• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro

iTehDroiD

Neo Member
Only thing that irks me is the water in this game and grass not physically bending by your character. That DF vid showed swimming in the water and it looked like paper. It doesn't even create ripples or splashes when you swim. Looks very dated wish they could improve that

Yea I guess having all the grass react to Aloy would put even more pressure on both CPU and GPU. Since some grass already reacts to her I assume they decided to limit the feature to specific grass types only for performance reasons.

The water though has already been been a weak point of their engine in Killzone: Shadow Fall. Every game nowadays has some sort of waves produced by the character while swimming. They definetly need to implement better water physics for the sequel (and Death Stranding). Thats really the only complaint I have from a technical standpoint (and maybe the facial animations).

Ken Adams

Guys i dont wanna be that guy but how spoilerific is the DF video, Usually love their work but i dont wanna be spoiled on new environments.

Mikey Jr.

Guys i dont wanna be that guy but how spoilerific is the DF video, Usually love their work but i dont wanna be spoiled on new environments.

Don't watch it then.

It runs at 30fps nearly 99% of the time on pro and standard.

That's all you need to know.

Ploid 3.0

I think Naughty Dog has been unseated.

If so, it's about time. I think that CG trailer of KZ2 was the best thing to happen got Guerrilla Games. Now ND has fire put under their seats. Wonder if Wit.. CD Projekt Red new game will look insane too.

Edit: Wow just saw some videos. This Saturday spent most of the day going through the Skyrim S.T.E.P. process and modded the crap out of my game to see how it would run on my new hardware. It looks and runs incredibly, but this is making me think I did all that for nothing. Hopefully gameplay mods will at least make Skyrim feel great. Modded Skyrim with a balanced ENB like Realvision does run at 60fps at the least.

eshwaaz

Thanks mate for the video (you guys are on quite a roll recently). Did you notice any difference in LoD transitions between the Pro and Base?
I'd like to know this as well. Jarring LOD transitions are incredibly distracting to me.

spannicus

If so, it's about time. I think that CG trailer of KZ2 was the best thing to happen got Guerrilla Games. Now ND has fire put under their seats. Wonder if Wit.. CD Projekt Red new game will look insane too.

Crazy locations and neon lights. Whew i bet its gonna be nuts!

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
i'm happy with that performance! i was worried that the standard ps4 might have much worse framerate drops but nope very similar to the pro which is maybe ever so slightly smoother nothing crazy.

for me framerate > resolution. glad i didn't waste £350 on the pro. also i didn't realise just how good looking this game is. i'm really excited for it buy it'll need to wait until i'm done with Zelda on the switch.

For an open world game that looks this good, a near solid 30fps with only minor 1-2fps drops is really impressive, especially on base PS4. The Decima engine is an awesome engine, no wonder Kojima picked it for Death Stranding.

V1ctIm

Neo Member
Sounds astounding. Won't be getting a Pro until RDR2 probably, so it's great to hear base PS4 performance is so good. I wish I had 4 days off NEXT week instead of this week. :(

For an open world game that looks this good, a near solid 30fps with only minor 1-2fps drops is really impressive, especially on base PS4. The Decima engine is an awesome engine, no wonder Kojima picked it for Death Stranding.

I never thought about it before, but I guess it bodes well for people (like me) who want Kojima to carry on with the Phantom Pain open world playbook.

Arttemis

This downsamples right?

The most important question.

If yes, great!

If no, then what the hell. Sony removed it from Last of Us, and it's absent in Rocket League. The only redemption I would see is that they're planning on implementing a system-level option to downsample 4K output of Pro mode to 1080p resolutions.

Ploid 3.0

Crazy locations and neon lights. Whew i bet its gonna be nuts!

Yep, it is. Watching some new videos of Horizon from this thread, the holograms and lights stand out very well. CD Projekt's game will surely floor people with it's colors. Good times ahead.

AU Tiger

The video mentions an upcoming performance patch for the pro. What are the odds of it being a 1080p/60 patch?

I dont have a 4k tv or receiver so I'd gladly take a higher frame rate if the pro can pull that off.

icespide

Banned
The video mentions an upcoming performance patch for the pro. What are the odds of it being a 1080p/60 patch?

I dont have a 4k tv or receiver so I'd gladly take a higher frame rate if the pro can pull that off.
it won't be 60fps. it'll be an option to prefer more stable frame rates over resolution

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Do we know if Death Stranding is still coming to PC? Always wanted to know what one of Sony's engines could do on a very high end PC. Gonna look amazing regardless ofcourse.

I believe it still is, or least they haven't said anything to the contrary that I can think of. I agree it would be interesting to see what the engine could do with some crazy hardware backing it. And mods of course would be something impressive to see.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
So do we know any ps4 pro improvements for 1080p?

Sounds like perhaps its the same as regular ps4

Downsampling from 4K, improved AF, and textures.

They will be adding a mode that unlocks the framerate if you want to run it at 1080p with added performance.

spannicus

Do we know if Death Stranding is still coming to PC? Always wanted to know what one of Sony's engines could do on a very high end PC. Gonna look amazing regardless ofcourse.

Knowing Sony, you may not hear about the PC version for quite sometime.

I never thought about it before, but I guess it bodes well for people (like me) who want Kojima to carry on with the Phantom Pain open world playbook.

Yeah, I'm sure Kojima will take full advantage of this impressive engine and give us an awesome looking game, and excellent gameplay like MGS 5 offered, hopefully with a little more focus on story too though, as that was my only issue with MGS 5.

Hanmik

So do we know any ps4 pro improvements for 1080p?

Sounds like perhaps its the same as regular ps4

it looks more crisp.. it is downsampled.. some better textures.. the drawdistance looks a bit better (might just be because of the added pixels)..

and this might just be me.. but I thought there was a bit less pop-in on my Pro.. but that could just be me overthinking stuff. have played 10+ hours on both versions.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Watched the video and it said full 4k but said it took advantage of checker boarding . So is it native 2160 or upscaled? Maybe I heard wrong
It's 2160cp - which means it's not technically native 4K, rather, it uses checkerboarding to get there. Pixel counts come in at full 4K, though.

They use a strong anti-aliasing to avoid some of the motion artefacts that you can get with checkerboarding so it's a slightly softer but very very clean looking game. Image quality is excellent.

Jacob4815

Gorgeous game. I would love to see some close ups of shadow quality, filtering and motion blur and whatnot

Roboplato, you got my back :)

Frostman

I am so stuck as far as monitors go. I would love to upgrade to a 4K monitor to take advantage of this, but I also would really like HDR. I just cannot afford a monitor that covers both at this point in time.

I might end up staying at 1080p and upgrading to 4K and HDR when they become more affordable.

ISee

It's 2160cp - which means it's not technically native 4K, rather, it uses checkerboarding to get there. Pixel counts come in at full 4K, though.

They use a strong anti-aliasing to avoid some of the motion artefacts that you can get with checkerboarding so it's a slightly softer but very very clean looking game. Image quality is excellent.

How does downsampling to 1080p work here? IQ and sharpness seems to be fantastic on 1080p (pro) Screenshots but at what resolution is it rendering internally? It's not that important, i'm just curious.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
How does downsampling to 1080p work? IQ and sharpness seems to be fantastic on 1080p (pro) Screenshots but at what resolution is it rendering internally? It's not that important, i'm just curious.
The final pixel count, internally, should still be 2160p. The pixels are all there, they simply aren't created in the same way.

Yeah, I'm sure Kojima will take full advantage of this impressive engine and give us an awesome looking game, and excellent gameplay like MGS 5 offered, hopefully with a little more focus on story too though, as that was my only issue with MGS 5.

It's funny how a guy primarily known for making movies interrupted by gameplay knocked it out the park with a game primarily based on emergent fun. I can't wait to see some Death Stranding gameplay :)

Top Bottom