• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

The black bars ARE there though. You can't say that if they weren't there....that's a ridiculous argument.

The final image is 1920x800. That is what is being rendered by the GPU. It is not 1080p.

You can't then say but yeah if this and if that...wtf

That's like me saying my car has a 2.0l engine, but if that empty space in the engine bay wasn't there, it would be the same capacity as a 3.0l engine, so it's really a 3.0l engine....

Like dark said the pixels are still displayed as that of a 1080p image so you do not suffer the ills of an up scaled image. It looks exactly the same as what a 1080p image would

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
But it's definitely Remedy's fault for not targeting the console they're building an exclusive for!

i mean i guess, but the game still seems playable? and there's a pc version if you want the full next-gen experience.

But it's definitely Remedy's fault for not targeting the console they're building an exclusive for!

You can blame Remedy for not putting a 1920 x 1080 framebuffer at the top of their priority list. It's my preference too... but you can't say they didn't target the Xbox One. They just prioritized other things over resolution.

As I've said before, Alan Wake was still one of the best looking games on Xbox 360, *despite* the unquestionable negative that was it's low resolution frame buffer.

Again, that was because of extensive alpha and great real time lighting, much as we're seeing on Quantum Break... and while I can't speak for Quantum Break not having seen much footage of it, if you took the extensive alpha and real time lighting out of Alan Wake it wouldn't be the same game at all. No fog. No pine trees. No volumetric lights.

Whatever that game at 720p would have been on Xbox 360, it wouldn't have been anything like the game we got (and a game I love).

So perhaps sometimes the trade off is worth it. Alan Wake would be a clear example of when it was. As such I'm willing to give Remedy the benefit of the doubt until I see how important the effects they're using are to the game design and atmosphere of the title. Maybe they'll just be needless eye candy and I'll wish they focused on hitting 1920 x 1080.

But I'm not going to lose any sleep over the resolution of the framebuffer on Xbox One. Doubly so since they're giving me the PC version too.

TSM

Not at all. Many games drop resolution during cutscenes to use higher quality effects or assets. Some do that with black bars. Some do it with lower resolution framebuffers.

The bolded isn't lowering the resolution. That is just rendering to less of the framebuffer. As long as you aren't scaling then you are rendering to the native resolution.

If you make a 2D game where you have a floor, your sprites and a black background does this game suddenly have a dynamic resolution depending on which portions of the black background are covered at any particular frame?

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
The black bars ARE there though. You can't say that if they weren't there....that's a ridiculous argument.

The final image is 1920x800. That is what is being rendered by the GPU. It is not 1080p.

You can't then say but yeah if this and if that...wtf

That's like me saying my car has a 2.0l engine, but if that empty space in the engine bay wasn't there, it would be the same capacity as a 3.0l engine, so it's really a 3.0l engine....

Come on man use your brain let's take an easy example for you.

A 4 pieces puzzle only has 4 pieces in it right ?

Then you take a 100 pieces puzzle you just remove the bttom row of pieces then the top row of pieces (the row are the black bars).

Does the remaining image has a lower pieces density than the puzzle had before removing those rows?

SOR5

Lack of 1080p doesn't bother me too much.

I will probably pick up an xboxone just for this game. It looks fantastic to me. I love games like Alan Wake that try to be really narrative and gameplay based. And they do stories really well. I'm also a sucker for time travel tales.

I just hope the framerate dips aren't too bad. That can be annoying and take you out of the game. 1080p is really nice, but if the game is good you don't notice 720p at all. But framerate dips are always jarring and take you out.

A consistent framerate and a good art design is the best outcome, lets hope these dips have been fixed.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wasn't it also confirmed by RAD President that the game would perform the exact same with the full resolution, that it was all design choice? Or am I misremembering a tweet or Gaf post or two?

Given the game doesn't quite hold 30fps at all times, that'd only be true if what the black bars obscure is nonetheless being rendered, which I very much doubt is the case.

Wasn't it also confirmed by RAD President that the game would perform the exact same with the full resolution, that it was all design choice? Or am I misremembering a tweet or Gaf post or two?
I think they would have to drop from 4X MSAA to 2X if they rendered at 16x9 1080p.

It might have been a design choice - I believe it's 800p w/ 4xMSAA too as opposed to 1080 w/0 or 2x. All things being equal, there would be a performance difference if there was further screen real-estate being rendered.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
http://m.neogaf.com/showpost.php?p=151162076

They did it for more AA 2x instead of 4x

Gotcha.

As for this, it looks good for the resolution, the added heavy noise filter in some shots I suppose helps 'soften the jaggies', and I did wonder the resolution since the game did appear soft in gameplay vids versus 'official shots'. It still is a little disappointing on the technical side almost 3 years in, and 720p/30 with still some performance issues.

It might have been a design choice - I believe it's 800p w/ 4xMSAA too as opposed to 1080 w/0 or 2x. All things being equal, there would be a performance difference if there was further screen real-estate being rendered.

I think they would have to drop from 4X MSAA to 2X if they rendered at 16x9 1080p.

Given the game doesn't quite hold 30fps at all times, that'd only be true if what the black bars obscure is nonetheless being rendered, which I very much doubt is the case.

Found it from the DF analysis. Thanks for the memory refresh, lol.

Ready at Dawn has previously noted that it is using 4x multi-sampling anti-aliasing (MSAA) which, at 1920x800, is more demanding on the GPU than a full HD framebuffer using post-process AA.

Gitaroo

LOL at that second video on DF, another typical DF article that try to down play xbox tech crap show. Alan Wake 360 was very very noticeable and blurry compare to PC running at a native 720p resolution. QB will be even more noticeable comparing to PC version at native 1080p resolution.

Kezen

Banned
The very low res reflections really stick out like a sore thumb.
7KaDvvC.jpg

I have no hope of the PC version having better ones.

Then you take a 100 pieces puzzle you just remove the bttom row of pieces then the top row of pieces (the row are the black bars).

Does the remaining image has a lower pieces density than the puzzle had before removing those rows?

No. But is the puzzle easier now that it has less pieces? Yes.

That's why it's important to consider when we're weighing up one game against another. I personally prefer games to go 21:9 like the Order did, than do what Ryse did... but eitherway both are drawing about the same number of pixels, and both are using that reduction in number of pixels to push other things further than they could at 1920 x 1080.

Is it fair to compare The Order and Uncharted 4, say, without considering that The Order is drawing less pixels? I'd say no.

LostDonkey

Yes. Those pieces of the puzzle I just removed are now sitting in a pile next to me. The black bars (rows) don't have pieces in, they are just black. We're just going to have to disagree. I don't want to derail this into an Order discussion any more really.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What the hell at that animation/shooting right at the beginning. It looks like there literally isn't any animation for aiming, he just snaps up into shooting position instantly. Dude is crouched facing left, then immediately snaps his body 180 degrees so he's facing right and aiming. Then he's up against that pillar aim around the left side of it, but the character is still aiming with his body facing right, and he shoots straight through the pillar. That stuff doesn't look great.

yEg0TGz.gif
Where are the bullet casings? Dammit Remedy, this isn't your first rodeo.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Yes. Those pieces of the puzzle I just removed are now sitting in a pile next to me. The black bars (rows) don't have pieces in, they are just black. We're just going to have to disagree. I don't want to derail this into an Order discussion any more really.

So you agree on the same pixel density it's just the choice of a ratio that bothers you.
In an easier for you to get take any 1080p games slap the same bars on it and count the total pixel it'll be the same a the Order but yes let's stop arguing there even more since I got to go.

Going by the screenshots posted a couple of pages ago the image quality looks pretty good for a 720p game. Its a very soft image, but a soft image isn't necessarily bad. They did a good job hiding aliasing.

What the hell at that animation/shooting right at the beginning. It looks like there literally isn't any animation for aiming, he just snaps up into shooting position instantly.

I noticed that too. At first I thought its was an actual cut in the video until I noticed that its still the same scene and there is just no aimation for going into ADS.
Looks very disorientating in the video.

The reason why resolution is important is because it the biggest factor for image quality.
Having a sub native resolution and scaling the image up to fit the 1920*1080p screen hurts image quality.
The Order however has a native resolution, nothing is upscaled.

Thatswhy it makes no sense to compare The Order to subnative games. Upscaling is the problem, not the resolution.
If Quantum Break would be displayed unscaled on your TV its image quality would be as good as if it was a native 1080p game, there would just be black bars on all sides of the image. But once you blow that image up to fit the screen the image quality takes a hit.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
No. But is the puzzle easier now that it has less pieces? Yes.

That's why it's important to consider when we're weighing up one game against another. I personally prefer games to go 21:9 like the Order did, than do what Ryse did... but eitherway both are drawing about the same number of pixels, and both are using that reduction in number of pixels to push other things further than they could at 1920 x 1080.

Is it fair to compare The Order and Uncharted 4, say, without considering that The Order is drawing less pixels? I'd say no.

I agree but that wasn't the point it was just a point about pixel density which remains the same.
On the power side of course it's easier to run a game with black bars than a game without it at the same pixel density.

TSM

Fair? If one looks obviously better than the other, then it looks better than the other. You can't just reason it into not looking better.

nomis

This just in: Global Illumination ain't fuckin cheap

This is why so many current gen engine iterations are cutting it.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I mean you do pixel counting for a job. In your opinion is the order 1080p or is it not?

Not to derail the thread, but just for my own information I would like to know. I've seen a lot of reasoning trying to say it is, but it's 800...it can't be 1080.
Yeah, it pixel counts at 1080p which is why it works.

Letter-boxing at 1920x800 allowed them to avoid the real issue with lower resolutions and fixed pixel displays. 1600x900 would look just fine on a 1600x900 monitor, for instance, but when you scale it to 1080p, it becomes much softer due to scaling artefacts.

So The Order really shouldn't be used as an example of double standards, as some people have attempted, since it misses why lower resolutions are a problem in the first place.

Yeah, it pixel counts at 1080p which is why it works.

Letter-boxing at 1920x800 allowed them to avoid the real issue with lower resolutions and fixed pixel displays. 1600x900 would look just fine on a 1600x900 monitor, for instance, but when you scale it to 1080p, it becomes much softer due to scaling artefacts.

So The Order really shouldn't be used as an example of double standards, as some people have attempted, since it misses why lower resolutions are a problem in the first place.

I used other games as double standards also

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
This just in: Global Illumination ain't fuckin cheap

This is why so many current gen engine iterations are cutting it.

Sure glad Battlefront uses Enlighten GI Solution, and has the great performance at 60FPS. Engines can be built to utilize it better in capable hands.

And seems most of Frostbite engine games are utilizing it moving forward.

Don't focus on the negative. You're doing great work.

Fun fact. I didn't buy Ryse or Dead Rising 3 on Xbox One in part because of their framebuffers and frame rates. Bought them both on PC though and I enjoyed both.

I am however a big fan of Remedy. I didn't wait to play Alan Wake on PC and I wasn't going to wait to play this on PC either, until I found out that I really didn't have to.

Heck I think I'm on record on here saying I wasn't going to play Watchdogs when I could be playing Wolfenstein at 1080p and 60 fps on PS4 (back before my most recent PC upgrade). It's one of the reasons I own more PS4 games than I own Xbox One games. Because if I can choose, I'm going to choose the game that runs natively on my displays.

BUT Alan Wake would not have been the same game on 360 without the concessions they made to resolution, so I'm glad they did what they did on that game, and I'm going to wait until I play this before deciding if what they gain from a lower resolution on the system is too small a gain for the trade off of reducing the resolution.

They earned the benefit of the doubt from me with Alan Wake on 360. Again, take out all the alpha and volumetric lighting and you've knee capped that game. Those things are fundamental to it's atmosphere *and it's gameplay*. The same could be true here.

If it isn't, I'll be wishing they targeted native resolution on Xbox One as well. Either way, I'll be playing the game at native resolution. On PC, I always drop optional and higher quality effects before I drop resolution.

But Alan Wake is a great example of a time those effects weren't optional and the resolution had to give.

What the hell at that animation/shooting right at the beginning. It looks like there literally isn't any animation for aiming, he just snaps up into shooting position instantly. Dude is crouched facing left, then immediately snaps his body 180 degrees so he's facing right and aiming. Then he's up against that pillar aim around the left side of it, but the character is still aiming with his body facing right, and he shoots straight through the pillar. That stuff doesn't look great.

yEg0TGz.gif

First page of this thread is embarrassing to read is what I came to say, but this here is a real issue.

Fair? If one looks obviously better than the other, then it looks better than the other. You can't just reason it into not looking better.

There's two things to consider. What is a game doing technically, and then what is the final output like. I would argue Alan Wake is a better looking game than say 95% of the games that ran at 720p on Xbox 360 even with it's low resolution.

Or hell, Wind Waker HD looks better to me than a shit load of Xbox One and PS4 games. Because like you say... it looks better.

But it isn't anything like as technically impressive as a lot of games that look much worse.

If someone thinks Quantum Break is one of the best looking console games they've seen, you can't say 'but it's 720p'. But if they claim it's one of the most technically impressive games, you can say, well game X does all the same effects at a higher resolution, so not really.

Is that clear enough?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-HUaba-o5_c

Actually in the tech analysis video they noticed resolution is hard to pin down, there are signs of the game outputting higher than 720p, citing some of the texture detail does not have the typical upscaled blurriness.

Very curious on what exactly Remedy did here.

Yeah, some of the text on that chain link fence looks maybe more detailed than you'd think to have originally been rendered at 720p. But like Dark says... whatever they've done, the end result is *very* soft and mostly consistent with 720p.

I tell you this, scale any of the screenshots down to 720p and the textures look a shit load better. So I'm leaning more towards the geometry and textures being rendered at 720p than not.

etta

my hard graphic balls
Looks like a compromise in service of more responsive gameplay. (the character snapping up when aiming)

Yea it looks weird but I'll reserve judgement for that particular issue until I play it. I am guessing it won't even be noticeable except for maybe the first time you see it, it probably won't be a constant issue type thing.

big fake

What res is HALO 5 being rendered at? Their 60fps targeting no doubt related in a 16:9 that isn't entirely 1080p correctly.

Huh. I wonder if maybe, just maybe, it's because this is a tech thread specifically about the resolution/framerate/performance of the game and not how hype we all are.

Let's not kid ourselves. This is GAF. If there was a hype thread, the majority of posts would be about "dat 720p doe".

Looks like a compromise in service of more responsive gameplay.

It's a pretty bad compromise, skipping entire animations is their only solution? It'd make sense in a twitchy gamey shooter but this one is trying to blur the line between gameplay and TV.

zsynqx

It's a pretty bad compromise, skipping entire animations is their only solution? It'd make sense in a twitchy gamey shooter but this one is trying to blur the line between gameplay and TV.

Like etta said, you are unlikely to notice this when playing the game.

nib95

Banned
720p at 30fps with dips...did we even leave last gen? Don't get me wrong, it's a good looking game, and I'm still buying it, but 720p is just massively disappointing and will no doubt look blurry, especially on the 50" and 65" TV's I game on these days. When the PS3/360 came out, I was gaming on 32" and 42" TV's, so ironically 720p would have been less noticeable back then.

I legitimately believe that we'll see sub-HD Xbone games in a year or two.

I don't think so. At some point the hit image quality take by choosing a lower resolution isn't worth the graphical effects you can put in in return.
If you lower resolution to much the image quality becomes so bad that all the graphical fanciness you put in doesn't really shine anymore.
Imagine what kind of awesome graphical effects developers could put in if the would render at PSP resolution(480*272 iirc), but blow that up to 1080p and it doesn't matter how high quality the effects are, they just won't shine.

Developers always have to walk a thin line. Its always a compromise when you have limited hardware power.

LowSignal

resolution isn't everything to me but 720p is a little disappointing, as was Battlefront's resolution on both systems. I can see why both companies want to upgrade their hardware already.

-griffy-

Banned
Looks like a compromise in service of more responsive gameplay. (the character snapping up when aiming)

I think there's a better way to compromise though, while still making it look more natural. You snap the camera in immediately when you press the trigger, and you immediately have control of the aim, and the character animates into position lagging behind the camera/control a bit. It's theoretically the same compromise to provide responsiveness, only the cheat is that you are aiming/shooting a few frames before the character model is actually in the aiming position, rather than a cheat where the character instantly jumps to the aiming position.

Top Bottom