• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
?? SSM can top this easy and UC4 is still a visual masterpiece.

Top this easy? Let's not get carried away here.

Killzone Shadowfall still holds up amazingly well and it's a launch game.

UC4 is indeed a masterpiece, but being better looking than Horizon won't be such a trivial task, do anyone, even SSM.

Shadowfall
Drive Club
The Order 1886
Uncharted 4
Battlefront/BF1
The Division
Until Dawn
Horizon: Zero Dawn

All the absolute top best looking titles out there.

God of War and The Last of Us 2 are the only thing I see coming close as far as announced titles. (Well Cyberpunk 2077, but who knows if that's even a current gen game)

Chamber

love on your sleeve
Yeah, I totally agree. Maybe the scaler in my KS8000 is next-level, but i generally think 1080p content still looks great on the 4k panel.

It's not all about the scaler. 1080p is still a good pixel density for TV's up to 65", especially considering how far most people sit from their TV (way further than recommended). Anything between 1080p and 2160p looks great on a 4K screen because of pixel density.

720p looks soft because that's a resolution more fit for a 27" TV rather than the 50+ inch that most have in their living room.

Arondight

Horizon is like one of the few games released so far which had initially impressed me with it's first revealing but actually managed to follow through with what they showed. I can't think of any other game which did the same.

It's incredible how they went from a linear FPS game to Open world while looking better.

?? SSM can top this easy and UC4 is still a visual masterpiece.

I don't know what exactly prevents you from reading anything on this board without feeling threatened and going into defense mode, but go back and re-read what I posted.

I said that now that the bar on PS4 Pro versions has been lifted, it's a good time to invest because I can't see Sony 1st parties under-delivering now that GG has stepped the game up.

Step up ya reading comprehension game b

Caayn

As expected of Guerilla, great performance outside of the house of doom. Wonder how close they can get to 60fps with the performance patch. Looking forward to that and a more in-depth video on the graphics.

reKon

Banned
I'll get some soon but here's a couple random caps of the motion blur

SAnc.jpg

RAnc.jpg

hngggg

Head.spawn

That is some impressive shit right there. All the amazing quality graphics and a super smooth gameplay experience to boot, GG has put in the work. So glad they've moved on from Killzone, this is a much better direction from the sounds of it.

Hats off.

My self-allotted video game funds went to really good causes recently and I won't regret that, but I'd be preordering right now if it wasn't.
Those saying Nd dethroned, the Sony hierarchy since last gen has been:

SSM
Guerilla Games
Naughty Dog

This is par for the course, although I will be impressed if Horizon can top Madagascar im U4 (media blackout).

GoW4 is going to slay, hold on to your butts.

Agreed. SSM is da best.

Eliciel

Oh lawd this game ..

Full 2160p via CB ?
No frame pacing, tearing or any visual blemishes ?
John stating this being the best Pro upgraded game yet ?
Performance patch for even smoother frame rates coming soon ?
No performance drops during world travel and combat ?

tumblr_mln7p8aJNO1qfa9ryo1_400.gif

giphy.gif

Who is the woman in the top ? For research and archiving reasons only.

The IQ in 4k, as shown in screens, looks noticibly better to me than most other games running on PRO. Like I know this isn't native 4k, but the impact it is pretty much there. It looks much higher fidelity than 1080 for instance. I am happy with this.*

*Only have a 1080p projector for my pro...

HeelPower

This game has not been downgraded and delivered on ridiculous promise of visuals.

I never believed for once the game would end up really looking the way they showcased it.

What a feat!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Oh sorry, missed your comment earlier. To make up for it, here's a shot captured using 1080p output. Yes, it's downsampled.

IAnc.jpg

So when someone (watching streams apparently) said in the impressions thread that you "couldn't see more than 3 feet" in front of you, was that in Super Kaiju measurements or our normal one? :p

If we're comparing the PC version it comes out on top easily. Apples to oranges.

People gotta chill out with the circlejerking in here.

Nope, sorry. Have spent several hours in the PC version and I believe it falls short of the Horizon footage I'm seeing.

I don't know what exactly prevents you from reading anything on this board without feeling threatened and going into defense mode, but go back and re-read what I posted.

I said that now that the bar on PS4 Pro versions has been lifted, it's a good time to invest because I can't see Sony 1st parties under-delivering now that GG has stepped the game up.

Step up ya reading comprehension game b

Defense mode? LMAO, because I think SSM and ND can challenge GG for visuals, I am not the one who runs to defense mode...

If we're comparing the PC version it comes out on top easily. Apples to oranges.

People gotta chill out with the circlejerking in here.

Aren't we lucky you are here to stop all this positivity.

dr_rus

Nonsense, if it was that easy all devs would do it, I'll defer to Digital Foundry over you. What knowledge of the tech and engines do you have other then "her der 30 fps"?

You're the second person who describe reaching stable 30 fps as something which is "not easy" and I honestly don't know what the fuck does that even mean. You can "easily" reach 5000 fps on the modern console h/w, what matters is what framerate target a game have during the development. If a game misses that framerate target then the developers fucked up, no excuses, no amount of open worldness or effects can justify this since they missed the target they've set themselves. And no, there's nothing inherently "difficult" to achieve 30 fps in an open world game, it's just a question of proper load balancing.

You're the second person who describe reaching stable 30 fps as something which is "not easy" and I honestly don't know what the fuck does that even mean. You can "easily" reach 5000 fps on the modern console h/w, what matters is what framerate target a game have during the development. If a game misses that framerate target then the developers fucked up, no excuses, no amount of open worldness or effects can justify this since they missed the target they've set themselves. And no, there's nothing inherently "difficult" to achieve 30 fps in an open world game, it's just a question of proper load balancing.

So you have worked on large complex world games and know this I am assuming? Games that look as good as Horizon , it is not the norm, we have a gen full of games struggling to hit 30 for a reason, devs aren;t lazy. So the evidence doesn't support your assertions.

LastChance2Frag

Neo Member
Interesting seeing DF have such praise for the tech side but after reading the eurogamer review overall comes off a bit meh. Will definitely get it as I really like GG from killzone 2 and the world they created with that.

Unknown?

The IQ in 4k, as shown in screens, looks noticibly better to me than most other games running on PRO. Like I know this isn't native 4k, but the impact it is pretty much there. It looks much higher fidelity than 1080 for instance. I am happy with this.*

*Only have a 1080p projector for my pro...
2160 checkerboard is pretty close to how native would look anyway. You'd only be able to see a difference if up close, side by side, and have a trained eye.

gossi

You can "easily" reach 5000 fps on the modern console h/w

You cannot output at 5000fps on modern consoles. HDMI doesn't support anywhere near that. Like at all, in any league.

Getting to 30fps in open world is a huge design and technical challenge. Source: actually coding.

Marmelade

So you have worked on large complex world games and know this I am assuming? Games that look as good as Horizon , it is not the norm, we have a gen full of games struggling to hit 30 for a reason, devs aren;t lazy. So the evidence doesn't support your assertions.

All he's saying is that 30fps games shouldn't go below that mark
If you struggle to hit 30 then disable some effects or whatever it is that makes you drop frames until you do
Basically, don't go over budget "for the pretty"
And, obviously, that's not the way most devs operate

mileS

Pro owner here but I have to say I'm happy regular PS4 users get a beautiful game with barely any performance or resolution scaling issues. That seemed like it was always a big concern.

Lom1lo

Well I have no ps4, is there anywhere lossless footage to download (pro version)? I would like to see this game in its full glory.

dr_rus

Did you? Or maybe anyone from DF did? Why are we talking about this? Why are you talking about some "lazy devs"? Do you even understand what I'm saying? That praising a console game for a fact that it manages to hold locked 30 fps 99.9% of the time is rather strange since you'd expect that 99.9% of console games would do this by default.

It's not a jab at Horizon or DF or "lazy devs", it's just a fact which seems weird to me. I don't know why we have so many games which struggle to keep it at steady 33.3ms - hell, there's an example of FFXV latest patch where keeping it steady have nothing to do even with the quality of graphics. It just feels like the platform holders QA should probably be better? Or maybe some devs really need to educate themselves on how modern GPUs and multicore CPUs work?

But again, there nothing "difficult" in having a locked 30 fps in any console game. If a game can't handle this then it's an issue of the development team which they should really take care of via patches or at least in their next project - which again is not the case quite often (BB->DS3 stuttering?) which makes this whole situation even more bizarre.

You cannot output at 5000fps on modern consoles. HDMI doesn't support anywhere near that. Like at all, in any league.

Getting to 30fps in open world is a huge design and technical challenge. Source: actually coding.

You can output 5000 fps, you can't present them. Source: actually knowing what I'm talking about.

Did you actually read what he said or just instantly go into defence mode for no real reason?

Yes I did, what was I in defense mode about? All I said was that ND and SSM certainly could, doesn;t mean they will, you guys are awful quick to go into attack over every little thing.

Not watching as I'm avoiding spoilers of any kind right now, but if DF is calling this game a technical masterpiece, consider me sold three times over.

Top Bottom