• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Assassin creed origins Xbox one x tech first look.

KageMaru

And Crackdown 3 runs at an adaptive resolution in MP. So not even all of MS's games keep this standard.

Which, I want to make clear again, is fine. Ruffian isn't doing anything wrong, nor is the X a bad system for this. The only thing that actually bothers me here is the bad mouthing of these techniques by MS, while they are employing them. "True 4K" is a marketing buzz term that means nothing for the X, and it shouldn't be parroted by anyone.

Yup, they've said recently that they aren't forcing any requirements on 1st party titles. It's all just a marketing tag line they use to promote their system, no different than any other system in the past.

I always thought the "true 4K" claim was about that the X can run games at "real 4k". Compared to the Xbox One S with its "upscaled 4K" narrative they always talked about. So that a difference is known between the two consoles. Think alot of people thought (or wanted) it to be a jab towards PS4 Pro.

They most definitely were aiming that slogan at the competition but again it makes sense because they need to be able to differentiate their product somehow. If the Pro never existed, there's a good chance they would just be calling the X a 4K system instead of a True 4K system.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Time for some AC again. Cant wait.

AnotherMiniatureHorsemouse.gif

AccomplishedSomberCalf.gif

UncommonEmbellishedFlycatcher.gif
Holy hell.

It looks absolutely gorgeous! The more I see and read of this game is making it a day one buy!

Couldnt really give a flying fuck what the resolution outputs at, I just know that the X1 should have the best performing (console) version and for open world titles, thats all I really care about.

I always thought the "true 4K" claim was about that the X can run games at "real 4k". Compared to the Xbox One S with its "upscaled 4K" narrative they always talked about. So that a difference is known between the two consoles. Think alot of people thought (or wanted) it to be a jab towards PS4 Pro.

Oh we're playing this game now? Completely ignoring Spencer's comments about "the other guys" not doing what their version of True 4K is but in reality being exactly the same?

This is fun

Theorry

Oh we're playing this game now? Completely ignoring Spencer's comments about "the other guys" not doing what their version of True 4K is but in reality being exactly the same?

This is fun

I am not doing anything. I dont bother with that stuff. Just saying how i interpreted it from day one when they announced it a year ago.

AerialAir

Banned
Can't compare Nintendo with Sony and MS. Sony and MS has always been about power and pushing the limits of console gaming. So it does matter. If it didn't matter why did Sony come out with the pro to begin with. Why were they called the PS4 the most powerful console etc...

Both the GameCube and the Xbox were vastly more powerful than the Playstation 2, but that didn't stop the PS2 from being the best-selling console of all time. The reason for that is that all the games that were hyped and that everyone wanted to play were on the PS2. I know it's been a long time but I still think that a console's library is much more important than it's power, which is (one of) the reason a lot of people still buy a console even though they already have or have the ability to buy a much more powerful PC.

netBuff

I am not doing anything. I dont bother with that stuff. Just saying how i interpreted it from day one when they announced it a year ago.

It was obviously meant to be taken as a jab against the PS4 Pro. This is marketing, after all. The fact Xbonx isn't really powerful enough for True 4K in most games either doesn't matter to their marketing department.

Again, that's running on a damn console, but looks like a tricked out PC. Really excited about this console and this game.

Oh, and you haven't even seen it running in HDR yet!

Seems hyperbolic, the PC version is bound to look much better. The interesting question is: How is the PS4 Pro version going to look and run? Let's hope developers don't go for artificial Xbonx/PS4 Pro parity.

WiseguyMVP

It's multiplatform...what did some of you expect?

I don't mind as long as they don't gimp these games too much. I also don't think we'll see the Xbox/PS2 era discrepancies in games where they actually make 2 seperate games because of the power differences. (Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, etc)

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
If you ignore the player and only pay attention to what's further away from the player, off into the distance, it becomes even more impressive.

Such great image quality and fantastic artwork.
Yea they just need to polish up the character models and their golden. The environments are just so gorgeous.
30 frames
Genuinely who was expecting a console to run any modern AC game world at 60fps?

Checkerboad 4k is fine with me. It looks damn good. This is also the first AC I'm interested in since the early games.

Horse animations look a bit off though.

thelastword

Banned
Microsoft has never, to my knowledge, drawn a line in the sand in any shape or form that suggested they would never utilize such techniques on Xbox One X. The primary commitment was that games being made by Microsoft, that they're launching in the scorpio time-frame, they will make sure they can natively render at 4K.
I am not the one to keep on punishing MS for an indiscretion, and I can sympathize with their position that they need to hit the XBONEX out the park, but frankly it's not me doing the damage to how the XBONEX will be looked at or perceived.....It is them, it's the games... they're the ones responsible for selling the console....So trying to justify the extra $100.00 by saying this...

Phil Spencer said:
This is a true 4K console. If you just look at the specs of what this box is, it's in a different league than any other console that's out there. When I think about techniques to somehow manufacture a 4K screen like what some other consoles try to do, this is different than that.

...is going to bite you in the ass, because whereas the competition is doing their first party games at CB resolutions, they're 100.00 less and who knows, by the time XBONEX rolls out it could be $350.00 for the holidays. This is where marketing must be better by MS, in essence, don't tout things you know you cannot explicitly maintain....Don't speak a big game like; we're not using the techniques that this other console is using, when a day later your console is doing the vey thing...

How you message your product is important, if people think you're just trying to be a used car salesman in your approach, they're likely to call you out...and so you can't misrepresent what the system will or won't do and then ask people to move on, it's their money and they will remember your tactics and take note...It's a double whammy situation tbh....You cannot prop your system like it's a GTX 1070 or more and when it doesn't live up, you say "it still looks good eh" , you cannot put down CB in a statement and later on say "It's 4k CB" or 8 million pixels so it's still 4k, because eventually an XBONEX game will be at 1800CB and below.....

Look at Ark, the day after MS's presser some people were saying that game would render at 4k 60fps and I'm saying but how? I'm just showing you how Spencer's words will cause people to have appreciated expectations from the console, when in fact it will not be as powerful as the marketing speak....Then it's back down to earth, when actual results and rez counts come in, only now on earth the console is $500.00 for a mid gen refresh and ARK will still be running at 1080p at sub 60fps.... (looking at how much more powerful PC's run this at 1080p)...

So what justifies the additional money against the competition. They both have native 4k games at 30fps and 60fps, they both have checkerboarded games, they will both have dynamic resolution games. Is it the UHD then, I don't think so, is it the extra ram? not on it's own, is it the enhanced CPU, NO...It has to be the games...Messages of TRUE 4k mean little, Messages of 4k bluray mean nothing if you don't have the new IP's to push a console, especially a mid gen refresh at $500.00 halfway through the console cycle...

This is about MS stumbling over themselves with their messaging, it will cause their demise (at least for the rest of the generation when xbonex launches)...Look at how people were already drinking the enhanced CPU coolaid and how much more advanced it is over a typical Jaguar SOC, but here we are and Destiny is still at 30fps, Gears 4 which you tout so much is still 30fps in the campaign, Ark will be a revelation when it launches tbh...So when you name games like Gears and say it runs at 4k, it's not surprising because it runs at 4k 30fps on an RX 480 at Ultra and some elements will still be tuned down on account of the CPU in XBONEX. It's about 40fps average on a RX580.....Apex runs 4k 60fps on Rx 480/580 as well, so if Forza is running at 4k on XBONEX it's not surprising...What will surprise me is if Halo 5 runs at 4k 60fps on the XBONEX, it's running just above 720p on a XB1 and I'll tell you now, there's no way it will run at 4k native, so this is a first party game you can check out of the TRUE 4K insignia, conspicuously absent from the MS presser at that, so here's your reason....

Here's what I'm saying Senju, I have no problems playing these games at 4k or CB4K on the XBONEX at ultra presets or better fidelity over XB1...They will look extremely better over XB1, so I'm saying MS should try and sell this console from that perspective. True it will not be all that's necessary, they really have to bring in the new IP's and yes, $500.00 will be a hurdle and a big one.....and we have to be honest about it, they can shout UHD till doomsday, that wont move consoles, just like Kinect didn't do anything to dent the competition. I fear MS is not as prepared as they should be with the XBONEX, signing new IP's now (in 2017) wont cut it, that should have been done 3 years ago....if only now, when are we going to get these games? in 2-3 years, by then the PS5 and XB2 will be upon us and MS will just shift those IP's (whatever they are, to the new xbox anyway). Sadly they need new iP's to sell this $500.00 dollar console now (A 4k Gears, Halo or a 4k Forza won't cut it)... or else we will be looking at a $400-$350 Xbonex by June next year where MS will be taking a hit...

MilkyJoe

Do you think the average customer has any idea who Phil Spencer is or what he said?

It's going to be a case of which is the best, which can play X game, how much have I got to spend. The person that will tell them that works behind the counter.

leeh

**snip this long over complicated this post**
Holy moly.

It's a box which offers a huge amount of power in a form factor that is no where achievable for $500 in a PC.

It will have the best multi-plats by quite a margin, people know it's the most powerful, and will sell well.

It was playable on a devkit on the floor.
untitledhsuff.png

I know, I was literally there playing it at both xbox fanfest Monday night (same place they held their press briefing), and again a few times on the E3 show floor. I played no other title more than I played this at E3.

The developer I spoke to at xbox fanfest confirmed that the extra capability of the dev kit wasn't somehow showing a game different from the one you'll see on release. In fact, he suggested it's likely to end up better than what I was playing since Microsoft are still making improvements to the development environment which everyone expects, on top of the fact that their game is still in Alpha..

This is a picture I took prior to playing at the xbox fanfest event the monday night before E3.

FzqTwOVBoLwa_HNPx96TBP-Tq72_zWJ2IfxMFlzPMYxeHWRRs5qeNXUlQOu1q1Bk3ltCewk5flKJQbvXicozBT1npoOnF_juPih9UPk4gptGvhNBZOh9l7AiKNi3U9GmXvb0HAVgWwfMHGoC5-6fVzomCg41vEoZdP_KNGQPJgy-75F9kDVwX8PuhZccLNeSbXqcwtjUqiWI6sch5VNdWFL9FOlsnWm6CXreRxK8Qc8OHcXWJ90cEXROz2ecOS1HW8hDcp1lS7idwjZAv28LJCqDNP4c4vVBiLfGTMcrWhVuNNnRriTWSW-TOZfX8MAV5AyXNM301PKtRBpBgoIYCmd-W99gqdCqEeFto2Xk6JrxtoTHCt0OTxjQu6bL78ukZAbLL1A0LTqurAtiD2wEW6iiECCp_qxRwXFOLv-khm46tb_8_NBoIvZ-OxmsvxjVppTj0g3Pc4UgVbpCTLflFg3dUBqnTZkJEsNxOLjOR4qtwr5bzqulMrEXzjZGScI5qYq3nWHu1oqlm1YW2E1GMR8NoYuyKf6l48oMEA2pwHMF8nBc1qplm03h8vdKeE8YfdqVTA8dKAdRj93xE2-ridZ0to0sj0jrp0jkhWdt0C43k6yS1ZVSOg=w690-h920-no

It was on the table next to each dev kit, so I picked one up to take a picture and make sure I was ready once controller was in hand. :D

Prithee Be Careful

Industry Professional
Holy moly.

It's a box which offers a huge amount of power in a form factor that is no where achievable for $500 in a PC.

It will have the best multi-plats by quite a margin, people know it's the most powerful, and will sell well.

As someone else said earlier there's little guarantee that development teams will alot significant resources to the smallest install base. More likely Pro/X1X will be regarded as a single target render and X1X will get perhaps a small res boost and better framerates - a similar but reverse situation to X1/PS4.

That it is capable of much more is without doubt, but unlocking all that extra power takes dev time and you've got to wonder if that's worth the time and effort for what will be a relatively small user base.

The question for the consumer is whether the gains justify the means... as with PS4 Pro the most compelling implementations will come from first party games and that's a whole other problem for MS.

flkraven

I know, I was literally there playing it at both xbox fanfest Monday night (same place they held their press briefing), and again a few times on the E3 show floor. I played no other title more than I played this at E3.

The developer I spoke to at xbox fanfest confirmed that the extra capability of the dev kit wasn't somehow showing a game different from the one you'll see on release. In fact, he suggested it's likely to end up better than what I was playing since Microsoft are still making improvements to the development environment which everyone expects, on top of the fact that their game is still in Alpha..

This is a picture I took prior to playing at the xbox fanfest event the monday night before E3.

FzqTwOVBoLwa_HNPx96TBP-Tq72_zWJ2IfxMFlzPMYxeHWRRs5qeNXUlQOu1q1Bk3ltCewk5flKJQbvXicozBT1npoOnF_juPih9UPk4gptGvhNBZOh9l7AiKNi3U9GmXvb0HAVgWwfMHGoC5-6fVzomCg41vEoZdP_KNGQPJgy-75F9kDVwX8PuhZccLNeSbXqcwtjUqiWI6sch5VNdWFL9FOlsnWm6CXreRxK8Qc8OHcXWJ90cEXROz2ecOS1HW8hDcp1lS7idwjZAv28LJCqDNP4c4vVBiLfGTMcrWhVuNNnRriTWSW-TOZfX8MAV5AyXNM301PKtRBpBgoIYCmd-W99gqdCqEeFto2Xk6JrxtoTHCt0OTxjQu6bL78ukZAbLL1A0LTqurAtiD2wEW6iiECCp_qxRwXFOLv-khm46tb_8_NBoIvZ-OxmsvxjVppTj0g3Pc4UgVbpCTLflFg3dUBqnTZkJEsNxOLjOR4qtwr5bzqulMrEXzjZGScI5qYq3nWHu1oqlm1YW2E1GMR8NoYuyKf6l48oMEA2pwHMF8nBc1qplm03h8vdKeE8YfdqVTA8dKAdRj93xE2-ridZ0to0sj0jrp0jkhWdt0C43k6yS1ZVSOg=w690-h920-no

It was on the table next to each dev kit, so I picked one up to take a picture and make sure I was ready once controller was in hand. :D

Oh God....

Please don't tell me that 'Animus Pulse' on the left stick is a 'ping' for interesting/relevant items in an area. That shit literally ruins games for me. It was in Dragon Age Inquisition and I felt obligated to constantly ping every few steps because this type of system creates an excuse for devs to 'hide' things in the environment than can only be 'revealed' by pinging. If you don't want to miss something, constantly ping.

If that is what 'Animus Pulse' is, then I'm out.

MaulerX

Both the GameCube and the Xbox were vastly more powerful than the Playstation 2, but that didn't stop the PS2 from being the best-selling console of all time. The reason for that is that all the games that were hyped and that everyone wanted to play were on the PS2. I know it's been a long time but I still think that a console's library is much more important than it's power, which is (one of) the reason a lot of people still buy a console even though they already have or have the ability to buy a much more powerful PC.

The OG Xbox launched almost two years after the PS2. It had zero chance of getting even close to PS2 sales regardless.

Lister

Banned
More likely Pro/X1X will be regarded as a single target render and X1X will get perhaps a small res boost and better framerates - a similar but reverse situation to X1/PS4.

This too is unlikely.

MOST likely will be that the PC will be the main target for high end presentation, as it usually is, and the XboneX and PS4 Pro will be derived from the scalability baked into that version.

With Ubisoft probably starting with sparse rendering for PC and XboneX and then checkerboarding for the Pro build.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
It is 4K

4K is a resolution & the resolution is 4K, it's just being achieved in a more efficient/cheaper way.

4K is a range of resolutions. It's one label with different amounts of pixels within. For some, it matters, for others, they can't tell the difference. We know the XBOX One X is more powerful than PS4 Pro. Anyone expecting AAA or near AAA titles to be native 4K and/or 60FPS on a PS4 Pro is fooling themselves. It's a bit more possible with the XBOX One X, but, still will mostly fail to be the case.

I still repeat, people should buy what they want and justify it to no one. Be happy with what you buy and move on.

I'm starting to associate the Sony, XBOX, and "other" console owner's behaviors with those of political parties and independent parties. Let it go.

As someone else said earlier there's little guarantee that development teams will alot significant resources to the smallest install base. Morel ikely Pro/X1X will be regarded as a single target render and X1X will get perhaps a small res boost and betterframerates.

That it is capable of much more is without doubt, but unlocking all that extra power takes dev time and you've got to wonder if that's worth the time and effort for what will be a relatively small user base.

The question for the consumer is whether the gains justify the means... as with PS4 Pro the most compelling implementations will come from first party games and that's a whole other problem for MS.

That won't really be an issue. Most games are being made on PC also. Some of the benefits of that PC version, Xbox One X will benefit from naturally. It doesn't need to be able to do everything thing the PC version can do, only what it can handle, which for the large majority of gamers will be more than enough to satisfy. Even then, many game engines are designed with features beyond what normally ships with the console releases anyway due to performance concerns. What I heard from more than a few devs at E3 was that what will ensure the Xbox One X's capabilities are well taken advantage of is the dev kit. Seems kind of a "duh" thing to say, but there was a lot of praise for that dev kit at E3, A LOT.

One constant I kept hearing as to why we shouldn't be all that worried about One X being taken advantage of is the fact that they're able to test new things and see how it works far faster than they were able to before. They especially stress the 24GB of ram in the dev kit, and how important that will be to the development process. TLDR version: Devs really, really love the dev kit, and that's apparently great news for us.

Oh God....

Please don't tell me that 'Animus Pulse' on the left stick is a 'ping' for interesting/relevant items in an area. That shit literally ruins games for me. It was in Dragon Age Inquisition and I felt obligated to constantly ping every few steps because this type of system creates an excuse for devs to 'hide' things in the environment than can only be 'revealed' by pinging. If you don't want to miss something, constantly ping.

If that is what 'Animus Pulse' is, then I'm out.

Honestly, I never really tried it, but I think I saw other people use it and it didn't seem consistent with what it did at a given point in time, like maybe it's story/context sensitive or something, don't know.

MilkyJoe

As someone else said earlier there's little guarantee that development teams will alot significant resources to the smallest install base. More likely Pro/X1X will be regarded as a single target render and X1X will get perhaps a small res boost and better framerates - a similar but reverse situation to X1/PS4.

Well the assets are already for the taking as there is another more powerful platform you are forgetting about.

But in reality, I expect to see mostly the same with a resolution difference.

But saying that devs have said it's straight forward, great tools and didn't one of the games makers manage a port in 2 hours?

thelastword

Banned
Really... You're still talking about Kinect functionality and one guide as being a huge Xbox focus... Lol.. Kinect is all but dead and one guide is just a feature. This my friend is reaching...

MS is doing a spectacular job of listening to their fan base. They've redesigned the hub in the XB1, focused on backwards compatiblity, introduces play anywhere, dropped Kinect support, included a 4K BR drive (which lot of people want), and now introduced completely new hardware. They just need to get their first party stuff together, and included more diverse games.

Regardless of what Phil said... They can not control the 3rd party developers.. Sony is in the same boat with games that don't have 4k or performance improvements on the PS Pro.

On top of this AC is an ALPHA build... Who know what it will be running at by the end of development? This to me is a problem with sites doing tech reviews on alpha build of games... It is never representative of the finally product, yet many act like it is.
The fanbase is asking for new IP's for a minute now, I'm not sure they are listening as you say, but maybe it is that you are just satisfied with their output and that's fair enough...

As for Kinect, yes Kinect is gone, but it was used as a tool to push media on a couch, you don't have to use the remote to change tv, play your tunes and vids etc...etc...

Do you think the average customer has any idea who Phil Spencer is or what he said?

It's going to be a case of which is the best, which can play X game, how much have I got to spend. The person that will tell them that works behind the counter.
Millions watched the presser, I'm sure they're not all hardcore or pro gamers.. There are many people who watch the presser and they only wanted to see one game, maybe the next Halo or something....and btw news like that goes around...

That's not even the big thing, I think guys like Phil are just compounding the issue with bad PR.. The XBONEX is already going to have a tough time without much in new iP's and at that pricepoint, but if you feel confident that it will do well, I guess we shall see...

Looks good in these gifs, I like the animations...I criticized some elements of it's graphics because, there are some areas where backgrounds are a bit bland and lacking detail..The thing about AC is that it's highs will be amazing, but the lows can be a bit jarring.. At least the foliage in these gifs look better than what was shown at E3 tbh....but maybe that's because it's at sunset...I like the glint over the water.

It was obviously meant to be taken as a jab against the PS4 Pro. This is marketing, after all. The fact Xbonx isn't really powerful enough for True 4K in most games either doesn't matter to their marketing department.

Seems hyperbolic, the PC version is bound to look much better. The interesting question is: How is the PS4 Pro version going to look and run? Let's hope developers don't go for artificial Xbonx/PS4 Pro parity.

Surely PC version will look better, but enough for people playing a game that looks like that to feel like they're missing out? Doubt it. And on PS4 Pro, I fully expect it to look great also. They have a higher baseline than these consoles to begin with. So they will give each console what it can handle, and not a thing more. If the One X versions happens to have a few extra tricks that wouldn't be because Ubisoft went out of their way to do such a thing. It will be because they had already built their game with that stuff in mind to begin with, and One X is fortunate enough to be able to take advantage of it at a certain resolution, graphics and performance level. I really only heard ONE instance of devs calling out another studio for intentionally gimping One X, but that would derail this thread. :p

I was wondering why something from Digital Foundry about an upcoming game has so many pages. I should have known. This is only going to get worse once the console actually comes out, I bet.

I was wondering why something from Digital Foundry about an upcoming game has so many pages. I should have known. This is only going to get worse once the console actually comes out, I bet.

Well, to be honest, this is only a later trend. This thread, up until the last few pages, has been about genuine interest in the game from what I've read.

Hawk269

I remember reading an interview with Phil or someone from the MS team, but they suggested that devs should aim high on the dev kit and then scale down as needed for Xbox One X and Xbox One. The name of the game going forward imho is going to be scalability with engines. We already see a lot of this with PC games and how they can run on a piece of shit GPU and a Titan X.

Top Bottom