• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

A bit disappointing if it runs at xbox one settings

Not entirely unexpected with that CPU though, given the design on Assassin's Creed games and density of the cities you're going to get CPU bound pretty quickly. Although to be fair, even if they had the power I'd say fuck the native 4K, do something with those shadows!

(In b4 people forget there are actually native 4K games on the 1X)

Nothing wrong with checkerboard 4K. I hope the True 4K crowd will recognize that soon.

These discussions might become less ridiculous when they do.

Business

23ia2j5.gif

Zojirushi

So basically they're prioritizing higher settings and then push resolution as much as possible afterwards.

Understandable I guess, graphics > IQ marketing wise.

shandy706

Didn't DF say it's a 900p engine for consoles.

It's literally built at that res...so I guess checkerboard is all you can wish for. This would be Ubisoft building to that.

This thread will probably still turn to trash.

GHG

Nothing wrong with checkerboard 4K. I hope the True 4K crowd will recognize that soon.

Absolutely not, it's actually the sensible approach to adopt in many cases on these consoles due to the CPU limitation.

The problem comes in however when Microsoft start calling checkerboarding "True 4K". There's nothing true about it.

emrober5

I expected checkerboard but it really makes Phil's whole "true 4k" speech look bad.

For the record, I think checkerboard 4k looks great on my PS4 pro but Microsoft needs to clear their damn messaging up. It seems like every year, shortly after their conference we find out that they just straight up lied about one thing or another.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Checkerboard is very impressive and good compromise. Anyone that has played Horizon on PS4 pro will know what l mean.

Yep and hopefully MS takes this into account for their own games as well. Native 4K in Halo 6 for example is not all that nessecary. Go for checkerboard and use it for visual fidelity.

shandy706

Yep and hopefully MS takes this into account for their own games as well. Native 4K in Halo 6 for example is not all that nessecary. Go for checkerboard and use it for visual fidelity.

Yeah...I'd be good with that too.

Lol so much for true 4K console

The only true 4K console!

Looking like it. True 4k console* y'all.

Andherewego.gif

This has nothing to do with MS's claims. People are clueless.

Yeah...I'd be good with that too.

But right now that's a bit unclear. For example they said Crackdown is 4K, native or checkerboard as well? They need to be more clear on this. DF said you can barely see the difference between native and checkerboard, so sounds a bit of a waste to make your exclusives native 4K, just so you can brag about that.

I do think they can make Origins native 4k but other things very likely would be sacrificed. However when all is said and done all this true 4K talk is a bit nonsense from MS. I get it though.

Fredrik

Totally but you know they've put themselves in this position now that every single 1st party MS game is forced to run at 4K, even if that means tons of other sacrifices. Because it they don't, what was the point to call XBOX a true 4K console? Games can run at 4K on Pro too. 4K60fps even.

L.O.R.D

Nothing wrong with 1080p,I'll take 60FPS with high end graphics at 1080p instead of 30FPS and fake 4k.

Moosichu

Absolutely not, it's actually the sensible approach to adopt in many cases on these consoles due to the GPU limitation.

The problem comes in however when Microsoft start calling checkerboarding "True 4K". There's nothing true about it.

Resolution is GPU bound.

It's simply sensible because checkerboarding to 4K is so much cheaper than native, with only a minor loss in image quality that is unnoticeable to most people.

The power can then be saved for other graphics improvements.

wapplew

No compromise, almost unfair, pixel purity, fear nothing, terrifying clarity, not the same league.
I'm sure it can hit 4K once Ubi use that extra gigs of ram freed up recently.

Moosichu

Didn't DF say it's a 900p engine for consoles.

It's literally built at that res...so I guess checkerboard is all you can wish for. This would be Ubisoft building to that.

This thread will probably still turn to trash.

It's 900p on Xbox One, and the jump from Xbox One to Xbox One X is much larger than that from PS4 to PS4 Pro.

Top Bottom