• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
After all of the bullshit regarding them taking out LAN and split screen in order to focus and improve performance, for their sake, this game better fucking be rock solid and not have any frame dips whatsoever. Implementing dynamic resolution, for a game that is far from a graphical powerhouse, is just pitiful.

Seriously, unless there are like 30 enemies on screen and five Phantoms blowing up at once, all with proper, real time physics and global illumination, there is no excuse for the frame rate to go down, even for a second.

QaaQer

After all of the bullshit regarding them taking out LAN and split screen in order to focus and improve performance, for their sake, this game better fucking be rock solid and not have any frame dips whatsoever. Implementing dynamic resolution, for a game that is far from a graphical powerhouse, is just pitiful.

Seriously, unless there are like 30 enemies on screen and five Phantoms blowing up at once, all with proper, real time physics and global illumination, there is no excuse for the frame rate to go down, even for a second.

you know this is an x1 game right that absolutely has to ship this christmas? Lack of time + kinda-shitty-for-2015 hardware are pretty good excuses.

DOG3NZAKA

Banned
you know this is an x1 game right that absolutely has to ship this christmas? Lack of time + kinda-shitty-for-2015 hardware are pretty good excuses.

I suppose. But 343 has made numerous claims about how important performance is for Halo 5. With so much talk, they better deliver. Nothing worse than fluctuations in frame rate. I shouldn't see, feel or notice any frame drops if I'm fighting against one guy in a relatively small area. Of course I'll expect a performance hit in a large area with a bunch of shit blowing up and being tossed around.

Kinsella

Banned
If they're going to do 60, it better be a locked 60. If it's going to be 30, make it a locked 30. What saves Destiny is the fact that its core gameplay is rock solid. What ruins the MCC for me is the framerate is supposed to be 60, but it's rarely if ever 60 when I'm fighting. Resolution doesn't mean a thing to me. Framerate is king. Lower the resolution as much as you have to in order to achieve a constant framerate.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
343 are going out of their way to make it impossible for anyone to defend them. Seriously. Its like they're sitting there with a checklist of all the things they can do to get people annoyed and are ensuring they tick them all off.

Angel_DvA

The game isn't really a looker, it should have been locked 60 from the beginning, they have time to fix it even if I doubt they can, 1152x810 is terrible for an exclusive title btw...

lol wow:

75ceafd4a75086913319e3d725dc526e.jpg

It's in fucking development, two weeks before E3 they didn't even had the campaign levels polished enough to be playable. And in two weeks they got that mission up and running "properly". The game is more than 3 months away from launch. If Bungie was able to improve Destiny's res from 900p to 1080 when the game was only 1 month away from release, 343i can do much more.

They can even use the "Day One Patch" thing.

So stop saying stupid things like "game looks horrible boooo". Fallout 4 looked pretty regular, but it's fair since the game is open world and it's reeaaaally big. Map scale in Halo 5 is bigger than ever in the Halo franchise, and that has a cost.

it will probably ship with some weird ass resolution...

as long as they can get it to stay at 60fps most of the time then i wont complain......much.

QaaQer

They've been on this since 2012. How much time would you give them?

dunno. My point was that if the game ships with less then perfect IQ and framerate, I'm not going to automatically blame the devs .

MCC showed that MS doesn't give 2 fucks about product quality when they need to ship a game for marketing purposes. And the fact that these guys are working with 1TF machine in 2015, well they should get leeway because of that imo.

.la1n

I find it very difficult to believe anything 343 says about Halo, especially after the shit show that is Halo Master Chief Collection.

TomShoe

Banned
If they're going to do 60, it better be a locked 60. If it's going to be 30, make it a locked 30. What saves Destiny is the fact that its core gameplay is rock solid. What ruins the MCC for me is the framerate is supposed to be 60, but it's rarely if ever 60 when I'm fighting. Resolution doesn't mean a thing to me. Framerate is king. Lower the resolution as much as you have to in order to achieve a constant framerate.

QjznSLX.jpg

mmmmm, buttery smooth

Madness

Where they though?

Is this even a serious question? They wouldn't cut it unless the people were a minority. Frank did say that the numbers weren't 'trivial' which does imply it's a lot of Halo players that use split screen, but the majority, in 2015 were going to be single screen, if they weren't, they would make split screen a priority if the majority played that way.

ShinAmano

You know...my question is...does Microsoft knowbhow much they ducked up with the xb1 hardware...and next gen will they fix that mistake?

Judging by the betas I've played and footage I've seen they will either drop the res to 900p, not have it locked 60 or delay it until 2016 to work on it more.

Scrabble

I love the realization people have after they've seen a game at 60 frames after having been clamoring for games to be 60 frames. The people that want games to be 60 frames should quite frankly not criticize a games visuals if the game is running at 60 fps. I don't doubt that Halo 5 will be 60 fps or mostly 60 frames when it releases, but people have to understand all things being equal, that decision results in a game looking half as good as it otherwise would have at 30 frames.

I love the realization people have after they've seen a game at 60 frames after having been clamoring for games to be 60 frames. The people that want games to be 60 frames should quite frankly not criticize a games visuals if the game is running at 60 fps. I don't doubt that Halo 5 will be 60 fps or mostly 60 frames when it releases, but people have to understand all things being equal, that decision results in a game looking half as good as it otherwise would have at 30 frames.

Mostly 60 is not good enough for what they are trying to push it as. H5 is attempting to be the big eSports game on XB1. Locked 60 is a must.

madmackem

Wow some of those res numbers are insane tbh, I don't trust 343i I thought they shipped the worst halo in halo 4 and the botch job they did with hmcc where they outsourced patched the thing together I just don't trust them tbh so they have a lot to do to get this in a state where they won't get shot to shit come launch.

Angel_DvA

I 100% agree with you if the game was locked at 60FPS with those visuals but for now it isn't so it's a big NO.

Madness

You know...my question is...does Microsoft knowbhow much they ducked up with the xb1 hardware...and next gen will they fix that mistake?

Yes for sure, Powergate is the RROD situation for the Xbox One.

Doubt it. Let's be realistic. Unless console manufacturers willing to take a hit on their profits, consoles aren't going to keep up with the massive gains of PC. PS4 and Xbox One were underpowered when they were announced.

The question becomes as devs start utilizing what the consoles can give, does it really matter? I mean at the end of the day, we're nerds on a hardcore video game forum. The millions who will buy Halo 5 won't care that such and such resolution is happening, that so and so dropped this many frames. They're not going to spend more on hardware for incremental gains that the majority of consumers may not even notice.

I'm not even sure these guys have another super powerful console generation left in them the way the industry is moving towards cloud storage, streaming, digital etc. 3-4 years is a long way away. Compare what was out in 2005 when Xbox 360 launched in terms of technology, and what was there in 2013 when the new ones launched. Sony is struggling in a lot of their traditional bases, and Microsoft has been left flat footed after Windows 8 and the decline of PC and the rise of iOS and Android on tablets that are slowly replacing laptops. It's why they're pivoting back to PC in a sense. I do think though, Microsoft realizes how quickly the tide can turn if you don't have a clear vision.

Deviousx

Judging by the betas I've played and footage I've seen they will either drop the res to 900p, not have it locked 60 or delay it until 2016 to work on it more.

Negative on the delay part. No doubt 343 would LOVE more time (3 years already seems like enough but I'm no dev though so I wouldn't know lol), but MS will make damn sure this releases in time for the holidays.

Kinsella

Banned
QjznSLX.jpg

mmmmm, buttery smooth

Your snark is wasted on me. I'm someone that used to drop Quake's resolution as low as it'd go to get the best framerate.

As long as it's a constant 60, the graphics become less important. But when you have a game like Tomb Raider DE on PS4 that claims to be a 60 fps version of the game but hardly ever hits it, there's a major problem.

It's in fucking development, two weeks before E3 they didn't even had the campaign levels polished enough to be playable. And in two weeks they got that mission up and running "properly". The game is more than 3 months away from launch. If Bungie was able to improve Destiny's res from 900p to 1080 when the game was only 1 month away from release, 343i can do much more.

They can even use the "Day One Patch" thing.

So stop saying stupid things like "game looks horrible boooo". Fallout 4 looked pretty regular, but it's fair since the game is open world and it's reeaaaally big. Map scale in Halo 5 is bigger than ever in the Halo franchise, and that has a cost.

Uncharted 4 is like 10 months away from release...

Halo 5 is 3 months away, and I don't feel there's anything that justifies this level of performance so close to release.

Fezan

Halo 5 graphically looks very underwhelming. Particles and lightning looked better in halo reach compared to halo 5

As a recall, the beta was 720p and it hit 60 fps without much issue. I would be ok if they just did that if they're not able to hit it at a higher redolution.

Seperate from the games resolution, why is it that in one thread, we don't other talking about web videos because we know theyre blurred and low bitrate, yet in another, we are judging the entire games look and detailing from a youtube video?

I know we don't have any up to date direct feed 1080/60 videos anywhere (you really should get one out there 343i) but you're all talking like these youtube videos are how the game actually looks.

Lemondish

Your snark is wasted on me. I'm someone that used to drop Quake's resolution as low as it'd go to get the best framerate.

As long as it's a constant 60, the graphics become less important. But when you have a game like Tomb Raider DE on PS4 that claims to be a 60 fps version of the game but hardly ever hits it, there's a major problem.

I'm so glad I'm not nearly as sensitive to framerate as you are. I'd swap hobbies.

Madness

Uncharted 4 is like 10 months away from release...

Halo 5 is 3 months away, and I don't feel there's anything that justifies this level of performance so close to release.

Halo 5 is roughly 4 months away from launch, and still hasn't gone gold. Justifies what level of performance? Dynamic scaling and 60fps? I think people have forgotten just how amazing the H5 beta played, almost buttery smooth throughout the whole thing. They could probably easily hit 1920x1080p if they wanted 22-30fps, but they're aiming for 60fps. We're seeing months old builds, months before launch. Let's keep some perspective here, the biggest push will come in the weeks before going gold, and then continuing well upto launch night.

Deviousx

Halo 5 graphically looks very underwhelming. Particles and lightning looked better in halo reach compared to halo 5

Indeed.

Firefight + 3 other players; sit back and watch them particles fly. The particle effects and water in Halo 4 was straight up abysmal. Halo 3 had better looking water.

Madness

Should have stuck with 30fps.

Why? H5 beta game play at 60fps blew the game play of Halo 3, Reach and Halo 4 that struggled to maintain 30. I'm not talking about the style of game play, but how it all felt. Halo Multi-player has never felt better than at 60fps. Give me 60fps over resolution anyday now.

bidguy

Banned
sorry but this game looks exactly like halo 4. nothing i saw impressed me and ive bought every halo game since 2001, every single one had obvious graphical improvements except this one

i hope its gonna look better come november

As a recall, the beta was 720p and it hit 60 fps without much issue. I would be ok if they just did that if they're not able to hit it at a higher redolution.

Jep, the beta was 720p.

What I don't get is why people expect so much from the Xbox 1 we all know the specs.
So why even expect more, might I remind BF4 also ran 720p with a framerate between
40~60 fps. SW:BF3 will also be 720p I guess. The xbox one Is just not strong enough to deliver all 3 of 1080p, 60fps and excellent graphics. Devs have to pick 2 and be happy with
their choices.

The demo wasn't very impressive at all. First, it looked like a straight CoD-esque set-piece demo which made me question why 343 thought it was a good idea showing it off to represent a Halo game. Second, it wasn't particularly graphically great either. Lastly, it showed off none of the things that represent a fantastic Halo campaign (vast spaces with sandboxy battles aka scale).

I have yet to be convinced, even remotely, that 60 FPS in a Halo campaign was a good idea.

BokehKing

Banned
Well then why does Microsoft keep shooting themselves in the foot with their flagship title? Why must it be holiday 2015? Put it out in March when you're not going to get stomped out by every 3rd party title out there. I understand they have this 'last 3 months of the year is all that matters' attitude but C'mon, it's your flagship title, give it all the time you need.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
The 60fps target has really hamstrung them, it's pretty inexplicable why they'd do it unless it was mandated from above.

Top Bottom