• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Can Halo 5 deliver on its 60fps promise?

dEvAnGeL

Halo 5 is roughly 4 months away from launch, and still hasn't gone gold. Justifies what level of performance? Dynamic scaling and 60fps? I think people have forgotten just how amazing the H5 beta played, almost buttery smooth throughout the whole thing. They could probably easily hit 1920x1080p if they wanted 22-30fps, but they're aiming for 60fps. We're seeing months old builds, months before launch. Let's keep some perspective here, the biggest push will come in the weeks before going gold, and then continuing well upto launch night.
don't do this to yourself, sadly MS put the money on the wrong places when they designed the console, this isnt 343i fault but MS, the game wont change much from now till release, sadly, this is what they have to work with and people expecting 343i to pull a miracle are gonna be incredibly disappointed

dEvAnGeL

DF pulling this again lmao. Test the final product instead
is there a clear example of they being wrong with a before and after release? they did it with project cars and had to pull the footage but when the game was release it was pretty much the same result with 1 or 2 frames difference give or take, i just hope the game is good regardless of technical stuff

Angel_DvA

Poor MisterXclown, Dat Secret Sauce still not have arrived on devs hands...

47408197617987660563b3fbcdd9dabc.png

TomShoe

Banned
Well then why does Microsoft keep shooting themselves in the foot with their flagship title? Why must it be holiday 2015? Put it out in March when you're not going to get stomped out by every 3rd party title out there. I understand they have this 'last 3 months of the year is all that matters' attitude but C'mon, it's your flagship title, give it all the time you need.

No way they're going to miss out on that sweet holiday money. Unlike smaller franchises, Halo is probably one that could hold its own against the usual mega-franchises of the holiday season. Chances are, if someone owns an Xbox One, they're probably a Halo fan. That doesn't mean that I support them releasing during holiday, just that they could feasibly do it without losing too much to other games. I just hope they know the Call of Duty from the A studio comes out 10 days after they do. They need a hit with Halo 5.

BokehKing

Banned
No way they're going to miss out on that sweet holiday money. Unlike smaller franchises, Halo is probably one that could hold its own against the usual mega-franchises of the holiday season. Chances are, if someone owns an Xbox One, they're probably a Halo fan. That doesn't mean that I support them releasing during holiday, just that they could feasibly do it without losing too much to other games. I just hope they know the Call of Duty from the A studio comes out 10 days after they do. They need a hit with Halo 5.
COD, then Battlefront, and Destiny before it.... Idk, doesn't sound wise to me.

jiiikoo

Banned
4K?
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.
Ha.
Holy shit.

According to MisterX, MS will ship a couple other 4K titles this year...

But anyways, I hope 343i can improve the image quality before release. The footage that I have seen doesn't look that hot.

Madness

don't do this to yourself, sadly MS put the money on the wrong places when they designed the console, this isnt 343i fault but MS, the game wont change much from now till release, sadly, this is what they have to work with and people expecting 343i to pull a miracle are gonna be incredibly disappointed

Not expecting a miracle. I have a feeling it'll be sub 900p with 60fps for the majority, with dips here and there. The crazy thing is, I'm totally fine with it. I liked the way the beta felt when playing. I absolutely hate ADS and universal sprint, but the gunplay was smooth, it just felt better than any other Halo MP has played and I think the framerate has a lot to do with it.

I'm just saying. This wasn't a beta build with a month till launch. This was a build they were doing for months before E3. The game launches in almost 4 months still and it's still easily 2+ months before it's gold, with development probably continuing well up until launch. The game is only going to look better.

Halo 5 is roughly 4 months away from launch, and still hasn't gone gold. Justifies what level of performance? Dynamic scaling and 60fps? I think people have forgotten just how amazing the H5 beta played, almost buttery smooth throughout the whole thing. They could probably easily hit 1920x1080p if they wanted 22-30fps, but they're aiming for 60fps. We're seeing months old builds, months before launch. Let's keep some perspective here, the biggest push will come in the weeks before going gold, and then continuing well upto launch night.

Its probably just 3 months to go until gold.

That E3 Build wasnt months old. It was just two weeks old.

Majanew

Banned
So in 6 months Halo 5 went from 1280x720 to 1152x810... and the frame-rate drops? LOL

I guess the graphics won't be improving if 343 is trying to increase the resolution and they're already struggling maintaining 60fps. Maybe MS should find another team to handle Halo.

Absolute train wreck. If 1st party devs can't make X1 perform well then no one else will be able to.

It has better rendering specs then BF4, I'm talking about the beta that is.
DICE is one of the better 3rd party devs out there, so why are people expecting a lot more
from 1st party devs.

Is it worth it looking like a 60fps Xbox 360 game and running at 832x810?

For release it should not go to 832x810 I hope, but is that a given?
All I see its a guess from a white board at white board time stamp?

Stacey

Banned
Absolute train wreck. If 1st party devs can't make X1 perform well then no one else will be able to.

I think perform well and look good are two separate entities.

Forza 5 performs amazingly well, but looks average.

Ryse (i know crytek) looks amazing, runs terribly.

Yup. I seriously doubt that 343 hasnt locked down their target Resolution. They will probably use that Dynamic Resolution solution. There would be no point in creating something like this and not using it at the end.

To me, Halo 5 is very disappointing to look at. Yes the gameplay, Story etc will maybe end up fun. But graphicly the game looks very disappointing for a 1st party title.

When i look at a 3rd party game like Battlefront, that looks way better, has way better looking effects, more players and 60fps... i wonder what happened then at 343.
Warzone doesnt look good either.

Welfare

Not true, if 343 wasn't being rushed I'm sure they can work some magic, but you know, holiday 15 or bust

LOL rushed

Other companies are able to release their games just fine in the holiday, and hell, Black Ops 3 is on a 3 year dev cycle and will be launching in holiday 2015. 343 is also on a 3 year dev cycle. If 343 can't accomplish that, that's on them.

Are we going to blame all games that don't meet standards "rushed" now? Load of bull.

Madness

Treyarch only A studio because the real A studio was broken up with the majority leaving and founding Respawn, the team that brought TitanFall and brought the mechanics that every game from Destiny to Halo to Call of Duty seem to be utilizing back to the forefront again. Imagine what they'll do with TitanFall 2 which will probably be full multiplatform release.

COD, then Battlefront, and Destiny before it.... Idk, doesn't sound wise to me.

It's Halo and it's Xbox. Why not earth would anyone buy an Xbox One over PS4 if they weren't going to buy Halo? Destiny sales are at the tail end now, even with Taken King (which I'm buying), Battlefront is going to be huge because it will tie into the Star Wars Episode VII hype, and Call of Duty is Call of Duty.

I'm buying and was more hyped for Battlefront (recent no campaign, janky gameplay notwithstanding), but I'm confident Halo 5 will sell like gangbusters, especially when they bring out the special console. Unlike last year where Assassin's Creed got a solid bundle and Sunset and Advanced Warfare got special bundles, Halo 5 will be THE special bundle as well. Some solid sales or promotions, I can easily see it sell a lot. This holiday was always going to be tough. I bet EA is more worried because they had to have the game out a month before movie. They'd have preferred March like Hartline.

Seanspeed

Banned
You realize this isn't the 1st XB1 game released, right?

Lots of concern trolling in here.....

But yea, I'd like to see them make the necessary compromises to get a reasonably solid 60fps. It will get shit on by certain folks in the DF thread or whatever and it wont get any awards for graphics, but the game will actually be more fun and satisfying to play, which is what is important in the end.

Javin98

Banned
Honestly, I think Halo 5 looks good, but I'm sure many of us were expecting more from it visually. And I know 343i has a few more months of optimization left, but at this point, I'm starting to doubt that they can even hit 900p (or 1080pr) regularly with the dynamic res. I mean, 1152x810 is still pretty far away from 1600x900 in pixels. Furthermore, from DF's video, there were several locations that were struggling to maintain a stable 60FPS.

Majanew

Banned
That resolution explains why the game was plagued by jaggies during the E3 demo. It honestly looked like Halo 4 on 360 just at a higher frame-rate with more aliasing. The hell is going on?

BokehKing

Banned
LOL rushed

Other companies are able to release their games just fine in the holiday, and hell, Black Ops 3 is on a 3 year dev cycle and will be launching in holiday 2015. 343 is also on a 3 year dev cycle. If 343 can't accomplish that, that's on them.

Are we going to blame all games that don't meet standards "rushed" now? Load of bull.
UC4 got pushed back, and that was sony's big title... I rather wait for greatness then be rushed mediocrity

But yea, I'd like to see them make the necessary compromises to get a reasonably solid 60fps. It will get shit on by certain folks in the DF thread or whatever and it wont get any awards for graphics, but the game will actually be more fun and satisfying to play, which is what is important in the end.

For MP sure? But the demo here is of SP. And there are more factors to making a Halo campaign "fun" then simply putting Halo 4 at 60 FPS.

Nothing in the demo shows why 60 FPS was a good target to prioritize over the things, you know, that actually make Halo, Halo.

So in 6 months Halo 5 went from 1280x720 to 1152x810... and the frame-rate drops? LOL

I guess the graphics won't be improving if 343 is trying to increase the resolution and they're already struggling maintaining 60fps. Maybe MS should find another team to handle Halo.

"struggling"

It's a dated build of a game with a few months development time still in it. Stop.

That resolution explains why the game was plagued by jaggies during the E3 demo. It honestly looked like Halo 4 on 360 just at a higher frame-rate with more aliasing. The hell is going on?

The beta suffered from that horrible aliasing too. And the beta wasnt butter smooth like some here are claiming. If you played some strongholds you will know what im talking about.

Majanew

Banned
"struggling"

It's a dated build of a game with a few months development time still in it. Stop.

At a really low resolution. Increasing the resolution means the frame-rate will take another hit.

The beta suffered from that horrible aliasing too. And the beta wasnt butter smooth like some here are claiming. If you played some strongholds you will know what im talking about.

I played the beta. Ran fine for me.

ShamePain

Banned

We're used to 900p by now, but going below 720p and still having framerate dips while having graphics barely better than Halo 4 is pretty embarrassing. I blame Mattrick and kinect of course, X1 devs have been given the short end of the stick this gen.

Welfare

Was it really a full 3 years though? Did they not touch MCC at all, even when it shipped broken as all hell, they didn't have to stop and try to fix it?

2 separate teams. MCC team and Halo 5 team. Frankie and others have said that they couldn't pull resources from Halo 5 to MCC.

Madness

I have a feeling this game is not going to ship at 1080p. They never talk about that, only 60fps.

Was never going to be 1080p. How many shooters do you know that can hit 1080p/60fps on Xbox One? How many do you know that can even achieve that on PS4 easily?

It was always going to be dynamic scaling with the goal to hit 60fps.

Seanspeed

Banned
We're used to 900p by now, but going below 720p and still having framerate dips while having graphics barely better than Halo 4 is pretty embarrassing. I blame Mattrick and kinect of course, X1 devs have been given the short end of the stick this gen.
Not the final product man. "But its only a few months away" - yea, but we don't know how old this build is or anything. There's plenty of time for them to find a balance they're happy with.

If this is how the final game ends up, I'll agree it's embarrassing, but only for 343 studios, as the system has proven it is capable of better.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
If anyone still doubted that the Xbone's hardware isn't significantly weaker than the PS4's hardware, at least here's the proof they wanted, in any case.

Stacey

Banned
Was never going to be 1080p. How many shooters do you know that can hit 1080p/60fps on Xbox One? How many do you know that can even achieve that on PS4 easily?

It was always going to be dynamic scaling with the goal to hit 60fps.

We all know the answer to that. and it certainly looks better than H5

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't know how anyone can seriously expect a locked 60fps. It's not going to happen. I'm sure it's still going to run nicely with dips into the 40s here and there.

If there's one thing 343 has, it's decent artists, so I'm hoping good art design can make up for any technological limitations.

jelly

I don't think special edition consoles sell well or are made in any great numbers.

Halo 5 will do fine but it's nowhere near Halo 3 or even Reach. When your PR for Halo 4 sales is best selling Halo game within respective launch year in the US, you are trying way too hard to make sales sound good. With Star Wars hype, I think the big player base might go elsewhere for a few months.

Top Bottom