• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: Hands-on with 10 Xbox One X games that show us what it's really capable of

Nesther

Kiiiinda itching to get one once I get a 4k TV, just for Sea of Thieves. Seems to be shaping up as a pretty damn competent console.

dcb2821

Just picked up a Pro with a 4k HDR tv and the image quality blew my mind. I have the X on preorder also and cant wait. Its something you have to see in person to appreciate how good it looks

Vamp

I am really excited to see how scorpio will improve 360 games (especially dark souls 1). I have missed a lot of xbox360 games and if scorpio improves the frame rate I might get it.
I already had ps4, so now I am thinking to get an xbox to change a little bit.

FaustusMD

Unconfirmed Member
I am really excited to see how scorpio will improve 360 games (especially dark souls 1). I have missed a lot of xbox360 games and if scorpio improves the frame rate I might get it.
If it helps, the XB1S already offers definitive versions via BC of a lot of last gen games. Really excited to see what the X brings too.

EvB

The OG Xbox One ran it better than 360/PS3 , the S will be a little better again, hopefully the X means it will be a solid 30FPS at all times.

Fredrik

Amazing early reports from DF, Nov 7th can't come soon enough! :D
But it's good that I'll get some time to research what TV to get. It's a jungle. :/

Metfanant

Note that the Pro came in at $100 cheaper and a year earlier. As for trade-offs, I predict the Pro's approach will turn out to be better. This is mostly due to these premium console being mid-gen replacements and not the flagships of a new gen. The XB1X is going to be squeezed on two sides. First it has to make up a year's worth of lost sales. On the other, it will face competition from the PS5 which I suspect will be announced early 2019. That will be only a little more than a year after the XB1X is released. This is why Microsoft will downplay console generations while Sony will play them up.
I agree with you totally...I was just struck by DF making that particular statement, maybe I'm reading between the lines...

BruceCLea

Banned
So pumped. Traded my XBS for a Switch but I have Halo 5, FH3, KI3, GoW4, Ori, MCC all digital. Can't wait to pick up a XBX. Really want to know how Halo 5 looks on the machine and if they've fixed the reduced framerate on enemies that are further away.

XB1X already has so many native 4K games. This is good to see :)

P.S I own a PS4 Pro as well. I am still on the fence over Xbox One X though. I already have a large library of 3rd Party Games on the PS4 Pro so Switching to a different console might be a hassle.

ViciousDS

Banned
I want to see FFXV improvements so bad

I want to know if we finally get the frame pacing issue fixed with the X1X since the original xbox version was the ONLY version with no issues with it.

Hoping for a 4k native resolution for FFXV, can't fucking wait for DF to get their hands on it

scently

I agree with you totally...I was just struck by DF making that particular statement, maybe I'm reading between the lines...

I think you need to realize that the difference between the two systems are more than the flops. Bandwidth plays a role in rendering at UHD. Richard from DF once mentioned it that one of the issues some developers have with the Pro is the lack of equal increase in bandwidth relative to the increase in flops. So that could definitely be an issue.

Why are you shocked? Xbox fans have been downplaying power difference and resolution for the past 4 years...now that Xbox fans have the better console they will play up the power differences, and it will be PS fans turn to downplay...don't make this out to be some sort of Sony fan or GAF phenomenon...it's just simple fanboy logic from both sides of the aisle

Am I shocked? I didn't know I was. Thanks for telling me how I feel.

Did my statement do this? Are you confusing me?

Edit:
I made sure I said "people" and not a specific fanbase because I know that there are individuals on both sides, as well as PC players, that feel that there is no difference.

According to Amazon they've "sold" more preorders for Xbox One X since sunday than they have sold PS4 Pro's in the whole of 2017...
The Pro's sales are being split between two SKUs. Also the XB1X is getting the benefit of the early adopter surge that the Pro got last holiday season and is not being counted.

RootCause

Please, Prey patch.

P.S I own a PS4 Pro as well. I am still on the fence over Xbox One X though. I already have a large library of 3rd Party Games on the PS4 Pro so Switching to a different console might be a hassle.
I have an og ps4, and my approach is to get all future multi tittles on it. Instead of trying to replace everything, which would be pretty crazy imo. :0

But it's definitely tougher to jump from Pro to X1X, than it is going from any of the base systems. :p

Is there a clear answer anywhere of a reason to buy this system if you don't have a 4k TV?

I'm sure there are reasons, I just haven't been keeping track of them.

Metfanant

Is there a clear answer anywhere of a reason to buy this system if you don't have a 4k TV?

games will still look better, likely have more stable framerates, and everything will downsample...you probably wont get quite the same WOW factor as someone with a 4k set...especially because no HDR...but it will still be an improvement

ViciousDS

Banned

Faster load times. The One X HDD is 50% faster than the One S. And the extra 4GB of RAM with the much higher bandwidth, can speed up the loading of assets etc)
Hardware inside the One X provides Anisotropic Filtering (AF) to existing games (makes textures a little clearer). Albert Penello mentions this in an interview with The Know
Existing XB1 games which have dynamic resolution and / or dynamic frame rate will look best and perform best on a One X (edit: i.e. resolution should stay at its maximum and / or frame rate should stay consistent and smooth)
Super sampling is enabled by default on games which target 4k. This means that a 4k game playing on a 1080p TV, will have a better image quality than a native 1080p game on the same TV.
Further visual benefits would include higher quality textures which can be seen further into the distance, longer draw distances for the geometry, and extra effects. This is dependent on what the developer does with their game

Just for basics

obviously i was responding to both posts i quoted, once of which called it "mindblowing"

I didn't comment on the rest of your statement. What you stated about people downplaying the gap between PS4 and Xbox One was correct. We often do this, so satisfy our feelings for said system.

c0de

A lot. First of all, all "old" non patched games will have better texture filtering, for games with framerate or problems way better fps, games with dynamic resolution higher resolution. The same applies to bc games. Also better load times due to the faster CPU, also they will use the additional ram for better load times as it will be used as a cache.
For patched games it's totally up to devs but games running at a higher resolution will automatically downsample to 1080p.

peppers

Super hyped. It's crazy how advanced Quantum Break was tech wise...

MS would be smart to let DF speak for the updated games until the console launches.

Fredrik

Yeah it'll be plenty of double dipping for me too I'm afraid, I went with PS4 as my main console and never thought I'd have to switch mid-gen, but it is what it is and hopefully some of these updated titles are on sale by the time X arrives. Anyhow the preorder is made and even though I started out hating the upgrades I now can't wait to get my hands on the X! :)

The spirit of the OG Xbox returns.

We'll that's just a really perfect way to put it. It does feel like they are trying to harken back to the glory days of the OG Xbox, getting games from that machine by the end of the year is just going to be the icing on the cake!

Seriously can't wait for November and I'll be playing OG Xbox, 360 and 1X games :D

So far there are many more meta comments about negativity than actual negativity. Maybe put the cross down for a bit.

Excited to see more games in the future!

f@luS

More than a member.
What's good is that Xbox one x will mostly have the best multiplat versions, but none of them (pro or Scorpio ) will be "inferior " as in ps360 era or Xbox one /PS4 normal inferior version.

1080p bare minimum means no shitty version. After the bigger the better but everyone should be happy

A lot. First of all, all "old" non patched games will have better texture filtering, for games with framerate or problems way better fps, games with dynamic resolution higher resolution. The same applies to bc games. Also better load times due to the faster CPU, also they will use the additional ram for better load times as it will be used as a cache.
For patched games it's totally up to devs but games running at a higher resolution will automatically downsample to 1080p.
That is not "A lot". If someone doesn't have a 4K TV then they are not a "money is no object" type of person, For them, spending $500 for a marginal improvement in some games has very questionable merit.

thelastword

Banned
DF said:
The roll call of new games is impressive: Gears of War 4, Halo Wars 2, Titanfall 2, Quantum Break, Killer Instinct, Path of Exile, World of Tanks and F1 2017 are joined by Rise of the Tomb Raider
What new games?

In any case, this article reminds me of this one....They got a lot wrong there in contrast to launch day tangibles...Heh, at least we know the XBONEX has some decent GPU power this time around...but then, it's trying to push 4-6 times the pixels of your typical XB1 games, so we shall see how everything pans out on launch day...

It will be interesting to revisit this thread and compare these impressions to actual results shown on launch day......

TheFuzz

As someone who hasn't bought an xbone, I'm correct in assuming the one x will also play the 360 games that are backwards compatible right?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I think you need to realize that the difference between the two systems are more than the flops. Bandwidth plays a role in rendering at UHD. Richard from DF once mentioned it that one of the issues some developers have with the Pro is the lack of equal increase in bandwidth relative to the increase in flops. So that could definitely be an issue.

bandwidth is def a big problem with the Pro...that's why any machine Sony makes will be significantly bandwidth limited unless they wait for next generation memory technologies to become affordable and easier to implement in consoles.

If PS5 for example was 10tflops, it would need around 500GB/s to be enough, and if they aim higher, even faster speeds would be required, which would be very very tricky on standard GDDR5 modules

As someone who hasn't bought an xbone, I'm correct in assuming the one x will also play the 360 games that are backwards compatible right?

Yes it will, with better texture filtering too boot if im not mistaken.
Making the default be 16xAF in texture filtering.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I'm hoping the actual existence of the Xbox One X makes more devs consider being a bit more robust with both their PS4 Pro *and* Xbox One X enhancements by making it more justifiable to pursue, since both the PlayStation and Xbox ecosystems now feature up-specced console SKUs.

I also hope that Microsoft absolutely doubles down and enforces enhancements they've universally promised, such as higher-resolution titles always downsampling for 1080p users -- it's been an awfully perplexing thing seeing devs actually withhold this from users with the PS4 Pro.

So far, so good -- just as promising, if not moreso due to specific call-outs like universal downsampling, than the lead up to the PS4 Pro launch. I just hope that having an Xbox SKU on the market influences more devs to consider taking advantage of more power that perphaps even more users will now have available to them across both platform ecosystems.
Yup. A rising tide lifts all boats. Xbox One X could be a blessing in disguise for Pro owners.

peppers

Gears of War 4 is still 30fps on the X?

Colour me not impressed.

While I agree a 1080p/60 mode would be great, Gears 4 does 4K/30 PLUS graphic improvements. Seems unrealistic to ask for doubling the frame rate and quadrupling the resolution when the CPU is clearly not up to the task...
Its competitive online mode, however, runs at the desired 4K/60.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Yup. A rising tide lifts all boats. Xbox One X could be a blessing in disguise for Pro owners.

Well there are over 300+ games already supporting pro right? Its not as if many devs who have skipped out for their own reasons will be jumping on just because MS does. Those who have already tried to implement patches are generally the ones who want to do that

Colour me not impressed.

Why can't you be impressed with what your given? The GPU(and to a lesser extent RAM) was the focus just like Pro. With Jaguar in there, the CPU gains were always going to be extremely limited despite the upclock.

Nobody should have expected more than that

geordiemp

Colour me not impressed.

We really need Ryzen CPU consoles and soon. 30 is going to stay 30 on most X and Pro offerings iMO.

Have had no interest in Pro checkerboard resolutions most of this year I just look at frame-rate on DF as its all I can make out, so native 4K my TV at 55 inch is not big enough to appreciate. If I had > 65 inch then maybe.

Top Bottom