• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digimon Story: Cyber Sleuth Hacker’s Memory announced for PS4, PS Vita

Day 1, playing through the first now and man its good. Just hit chapter 12 a few minutes ago. Talking about raising the stakes.

Also PLS BAMCO
Oh god for real. Between Megidramon not being in, and Gallantmon (and Chaos variant) being practically only available endgame, Guilmon got snubbed haaard in terms of megas in Cyber Sleuth.

I always preferred Megidramon anyway.
6b2777026010ddb6cce04e4ea940c2a7818b9d1f_hq.jpg

Ravage

So for gameplay what changes do we want?

Nerfing pierces somehow surely. Splitting INT into offense and defense stats. Even if this means that physical has "advantage" since Basic attacks are physical, high INT automatically having good INT resist isnt that right either. Status effects should not be 100% normally and it should be fixed so that you cant loop enemy into status effects.

Dont do drugs like Shinegreymon BM's signature attack.

Also multiplayer lobbies and friend invites as well, so maybe some form of community could be born.

INT definitely needs to be fixed, easy solution is to have a separate Mag Def stat which also reduces chance of status ailments.

Make Piercing attacks rarer or add more caveats. Either that or remove Def stat altogether.

Godspeed needs to be nerfed.

Opa-Pa

Pierce effect was straight up garbage and should be either scrapped or reserved for finishers only. CS' balance was a mess and endgame there was basically no reason to own digimon without pierce unless you wanted bosses to take an hour to beat.

Kouriozan

i can't confirm this but i think what it is is that digimon games are most successful on playstation platforms. you don't really see any digimon games on xbox and you've been seeing less on nintendo platforms
Yep, after the multiple GBA/DS games they simply died out (and 3DS one was never localized)

Oh god for real. Between Megidramon not being in, and Gallantmon (and Chaos variant) being practically only available endgame, Guilmon got snubbed haaard in terms of megas in Cyber Sleuth.

I always preferred Megidramon anyway.

I'm still bitter that he wasn't in Next Order despite the perfect opportunity. His reveal in Tamers was legitimately terrifying.

Cruxist

Pierce effect was straight up garbage and should be either scrapped or reserved for finishers only. CS' balance was a mess and endgame there was basically no reason to own digimon without pierce unless you wanted bosses to take an hour to beat.

Agreed. Made so many digimon unattractive. Let me go for the partners I want without worrying about pierce abilities!

If I had one fanboy wish for the sequel it would be temporary mid-battle digivolutions. They'd need to adjust the gameplay to account for it but blast digivolution was awesome in digimon world 3 and ExE was hype as fuck in Next Order.

Hopefully they spend some more time balancing the difficulties too. Neither of them on PS4 felt right.

Sealtest

i can't confirm this but i think what it is is that digimon games are most successful on playstation platforms. you don't really see any digimon games on xbox and you've been seeing less on nintendo platforms

Actually if you count the battle/racing/Appmon games and JP exclusives starting from 2003 we had 14 Nintendo releases and 8 Sony releases.

Even in the past couple of years it's been pretty good at getting them on both Nintendo and Sony.

I understand they might not sell on Nintendo in the west but that's something completely different.

Full scans are out and about, though I don't think there is anything we didn't already know. It mentions the starter growing up with the MC? I still can't tell who the golden Digimon is.

Takao

Banned
Actually if you count the battle/racing/Appmon games and JP exclusives starting from 2003 we had 14 Nintendo releases and 8 Sony releases.

Even in the past couple of years it's been pretty good at getting them on both Nintendo and Sony.

I understand they might not sell on Nintendo in the west but that's something completely different.

As of late, it's been a case of PlayStation platforms for the older audience games, Nintendo for the kids. That was kicked off due to Re:Digitize on PSP selling more than any of the recent DS entries. The issue is that the kids market seems to have collapsed. Last fall's Appmon 3DS game is one of the worst sellers in the franchise's entire history.

why not just start from the beginning?

even then i wouldn't be surprised if there have been overall more titles released on nintendo platforms but I get the feeling that they don't sell as well there because of how much more robust the Pokemon franchise is.

Sealtest

even then i wouldn't be surprised if there have been overall more titles released on nintendo platforms but I get the feeling that they don't sell as well there because of how much more robust the Pokemon franchise is.

I only started at 2003 because that's when they first started showing up on consoles other then Sony in North America.

And you're right about Pokemon dominating the games in the west. Pokemon had such a stranglehold on everything that Digimon was put to the curb.

I only started at 2003 because that's when they first started showing up on consoles other then Sony in North America.

And you're right about Pokemon dominating the games in the west. Pokemon had such a stranglehold on everything that Digimon was put so the curb.
indeed. nobody cares about digimon except for the niche hardcore

Zaventem

I ust think it was handled poorly. Because the game doesn't have int def it just goes straight through with what's her face that does ridiculous piercing.

The DS games did very well, and Decode on 3DS also had pretty strong sales, especially considering it was an enhanced port of a PSP game.

kewlmyc

Character designs look to again be by Suzuhito Yasuda.

Cool. He's one of my favorite character designers out there, despite the weird ass anti gravity boobs he's fond of in some of his designs *cough*Devil Survivor 2*cough*.

Fisico

I still feel like that's a listing of games they've worked on, because why would it not say "long-seller raising RPG for PS4/Vita" now we know the platforms?

To be vague ? Because the PSV is the lead SKU ? Because it wasn't decided until recently that the PS4 SKU will be done by Media Vision ? Maybe Media Vision isn't the studio doing it ? Dunno there could be multiple other reasons.
In the job post there's another subsection which presents what the company worked on before, including Wild Arms, Chaos Rings and Shining and I don't think there's any doubt that the three project mentioned at the beginning are WIP projects.

企業の特徴 ・同社セールスポイント
■RPG制作特化企業:同社は設立以来RPGにおいて多くのヒット作を生み出してきました。RPGのゲームといえば同社といっても過言ではありません。
■ビッグタイトル多数制作:ワイルドアームシリーズ、ケイオスリングスシリーズ、シャイニングシリーズ

RalchAC

So an even better chance of a worldwide launch, Excellent.

I don't think there would be a worldwide launch. The localization process is already hard and time consuming enough as it is. A worldwide launch implies that the different localization teams are going to have to work with a product in development that's subject to changes. So you may have to review the text and change some stuff in the last few weeks because some lines were modified in the original game.

It's easier to do localization QA with a finished product too. You never know if X or Y bug fix is going to break some part of the localization project that was previously working without many issues.

That's why a lot of games release a few months after the JP version. At the end of the day it's cheaper because there are less variables.

No female MC?

In past games FeMC was announced at a later date.

then i couldn't tell ya why. maybe they just didn't sell as high as they wanted or something.

Nah. They went Vita for Cyber Sleuth because they were aiming for an older audience, and the game was running above what the 3DS could handle.

I wouldn't read anything into this game not being on the Switch. Development probably started a year ago or more. Now, if they release a Digimon World game next year and it doesn't hit the Switch, that would be surprising and you could read something into it.

To be vague ? Because the PSV is the lead SKU ? Because it wasn't decided until recently that the PS4 SKU will be done by Media Vision ? Maybe Media Vision isn't the studio doing it ? Dunno there could be multiple other reasons.
In the job post there's another subsection which presents what the company worked on before, including Wild Arms, Chaos Rings and Shining and I don't think there's any doubt that the three project mentioned at the beginning are WIP projects.

I don't see why the PS4 version wouldn't be done by Media.Vision when they handled the PS4 version of the prequel, but I guess we'll see as/when more of their projects get announced :p

StereoVsn

The first game turned out to be better then expected by far. I do have a mixed feeling about having a Vita port since that limited the game to smaller area introducing a lot of loading.

Loading on Vita version was pretty bad.

So I guess the job listing from a few weeks ago was correct

Looking forward Valkyria Chronicles 3 remake on PS4 now :D

This is the real news here, assuming we interpreted that listing right and Azure Revolution's critical and commercial failure in Japan and soon failure in the west didn't jeopardize it.

(Man, what scares me there is that importers on GAF have a tendency to sugarcoat and declare something "The best game in the series since [old entry]!" - But this time all the importers universally agreed it was bad/mediocre... Which can only mean Valkyria '06 in reality.)

Nah. They went Vita for Cyber Sleuth because they were aiming for an older audience, and the game was running above what the 3DS could handle.

I wouldn't read anything into this game not being on the Switch. Development probably started a year ago or more. Now, if they release a Digimon World game next year and it doesn't hit the Switch, that would be surprising and you could read something into it.
is it that digimon world is supposed to be the more kiddish? the last world game didn't come out on a nintendo platform either

is it that digimon world is supposed to be the more kiddish? the last world game didn't come out on a nintendo platform either

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that this game was probably decided on before the Switch details were fully realized. If the next game doesn't come to the Switch, you could read into that, because they're probably only just now starting on it.

The next game will be a Digimon World game, because they're alternating between the two series. The Switch is seen as being the logical successor to the Vita by a lot of people due to it being the only handheld system on the market once the 3DS and Vita die off.

True Fire

Re:Digitize was ported to 3DS, so Next Order, Cyber Sleuth and/or Hacker's Memory are all candidates for Switch ports.

The more Digimon sales the better tbh.

Re:Digitize was ported to 3DS, so Next Order, Cyber Sleuth and/or Hacker's Memory are all candidates for Switch ports.

And Digimon Adventure was ported nowhere :(

(I also feel like Re:Digitize was ported to 3DS because it was a 'relevant' platform while PSP was fading - all the games you've listed are on PS4, which should have that covered).

No, that's not what I'm saying.

I'm saying that this game was probably decided on before the Switch details were fully realized. If the next game doesn't come to the Switch, you could read into that, because they're probably only just now starting on it.

The next game will be a Digimon World game, because they're alternating between the two series. The Switch is seen as being the logical successor to the Vita by a lot of people due to it being the only handheld system on the market once the 3DS and Vita die off.
Oh I see. Yeah, if the next world game does come out on Switch I hope it's exclusive, should also be on Ps4

Shizuka

And Digimon Adventure was ported nowhere :(

(I also feel like Re:Digitize was ported to 3DS because it was a 'relevant' platform while PSP was fading - all the games you've listed are on PS4, which should have that covered).

Exactly. If they do decide to port those games to any platform, it'd be PC.

of course, that is the point of multiplatform releases but if it sells significantly better on one platform over another it would also make sense for why they make some games exclusive.

data

I hope in this one the story will take the backseat. And please let us skip the combo stuff :/
And some anti-aliasing would be nice.

Top Bottom