• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

True 4Kinda

That said, there's nothing wrong with checkerboard 4K, it's just that it doesn't match MS 's PR, which promised a true "pixel purity " w/o compromises, and a gaming experience so far ahead of PS4 Pro that it plays in its own league.

Marmelade

I guess people are missing it's the Alpha build and the high PC settings, but carry on.

Where do get the high PC settings?
He only says that he gets the impression that the presentation is more like that of a high end PC experience
He, like everyone else outside of devs, has no idea what the actual high/max PC settings are

Rover99

Banned
Nice to see True 4K making its debut to achieve Pixel Purity. You can almost feel the true power. In fact it's almost unfair.

onQ123

About what?

They are using high settings, in the video he says they are using "PC high settings , not console high settings"

They said from the start there is no 4K mandate and devs can use the power how they wish

What does my post have to do with what you said?

Jonnax

C'mom man, they've always stated it's up to the developer how to use its power.

They did state that, yes. But their marjeting in their conference and interviews in the last few days has been touting true 4k and how the PS4 Pro is a One S equivalent.

The average person will think XBox X = True 4k.

Fredrik

True but I do think when ACO releases and both versions use checkerboard 4K that the X version likely will have better detail maybe or better textures, shadows etc. There is more power in that X and I'm surely they'll use that. Remains to be seen how different.

Yeah but wasn't that only about third party devs? I'm hoping they mean first party as well.

What some people here should realize is that the X can definitely do native 4K but the developer, Ubi in this case chose C4K.
It's still a failure imo. I planned to get an Xbox One X to get a taste of 4K until prices go down so I can upgrade to 4K on the PC. But if I won't get 4K then what's the point? Get a taste of fake 4K isn't quite as interesting. And the framerate is still the usual 30fps we've got used to on console. Feels very much like a simple (but definitely well designed) stop-gap console just like Pro, it's slightly better but it's still not able to hit 4K unless devs start sacrificing things. So what's the point really? It would be better to push the PR message toward hw supersampling and anisotropic filtering than "4K".

Noobcraft

MS: "We aren't going to mandate 4k for Xbox One X"

*Dev showcases game using cb rendering to kind of reach 4k*

GAF: "See? It's not even a true 4k console!"

Kayant

This has nothing to do with MS's claims. People are clueless.
It literally has everything to do with that.
Phil Spencer said:

And no this isn't about devs being able to do what they want to with hardware. The above quote says they wouldn't need it because it's a "true 4K console" which is completely different.

MS: "We aren't going to mandate 4k for Xbox One X"

*Dev showcases game using cb rendering to kind of reach 4k*

GAF: "See? It's not even a true 4k console!"

wow. so much salt in this thread:

Sell_Salt_Refinery_Salt_Plants.jpg

1. this is an alpha build
2. this is one of the first games for X1X... lets wait a little for the 2nd wave at least, where Devs have more time to optimise.. okay?
Lmao XD. Also, the alpha build is already closer to high-end PC settings than console settings.
"We got an extended gameplay demo running on Xbox One X hardware, again promising 4K ultra HD and high dynamic range rendering support - though Ubisoft has since confirmed the utilisation of both checkerboarding and dynamic resolution. It certainly looks like an established current-gen engine scaled up to 4K with select embellishments, and traditionally, the Assassin's Creed titles have run at a native 900p. Can Xbox One X really deliver a compelling 2160p presentation? Well, we're lucky enough to have had access to an uncompressed 4K feed from the media riser at the event, and initial analysis suggests that - yes - the gameplay footage here passes muster on ultra HD screens, and it looks great. Look to Watch Dogs 2 on PC for how good 2160p checkerboarding can look, and you'll see the same level of accomplishment here on Xbox One X. As for the dynamic scaling? In the demo footage we're poring over, everything we've tested seems to resolves to full 2160p based on pixel-counts. This is seriously impressive stuff."

Between Forza Motorsport 7 and Assassin's Creed Origins, we have two cases that fully deliver the promises made by Microsoft - whether native or checkerboarding, both are clearly viable 4K experiences and look pin-sharp. And we really liked Microsoft's approach to messaging at the briefing: every ultra HD 4K title supported HDR, and of everything shown, all but three titles - Dragonball FighterZ, Code Vein and Life is Strange - are targeting 4K (this trio of games gets unspecified Xbox One X enhancements). The intent is clear: to position Xbox One X as the 4K games console, where its competition is well known for the inconsistency of its ultra HD support.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...ox-one-looks-stunning-but-we-need-to-see-more

leeh

You know what I find quite funny on here is most people who actually intend to buy this console are saying, this is fine, we knew this all along. I know I and others said that we'd prefer 4K checkerboard for higher settings.

Then you get the people who clearly have no intention of buying this are like LOLOLOL TRUE 4Kinda.

Everyone knew since this thing was announced that it was only 1st party games which would be running at 4K.

Its also a bloody alpha build.

SpotAnime

t10JTWm.jpg

They forgot "Almost 4K" .

Checkerboard rendering is a legitimate method of getting to 4K. This is fine.

For $100 more than the PS4 Pro and achieving 4K via the same techniques st the same performance, I'd say this is not worth the premium. Not fine for that price.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
You know what I find quite funny on here is most people who actually intend to buy this console are saying, this is fine, we knew this all along. I know I and others said that we'd prefer 4K checkerboard for higher settings.

Then you get the people who clearly have no intention of buying this are like LOLOLOL TRUE 4Kinda.

Everyone knew since this thing was announced that it was only 1st party games which would be running at 4K.

image.php

Necro900

They should just drop the "True 4K" and "4K ULTRA HD" stamps on games that don't actually render at 4K. The "Enhanched for Xbox One X" is more than enough and definitely more appropriate/honest.

The way they've marketed the X1X until now has been... almost unfair.

You're missing now they're act like they "planned" to buy Xbox One X.
Yeah no, implying i would ever trust their replies.

Yep.

Plus there's some of us who have 1080p displays who are buying the one x just for enhanced performance and supersampling.

Lots of power in that box, and I'm glad they aren't using it just to boast about true 4k.

Hermii

So Microsoft's 4k statements are the equivalent of the 2013 statements of power of the cloud?

Not at all, MS has consistently stated that devs can do whatever they want with the power. They have not once said every game will run native.

So Xbox x is the same as the Pro, just more expensive.

It does have significantly better specs, and I am sure the DF article on the final game will reflect that. I feel some of you are misunderstanding on purpose.

Dervius

These 4k conversations are already exhausted.

Literally every X1X related threat ends up here.

The marketing seems to be intentionally opaque to give the impression that all X1X games will be True 4k.

The term "True" seems to refer to "native" when talking about 4k. With the exception of one interview with Phil Spencer where he appears to denounce the "manufactured" methods of achieving 4k (i..e checkerboarding), MS has never outrightly stated that the X1X will play every game in native/true 4k. In fact as people have linked their definition of what qualifies as 4k includes dynamic resolution and checkerboarding, but seemingly these do not satisfy MS's definition of True 4k

tl:dr;

MS have seemingly never said that every game on X1X will achieve native/true 4k, only that the console can [/I ]achieve it. Thus according to makreting X1x is a "true 4k" console because it can enable the antive res.

Phil has given some shady interviews to create the impression that all games are native 4k #marketing

When you see 4k on an X1X game case it can include dynamic resolution and checkerboarding techniques.(according to their own definition)

MS may actually label when something hits true / native 4k

People really need to stfu with "so much for true 4k" bullshit

Gradly

They said from the start there is no 4K mandate and devs can use the power how they wish

I know that but it's not an excuse. I can say that both OG Xbox One and PS4 can run native 4k games (a card game for example) but devs can do whatever they like.

Microsoft has Assassin's Creed: Origin marketing and they ofc worked closely with the team and knew before the keynote what's going on.

PS4 Pro runs some games in native 4K but Sony didn't market that at all they went all in telling about the checkerboard or Interpolation (or whatever that called) techniques from the start. They could have simply said it runs true 4k but devs can do whatever they like

STANNY

Neo Member
Did anybody claim AC was true 4k? I don't remember those claims.
Did Microsoft claim that all games would be true 4k? I don't remember that claim.
I definitely remember them saying that Devs can use the power however they wish though.
So a non story then. The game is what it is. Carry on.

Have you forgotten what happened when the switch was revealed? You'll always see these guys downplaying. It's the norm around these parts.Lol

MilkyJoe

It's destroying them inside and it's all they have the cling to.

The best part is that I don't want 4K games, I would rather have the frames and the eye candy over 4K every day of the week and twice on Sundays, so a little dynamic CBR with the 4K is a squirt of piss in the ocean.

Truely pathetic, especially when the non 4K mandate has been championed by xbox owners for months

valkyre

Since this uses checkerboarding to hit 2160p does that mean that the image quality is on par with Horizon on PS4 Pro?

This is not aimed at trying to make a comparison, just for me to understand the kind of visual fidelity represented for this game on XBOX X.

Also, does the Pro version of this game feature checkerboarding to 1440p? Because it is mentioned on this video.

Micerider

Checkerboard is fine and a sensible choice for better settings vs cost. It sounds so ironic though w ith all this "True 4k" talk.

They really need to find a way to better convey their advantage.

MilkyJoe

What does my post have to do with what you said?

"why would they drop it for Xbox One X instead of keeping it & using higher settings? "

Ergo they are able to user higher settings anyway, they are using high PC settings, watch the video.

I know that but it's not an excuse. I can say that both OG Xbox One and PS4 can run native 4k games (a card game for example) but devs can do whatever they like.

Microsoft has Assassin's Creed: Origin marketing and they ofc worked closely with the team and knew before the keynote what's going on.

PS4 Pro runs some games in native 4K but Sony didn't market that at all they went all in telling about the checkerboard or Interpolation (or whatever that called) techniques from the start. They could have simply said it runs true 4k but devs can do whatever they like

You just asked a question, i gave you the answer and you switch and start hamming about excuses, I thought you were not bothered?

TS-08

The point being that those titles are plausibly under his control at least somewhat. 3rd party can do what they want because there's no mandate for native 4k.

Doesn't change what Phil said. He didn't state that exception nor was it implied. Also, Origins was a showcase game at the conference. It takes on a different significance from another random 3rd party games.

madmackem

Since this uses checkerboarding to hit 2160p does that mean that the image quality is on par with Horizon on PS4 Pro?

This is not aimed at trying to make a comparison, just for me to understand the kind of visual fidelity represented for this game on XBOX X.

Also, does the Pro version of this game feature checkerboarding to 1440p? Because it is mentioned on this video.
They don't have pro version to test, that's what previous updates to older ass creeds on pro run at, apart from the collection that's native iirc.

Top Bottom