch there are easily scenes where it hits over 50 npcs even more so with the cutscene transitions that showed no graphical fidelity change at all.

Huh? I never even mentioned Ryse. I was just stating that KZ is 60fps.
And surely I wouldn't compare a FPS to Crytek's latest tech demo.

Why do you have to call RYSE a tech demo? It looks like a fun hack and slash.

Hip Hop

We have a person that played the game against a Youtube video, I'm not saying Destructoid can't be wrong but the Youtube video is not proper proof as stutter on said videos can be caused by other things.

I only use ones with lotion.
The map that he is on is the most graphics intensive in the game when playing on PC. Everytime you look into that side of the map, it stutters and the frames begin to drop.

Darknight

Obviously one mode compared to another doesn't mean much... Killzone will be running at half the framerate in SP.

If it does turn out the Xbox version performs better, why didn't they cur down the res on PS4? CoD games generally cut the rendering res until they hit performance targets.

You cant be serious? KZSF SP will be unlocked so ranges from 30-60FPS@ 1080p.

Also cant compare modes? Since when did IW say anything about having different resolutions for their SP/MP? Dude just face cold hard facts, even PC Elite dudes are suffering shit frames. What makes you think the Xbone is cleared? LOL

shu_letthemdream.jpeg

You cant be serious? KZSF SP will be unlocked so ranges from 30-60FPS@ 1080p.

Also cant compare modes? Since when did IW say anything about having different resolutions for their SP/MP? Dude just face cold hard facts, even PC Elite dudes are suffering shit frames. What makes you think the Xbone is cleared? LOL

shu_letthemdream.jpeg

It could be so downgraded that it runs without issues! 360 version runs quite well apparently. Very unlikely though.

Hawk269

Should be mentioned that most of the frame rate complaints for the PS4 version were SP related, and evidently could be related to a checkpoint/saving bug. Should also be mentioned that we have a video of the Xbox One version's mutiplayer, and there are some heavy frame rate drops in it...

But yea, I guess that DF comparison can't come soon enough!

EDIT: The vid in question.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=teejnxOa9jg&feature=youtu.be

It amazes me how quick you come in to any Xbox One thread that starts with anything positive to try to disprove it. It may be just me, but it seems like you have a personal agenda to counter any remote positive news in regards to the Xbox One. Again, just may be me that see's it that way.

nib95

Banned
The most recent footage has some large crowd scenes with you fighting alongside multiple legionaries(or something of that nature, my Roman history is limited) while there are many others in the background. Would say it's on the lower end of 50-100 but it's still quite nice.

The short clips don't seem to feature the bits I refer to, but it was in the 40 minute stream done earlier today.

I watched that footage. Not even close to those numbers on screen at once. Maybe 15-25 tops. But most of the characters in the background don't appear to be fully AI and aren't doing anything besides a routine animation over and over.

AND?

Its 60 FPS on every platform.

Even current gen. This is hardly news.

He is saying there was no drops in frames, but some mentioned there was on PS4. Everyone has a different tolerance to this though and some mentioned they didn't even see drips on the PS4 version.

In other words if you want to count frames best to wait for DF's side by side.

Pain

Banned
Are the Sony reports limited to Single Player campaign only so far? Because if not, maybe Sony should have had an engineer on hand at IW during development like Microsoft did.
They did. Mark Rubin confirmed it in the Eurogamer interview.

There are contradicting reports on framer are drops on both consoles. This leads me to believe that these are either rare or unnoticeable to some.

Watch the newest stream video from Twitch there are easily scenes where it hits over 50 npcs even more so with the cutscene transitions that showed no graphical fidelity change at all.

I think what he is saying is that there is never more than 5 or 6 enemies max with any sort of AI that attack the player.

There looks to be dozens and dozens of non-interactive npcs that are running around the map to your point however..

Prelude.

Because from what I'm reading you can proceed one handed mindlessly mashing buttons. When it will come out and if it won't be like that I will consider it an actual game.

I watched that footage. Not even close to those numbers on screen at once. Maybe 15-25 tops. But most of the characters in the background don't appear to be fully AI and aren't doing anything besides a routine animation over and over.

There was the one bit where he was battling the barbarians and the second group of Romans was coming towards you that looked to be quite large. Certainly no where near 100 though and completely incomparable to the scale of Dead Rising 3. And as mentioned they didn't seem to really be fully active.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Kind of an obvious observation, but... if IW have time to fix up the Xbone version from a build they didn't want to show to a smooth final release, why wouldn't they be equally able to tidy-up a small number of frame-drops on the PS4 build they were happy to put out there, in the same time-frame?

On a Titan:

a537o.gif

That's the one :)

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.

And can you link me to a gameplay video of Dead Rising 3 that has two thousand zombies on screen at once?

It ultimately doesn't matter how it runs on Xbox One because we already knows it looks like and/or runs like shit on every other system. It should' be used as a critique of the power of either system and should only be used as evidence of IW's incompetence.

Atlas157

For some reason I just remembered that Planetside 2 has over 2000 players on one giant map.

If you want to play numbers I can play too you know.

It ultimately doesn't matter how it runs on Xbox One because we already knows it looks like and/or runs like shit on every other system. It should' be used as a critique of the power of either system and should only be used as evidence of IW's incompetence.
Right.. I'm sure it doesn't matter at all to the people who are going to be playing the game.

jayu26

Kind of an obvious observation, but... if IW have time to fix up the Xbone version from a build they didn't want to show to a smooth final release, why wouldn't they be equally able to tidy-up a small number of frame-drops on the PS4 build they were happy to put out there, in the same time-frame?

Or how about drop the resolution on PS4...this is kind of perplexing.

The high bitrate KZ: SF multiplayer footage is what I'm talking about. It does not hold a solid 60.

If the average GAFfer can't tell with KZ then how do we expect a random journo to tell the difference with CoD?

Yea, I noticed frame drops as I think he was heading towards some pickup item. It's definitely not a solid 60 in MP, but 30+ and an occasional 40-50+ seems isn't bad either. Game still looks fantastic visually, and it doesn't have bad performance.

Hard do take anyone seriously when they can't tell a game is running at 720p...

Dude, it isn't as easy as you think... Forget the console wars stuff for a moment. It seriously isn't as easy as people think, or as easy you make it sound. Nobody could accurately tell Ryse wasn't 1080p. You would go mad trying to discern that just at a glance. Some think there's nothing about Forza 5 that makes it look particularly higher res than Ryse or certain other games. I had no idea Dead Rising 3 was 720p until they said something. It's a lot harder to tell these things than people appreciate. You put up a range of games in front of people and ask them to guess the resolution, or simply just to give a yes or no on whether this game is running at 720p, and to be prepared to lose some fingers for being wrong, and I guarantee a lot of us would end up on the losing end of that challenge lol.

idk how they fucked this up. It's the same shit they do every year.

Right.. I'm sure it doesn't matter at all to the people who are going to be playing the game.

It meant it doesn't matter as a next-gen penis measuring contest. Obviously people who want to buy it will want to know if they're getting a quality product or just being sold a bill of goods.

Darknight

It could be so downgraded that it runs without issues! 360 version runs quite well apparently. Very unlikely though.

I will say this though that since 360 was lead platform, there may be a chance its the best out of all platforms but Im not sure how well xbone will do.

KOMANI

KOMANI
i agree...im just saying these are the tidbits we're getting from all our "inside sources" some say this, others say that...

im sure both have very similar framerates just like BF4...and the current gen CoD's....

i will be interested to see a goos framerate analysis...my hunch is (like BF) the PS4 will have a few FPS advantage, but if the Xbone performs better im curious to hear why IW stuck with 1080p on the PS4 instead of 900p...surely if its "mostly" steady at 1080p, 900p could have been nearly locked...

neither does CoD, or BF, or Forza, or Gran Turismo, or any of the other "60fps" games....Geurilla made a big mistake being honest when they said its 60fps most of the time...should have just said "60fps" like all the other devs and their games that are not locked at 60fps...

i was thinking that too. I wonder if it's pressure from Sony. There's nothing to back up my thoughts, but it is inconsistent to have one with better resolution and one with a better frame rate (allegedly).

Top Bottom