• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry hands-on Quantum Break (XB1)

I was more thinking along the lines of what were seeing in this thread - 720p outrage, shit posting and glee to a score of 6/10 outrage, shit posting and glee.

Hope you're right though :)
Oh, I see what you're saying.

Yeah, unfortunately, it comes with the territory in almost every major release now lol.

Personally, 720p and up is fine with me. I would prefer 1080p but it is what it is. This may also stem from me having dropped the PS3 in January 2015 when I got my PS4. So, 720p is an upgrade over what I was still playing just a little over a year ago. Even beyond that, as long as you can clearly see everything, it doesn't matter.

EvB

Difference is, The Order was trying to emulate a feature film which are often presented in a 2.35:1 aspect ratio. Quantum Break is trying to emulate a television show which most, if not all are presented in 16:9.

They should have set it in 2002, then they would also have a piss poor excuse

Welfare

Alan Wake ran at something ridiculous like 544p on the 360 in 2010. Expecting more than 720p is kinda out there for this game.

Gbraga

The bad news I get from this is that there's no way my current PC will run this well if it's 720p on Xbone :p

Will definitely wait for Pascal before I play it.

Gbraga

Just like it can't run Battlefield 4 or Battlefront? It's not a good indicator.

I never played these games, actually, so I'm not sure how well they run :p

I'm barely above minimum requirements. I was thinking that, since it was 1080/30 on Xbone, I would be fine and would have a similar experience, but I'm not sure I want a similar experience to the one we have on Xbox with Pascal so close.

EvB

Alan Wake ran at something ridiculous like 544p on the 360 in 2010. Expecting more than 720p is kinda out there for this game.

I don't think it is out there at all, but it's not a surprise.

Back in 2010 When Alan Wake was marketed as 720p but actually turned out to be 960*544p everyone was outraged, this is just the direct sequel to this.

This was when Beyond 3D was the only pixel counter and nobody could actually work out what resolution the game was.

Presumably they've been showing the PC version.

Whenever there's a multi platform game, it's safe to assume it's the PC version being shown.

No, they only showed the Pc version in the spring showcase, and even then only the xbone version was allowed to be recorded.

I never played these games, actually, so I'm not sure how well they run :p

I'm barely above minimum requirements. I was thinking that, since it was 1080/30 on Xbone, I would be fine and would have a similar experience, but I'm not sure I want a similar experience to the one we have on Xbox with Pascal so close.

Pascal ain't that close, the real Pascal card (the ti) won't be out until next year.

hesido

As long as it looks dandy, it could be any p. This game is a looker and ain't no pixel counter can change my thoughts.

DirtyLarry

While somewhat disappointing, my first exposure to Max Payne back in the days was the Mac port who I believe was done by either MacSoft or Aspyr.

My reason for even bringing this up, and there is one, is while I know for sure I did not have the greatest of technical experiences because I played Max Payne on a Mac (I did play the subsequent releases on PC), it is still one of my favorite games to this day.

I have always had faith in Remedy. And I play there games for the gameplay first. Nice visuals is an added bonus, but not necessary for me to truly enjoy their games. My experience with Max Payne is proof of that.

Astral Dog

720P, christ. I understand the xbox one is underpowered...but they couldn't even achieve 900p?

But 900p is just the typical/common resolution of Xbox One games...

Anyways, thats exatly why its lower, Xbox One games are mostly 900p and for some reason Remedy needed it to be lower, im surprised MS let them though.

They should have set it in 2002, then they would also have a piss poor excuse
The aspect ratio in The Order isn't a "piss poor excuse" considering it's what they had planned since the games conception. Also, if QB was released in 2002 and they were still aiming for the television look, the aspect ratio would be 4:3 because that was the standard for television at the time.

I don't think it is out there at all, but it's not a surprise.

Back in 2010 When Alan Wake was marketed as 720p but actually turned out to be 960*544p everyone was outraged, this is just the direct sequel to this.

This was when Beyond 3D was the only pixel counter and nobody could actually work out what resolution the game was.

Alan wake was not only marketed, it ran at 720p quite close to release.

It was late in development that Remedy opted for 540 with 4xAA to make up for it.

How can it be 720p since it looks so damn good? No one was concerned about resolution before this, even when we have seen so much gameplay on Xbox One already.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
720P, 30 fps on XB1? Well of course it is. Get used to it if you plan on gaming soley on your XB1.

Alienous

How can it be 720p since it looks so damn good? No one was concerned about resolution before this, even when we have seen so much gameplay on Xbox One already.

Regarding your first sentence it being 720p is why it looks good with regards to effects. But that is all filtered through a subpar resolution.

Regarding your second sentence people were less concerned due to being informed the game would run at 1080p.

Regarding your first sentence it being 720p is why it looks good with regards to effects. But that is all filtered through a subpar resolution.

Regarding your second sentence people were less concerned due to being informed the game would run at 1080p.

So people couldnt notice?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
720P, 30 fps on XB1? Well of course it is. Get used to it if you plan on gaming soley on your XB1.
Let's be fair here, Alan Wake also ran at a resolution far lower than most 360 titles. I don't think it's a bad omen for the future or anything.

Let's be fair here, Alan Wake also ran at a resolution far lower than most 360 titles. I don't think it's a bad omen for the future or anything.

I totally agree. If people feel better pointing and laughing at this game for being 720p they can max it out on PC. I am just happy we get another remedy game.

I will play at 720p and whatever my pc will run it at (damn you MS for not supporting my Gsync)

I think it is sad that a game is 720p on xbox one, but there will obviously be reasons for it. The effects look nuts so I know deep down that it must be a taxing game on the hardware.

Roll on launch day Can not wait!

jony_m

Being selfish, this means the did not compromise to reach a target resolution for PR reasons. Assuming of course the PC version is well optimized and resolution is unlocked, etc.

Quotient

Disappointing that folks are fine with 720p30. If resolution and framerate arent important why not just have the game render at 640x480 with an immense number of effects.

Thankfully the game is also available on pc so we can actually run it at native resolution without any scaling artifacts.

gamz

I totally agree. If people feel better pointing and laughing at this game for being 720p they can max it out on PC. I am just happy we get another remedy game.

I will play at 720p and whatever my pc will run it at (damn you MS for not supporting my Gsync)

I think it is sad that a game is 720p on xbox one, but there will obviously be reasons for it. The effects look nuts so I know deep down that it must be a taxing game on the hardware.

Roll on launch day Can not wait!

All day this! I'm just glad to finally play this game. The shit looks taxing as hell.

I've never wanted or even thought of a gaming PC, but this cross buy stuff is really making me very tempted.

Fezan

I never found Qb to be impressive in any way. Even the facial expressions looked somewhat stiff and odd. But I wont deny that this game has a different visual presentation to most games.

But this is remedy game and I am so hyped for it.

Theorry

It didnt sound like Jim sterling was affected by the resolution of this game. He said he was enjoying it

Same with Jackfrags who is used to play on high end pc's and always knows his stuff. And he said in his latest vid it was 1080p when he played the xbox version and he was told it was 1080p. I mean he could be wrong. But if it was 720p instead of 1080p he for sure would have noticed it. Or maybe it is 720p but the best looking ever. Even NX Gamer said in his technical preview it was 1080p. I dont know. All of this sounds weird.

Top Bottom