• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

vpance

That doesn't change the fact that they're able to use that costly 4xMSAA because of the extra GPU headroom afforded by the 1920x800 resolution, as your own post indicates.

I know that. I'm just saying 1920x800 4xMSAA is still commendable, especially considering many full 1080p console games these days run at 30FPS PP AA with drops.

LostDonkey

Yeah, it pixel counts at 1080p which is why it works.

Letter-boxing at 1920x800 allowed them to avoid the real issue with lower resolutions and fixed pixel displays. 1600x900 would look just fine on a 1600x900 monitor, for instance, but when you scale it to 1080p, it becomes much softer due to scaling artefacts.

So The Order really shouldn't be used as an example of double standards, as some people have attempted, since it misses why lower resolutions are a problem in the first place.

OK cool, thanks for the reply.

zsynqx

I think there's a better way to compromise though, while still making it look more natural. You snap the camera in immediately when you press the trigger, and you immediately have control of the aim, and the character animates into position lagging behind the camera/control a bit. It's theoretically the same compromise to provide responsiveness, only the cheat is that you are aiming/shooting a few frames before the character model is actually in the aiming position, rather than a cheat where the character instantly jumps to the aiming position.

I agree that sounds good in theory.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Pretty sure the game will look good once released, lets wait and see.

The game looks amazing judging from those two videos, lots of post processing effects, film grain, and good anti-aliasing.
Obviously it would have been nicer to have it render at 1080p, but even then it wouldn't have had the sharpness of 1080p due to all the filmic effects going on.

kpaadet

DF are praising the game looks, Dark here think it's the best looking game on XB1, why we aren't focusing on this game's achievements at least as much as we focus on this game's flaws?

You aren't really a tech lover if all you do is repeat 720P!!1 and not giving credit and admiring the good things as well.

I'm not telling you to ignore this number but at least give Remedy credit about some of their achievements with this game, the crazy effects, the geometry transformations, the fidelity in general, many cool shit in this game.
It is indeed a great looking game, personally I find the resolution interesting because Remedy explicitly said it would be 1080p on Xbox One. Let's wait and see what the retail version is, but if it turns out to be 720p then Remedy definitely have egg on their face.

etta

my hard graphic balls
DF are praising the game looks, Dark here think it's the best looking game on XB1, why we aren't focusing on this game's achievements at least as much as we focus on this game's flaws?

You aren't really a tech lover if all you do is repeat 720P!!1 and not giving credit and admiring the good things as well.

I'm not telling you to ignore this number but at least give Remedy credit about some of their achievements with this game, the crazy effects, the geometry transformations, the fidelity in general, many cool shit in this game.
And the global illumination implementation looks fantastic, easily in the top of what we've seen on consoles.

demigod

*watches 1080p gameplay videos
"I can't believe this is console footage, it looks so good !"
*reads numbers on DF hands-on
"This is unacceptable, it looks like shit !"

I recall you and a few others said this game looks better than Uncharted 4. Oh how we went from "This game has better IQ than UC4" to its all about the gameplay and "At least the gameplay is better than The Order 1886".

I do admit the time shift looks good, 720p explains how they got it to work so good. FPS drops are bad but the worse thing of all is screen tearing. I'll wait until this hits Steam before buying it, not touching Windows Store.

PrinceKee

For a 720p game it looks really clean to me. Not going to effect my enjoyment of the game because it's not native 1080p. Even though it is disappointing an exclusive isn't running at a higher resolution...

-griffy-

Banned
I agree that sounds good in theory.

I hate to invoke any other game in this thread since people get so touchy, but I just checked and that's essentially how Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4 do it. The aim snaps in very quick, and the character goes through a few frames of animation bringing the gun up.

For a 720p game it looks really clean to me. Not going to effect my enjoyment of the game because it's not native 1080p. Even though it is disappointing an exclusive isn't running at a higher resolution...

Hmmmm I don't think it's coming to steam, MS is the publisher so it might only remain on there.

NeoRaider

I really don't see what's the problem if game looks good. And it does.
I mean would it be better if it was 1080p? (720p is still not confirmed afaik) I guess it would. But does it looks bad as it is? No, it doesn't.

Everyone that got a chance to play the game said that it looks very impressive.

Not dismissing johns creditinals by any means, I was under the impression the event in question was to try the first chapter and a bit of the second, so how was a proper analysis done in that timeframe and in that environment with other people playing also? Pardon my ignorance but thought these foundry pieces are done with the appropriate tools, with final release and wherever John and the guys do them? Was you there John ?

Pif

Banned
Many outlets quoted the dev claiming the aim was for 1080p30.

Still looks one of the most amazing games I've seen lately.

Only this and Uncharted 4 stand a chance to dethrone The Order, on consoles.

zsynqx

I hate to invoke any other game in this thread since people get so touchy, but I just checked and that's essentially how Rise of the Tomb Raider and Uncharted 4 do it. The aim snaps in very quick, and the character goes through a few frames of animation bringing the gun up.

But those games seem far less snappy than Quantum Break, which has all the quick dashes and time powers. That might prevent them from doing it that way; I dunno :p

Tbh I didn't even notice it until people in this thread pointed it out. Now watching the footage I can't unsee it lol. I guess it will be less noticeable when you are playing the game yourself.

GrayChild

720p is not that huge of a problem considering that Remedy prioritize effects over resolution. However the mentioned FPS dips and screen tearing will surely have a negative effect on the actual gameplay.

Also, considering the GIF that was posted above, even the animations and bullet physics do not look that impressive.

That image quality is actually quite impressive if it is indeed 720p.

The game looks so dull though, I can't see this being a big seller. 2 million across both platforms if they are lucky IMO.

IJoel

The media they've released looks fantastic, so I've no problem with the methods they've used to achieve that. Also we're getting the PC version with the XO version.

Pif

Banned

The game looks so dull though
, I can't see this being a big seller. 2 million across both platforms if they are lucky IMO.

The game looks sick. Like a Max Payne on steroids. Who can't be pumped for that?

OKK

I bet they would be pretty pleased with 2 million tbh.
2 million is considered a success in modern, high profile, triple-A games? That sounds unlikely. Especially considering the long development cycle and integration of the TV-series.

RE_Player

The game looks great so I don't care about 720p.

That being said slightly off topic how on Earth could a rumoured PS4.5 and a revision of the Xbox One play games at 4K when these systems can barely hit 900p/1080p? That's the pill I find hard to swallow after Patrick Klepek's Kotaku article.

That seems very low for a game which likely has a very big budget (60+M USD$).

2 million is considered a success in modern, high profile, triple-A games? That sounds unlikely. Especially considering the long development cycle and integration of the TV-series.

Well we don't know their budget/how much it costs... although it has no multiplayer stuff etc (I'm sure Shawn Ashmore isnt cheap though). Looking at other games on the market at the moment, exclusives or otherwise I'm not sure i'd be expecting/needing much higher tbh

The game looks so dull though, I can't see this being a big seller. 2 million across both platforms if they are lucky IMO.

The gameplay shown is from the beginning of the game when
none of the interesting things happen.

Kezen

Banned
Well we don't know their budget/how much it costs... although it has no multiplayer stuff etc (I'm sure Shawn Ashmore isnt cheap though). Looking at other games on the market at the moment, exclusives or otherwise I'm not sure i'd be expecting/needing much higher tbh

I was primarily basing my estimation on the fact that this game has sky high production values. I'm not even counting the low-key TV stuff but that alone as well must be costly.

Alienfan

Love how people actually need to be told what resolution the game runs at, because they can't figure it for themselves. A week back people were saying it's one of the best looking console games this year, now people are all of a sudden "disappointed", as if knowing what resolution the game is running at completely changes everything.

Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me if this game is pushing $100 million dollars in budget. What with the 4 + year development time, TV component and known actors, plus marketing campaign. These kind of budgets are not uncommon for big games.

2 million sales and they would be roughly breaking even. AAA game development is a tough business these days.

nib95

Banned
Love how people actually need to be told what resolution the game runs at, because they can't figure it for themselves. A week back people were saying it's one of the best looking console games this year, now people are all of a sudden "disappointed", as if knowing what resolution the game is running at completely changes everything.

That's based off of mostly highly compressed YouTube videos though. I find that gamers are generally very perceptive, and often complain about blur or soft IQ if a game is sub native, before they even know the resolution. Though sometimes it's also down to FXAA blur and not just resolution. But I think you're fooling yourself if you think people wouldn't have picked up on this once actually playing the game. Hell, people notice even with 900p games let alone 720p.

Eh, performance isn't going to be that relevant. I think it only matters when things are truly bad like near constant dipping, tearing, poor visuals, etc...

QB will be fine in that regard.

I was more thinking along the lines of what were seeing in this thread - 720p outrage, shit posting and glee to a score of 6/10 outrage, shit posting and glee.

Hope you're right though :)

720p and online required. .might as well upgrade to Win10 and play it there.

Ironically, it is in fact the Win 10 version that is online required, the Xbox One version lets you download all the live action parts via a DLC, but the Win 10 version is streaming only citing file size concern.

It never looked like 1080p. It was always super blurry, but I thought 900p at worst. A linear game running at 720p/30fps is nothing but disappointing.

Apathy

Going to wait for the final judgement with the release version. Something seems off it being 720p and had tearing and non consistent 30fps. At 720 the Xbox should be able to run it without drops

Fredrik

Oh. This is the perfect example why the focus on 1080p is so bad, Ryse was the first one, the game looks gorgeus compared to everything else on the platform but 720p is such a bad PR move so few devs dare to go down that road and just decides to scale down the graphics instead and make it look ugly.

I don't have a problem with it since I think the end result looks good. Though I think when confronted with a decision like this, especially for this type of cinematic game, I would have gone with letter boxing like the Order 1886.

This too. I remember this being the case at launch with Killer Instinct and Ryse. Where people where loving the effects and visuals and then the narrative was shifted when it was revealed they weren't full HD.

I don't have a problem with it since I think the end result looks good. Though I think when confronted with a decision like this, especially for this type of cinematic game, I would have gone with letter boxing like the Order 1886.

Difference is, The Order was trying to emulate a feature film which are often presented in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Quantum Break is trying to emulate a television show which most, if not all are presented in 16:9.

Top Bottom