• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro

geordiemp

So Sony didn't bother to upgrade the one area that the PS4 was extremely deficient in? That's... Exceptionally short-sighted and stupid. Fuck, even Nintendo upgraded the 3DS' CPU considerably for the New 3DS.

There is no mega CPU consoles can use yet only from Intel and thats called a PC IMO

On console we await Ryzen Zen for I5 class or better CPU which can be shrunk down and fit A APU with the monster GPU all on one chip.

Probably not happening even with Scorpio (who knows lol), probably Ps5.

Horizon looks glorious.

I can't wait for it to drop.

Switch coming out and Neir I an going to be struggling for time and money so I may wait bit for Horizon, but its on my must have list.

Floody

The only HUD element I want playing this is the aiming reticle.

I know the HUD is very customizable, so it might be possible. Someone posted a shot of the HUD options in the preview thread awhile ago, I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: looks possible.
3191827-hud.jpg

So Sony didn't bother to upgrade the one area that the PS4 was extremely deficient in and that devs have even said is a massive bottleneck? That's... Exceptionally short-sighted and stupid. Fuck, even Nintendo upgraded the 3DS' CPU considerably for the New 3DS.

Oh well, they can always fix that for the inevitable PS5 rerelease...
Bloody hell.

The difference being the 3DS had a really shitty CPU and their were plenty of options to upgrade it, there aren't plenty of options to upgrade the PS4 CPU.

animanga

Neo Member
As really nice as the game looks, the fact that the Pro version isn't getting a 60FPS option really stings, regardless of how smooth the 30 target is. It's the sort of thing that makes me want to wait until that option becomes available. I can live with 30, I guess, but 60 would be the sort of thing that would seriously tempt me towards trading in my existing PS4 for a Pro to play this game, but I'm gonna wait and see instead.

It really is a crying shame, because I do want to play this game, but the lack of performance options is a massive stumbling block for me.

I don't think 60FPS is needed to enjoy this game as it looks amazing as is. As we have known for a while, PS4 Pro wasn't built around trying to hit 1080p 60FPS as it would have taken a major upgrade to CPU and that might have caused major issues with compatibility and a large increase in console price as well. Uncapped framerate on 1080p will for sure get above 30FPS, it most likely will be largely variable and no where near 60FPS. I suppose they could have done something were they had variable resolution with locked 60FPS but I don't know if it would even be able to do that without going under 720p. Nioh did a good job of doing this but Nioh was able to do it because it was no where near the graphical powerhouse this game is, although I love the game.

Zen Aku

Quick question, GG is going to release a patch with a "performance mode" which I highly doubt it will be a stable 60fps patch for the PRO. Unless there's some blood magic involved.

Most likely it will be an uncapped frame rate.

BUT would it be possible for the game to maintain a stable 60fps on the PRO if they render it in 2k or 1080p instead of checkerboard 4k? And just lets your 4K TV do the upscaling.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Quick question, GG is going to release a patch with a "performance mode" which I highly doubt it will be a stable 60fps patch for the PRO. Unless there's some blood magic involved.

Most likely it will be an uncapped frame rate.

BUT would it be possible for the game to maintain a stable 60fps on the PRO if they render it in 2k or 1080p instead of checkerboard 4k? And just lets your 4K TV do the upscaling.

The performance mode you mention is already going down to 1080p and maximizing bandwidth towards CPU for performance. So no.

How else do you think they would get more performance? They are currently using the bandwidth for higher graphical effects and higher res. With the new mode they are simply transferring that all to the CPU.

So Sony didn't bother to upgrade the one area that the PS4 was extremely deficient in and that devs have even said is a massive bottleneck? That's... Exceptionally short-sighted and stupid. Fuck, even Nintendo upgraded the 3DS' CPU considerably for the New 3DS.

Bloody hell.

There is no CPU on the market from AMD that could do what Sony would have needed and they didn't need it for an iterative console upgrade. They are waiting for PS5 to implement ZEN

Zen Aku

The performance mode you mention is already going down to 1080p and maximizing bandwidth towards CPU for performance. So no.
Oh really? I guess I didn't know what they meant by performance mode. I thought it was just going to be an uncapped 4k mode.

If it's going down to 1080p do you'll think we'll hit 60fps?

NXGamer

How else do you think they would get more performance? They are currently using the bandwidth for higher graphical effects and higher res. With the new mode they are simply transferring that all to the CPU.

There is no CPU on the market from AMD that could do what Sony would have needed and they didn't need it for an iterative console upgrade. They are waiting for PS5 to implement ZEN
The Cpu will not require that much bandwidth, in the PS4 this taps out at 20GB/s and I would not see that increasing hugely in the Pro.

More to the point it would exhausts instructions before it consumed all the bandwidth.

Shin-Ra

I feel like I'm the only one who isn't impressed with this image when viewed full screen ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The picture quality is poor.

It looks like it's gone through the process of

2160c rendered
v
Downscaled to 1080p (1080p display connected)
v
Upscaled to 2160p (2160p screenshot option selected)
v
Low quality JPEG (JPEG screenshot option selected)

Can't wait for the game to drop on Feb 28th. Haven't seen anything much beyond the original E3 2015 demo and a few bits here and there, must try hard to be on media blackout!

dogstar

Banned
The game hasn't quite appealed to me and I'm not sure why. I think I will just buy it anyway and give it a try if not just for the eye candy.

Same here... I love open world/RPG/action games, but there is something about this that is just not connecting sadly. But, I will still buy 'day 1' just for the tech/visuals and hope the rest falls into place once I start playing.

dr_rus

Are you confused about the image?

If that's a direct screenshot then it's rather low quality in general and looks good only when downscaled to 50-25% of the original. The quality is nowhere close to 4K native.

The screen seems to have compression issues. The 4K output on the game is pretty nice all things considered.

This one is a lot better overall although it still looks too soft for a 4K native one. They probably do some advanced postprocessing trying to hide the checkerboarding artifacting.

I'm not getting this game for a quite a long time, then. Probably. I might buy this sooner if there's nothing else that catches my eye and I have cash to spare.

PS4 regular I can understand 30FPS, but with 2.25 the amount of power on the PS4 Pro, I'd expect 60 at the same resolution (though, really, I find "hardware horsepower math" to generally be disingenuous if not outright bullshit, when something is "x times amount of power", that rarely results in the same multiplier in graphical output). Hell, I'm fine with framerate dips now and then as long as 60 is the baseline a good amount of the time, or a visual downgrade for a more consistent framerate - I went 60 for The Last of Us Remastered and never went back.

Bloody hell.

Unfortunately, this isn't a case of having more power to get such a leap in performance.
Like the boost mode in PRO doesn't make 30fps games run at 60 , doing the same here is kinda hard.

Futurematic

They upped the speed a bit. But AMD didn't have anything else Sony could feasibly use. I do wonder if they could have added a third quad Jaguar module though…

Bloody hell.

Upgrading the CPU much further would have been cost-prohibitive. This was always supposed to be a modest upgrade to the launch ps4 that didn't break the bank. Building a machine that spruces up image quality but doesn't necessarily reinvent games is fine for the asking price. Plus, you can bet your ass that 60fps is not the priority for almost all the devs who may have shared their input in the planning phase.

I hate to say it but it's the truth. When PS5 rolls around and you get those massive next gen upgrades, don't expect 60fps to become any more of a target than it is now.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
The Cpu will not require that much bandwidth, in the PS4 this taps out at 20GB/s and I would not see that increasing hugely in the Pro.

More to the point it would exhausts instructions before it consumed all the bandwidth.

That's true, the CPU upclock and CPU in general is not powerful enough to have need for all that bandwidth to begin with.

However they can lower the stress on the machine severely by lowing resource management elsewhere, which is why i am assuming they are reducing the res for this(while keeping the added graphical effects over base PS4?)

Even more hype for Death Stranding, with that Decima engine. Horizon looks amazing. Putting it on hold for Breath of the Wild, but will absolutely pick it up soon after.

If that's a direct screenshot then it's rather low quality in general and looks good only when downscaled to 50-25% of the original. The quality is nowhere close to 4K native.

This one is a lot better overall although it still looks too soft for a 4K native one. They probably do some advanced postprocessing trying to hide the checkerboarding artifacting.

According to John, when played on an actual 4K television the image quality is incredible on the PS4 Pro.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Witcher 3 runs good on consoles? Haha what? The graphics aren't even good and it doesn't come close to holding 30fps.

It's great on PC, but the PS4 version had me questioning why everyone was enjoying such an ugly, poorly controlling game.

The game had some serious issues on release but they have done some tremendous work on it post launch and the game runs much much better now and the two expansion packs look even better.

Con Con

Shadow Fall was a stunner, I'm glad they get to show off how much they've learned since then. I've never been so broke in February!

The game had some serious issues on release but they have done some tremendous work on it post launch and the game runs much much better now and the two expansion packs look even better.

Yeah, Blood and Wine is the one where the real improvements show. The last battle was also brutal and epic.

reKon

Banned
PS5 versions of this, Uncharted 4, Bloodborne, and TLoU games are going to be sure something. 4K at 60 FPS!

Olimar

Neo Member
Very excited about this game. Glad to see GG flourish after making the same game for ten years.

As an aside, I hope that this game has that same "quick load" that they touted so much on KZ: Shadowfall, in that the start game to main menu was less than 10 seconds. More games should do that but all the developers need to slap their name all over games instead of focusing on the game itself.

Waiting for the game to load while it shows all of it's logos and licensed technologies is something I'd like to see gone in gaming. Very annoying time waste.

wait til you guys play with photomode btw.

The way it's all in engine and so smooth how it transitions from day to night (with the clock slider) and the lighting effects on the monster. Guerilla are fucking tech gurus and the game looks amazinggg

k3LWfM0.jpg

k70Qr7F.jpg

Lense Flares will come in and become more pronounced and if they have lit elements on their body, it becomes lit normally like metal in the day.

bUh6xri.jpg

T08N2Uk.jpg

Top Bottom