• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Digital Foundry: Hands-on with DriveClub (second tech preview)

Freeman

Banned
The graphics are really impressive but the gameplay doesn't feel like it's nexgen.

I think they focused to much on the looks and forgot about the fact that it's a game. It plays just like any other game where you drive a car and we've had plenty of those last gen.

The track design is just uninspired, I can see plenty of chest-high walls on the side of the road, I thought we were past that point.

Loudninja

Game looks fantastic but...haven't heard much of anything about its game mechanics :S
Ah not true.

The graphics are really impressive but the gameplay doesn't feel like it's nexgen.

I think they focused to much on the looks and forgot about the fact that it's a game. It plays just like any other game where you drive a car and we've had plenty of those last gen.

The track design is just uninspired, I can see plenty of chest-high walls on the side of the road, I tough we were past that point.
Heh so awesome.

bombshell

We all know that the Xbox One is underpowered compared to the PS4. The developer should look for a mid point between graphics and performance, and this mid point is not the same for both platforms. If your game is already looking great and you have extra resources that can be used to output 60fps OR to achieve photorealism the first option is the way to go (IMO). If you don't have those extra resources then you are fucked, because you won't be able to output 60fps nor achieve photorealism. That's what happens when you are developing an open world game for a weaker hardware. Playground Games had to face those limitations, limitations that were non-existent for Evolution during Driveclub's development. That's why Forza Horizon 2 gets the free pass and that's why i can't understand Evolution's decision.

You are really reaching in your pro-Xbox justifications. The PS4 is notably more powerful than Xbone, but not 100% more powerful, which a 60 fps vs 30 fps jump would need in order to run the same level of graphics.

FH2 is a slideshow in your own words no matter how you try to spin it.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Naturally. I'm handsome as fuck but I look like shit in photographs where I'm running full pelt or falling over.

just in case you weren't sure i was actually complimenting the game. for some reason some of the screens out there look terrible. but i think the game looks amazing in the direct feed videos :)

Renekton

when in one case you've got a fixed route that basically is half screen wide, and on the other anything can happen.
Well both games are both still streaming scenes in additively depending on car location. I'm just wondering if accounting for free-roaming during level streaming is expensive.

The track design is just uninspired, I can see plenty of chest-high walls on the side of the road, I thought we were past that point.

05-The-Rock.gif

You almost got me there lol.

image.php

keit4

Banned
You are really reaching in your pro-Xbox justifications. The PS4 is notably more powerful than Xbone, but not 100% more powerful, which a 60 fps vs 30 fps jump would need in order to run the same level of graphics.

FH2 is a slideshow in your own words no matter how you try to spin it.

I think that the reference was too niche for a lot of people.

It's obvious that i don't care about games being 30fps. I'm not that cynical. I care about decisions that affect gameplay.

More I think about it the more obvious it is, but have to ask anyway. The weather update is just a free update so the free PS+ version will still get the weather turned on when it hits right?

Will likely be playing that version till November.

You almost had me. That was really good.

bombshell

More I think about it the more obvious it is, but have to ask anyway. The weather update is just a free update so the free PS+ version will still get the weather turned on when it hits right?

Will likely be playing that version till November.

Yes, free version gets weather update too.

Looks great. I usually don't stick with racers for long but I'm soo pumped there's the Ps+ edition. I'll play that and if it's great I'll pick up the retail one. By having the ps+ version it'll be one of the lowest risk purchases to go to the full

Twinsen you da man

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just want a track based racing game with a great presentation, solid controls, and a nice soundtrack. There really aren't enough racing games that I can just pop-in and play. All of those open world racers are so hard for me to get back into for some reason so I always go back to Ridge Racer or PGR.

I do think going 30 fps will be a mistake in the long run. I was just playing PGR1 and 2 recently and feel that PGR1 has aged much MUCH better as a result of its frame-rate (and lack of awful trilinear filtering). PGR3 and 4 still work due to high quality motion blur, though, but PGR2 feels chunky.

Cubed

This is one of the few times 30fps just doesn't matter to me. Evo did it right by locking that ish at 30, adding proper motion blur to help with the sensation if speed, and making the graphics worthy of a 30fps drop.

Just my opinion.

Fitts

Some of the people behind PGR are working on this.

539b5767954a5477135540.gif

Why am I just now hearing of this?! I've seen plenty of hints indicating that this may play similarly to PGR but had no idea of the actual dev pedigree. My interest in this has just risen exponentially.

EDIT: Also, this is indeed looking excellent!

benzy

I just want a track based racing game with a great presentation, solid controls, and a nice soundtrack. There really aren't enough racing games that I can just pop-in and play. All of those open world racers are so hard for me to get back into for some reason so I always go back to Ridge Racer or PGR.

I do think going 30 fps will be a mistake in the long run. I was just playing PGR1 and 2 recently and feel that PGR1 has aged much MUCH better as a result of its frame-rate (and lack of awful trilinear filtering). PGR3 and 4 still work due to high quality motion blur, though, but PGR2 feels chunky.

PGR2s refresh rate for the controls weren't as high as PGR3/4's, even though they all ran at 30fps, so it felt a bit off. Evo has paid attention to that issue in Driveclub.

Talking briefly on its physics engine, Perkins explains how the game's handling model is designed to keep latency as low as possible. "The update rate for how it comes into place, tyre to surface, suspension to car, is much quicker than the actual refresh rate."

"The latency is as small as we could possibly make it.
One of the things we [also] did when we were coming up with the PlayStation 4 itself was work heavily with the guys designing the controller, to make it much more responsive and much easier to use with driving games as well."

Kimppis

I'm one of those guys who doesn't play racing games at all (I don't even have a driver's licence, and I don't give a fuck about cars in general), but this game looks so amazing that I have to get it. Can't. Resist.

[IM]http://user-cdn.spring.me/photos/20140613/539b5767954a5477135540.gif[/IMG]

Why am I just now hearing of this?! I've seen plenty of hints indicating that this may play similarly to PGR but had no idea of the actual dev pedigree. My interest in this has just risen exponentially.

Ged Talbot, one of the leads from PGR3 and the lead of PGR4, is working on it. We just aren't sure what his role is.

PGR2s refresh rate for the controls weren't as high as PGR3/4's, even though they all ran at 30fps, so it felt a bit off. Evo has paid attention to that issue in Driveclub.

It'll be interesting to see if the managed to get it as low as Hot Pursuit (83ms). DigitalFoundry said that was the lowest input lag that they've ever seen for a 30fps game. 60fps are usually at 66ms and 30fps are generally 100ms are a minimum. That's what made HP's low input lag standout.

Outstanding. Great to read this. I need to read the article and not just snippets here brb

Fitts

Ged Talbot, one of the leads from PGR3 and the lead of PGR4, is working on it. We just aren't sure what his role is.

Thank you for quelling my ignorance. I haven't been watching this game too closely, but I really don't know how I let this bit of info slip by.

RoKKeR

Wait, the game is shipping without weather? What? I thought that was like the big takeaways from the delay?

Wait, the game is shipping without weather? What? I thought that was like the big takeaways from the delay?

They've said on a number of occasion the primary reason for the delay was getting the social aspects correct. They also used the time to add more courses, tracks & cars. As for the weather, not sure if this was added due to the time afforded by the delay or if it was in the mix already.

Percy

Banned
That's what happens when you are developing an open world game for a weaker hardware. Playground Games had to face those limitations, limitations that were non-existent for Evolution during Driveclub's development. That's why Forza Horizon 2 gets the free pass and that's why i can't understand Evolution's decision.

Does it fuck! It's another 30fps racer just like this, just like the rest and you either find a racing game running at 30fps acceptable or you don't. Any attempts to justify one 30fps racer somehow being more acceptable than another 30fps racer is just console warrior cripple fight bullshit as far as I'm concerned.

Cream your pants over Forza Horizon 2 if you like, but lets not be putting forth any pretentions about the reasoning for it.

p3tran

Banned

I dont know what will happen in the far future and how will dc age, but I was just playing nfs rivals and have to agree with you on the motion blur thing.
not that it is a substidute or a cover up, but for that no matter how well its done, it just shows (or "feels" is the better word) that it covers.

It'll be interesting to see if the managed to get it as low as Hot Pursuit (83ms). DigitalFoundry said that was the lowest input lag that they've ever seen for a 30fps game. 60fps are usually at 66ms and 30fps are generally 100ms are a minimum. That's what made HP's low input lag standout.
-its Ged Talbot, and Ray Urtone. the latter did most/all the trailers for pgr, and of course some dc trailers.

-about inputs and performance, thats what I want to see too. of course along with the handling, since I have never had a hands on with dc.

NastyBook

Dunno if you left the t out of nextgen on purpose, but that made the post for me.

I don't believe weather was ever on the cards for them, until fans recently started asking (begging) for it.

Don't quote me on that, though.

Kayant

We all know that the Xbox One is underpowered compared to the PS4. The developer should look for a mid point between graphics and performance, and this mid point is not the same for both platforms.

If your game is already looking great and you have extra resources that can be used to output 60fps OR to achieve photorealism the first option is the way to go (IMO).

Driveclub looked rough this time last year. They were always aiming for realism and the game was always 30fps(Actually it had performance issues at the time), they have never released 60fps footage and never promised the game will be 60fps.
Playground Games had to face those limitations, limitations that were non-existent for Evolution during Driveclub's development. That's why Forza Horizon 2 gets the free pass and that's why i can't understand Evolution's decision
You called DC a "slideshow" because it's 30fps, FH2 being open-world is still a "sildeshow" by your standards. There really isn't a free pass there. It's still going to be a "slideshow". FH2 could be 60fps just like DC could be 60fps but expect you have evidence pointing to DC being able to do 60fps and open world there you can't really be saying the resources saved from not being open-world and PS4 being more powerful would be enough to get it to be 60fps. Also let's not forget FH2 is aiming for realism also, so by your merit they should have dropped that goal and aimed for 60fps(Not claiming it is/not possible am just going will your assumptions).

I don't believe weather was ever on the cards for them, until fans recently started asking (begging) for it.

Don't quote me on that, though.

It was mentioned at the initial announcement. But it wasn't going to be ready for the game if it were a launch title. The way they talked about it back then made me think that the weather would probably be ready in late 2014 as they said that the game would be very different a year from its release.

Top Bottom