• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 Switch will be announced tomorrow (tomorrow=yesterday!)

Zog

Banned
giphy.gif
Fine, I apologize.

I still think the Switch is a port machine though.

Yagami_Sama

That would be great. I hope this is true. But it feels like this would something to be announced in a Nintendo Direct. Diablo is a series that I always liked, but never played.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another old game coming to Switch for full price. Imagine if, in 1991 Super Mario Bros. was announced with extra content (an extra level or two but no graphical upgrade) on the Super Nintendo at full price
latest

Not quite the same, since the game did come with graphical upgrades and new content. However, since Diablo III has never been on handheld, I guess it's hard to see how it compares to the previous versions like your example is doing.

Mr Hyde

Is a new class worth another $60? That's some expensive DLC.

Well, I buy it first and foremost because I think Diablo 3 is a great game, and because it is well suited to the Switch with its fast pace and pick up and play-factor. The Necromancer class is just a nice bonus. Also, I haven´t played it in a couple of years and from what I understand, Blizzard has put out a few patches to the game increasing content like Rifts and so on. I also don´t mind double (or triple) dipping on my favourite games, I mostly just play old classics with a few new ones chucked in for good measure. I mean, I will buy Dark Souls for the third time just because it´s getting a release on the Switch and I will also get Skyrim eventually, which I played quite a lot on PS3 (which was a fucking disaster) and PS4. I have nothing against ports, I´d say bring em on.

EDIT: I also travel a lot so it helps having my favourite games portable.

Last edited:

Hudo

I feel dirty for saying this but Diablo III feels better with a controller. Now, I am interested in how Diablo III feels on a handheld.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I feel dirty for saying this but Diablo III feels better with a controller. Now, I am interested in how Diablo III feels on a handheld.
its the dodge rolls man,
and the completely different playing necro and wd that auto target <3

Zog

Banned
latest

Not quite the same, since the game did come with graphical upgrades and new content. However, since Diablo III has never been on handheld, I guess it's hard to see how it compares to the previous versions like your example is doing.

Super Mario All Stars didn't just come with extra content, it came with 3 other full games and it had a graphical and audio upgrade. You think that I didn't consider Super Mario All Stars when I made that statement?

DiscoJer

The Switch is turning into what the Vita should have been. The Elder Scrolls and Diablo are perfect portable game (IMHO)

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Super Mario All Stars didn't just come with extra content, it came with 3 other full games and it had a graphical and audio upgrade. You think that I didn't consider Super Mario All Stars when I made that statement?
Starting an argument with one poster in this thread didn't went well better start a new one.

Akuza89

To be fair Diablo 3 will work really well on the switch too, I'm game for it.. for like the 3rd time of playing it. Haha

OrbOutrider

Neo Member
That's awesome news. Will it run at 30 or 60 fps? It's tempting to buy it for the third time because of the portability aspect but... nah. I've already played it to death on PS4 and PC.

I still think the Switch is a port machine though.

ALL consoles are “port machines” now. Are you really pretending that there have been no new games on the Switch? Obviously ports of games that have been ported to all the other systems would come later to the Switch, as the Switch is newer. This really isn’t difficult to understand.

Even the PC is now getting console ports. So...

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Okay, so for someone like me who hasn't played Diablo 3 since launch -- or for someone who hasn't played it at all -- you don't think it's worth the asking price? Didn't it launch on PS4 for around the same price?

I'm just saying that ports are a part of the console's lifecycle, and there are complains about ports at the beginning of every console's lifespan.

A game console isn't merely made up of its holiday-hits and biggest exclusives. I think it'll be a cool game to own on Switch. However, I can understand if people pass on it.

Zog

Banned
Okay, so for someone like me who hasn't played Diablo 3 since launch -- or for someone who hasn't played it at all -- you don't think it's worth the asking price? Didn't it launch on PS4 for around the same price?

I'm just saying that ports are a part of the console's lifecycle, and there are complains about ports at the beginning of every console's lifespan.

A game console isn't merely made up of its holiday-hits and biggest exclusives. I think it'll be a cool game to own on Switch. However, I can understand if people pass on it.

If you've never played it then sure, it may worth $60 but is it worth $120 if you buy it twice or $180 if you buy it three times and so on....

Chances are though, instead of a graphical upgrade the Switch will likely see a graphical downgrade from the PS4.

ALL consoles are “port machines” now.
Yes, that's true. Sad isn't it. Talking about ports from previous generations, not current gen multiplats.

Last edited:
Yes, that's true. Sad isn't it. Talking about ports from previous generations, not current gen multiplats.

I actually don’t think it’s sad honestly. I do dislike that they are often full (or near full) price, but for games that I want to replay, I actually prefer to buy a port rather than have 6-10 consoles hooked up that I have to toggle between. That said, I am very selective about which ports I will buy.

And when it comes to the Switch, being able to play something like Skyrim easily when I am traveling for business is pretty damn awesome.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
If you've never played it then sure, it may worth $60 but is it worth $120 if you buy it twice or $180 if you buy it three times and so on....

Chances are though, instead of a graphical upgrade the Switch will likely see a graphical downgrade from the PS4..
Right, but I specifically waited and didn't buy the PS3 or PS4 versions, hoping to someday get a portable version. And here we are. Why're you trying to piss in my soup, man? This is a cool game announcement (if the rumor is true).

Zog

Banned
And when it comes to the Switch, being able to play something like Skyrim easily when I am traveling for business is pretty damn awesome.
Not only do I find it uncomfortable to play the Switch in portable mode, I find it fragile as well compared to the 3DS or even the Vita. To me, the Switch is just an under powered console with full priced ports. Nintendo really does consider it a console too which is why they are still supporting the 3DS but not the Wii U.

Right, but I specifically waited and didn't buy the PS3 or PS4 versions, hoping to someday get a portable version. And here we are. Why're you trying to piss in my soup, man? This is a cool game announcement (if the rumor is true).
Obviously, I don't think it's a cool announcement. I think it's just another full priced port.

Last edited:

JORMBO

Darkness no more
Not sure I understand the complaints. We can either have Diablo 3 on the Switch or not have Diablo 3 on the Switch. Having the option is better. People who want it can pick it up and people that don’t want it can ignore it. Nothing lost. Blizzard wouldn’t be making a new Switch exclusive if they weren’t making this so we aren’t giving up anything to get this.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
Not sure I understand the complaints. We can either have Diablo 3 on the Switch or not have Diablo 3 on the Switch. Having the option is better. People who want it can pick it up and people that don’t want it can ignore it. Nothing lost. Blizzard wouldn’t be making a new Switch exclusive if they weren’t making this so we aren’t giving up anything to get this.
If you don't have positive comments you shouldn't comment at all?

JORMBO

Darkness no more
If you don't have positive comments you shouldn't comment at all?

No, of course not. I’m just commenting that I don’t get the complaint about this being ported. To me a new game that wasn’t there before is a positive.

oagboghi2

No, I don't expect deep thoughts go into blatant trolling.

Anyway, as someone who never played Diablo 3, I'm excited for this news. I might pick it up someday.

Zog

Banned
No, I don't expect deep thoughts go into blatant trolling.

Anyway, as someone who never played Diablo 3, I'm excited for this news. I might pick it up someday.

I am not trolling. Here's the definition of a troll:

make a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

My aim wasn't to upset anyone. This is just my opinion.

hecatomb

Banned
Diablo 3 is alright, not even diablo fans like it for the most part. Diablo 2 is still 100 times better. Blizzard should make like a HD version of their older games, like lost Vikings, or Blackthorne

Fbh

It's a good fit for the Switch

But to me it's yet another port I won't get because I'd rather spend $60 on one of the several upcoming new games than a port of a 4 years old game. At least since it's not made by Nintendo it might get a decent sale at some point

cryptoadam

Banned
Just another game for a system with nearly 20 million sales.

If its not for you there is 19 999 999 other switch owners who can have the choice to buy the game.

And if its to expensive or to much of a port the market will reject it and move onto the other games on the system.

Petrae

I can't double-dip on this for $60, given that I have a version on the Xbox One X that will outperform it easily and I don't use Switch as a portable machine, but will look for future sales on it after release.

Zannegan

I won't buy it in the near future (too many games and too little time already), but it's always nice to see more games hit the system, and I like that they've included all the DLC.

From what little I've played of it, Diablo seems like a really good fit for on-the-go gaming too

Barakov

I'll still probably stick with the PC version but I'm intrigued by this version. If it runs and looks decent I can see myself picking it up. The switch is a very convenient little machine.

EDMIX

The Switch is turning into what the Vita should have been. The Elder Scrolls and Diablo are perfect portable game (IMHO)
Agreed.

They should have never removed that tv out feature from Vita. One of my favorite features on PSP

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
GBA had Super Mario Advance and Super Mario Advance 4 though, which were partial rereleases of Super Mario All-Stars with minor new content (plus the e-Reader stuff on SMA4, which required additional investment though and was only available in USA and Japan). Also, it had rereleases of DKC, DKC2, DKC3, SMW, YI, Zelda ALttP, each with at most minor new content (highlights being Four Swords in ALttP, a new world in DKC3 and six new levels in YI). That being said, I am also quite furious over the amount of ports of old games on Switch. There is almost nothing new coming out and as a long-time Nintendo fan I am very, very disappointed with the Switch right now. If Smash Bros. does not get a proper single player, it will be the first year sind 1995 that I do not buy a single Nintendo-published game...

Akuza89

After looking a bit more at the info this morning, it's going to be full price...really? Not even like a little knocked off?

I'm still going to get it, but may be not at launch, I can go get the Xbox one version for a fraction of the full switch price and it'll have the same content.

Besides that I've already played it twice before... don't really need to again in a rush I guess.

Zog

Banned
Totally not trolling
What does finding a post funny have to do with trolling? In fact, I would say that calling someone a troll is 'making a deliberately offensive or provocative online post with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them'.

Last edited:

Zog

Banned
GBA had Super Mario Advance and Super Mario Advance 4 though, which were partial rereleases of Super Mario All-Stars with minor new content (plus the e-Reader stuff on SMA4, which required additional investment though and was only available in USA and Japan). Also, it had rereleases of DKC, DKC2, DKC3, SMW, YI, Zelda ALttP, each with at most minor new content (highlights being Four Swords in ALttP, a new world in DKC3 and six new levels in YI). That being said, I am also quite furious over the amount of ports of old games on Switch. There is almost nothing new coming out and as a long-time Nintendo fan I am very, very disappointed with the Switch right now. If Smash Bros. does not get a proper single player, it will be the first year sind 1995 that I do not buy a single Nintendo-published game...
Pretty sure all the GBA ports were cheaper than the SNES originals.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Pretty sure all the GBA ports were cheaper than the SNES originals.
Well they were 40€ here, which is full price for GBA games, and yes, cheaper than SNES full price was. But only by ~30%.

Vawn

Banned
Well they were 40€ here, which is full price for GBA games, and yes, cheaper than SNES full price was. But only by ~30%.

Funny how GBA and other handheld games were 1/3 the price of console games and it was because portable games are just cheaper.

Now Switch games often cost 2 or 3 times as much as the console versions and everyone defends it saying they should cost more because they're portable.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Great addition to the library for the Nintendo only crowd and portable only/mostly gamers for sure. Moot for me as I played it on PS4 and don't game portably that much, but I'm always happy to see the Switch and portable gamers getting more games. Especially for the portable only folk, with the Vita failing to sell well there was a risk of not getting console level (even if prior gen graphically) games on the go. It's nice the Switch is filling that void.

Top Bottom