• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Oh God....

Please don't tell me that 'Animus Pulse' on the left stick is a 'ping' for interesting/relevant items in an area. That shit literally ruins games for me. It was in Dragon Age Inquisition and I felt obligated to constantly ping every few steps because this type of system creates an excuse for devs to 'hide' things in the environment than can only be 'revealed' by pinging. If you don't want to miss something, constantly ping.

If that is what 'Animus Pulse' is, then I'm out.
It's basically the thing from the Witcher that highlights lootable objects. Doesn't seem to do anything besides that. Nothing in the demo disnt really seemed to require it to be interacted with.

jamsy

So this may be slightly off-topic, but I was wondering - if Black Flag runs at 900p on Xbox One, would it run at a higher resolution on the X?

Lister

Banned
It is 4K

4K is a resolution & the resolution is 4K, it's just being achieved in a more efficient/cheaper way.

I 99% agree with you.

Or in other words, there is a price to pay, in terms of IQ at the very least, for that efficiency. It's not a have your cake and eat it too situation.

More like have your cake and eat everything but the frosting :)

KageMaru

Again, that's running on a damn console, but looks like a tricked out PC. Really excited about this console and this game.

Oh, and you haven't even seen it running in HDR yet!

Let's not get carried away now. I guarantee this will look better on my PC and it's not tricked out at all.

Seems hyperbolic, the PC version is bound to look much better. The interesting question is: How is the PS4 Pro version going to look and run? Let's hope developers don't go for artificial Xbonx/PS4 Pro parity.

Not sure if it counts as confirmation but it was said at E3 that both the Pro and X will run at 4K CBR. So it does look like they are going for parity again.

I am not the one to keep on punishing MS for an indiscretion

uL55Bvu.jpg

thelastword

Banned
Well, to be honest, this is only a later trend. This thread, up until the last few pages, has been about genuine interest in the game from what I've read.
TBF, this is a tech thread and discussions as to AC game mechanics et al should probably be done in the impressions/preview threads.

The problem sometimes, is that some fans come into the tech threads and get upset when people discuss certain elements of the graphics they don't find is optimum or all that great. Also, I've heard many users echo that this game is a solid 30fps on XBONEX, has that been confirmed or are there any fps vids that I missed?

spannicus

TBF, this is a tech thread and discussions as to AC game mechanics et al should probably be done in the impressions/preview threads.

The problem sometimes, is that some fans come into the tech threads and get upset when people discuss certain elements of the graphics they don't find is optimum or all that great. Also, I've heard many users echo that this game is a solid 30fps on XBONEX, has that been confirmed or are there any fps vids that I missed?
You interested in picking up xbox one x?

I 99% agree with you.

Or in other words, there is a price to pay, in terms of IQ at the very least, for that efficiency. It's not a have your cake and eat it too situation.

More like have your cake, and here's some cheaper frosting that looks and tastes exactly like the real thing, and you'll never know the difference unless you go digging through the trash for the receipt. :)

It was damn solid when I played it. However, I did have a few guys I met on the Sea of Thieves line who said to me the gameplay felt really choppy and slow for them, but considering I had never experienced that problem myself, and neither did a lot of other people, I'm going to go ahead and assume that there was an issue with the dev kit that needed attention. I encountered a few bugs here or there that forced the dev to make my character float to get me moving again.

I'm not upset. I welcome that kind of discussion, especially since I find it very difficult to find many complaints about how this game looks on Xbox One X. It really does look stunning. That said, people being stuck on Phil Spencer's comments or how Microsoft is choosing to market the console, whether that be "True 4K" "Uncompressed pixels" etc, isn't necessarily technical discussion either, but even in this thread I feel it's totally relevant to be mentioned. So we obviously always walk a fine line. DF tech threads are naturally also threads for people who have an interest in the game being analyzed, hence why we will always have that crossover.

MilkyJoe

Millions watched the presser, I'm sure they're not all hardcore or pro gamers.. There are many people who watch the presser and they only wanted to see one game, maybe the next Halo or something....and btw news like that goes around...

That's not even the big thing, I think guys like Phil are just compounding the issue with bad PR.. The XBONEX is already going to have a tough time without much in new iP's and at that pricepoint, but if you feel confident that it will do well, I guess we shall see...

I'm sure it will do fine, it'll sell fantastically in fact, because in about 4 years it will be the base unit and cheap as chips. But I'm confused at why you think it even matters to me. I'm not a share holder

You see bad PR because you are on the other team, most people can tune out obvious spin, so all I saw were some nice looking games, a powerful console, 3 gens of BC, all in a tiny little box. That's good enough for me.

Did you know there's a savable SNES/NES/GB/GBA/MEGADRIVE/MASTER-SYSTEM emulator too?

Lister

Banned
So this may be slightly off-topic, but I was wondering - if Black Flag runs at 900p on Xbox One, would it run at a higher resolution on the X?

I don't think we know for sure yet.

Unlike PC games with grpahics options, console games are kind fo tied to hardware configurations in terms of graphics settings.

Some things might be improved right out of the box, but others might require developer intervention - a patch.

I would resolution is likely to be one of those things. Same for frame rate unlocks (though frame rate stability is likely to be improved out of the box). Same for any other kind of graphics settings improvements.

So again, it's not likeon PC where you go and get ashiny new $500 GPU and you KNOW your older titles are going to benefit significantly. HEre they might or might not or might a little.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Let's not get carried away now. I guarantee this will look better on my PC and it's not tricked out at all.

Not sure if it counts as confirmation but it was said at E3 that both the Pro and X will run at 4K CBR. So it does look like they are going for parity again.

I think they said both were dynamic checkerboard. I expect XBX to hold the 2160c more often with Pro dipping down to 1800c fairly regularly.

Lister

Banned
More like have your cake, and here's some cheaper frosting that looks and tastes exactly like the real thing, and you'll never know the difference unless you go digging through the trash for the receipt. :)

It depends. If all buffers are aimed at 4K and you're sparse rendering/checerboarding them, then yes. Especially at typicla TV viewing distances. You're goign to get artifacts in motion, you're going to get softness in motion but it's a fine trade off for the performance gain. I'd happily make it on my 3440x1440p monitor if I had the choice in most games.

BUT as is often the case with the Pro, the buffer actually targets lower than 4K whether dynamically or not, then things are a bit different I think and my frosting anology is closer to the truth... well as close as frosting and cakes cna get to the the truth... (which is VERY close) :p

thelastword

Banned
Relevance?

AC is coming to PC, PS4 and XBOX...I am leaning towards buying a Vega GPU in August to play multiplat games at 4k 60fps tbh. It seems the most reasonable investment since I can play Forza, Gears, K.I, Recore and most of the xbox console exclusives on PC.. XBONEX would be much more attractive if there were some dangling new IP's and their wares weren't available elsewhere.....I can't justify the XBONEX yet tbh...

Relevance?

AC is coming to PC, PS4 and XBOX...I am leaning towards buying a Vega GPU in August to play multiplat games at 4k 60fps tbh. It seems the most reasonable investment since I can play Forza, Gears, K.I, Recore and most of the xbox console exclusives on PC.. XBONEX would be much more attractive if there were some dangling new IP's and their wares weren't available elsewhere.....I can't justify the XBONEX yet tbh...

Curious, why a Vega GPU? Especially since I think the 1080 Ti is going to potentially be cheaper, while also potentially outperforming Vega? Why does it feel like Vega is taking forever and a day to release???? Seriously, it felt at the start of the year like this thing was right around the corner, and then Nvidia beats them to the punch with not one, but seemingly two new cards, one of which is dr. evil levels of expensive though. :)

It depends. If all buffers are aimed at 4K and you're sparse rendering/checerboarding them, then yes. Especially at typicla TV viewing distances. You're goign to get artifacts in motion, you're going to get softness in motion but it's a fine trade off for the performance gain. I'd happily make it on my 3440x1440p monitor if I had the choice in most games.

BUT as is often the case with the Pro, the buffer actually targets lower than 4K whether dynamically or not, then things are a bit different I think and my frosting anology is closer to the truth... well as close as frosting and cakes cna get to the the truth... (which is VERY close) :p

From here on out, all technical discussions in this thread shall be done with cake and frosting analogies. :)

So what say you, do you think the One X version is going to have some extra sprinkles compared to the PS4 Pro version or what? :p

Yeah, I googled it. Very frustrating... -_-

One other thing to add to that. I believe, and someone can correct me if I'm wrong, that this feature MIGHT be connected to the RPG/skill leveling system, where its effectiveness, and what it's able to see or show you, is dependant on how many skill points you spend.

spannicus

Relevance?

Got you. The price of xbox one X isnt unreasonable to others who dont own PCs though. For many there is only one place to play xbox exclusives and thats on console. Ive got a pretty nice PC i built 2 years ago with a 980ti. Sure that thing could power through games still but im not looking to spend 6 to 8 hundred on a better card than my 980ti. I understand you. For me its just having the console and preferring to play there over my PC. Sure everyones case is different.

cackhyena

Got you. The price of xbox one X isnt unreasonable to others who dont own PCs though. For many there is only one place to play xbox exclusives and thats on console. Ive got a pretty nice PC i built 2 years ago with a 980ti. Sure that thing could power through games still but im not looking to spend 6 to 8 hundred on a better card than my 980ti. I understand you. For me its just having the console and preferring to play there over my PC. Sure everyones case is different.
Will the 980ti still not beat what's in the One X? I have the same card, but my build is about five years old with a 3570k. I still feel like that beats the One X but I'm still getting it.

Lister

Banned
So what say you, do you think the One X version is going to have some extra sprinkles compared to the PS4 Pro version or what? :p

This might get me banned, but I'm going to say it anyway. I think it might be more a cheesecake situaiton. With strawberries on top.

spannicus

Will the 980ti still not beat what's in the One X? I have the same card, but my build is about five years old with a 3570k. I still feel like that beats the One X but I'm still getting it.
I would say the 980ti still beats whats in the X for sure by a long shot. That card is still a beast. Just prefer the console. In reference to my comment i was talking about upgrading in the near future. I would have to get a 1080ti, not to compete with the one x, but because its one of the best cards.

I have a GTX 1080 right now, and I'm STILL buying xbox one x. I think a lot of people overlook the fact that it isn't just people who don't have a powerful gaming pc that choose to play on consoles. I just enjoy the eco-system and the idea of being apart of it. Hell, I'm someone who gladly accepted the Xbox One version of many titles regardless of what they looked like on PC, so surely Xbox One X will have little trouble stepping up to the plate and filling in.

It's funny that we should fall on a 980 Ti discussion. I'm reminded of this quote from a dev on beyond3d late last year.

https://forum.beyond3d.com/posts/1944136/

Doom Vulkan patch gave RX 480 around 30% increase. Most of this came from GCN specific wave shuffle intrinsics and async compute. Console games have used these features extensively for years. 980 Ti (Maxwell) doesn't gain anything from async compute, and most PC devs will not be writing code with GPU specific intrinsics for it.

In addition to this, console games will be specially profiled and optimized for a single closed platform. Shader bottlenecks will be solved and workloads balanced to fill the GPU execution units precisely. I would say that closed platform gives at least 20% extra performance in top of these already listed gains. This is especially true for AAA console exclusives designed around the console GPU.

I'd say Scorpio matches 980 Ti pretty well. Even if it uses Polaris

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I 99% agree with you.

CB augmented 4K isn't frosting .. based on DF's video the only time they noticed CB artifacts were on the eagle during quick movement.

This is more like eating your cake but leaving the last piece for your little sibling even though u wanna eat it all.

thelastword

Banned
Curious, why a Vega GPU? Especially since I think the 1080 Ti is going to potentially be cheaper, while also potentially outperforming Vega? Why does it feel like Vega is taking forever and a day to release???? Seriously, it felt at the start of the year like this thing was right around the corner, and then Nvidia beats them to the punch with not one, but seemingly two new cards, one of which is dr. evil levels of expensive though. :)
I like their new arch and it's features, I'm really curious as to their SSD implementation as cache for games especially in titles that use megatextures or even Doom for that matter. I'm impressed even further by their high bandwidth cache system, which will significantly reduce latency whilst also supporting faster movement of large data sets in and from the graphics pipeline. Look at Geometry rendering on PRO for example, that will give significant gains in perf on titles which use such a rendering method.. I'm also thinking that we will see more implementations of even Checkerboard Rendering on PC as everybody loved how great it looked in WD2 on PC, and boy how much perf did that boost....

Everybody knows I'm a big fan with what AMD is doing with their enhanced CU's and pixel engine...All of that is geared towards pushing more data whilst improving perf...This is what I feel I should get behind...As for raw speed and Tflop count, the Vega card released yesterday or two days before is for deep learning and not for households per say, so they're more expensive. The gaming cards will be more efficient for gaming tasks and we can expect them to run at higher clocks too....I expect AMD to push their gaming Vega's at 1600-1700 MHZ and push 13-14TF, then I expect the non-reference cards to clock in at 1700-1800Mhz and push 15+TF. That will be enough for 4k 60fps, especially with all the improvements AMD has on deck in their new arch.

LSS::::

I think gaming Vega will be reasonably priced, it will be priced below all of NV's top products and outperform them on a dollar per perf ratio, just has been the case with Ryzen, epyc and soon thread-ripper. As for Gpu's, the 470 is still the best bang for your buck amongst all mid tier GPU's on the market, so it bodes well, what's another month if I've waited so long eh...

I came into this thread looking for more info on Assassin's Creed. Instead, I found people arguing about food analogies... NeoGaf.gif

spannicus

I have a GTX 1080 right now, and I'm STILL buying xbox one x. I think a lot of people overlook the fact that it isn't just people who don't have a powerful gaming pc that choose to play on consoles. I just enjoy the eco-system and the idea of being apart of it. Hell, I'm someone who gladly accepted the Xbox One version of many titles regardless of what they looked like on PC, so surely Xbox One X will have little trouble stepping up to the plate and filling in.
Yeah same here. Gotta say i love play anywhere. Bought most titles on x1 and played them at 1440p and 4k on my PC. After getting my 65 ks8000 i barely touch my PC now.

I like their new arch and it's features, I'm really curious as to their SSD implementation as cache for games especially in titles that use megatextures or even Doom for that matter. I'm impressed even further by their high bandwidth cache system, which will significantly reduce latency whilst also supporting faster movement of large data sets in and from the graphics pipeline. Look at Geometry rendering on PRO for example, that will give significant gains in perf on titles which use such a rendering method.. I'm also thinking that we will see more implementations of even Checkerboard Rendering on PC as everybody loved how great it looked in WD2 on PC, and boy how much perf did that boost....

Everybody knows I'm a big fan with what AMD is doing with their enhanced CU's and pixel engine...All of that is geared towards pushing more data whilst improving perf...This is what I feel I should get behind...As for raw speed and Tflop count, the Vega card released yesterday or two days before is for deep learning and not for households per say, so they're more expensive. The gaming cards will be more efficient for gaming tasks and we can expect them to run at higher clocks too....I expect AMD to push their gaming Vega's at 1600-1700 MHZ and push 13-14TF, then I expect the non-reference cards to clock in at 1700-1800Mhz and push 15+TF. That will be enough for 4k 60fps, especially with all the improvements AMD has on deck in their new arch.

LSS::::

I think gaming Vega will be reasonably priced, it will be priced below all of NV's top products and outperform them on a dollar per perf ratio, just has been the case with Ryzen, epyc and soon thread-ripper. As for Gpu's, the 470 is still the best bang for your buck amongst all mid tier GPU's on the market, so it bodes well, what's another month if I've waited so long eh...

Well said, it should definitely be interesting how the gaming equivalent part turns out. I'm surprised to this day just how much appears shrouded in mystery still. And on the checkerboarding for PC, more PC titles should absolutely be using it because it produces fantastic results. I believe even the PC version of Quantum Break uses it.

I came into this thread looking for more info on Assassin's Creed. Instead, I found people arguing about food analogies... NeoGaf.gif

We're not arguing. Our food analogy interactions have been very cordial.

Hawk269

From here on out, all technical discussions in this thread shall be done with cake and frosting analogies. :)

I think it is due to the HBM memory they want to use. While it will be really fast and it some good bandwidth, HBM is expensive and challenging to produce. Nvidia is rumored to be bypassing HBM now for the next round of GPU's since it is expensive and yields are not where they need to be.

I think it is due to the HBM memory they want to use. While it will be really fast and it some good bandwidth, HBM is expensive and challenging to produce. Nvidia is rumored to be bypassing HBM now for the next round of GPU's since it is expensive and yields are not where they need to be.

Not to get too far off topic, but I think I saw something recently where there's a new upcoming memory standard on the way that threatens HBM2, and Nvidia may end up using it because it might prove cheaper for similar memory performance?

We're not arguing. Our food analogy interactions have been very cordial.

Arguments do not cease being arguments based on the tone or mood of the interaction.

ar·gue
ˈärɡyo͞o/Submit
verb
give reasons or cite evidence in support of an idea, action, or theory, typically with the aim of persuading others to share one's view.

Arguments do not cease being arguments based on the tone or mood of the interaction.

touche
giphy.gif

uL55Bvu.jpg

I don't know if I'd say that it being 4K checkerboard on both counts as them going for parity. That's like the best you could possibly hope for on both. Would we even want this kind of game to be native 4K on Xbox One X, knowing that it might prevent the game from doing other things technically? And if the PS4 Pro hits 2160p checkerboard, and does so consistently enough, or as consistently as the One X, then that's not artificial parity, that's Ubisoft doing an absolutely incredible job. Also, for what it's worth, df said they didn't see any signs of it going below 4K checkered on One X, and a dev also told me that what I was playing wasn't dropping below that mark either. The dev never told me it was checkered though. I only learned that on the internet.

Head.spawn

I know, I was literally there playing it at both xbox fanfest Monday night (same place they held their press briefing), and again a few times on the E3 show floor. I played no other title more than I played this at E3.

The developer I spoke to at xbox fanfest confirmed that the extra capability of the dev kit wasn't somehow showing a game different from the one you'll see on release. In fact, he suggested it's likely to end up better than what I was playing since Microsoft are still making improvements to the development environment which everyone expects, on top of the fact that their game is still in Alpha..

This is a picture I took prior to playing at the xbox fanfest event the monday night before E3.

It was on the table next to each dev kit, so I picked one up to take a picture and make sure I was ready once controller was in hand. :D

Thanks for clarification on that, I was literally just about to ask if anyone knew either way.

With Ubisoft probably starting with sparse rendering for PC and XboneX and then checkerboarding for the Pro build.
It depends. If all buffers are aimed at 4K and you're sparse rendering/checerboarding them, then yes.
Sparse rendering and checkerboarding aren't different alternatives. One is a superset of the other.

Also, we know that both One X and Pro will use CBR for Assassin's Creed Origins.

No, not unless it gets patched. One X automatically improves resolution and framerate on games where those vary, but it can't force either thing to go higher than the original target. So Black Flag won't go above 900p, and it won't go above 30fps. Patched-in One X support would be necessary to remove these ceilings.

BUT as is often the case with the Pro, the buffer actually targets lower than 4K whether dynamically or not, then things are a bit different I think....
Actually, 4K is the most common buffer size on PS4 Pro. I'd have to recheck, but I believe 4K buffers are in fact the majority of all titles with increased resolution. (Of course, most games in general are still 1080p, which will also be the case for One X.)

Hawk269

Not to get too far off topic, but I think I saw something recently where there's a new upcoming memory standard on the way that threatens HBM2, and Nvidia may end up using it because it might prove cheaper for similar memory performance?

It is GDDR6 or something like that. Supposed to be very fast, but not a lot of details about it that I have read so far.

As I understand it, there are too many issues with GPUs and drivers that don’t allow developers to reliably specify MSAA subpixel sample locations. It’s much more straightforward when you’ve got fixed hardware specs that had CBR in mind.

Native 4k? Almost certainly not. Geometry rendering or checkerboard rendering? Definitely. Horizon Zero Dawn pushes the PS4 plenty hard and renders at 2160c on Pro.

HZD is a great example, probably the best jump of any Pro support.

However, most of the games fall under the 1800c or below, and I don't think any game running on 900p on base Ps4 made to 2160c on Pro.

AC however, usually runs 900p on Ps4, and it's 2160c on xbonex, hence what I said by being on it's own a bigger resolution boost over everything on Pro yet.
Yeah, Sony offers the best IPTV service right now, but you don't need specific hardware and inputs to run it, as Ethernet ports has been standard on consoles for more than a decade.....OTOH, Media and TV was a big pitch from MS, especially with Kinect integration..as they used voiceovers to put the xbox on, change channels, snap, skype etc...all in one fell swoop.. It was all the media/journalists spoke about prior to XB1's launch, but the execution was so poor, people got tired of trying it and it failed...Usually gimmicks never last much beyond the first hour or first day or so anyway and MS backtracked from there...

As for AC, I have no problems with AC using checkerboarded....I have a problem with Phil Spencer saying that the XBONEX was a "TRUE 4k" console and that those checkerboarded methods the other console is using is not going to be the way of the XBONEX....which proved false very quickly...

Only if you want to be completely hung up on two specific words, and ignore what he really said.

For instance, a 2160c game on xbonex and 1800c on Pro would still prove him right.

Lady Gaia

Bingo. It's a tech thread. The whole point is to discuss the technology. The game looks intriguing enough on its own, hopefully it strikes a healthier balance of aggressive tech and solid gameplay than Unity did. It would be nice if it shipped in better shape, too.

Policing threads is getting tiring. If you feel there's a violation of NeoGAF's policy, contact a mod. There's no rule that requires discussion to be limited to people planning on buying the relevant product, though I can sympathize with the desire to keep people from simply randomizing threads or coming in with a console warrior mentality — no matter what platform they're trying to champion.

There's no point in a forum if we can't have a reasonable discussion about technology and the relative strengths / weaknesses of techniques and hardware designs. Especially in a Digital Foundry thread! How systems stack up against marketing claims and positioning is absolutely relevant. This forum isn't an echo chamber or a marketing puff piece, it's an enthusiast forum that has historically done a great of keeping toxicity to a minimum.

And Crackdown 3 runs at an adaptive resolution in MP. So not even all of MS's games keep this standard.

Which, I want to make clear again, is fine. Ruffian isn't doing anything wrong, nor is the X a bad system for this. The only thing that actually bothers me here is the bad mouthing of these techniques by MS, while they are employing them. "True 4K" is a marketing buzz term that means nothing for the X, and it shouldn't be parroted by anyone.

I thought they didn't give details on Crackdown's MP until games on. Or are you talking about something you heard?

As for AC, I have no problems with AC using checkerboarded....I have a problem with Phil Spencer saying that the XBONEX was a "TRUE 4k" console and that those checkerboarded methods the other console is using is not going to be the way of the XBONEX....which proved false very quickly...

I haven't really followed Phil's interviews lately, but is this really what he's said? I've been taking their claims of "True 4K" as a marketing term that helps differentiate Xbox One X from the upscaled 4K they offer on the One S. I've seen a few headlines where he talked up their methods vs PS4 Pro, but I'd be curious to see if he actually promised native 4K for all games.

However, most of the games fall under the 1800c or below....
But only because most games don't have any resolution bump at all (which will also be true for One X). Of the games that do, the majority are 4K of some kind.

...and I don't think any game running on 900p on base Ps4 made to 2160c on Pro.
Again, this is true but basically because there are very few 900p games on standard PS4 to start with. There are a couple examples that almost certainly could be 2160c (though they made different choices).

Lady Gaia

I'd be curious to see if he actually promised native 4K for all games.

I'm sure he never promised it, just let the implication linger so people's imagination could run wild. Just as Sony did with "There are two words you're going to hear a lot of when it comes to PS4 and together, they change the game: 1080p. 60fps." Sometimes it's intentional and sometimes it just happens as a result of trying to frame something in the best possible light. At some point the reality can be objectively measured and discussed.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Again, this is true but basically because there are very few 900p games on standard PS4 to start with. There are a couple examples that almost certainly could be 2160c (though they made different choices).

The Witness goes from 900p to native 4K on PS4 (optionally, with a drop to 30 FPS).

MilkyJoe

Are you deliberately being thick? Everyone here knows the devs can use the power as they wish. 4k medium or 480p real life, MS don't care.

It does enough games in true 4K and truth be told the only people that care about it are the warriors, all of us that are actually going to buy one would rather ramp up the visuals than waste resources chasing 4K.

Top Bottom