• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

tuna_love

Banned
You do know that Halo 3 campaign was 30fps right? as was halo 4 as was halo reach. If you think it was jarring and owned that previous halo you didn't need another game to compare it to, you can just compare it like for like to something you've played.
What do you mean?

Mendax

Four months to go. I was hoping for a 900/60 final product, yet it seems the xbone is struggling to allow them even that!

God I hope this gen aint dragged out for another 5 years.

worse; struggling even after cutting splitscreen out

Oh goodie, another thread on Halo 5's resolution that will inevitably last for 50 pages.

People. Please. Please just keep in mind that this is not a final build.

Madness

Considering the degree of compromise 343 have been making with this title solely for the sake of 60fps , anything less than locked 60fps across the board in the final product would be pretty embarassing and would represent a pretty massive failure on their part.

Aside from split screen, what has been compromised? The campaign is supposedly larger than ever, Warzone will have maps 4 times as big as any in the series and will have 12v12 battles, for Arena we're getting things like dynamic spectator modes, etc. Split screen may be a compromise between functionality, but the majority were always going to be playing single screen. Keep on keeping on Percy. I look forward to see if you buy the game at launch with how invested you usually are in the Halo 5 threads.

Pooya

when MS was building xbox one, did they even ask for input from their 'flagship' developer? doesn't look like it...what a mess.

jsnepo

I certainly hope so especially with the lackluster visuals showed at the E3 conference. I'll be in shock if consistent 60fps is not met.

Shin-Ra

One thing not mentioned is in the 60fps B-Roll, this cutscene runs with a mixture of elements at 60 and 30fps adding some credibility to the engine not capping 30fps so easily.

Halo5dr_6030.gif

maxiell

Who bases an article on what the final product might be while using footage from a behind the scenes video?

C'mon now.

This is just disgusting clickbait from DF.

The game is a few months away. It's a major title that has already made some lofty performance claims. It's completely fair to speculate. If you actually read the article, it's overwhelmingly positive as well.

I really disagree with people saying the game looks bad though. The speed of the multiplayer combined with a higher TTK make it a unique product on consoles, and the single player footage looks like a serious upgrade on Halo 4, which was already a visually spectacular game.

Nonsense.

How would it be any different from something like playing two different games that run at different framerate back to back...(for your "that fast part"). Campaign also plays different from multiplayer so it is pretty much like two different games. You don't play campaign over and over everyday for years...you do when when it comes to multiplayer though.

If this game was 30 FPS then by your logic you'd still complain since you could play Halo4 and all other Halo at 60FPS on Xbox One and according to your experience that would be very jarring. I'll repeat again, if Halo 5 becomes your main game you still won't be playing the campaign regularly.

Your reasoning would make sense in a game like Destiny where PvE and PvP are integrated together deeply but not in Halo where both of them will be separated far apart and you actually jump between PvP and PvE constantly and on a regular basis almost everyday.
its different from playing two different games because I'm actually playing the same game. Your logic is really bad, and you're totally misrepresenting what I said and making a lot of assumptions. I'm not saying that this game should be 30fps, it's 60fps or bust for me. Any future halo games which are not running at 60fps will be a disappointment. That really makes a lot of your post kinda pointless and just plain silly.

And it's not like SP and MP are significantly different experiences. They should be and in fact are somewhat similar. That part of your post was also a bit... wrong. Regardless of how much time I spend in single player I still want it to be consistent with the rest of the game. The difference between the way the single player would feel and the multiplayer would feel if they ran at different frame rates would be absurd and jarring. The best example I have is splatoon. The game runs at 60fps everywhere except the city hub which runs at 30. It's a part of the game you spend relatively little time in but when you do go back into the city hub it's a jarring difference moving around, even if it is just for a few seconds to go to the stores or tower. They should have done whatever possible to make that zone run at 60fps because consistency is important. Though at least in Splatoon their excuse is that there is no real gameplay in the hub. Halo wouldn't have that excuse for its campaign.

Ultimately anyone asking for the game to run at anything less than the objectively better 60fps shouldn't be listened to. And luckily for the game's sake they aren't being listened to. I feel that the people asking for stuff like this are the people who will play the campaign like once or twice, play the game for a month, and then move on to the next flavor of the month. Luckily 343 seems to be listening to the people who will likely be playing this game for a long time and intends to stick with 60fps.

I expected Halo5 to be the new visual benchmark on Xbox, but what I've seen so far isn't looking that great and the fact that it scales down to pretty low resolutions and still drops frames is pretty surprising.

Three

What do you mean?
I mean past halos have had 30fps campaign vs 60fps multiplayer, that's a like for like comparison. If jumping between campaign and multi is jarring then you could just say it was jarring in the past games, we don't need to talk about jumping between games really.

tuna_love

Banned
I mean past halos have had 30fps campaign vs 60fps multiplayer, that's a like for like comparison. If jumping between campaign and multi is jarring then you could just say it was jarring in the past games, we don't need to talk about jumping between games really.
Multi was 30fps as well

No. You're wrong. Past Halo games have run at 30fps everywhere.

Leyasu

Banned
I'm kinda with you on that. Actually, if this problem continues into the future (which is likely) it could make Steam Machines much more appealing.

Yep they will look alot more appealing. I knew what i was buying, but damn the xbone is a donkey.

Madness

No they haven't. All games have been 30fps, with Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 even dropping below 25 frames. Some maps in Halo 4 even went under 20 if the action was heavy on a larger map.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
These new generation consoles have far too weak cpu's to be pushing 1080p60 unless it's a remaster of last gen games. Four months from release and they've yet to hit 60fps with low quality smoke effects and such. This game may end up shipping at 900p or locking at 30 frames.

When you don't know what you're talking about you might want to... not talk. CPU power has nothing to do with how many pixels you can shade and push to screen each frame, that's all on the GPU.

Ok, you could use GPU compute to make up for the weak CPU (in some ways), which would leave you with less GPU resources for shading, meaning you might have to lower the resolution, so in that sense I guess you could say that the weak CPU is indirectly causing the lower resolution. But I doubt that was your point...?

Three

TomShoe

Banned
One thing not mentioned is in the 60fps B-Roll, this cutscene runs with a mixture of elements at 60 and 30fps adding some credibility to the engine not capping 30fps so easily.

Halo5dr_6030.gif

I hate to be a downer, but the explosions and particle effects of that ship exploding do not look to good. The explosion has a 'segmented' look, much like they're taking separate smaller explosion effects and layering them on top of each other to deliver something that looks greater. I don't like that 'pop-in' effect it gives off either. The explosion particles are OK, but where the hell is the ship going? It looks like it's falling off the face of the Earth. There aren't nearly enough particles to represent both the ship and the the damaged structure it falls into. With all the sacrifices 343i is making, I sure hope they reach a stable 60 like they're intending.

Halo was never known for graphics

I always believed it was more notable for the striking art-style than for the sharpness of the graphics. Imperfections don't seem to stand out as much when you have all these bright colors in your face.

Halo5dr_6030.gif

They probably decoupled physics refresh rate from rendering framerate.
That is not so uncommon i guess doesn't Forza 6 render mirrors at 30fps
and do physics at 360hz.

Flintty

I'm past caring about performance. 343 shouldn't promise 60fps before they nailed it, that is my only concern: The bullshit spraying from Bonnie's mouth.

Nail the story missions and I will love it like I always do. Just don't treat us like cunts.

Halo was never known for graphics

And I'm quoting thus for bullshit. Halo CE was known for a lot of things and good graphics and lighting was one of those things.

Shin-Ra

I hate to be a downer, but the explosions and particle effects of that ship exploding do not look to good. The explosion has a 'segmented' look, much like they're taking separate smaller explosion effects and layering them on top of each other to deliver something that looks greater. I don't like that 'pop-in' effect it gives off either. The explosion particles are OK, but where the hell is the ship going? It looks like it's falling off the face of the Earth. There aren't nearly enough particles to represent both the ship and the the damaged structure it falls into. With all the sacrifices 343i is making, I sure hope they reach a stable 60 like they're intending.
The 'ship' falling and explosion don't appear to be directly linked unless it's shooting something as it falls. The weirdest looking thing is the tower-piece bouncing and spinning off the huge chunk of stone that lifts up.

edit: unless the stone 'disc' is overhanging and the leg levers it off. The explosion doesn't make sense still without more context.

GnawtyDog

Banned
Article post something perceived as "negative" about resolution: Ding!! Ding!! Ding!!

"I don't care about resolution".

Cmon now....betcha you care about Image Quality. But resolution, nah....specially on native 1080p TVs.

GameSeeker

I would give 343 the same feedback I gave Naughty Dog, make the SP campaign 30fps and the MP 60 fps.

A Halo SP campaign should have some spectacle to it and 30fps would allow them to do that. MP in 60fps preserves the responsiveness for where it's needed most.

Caayn

Explosions have never been 343i's strong suit. In Halo 4 they looked bad as well, especially phantoms blowing up.
Cmon now....betcha you care about Image Quality. But resolution, nah....specially on native 1080p TVs.
What's a "native 1080p" tv?

Seanspeed

Banned
Aside from split screen, what has been compromised? The campaign is supposedly larger than ever, Warzone will have maps 4 times as big as any in the series and will have 12v12 battles, for Arena we're getting things like dynamic spectator modes, etc. Split screen may be a compromise between functionality, but the majority were always going to be playing single screen. Keep on keeping on Percy. I look forward to see if you buy the game at launch with how invested you usually are in the Halo 5 threads.
Haha, well said.

Noobcraft

They probably decoupled physics refresh rate from rendering framerate.
That is not so uncommon i guess doesn't Forza 6 render mirrors at 30fps
and do physics at 360hz.
Forza 5 does, and the reflections on the car body are dynamic depending on load. Lots of games have effects that refresh at a different framerate than the game. Driveclub and Forza Horizon 2 don't refresh environment shadows at 30 fps. Ryse has fire and cloth physics in the environment that don't refresh at 30 fps either.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I like the idea of dynamic resolution, as it most often isn't noticeable, especially when the periods of lower resolution are brief. It is definitely better than framerate drops.

Sub-720p sounds like too much though...

BokehKing

Banned
Where they though?

QaaQer

This will be close enough to "locked" 60 for it not to matter, I don't think there's anything to be worried about. It's their flagship title and that's a specific feature for the new game, the most important one, no way they're going to let that go.

yeah, idk. I'd agree except it seems like MS wont delay anything even if it is broken, and this game at least works.

So even if it could use a few months more baking time to get it to where it needs to be in terms of framerate/visuals, it wont get it.

Top Bottom