• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF - Horizon is a technical masterpiece on PS4 and Pro

Those saying Nd dethroned, the Sony hierarchy since last gen has been:

SSM
Guerilla Games
Naughty Dog

This is par for the course, although I will be impressed if Horizon can top Madagascar im U4 (media blackout).

GoW4 is going to slay, hold on to your butts.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Hey Dark, is there a reason why I can never seem to select 1440p on DF's Youtube videos? Other channels it shows up just fine but never for DF.

reKon

Banned
it won't be 60fps. it'll be an option to prefer more stable frame rates over resolution

from that DF video it seems that it's already extremely stable at 4K with just a few dropped frames duringintense battles so this performance mode would be very pointless. If they were actually going to do something worthwhile, they should set it to 720P (I know, unheard of) and aim for 60 FPS.

icespide

Banned
from that DF video it seems that it's already extremely stable at 4K with just a few dropped frames doing intense basttles so this performance mode would be extreme pointless. If they were actually going to do something worthwhile, they should set it to 720P (I know, unheard of) and aim for 60 FPS.
yeah I'm curious what this mode actually is. I would be shocked if it's a high frame rate mode

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hey Dark, is there a reason why I can never seem to select 1440p on DF's Youtube videos? Other channels it shows up just fine but never for DF.
Depends on the video.

This one was uploaded at 1080p, some others are uploaded at 4K. The final analysis for this game will be a 4K video but I typically work in 1080p as it's faster and easier. I don't really like to just upscale videos for higher quality as I don't feel it makes that big of a difference.

Cartho

If we're comparing the PC version it comes out on top easily. Apples to oranges.

People gotta chill out with the circlejerking in here.

Not sure I agree. Speaking as someone who played through TW 3 on PC at 1440p totally maxed out, I will say that, while pure pixel count and framerate is in TW3's favour on PC, I actually think that in terms of art direction and various effects work (foliage being a key one), Horizon surpasses it.

The only real effects type stuff which PC TW3 has that Horizon doesn't is Hairworks, and some of the more subtle lighting stuff like, I guess, HBO+? I ended up turning off Hairworks as it looked abit weird to me, it made Geralt's hair flop about in a really distacting, weird way I found.

People put alot of stock in pure resolution, but it's the other effects which really serve to make a game look good or not in my opinion. It's for this reason that I also found Uncharted 4 to be a more pleasing game from a visual perspective than almost anything I've played on my PC. Resolution might be abit lower than it would be if I was running at native 1440p, but in terms of visual effects, there's not much on PC which can surpass it.

Frame rate is a different story. <3 Gsync.

Jaagen

Looks fantastic(and it performs nicely too!), but I'm a bit dissappointed in the water simulation. It looked a bit flat in the scenes with Aloy swimming.

My absolute media blackout is suddenly at odds with my obsessive need to watch Digital Foundry's analysis.

I'll just listen to the audio on this one. lol

EDIT: This sounds gorgeous. >_>

Md Ray

I'm only halfway through the video... But damn, that performance though... For an open-world game that looks so stunning, the consistent 30fps almost all the time is Naughty Dog tier.

death stranding is using the engine used in horizon

i knew that but i'm saying we already saw this engine fleshed out at this generation's launch with killzone, so i don't know why there'd be doubt - unless death stranding is supposed to be open world like horizon is

icespide

Banned
i knew that but i'm saying we already saw this engine fleshed out at this generation's launch with killzone, so i don't know why there'd be doubt - unless death stranding is supposed to be open world like horizon is
I don't get your point then. it still bodes well for Death Stranding that Horizon looks and performs so good

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Depends on the video.

This one was uploaded at 1080p, some others are uploaded at 4K. The final analysis for this game will be a 4K video but I typically work in 1080p as it's faster and easier. I don't really like to just upscale videos for higher quality as I don't feel it makes that big of a difference.
Makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Gorgeous game. I would love to see some close ups of shadow quality, filtering and motion blur and whatnot

Roboplato, you got my back :)
I'll get some soon but here's a couple random caps of the motion blur

SAnc.jpg

RAnc.jpg

NXGamer

Check out the low-lying clouds at 1:03 in this Gamersyde video:

http://www.gamersyde.com/hqstream_horizon_zero_dawn_ps4_pro_4k_environments_1-39195_en.html

The parallax between the clouds and starry sky behind really helps sell the scale of the environment.
That is a great video thanks for sharing and shows of the budget spent on the atmosphere simulation was justified.

I remember when I previewed the game on its reveal and said they may well be aiming for full volumetric clouds and I got some "yeah right" comments, cannot wait to dive into my copy when it arrives.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Death Stranding is open world and is using models on par with the ones used in Until Dawn, which used the same engine as this one but didn't exactly run very well despite being incredibly linear. Just using an engine isn't some magically promise great visuals with no hit to performance especially when you consider just how long this game has been in development. Concerning Death Stranding I think we should wait to see it running as an actual game with AI, LOD, etc. rather than an animation using a game engine as a renderer like the Adam demo for Unity....granted, Guerilla did a good job here, the game looks great and alleviates my fears that it wouldn't run as smoothly as it does. And it's reviewing well so not really seeing a reason not to get it on launch week.

MaKTaiL

I quite enjoyed how they looked at behaved a lot like the zombies in the World War Z movie; very much swarming like insects or something. Really gives a nice visual effect to the otherwise boring nature of zombies.

... I still don't understand how we haven't had a proper good zombie game with slow zombies, though. :[
Dying Light? Best zombie game this generation so far.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Oh lawd this game ..

Full 2160p via CB ?
No frame pacing, tearing or any visual blemishes ?
John stating this being the best Pro upgraded game yet ?
Performance patch for even smoother frame rates coming soon ?
No performance drops during world travel and combat ?

tumblr_mln7p8aJNO1qfa9ryo1_400.gif

giphy.gif

Fredrik

Wow amazing! DF and GG delivers! I really thought Horizon would push me off the fence but it turns out I don't have to get a Pro after all, Thanks GG!

Pif

Banned
Those saying Nd dethroned, the Sony hierarchy since last gen has been:

SSM
Guerilla Games
Naughty Dog

This is par for the course, although I will be impressed if Horizon can top Madagascar im U4 (media blackout).

GoW4 is going to slay, hold on to your butts.

I wouldn't rule Kojima out so fast. That... baby survival apocalypse will melt your eyes son. Same engine as Horizon btw.

I don't get your point then. it still bodes well for Death Stranding that Horizon looks and performs so good
i get it now if death stranding is open world.
Death Stranding is open world and is using models on par with the ones used in Until Dawn, which used the same engine as this one but didn't exactly run very well despite being incredibly linear. Just using an engine isn't some magically promise great visuals with no hit to performance especially when you consider just how long this game has been in development. Concerning Death Stranding I think we should wait to see it running as an actual game with AI, LOD, etc. rather than an animation using a game engine as a renderer like the Adam demo for Unity....granted, Guerilla did a good job here, the game looks great and alleviates my fears that it wouldn't run as smoothly as it does. And it's reviewing well so not really seeing a reason not to get it on launch week.
I don't think this was ever a question about getting Horizon on launch week. When is Death Stranding coming out?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Putting others to shame really, looking at you SE/Bethesda.

Well .. that's a bit unfair. Just like how the video starts, keep in mind Guerilla had the full Sony backing and they only have the one console to develop for. SE and Bethesda are multi platform developers and they most likely don't have the single-console expertise or budgeting that a Sony first party studio might.

That being said I won't hide the fact that I'm extremely excited to see what Kojima can pull off with this technology.

antyk

So happy that us OG PS4 'peasants' are not left in the dust - will be buying this on day one, even if probably won't play it (my son will) :)

Shredderi

Haven't watched the video yet, but does Aloy finally get wet? Did they fix that from the preview footage? I remember her not getting wet after taking a dip into water.

timlot

Banned
there was a really good thread breaking it down a few weeks ago. so annoying when it gets dismissed as upscaling

Most active gaf members should know that it's not upscaling, but it isn't native either. There is "trickery" going on which subliminally effects how it's viewed. I personally would prefer my games to match the pixel resolution of my TV 1:1.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Go for it I did. Traded in my original payed less than 200 bucks for it just for Horizon.

I think what is holding me back is since the OG has HDR, only thing I'll get is a resolution bump. Idk if that's worth the $200 bones.

Time to get a Pro, because I can't see Sucker Punch, Insomniac, Sony Santa Monica, or Naughty Dog, hell even Bend, not try to at least get their Pro versions to this level of competency.

Derkon

Great to hear it runs pretty much identically on the base PS4 model. Maybe once I get a 4k TV set I'll get a Pro :p.

Top Bottom